The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 21 August 2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Planning a 14kt gold nib Lamy LX

I saw some pics of the new Lamy LX coming out this fall and I knew I had to have one in yellow gold. It's pretty much an Al-star with some minor variations like the clip being plated gold to match the rest of the pen. Packaging is different and the Lamy logo is sort of polished and "double anodized" whatever that means. It also has a slightly different steel nib in black. I got to thinking though and decided to order a pvd black medium 14kt gold Z57 nib from a Lamy imporium this afternoon. Completely not cost effective but I'm not really into the imporium but I do like the nib and the idea of putting a nice springy nib on an cool looking cheaper Lamy. I think it will be a fun work pen. I have a Lamy Al-star in copper orange that I drive at work now and then, sometimes with a 1.9mm stub I like the aluminum Lamys so this new one should be entertaining. Keeps me from having a monopoly on the Omas market lately

Lamy imporium Z57 nib
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.8 KB, 132 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

New Lamy LX in yellow gold. I'm really excited about this pen. I've been on a yellow gold kick since picking up my day date lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (67.4 KB, 132 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 4 September 2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Got the nib in from Greece today. That took forever. I have it on my Lamy Al-Star until mid sept when the LX ships. It's a nice nib. I would say about like a Montegrappa NeroUno gold nib but the 14kt Lamy is a little more springy. The steel Lamy nib is fine but this gold nib is just more interesting to write with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 4 September 2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Front end pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 24 September 2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I put in my official order for the pen the other day. Looks like they'll be shipping next week. I put in for a bottle of Diamine shimmering golden sands also. I think it will match nicely to the yellow gold finish of the LX and the 14kt gold nib I'm going to use from an imporium. Just call me gold member I guess lol. This pen should be an awesome daily driver I suspect with a little flair! Really looking forward to it. I also put in for a noodlers ahab with a flex nib to get some calligraphy action going. Watch out for that!
Old 24 September 2016, 10:50 PM   #6
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Love that nib. I have a cheap Lamy Safari that is clear plastic and it makes a great office pen. Don't care if it gets beat up and the fine nib writes great for a cheap FP. A good change of pace from the MB FP's and roller balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 08:33 PM   #7
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

My daily is a Lamy gold nib. It has been by far my favorite across most types of paper. Can't stop recommending it.
orlandoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I also own a Lamy 'Safari' that I bought in 2012 which came with a 14K Nib. I still enjoy using this FP but have offered it to our son if he would like to get started with a very good fountain pen…..

Nowadays I believe Lamy no longer offers this option…but of course I could be wrong!!!

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I also own a Lamy 'Safari' that I bought in 2012 which came with a 14K Nib. I still enjoy using this FP but have offered it to our son if he would like to get started with a very good fountain pen…..

Nowadays I believe Lamy no longer offers this option…but of course I could be wrong!!!

Take care…..Leo

Wow that's a rare bird!! I've never even heard of that option on a safari. I think they should still offer it though. It seems there's a market for us crazy pen enthusiasts for a "sleeper" awesome Lamy. I'm inspired to unseat my Omas tomorrow at work for the Al-star.
Old 28 September 2016, 09:17 AM   #10
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

According to my local Lamy dealer, you can order the 14kt nib and mod the safari. Seems to be about a $40USD option?
Old 28 September 2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoboom View Post
According to my local Lamy dealer, you can order the 14kt nib and mod the safari. Seems to be about a $40USD option?

If so, $40 for the nib is an awesome deal! I put down $90 just for the nib. It was the cheapest I could find one.
Old 28 September 2016, 10:18 AM   #12
orlandoboom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
If so, $40 for the nib is an awesome deal! I put down $90 just for the nib. It was the cheapest I could find one.
I think Lamy did a big price hike recently. I can only back this up with my surprise in finding the new Lamy 2000 anniversary edition is around $500 out the door local to me.
Old 2 October 2016, 09:11 AM   #13
Tazmo
Banned

seems silly
Tazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21670
My first fountain pen in the late 60's was a Lamy 2000. Never worked so well, but I loved it anyway. What a great design !
Lamy has always been "modern".
The Lamy nib you show ..... by the way ... is spectacular !!
Rafael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael M View Post
My first fountain pen in the late 60's was a Lamy 2000. Never worked so well, but I loved it anyway. What a great design !
Lamy has always been "modern".
The Lamy nib you show ..... by the way ... is spectacular !!

Thank you Sir. It's a very nice writer! I'm pretty amazed at the price Lamy is asking for their anniversary 2000. I haven't shopped street prices yet but I really hope they're much lower than retail for these.
Old 5 October 2016, 05:42 PM   #16
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

The Lamy is due in today and I'm pretty excited about it. I also have a gold nib, ebonite feed montegrappa coming in too. We'll talk about that in another thread though