The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2013, 11:16 AM   #31
Quix
"TRF" Member

That was a really great review, and the pictures were outstanding. I have 009j3 with the solid stainless bracelet. I just got that one, but, had another one a few years back after I sold my subdate. As I look at the beautiful subs and gmts now, I find myself thinking, "I wish they had days, too like my seiko." lol.

My one quibble with my seiko, other than it not being a Rolex, is the Lume is one the back end of the seconds hand. I know, that's a small thing to notice in a watch that you can't wind manually or hack.

Thanks again for taking the time for that great review.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2013, 07:23 AM   #32
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
This is a great review. When I was in Afghanistan I actually read this review after a google search led me here. I didnt know TRF, and did not own a Rolex. I ordered the 009 and 007 via Amazon and swapped out the bracelets for a "super" jubilee and oyster which totally changed the weight and heft of the watch, which I liked. Then came my Rolex sub and these went away via eBay. It was a great watch, and I totally fell in love with the sweeping seconds hand. The poor mans hack, and time tested movement sold me. I will say that if I have children and want to pass down one of my Rolex's, I will complete a test run with a Seiko first. If they fall in love, then I know a Sub is for them.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:11 PM   #33
Quix
"TRF" Member

Armguy, thank you for your Service.

Yes, putting on one of these after wearing a 16610 is a bit disappointing, but, after trying on the 116610 last week at a local AD, I was reminded of why I my desire for a Rolex was sparked in the first place. The 007 and 009's are great autos for the money and I'm never embarrassed to wear one. I picked the 009 because of the seiko version of the Pepsi bezel, and there are some minor touches to it that, to me, doesn't make it look like it is trying too hard to look like a Rolex. It is a design that was obviously greatly influenced by the sub, but, in my opinion it beats wearing a homage watch to a sub. I like to think of it as seiko marrying the day date with a sub but with no flash. It's a dependable plugger of a watch, and one I think that owning one will definitely teach a kid about the values and responsibilities of taking care of something that requires more of an understanding of how a watch works beyond replacing a battery. That's a good thought on your part to use it as a starter watch for a young man. It's a relatively cheap way to see if he'll catch the fever.
Old 25 January 2013, 01:26 PM   #34
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
Quix,

A lot of contractors where over in AFG, and A LOT retired Navy. When I wore the watch and looked around, I saw A LOT of the 009's out there. I will say that I ended up getting the Rolex as it was a deployment gift, and I fell in love with the Sub, IN LOVE. My SS Sub only became flashy when I used this new cleaner, and now it just sparkles (LOL). I catch my office mates staring at when I talk, as I use my hands a lot. I did feel kinda "lame" when I ran into a guy at a BMW dealership wearing a Pepsi GMT (before I even knew what a GMT was). I LOVED the look, and a GMT will def be a must have after I get my 2 Liner Sub No Date (if things go right, those will be my last two, acquired later this year).
Old 25 January 2013, 11:31 PM   #35
Quix
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean about falling in love with the sub. I had the older version a few years back, which I bought when I was a bit younger and honestly didn't know what I was doing other than treating myself to a rolex. Admittedly it was an emotional purchase and I sold it to a friend a few years later when I found myself hardly wearing it.

I wasn't wearing a watch for years, due to my cellphone having the time on it, but, I've actually found that if I'm on a date or out with friends or clients, pulling out my phone to check the time looks like I'm being rude and they think I'm checking emails or text messages. I never really thought much about it, but, when I got the seiko as a cheap holdover for a sub, I feel much more comfortable about a quick glance at my watch without looking like I'm ignoring the people I'm with.

I am kicking around the idea of a new sub, but, I'm a bit taken aback by how much the prices have increased, even if buying from a great seller on here. I don't necessarily consider it an investment, but, I'm convincing myself that the rolex would hold its value much more than say a car over time, and, if I ever had kids, I would love to have an heirloom to pass on to them, even if a sub isn't the rarest of watches. Still, they are so easy to fall in love with.
Old 26 January 2013, 02:40 AM   #36
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Nice review... I have had my 007 for about 6 months and it still runs about 4min fast per week.. Other than that, I love it and do everything with it
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 12:40 AM   #37
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Gorgeous SKX009! Send her over to me, if it's not getting wear! ;)
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 02:39 PM   #38
RolexExplor
Banned

heres mine but its not the 009 or 007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140729_185658.jpg (102.2 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 20140729_185714.jpg (98.2 KB, 267 views)
RolexExplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2014, 01:15 AM   #39
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
One of the best watches ever made for the money.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2014, 01:46 AM   #40
ssultan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The SKX009/007 have been my go to dressier daily beaters for many years. The problem with gshocks is that though indestructible (and I've tried), they just don't transition well to being a work watch or a going out watch if your plans change on the fly. I used to take two watches on vacation, a gshock and a dressier watch but as I work slowly towards simplifying my life, I find myself reaching for the SKX to do it all. I recently took mine to the bahamas and dived with it as well...no issues. I've been wearing it to the gym, doing yard-work...to work and in the shower...you name it, I've been doing it with my SKX009 and it hasn't skipped a beat. Best value out there in my honest opinion on a daily beater with history and a great design to boot.
ssultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 10:54 PM   #41
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

If its good enough for "Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf and Robert Redford its good enough for me. I adore mine.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2016, 06:53 PM   #42
Explorertwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: White 'n Black

Great watch! Great review! Greetings from it's brother
Explorertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2016, 09:33 AM   #43
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Seiko SKX009 - Review of an old buddy!

This is my Seiko SKX 175 after modifications by NorthEast watch works. I love the way it came out.

Rags

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 02:52 PM   #44
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Great read

I’m happy that you are enjoying your watch and that it is keeping good time.

Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote