The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

Seiko 7A28-7020 SPR007 "The James Bond Watch!"

I was going through the James Bond watch list and I saw this gem for the first time! the Seiko 7A28-7020 SPR007.

Where can I find this watch? Do they not make this model type anymore? Did some google and ebay searches and came up empty. I really want to purchase this watch.

Any other models that are easy to purchase that is similar to this model?

sorry... i'm a bit clueless... sigh...
suntaelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 06:22 PM   #2
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Thats a very "clean" looking chrono. Reminds me of a classic heuer chronograph.
Old 21 April 2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
There is a lot of history with this watch. It was the first analog quartz chronograph in history. Up until then any quartz chrono had been digital. The 7a28 appeared on the scene in the early 80's, as Seiko's "best effort" toward the quartz chronograph, meaning that they weren't worried about cost or return on investment. The 15-jewel movement is known as an excellent timekeeper, and can even be regulated. My 24 year old example is extremely accurate.

The 7a28, related 7a38 (day-date), and rarer 7a48 (moon phase) came in a wide variety of styles, from military-looking tool watches to gold plated blingers. Sigourney Weaver wore one in Aliens. It was in production from the early 80's to about 1992, finally supplanted by the cheaper and less interesting 7T32/62/92 movements that are still in use today.

The Royal Air Force selected a similar watch as their standard issue for certain pilots. Their model was black-faced, without the tachymeter dial, open lugs, welded springbars and a NATO strap. They issued it for about ten years, then went with the un-jeweled 7t27.

Don't be thrown off by the fact that it is a Seiko or Quartz. It's the equal of, or better than, of any of today's Swiss Quartz chronograph movements.

Ebay search "7a28" and you will find a few. Prices anywhere from $50 for basket cases to over $1000 for the RAF, which is one of my grails. It's right up there with the H558 Arnie as far as collectibility.

Here is mine and some others:

Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 12:40 AM   #4
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Icon19 re "the" James Bond watch list

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntaelee View Post
I was going through the James Bond watch list and I saw this gem for the first time! the Seiko 7A28-7020 SPR007....

Where can I find this watch? Do they not make this model type anymore? Did some google and ebay searches and came up empty. I really want to purchase this watch.

Any other models that are easy to purchase that is similar to this model?

sorry... i'm a bit clueless... sigh...
Thanks for the acknowledgment: A lot of people claim to have James Bond watch lists, but, of course, there is only one.

As Ed mentioned in his reply, and the background I chose to make this photograph shows, this watch was a big deal well-beyond Bond: It was the world's first quartz chronograph. It also marked an important point in the quartz revolution, in that technology to move hands and consumer preferences had brought watches back full-circle to analog dials.

Variations with further complications can be found around this time as well, but the Bond watch had no date window.

Like so many frustrations in finding Seiko Bond watches, the key challenge is that unique identification is the model number, not the caliber number. Yet it is only the caliber number that is engraved on the caseback; the model number appears nowhere on the watch. Lotsa variation in 7A28 configurations, but only one correct to A View to a Kill.

Now, by way of perspective, I set up several 'bay searches several years ago, and in all that time I can count on two hands the number of times one of them hit on the one you're looking for. The gold-tone version is rather common, and you'll see that a lot. But if you want to find the Bond version, you'll probably end up searching on something that includes seiko, chronograph, and vintage, and without women's models, other metal colors, and digitals.

General watch forum FS sections aren't much help, although every once in a while something will pop up. Rather, look for a dedicated Seiko forum and post an ask there.

Taking a quick glance at The James Bond Watches Price Guide, over the last couple of years, these have sold between a low of $65.00 and a high of $201.11, all in very good shape. I didn't pay anything near the high-end for the very good example from my own collection that's currently on display (for only another week!) at the National Watch & Clock Museum.

Hope this helps.
Old 22 April 2011, 02:02 AM   #5
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

first off, THANK YOU BOTH FOR CHIMING IN!!!! you guys have been a huge help to educate me about this watch. i'm thankful for people like u. i just started collecting watches, but have always been fascinated for years. sold off all my previous collections of other stuffs and acquired 2 watches in the past month. a Baume et Mercier Classima 8591 that i received as a gift from my gf and a 14060m Z serial ND Non-COSC that has been in my target for years. this seiko will now be my "grail" and i will be constantly looking for it... i will take your advices regarding the search and look for it. if you guys come across it, please let me know as well! i just think that seiko is beautiful, plus, who doesn't love bond watches? and a special thanks to you delldeaton for your definitive list!

for others that will be reading this, please chime in on any inputs to getting me closer to this watch! LOL
Old 22 April 2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Thats a very "clean" looking chrono. Reminds me of a classic heuer chronograph.
I love those old Heuers. They're hard to find, but if you can get one they're SOOOO worth it.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Tmaca

HERE's A DEAL: There's a 7A28-7029, seems to be the exact same watch but in a gold color scheme, on eBay with a starting bid of $99, NO bids and only 12h 23m 33s left as of Apr 22, 2011 at 10:49:54 PDT.

If one doesn't have a problem with gold colored watches, this thing is beautiful. I sure wish I had 99 bucks I could spend right now.

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-7A28-7029-QUARTZ-CHRONOGRAPH-GOLD-MENS-WATCH-RUNS-/170628945924?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27ba471804"]
Tmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 04:20 PM   #8
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaca View Post
HERE's A DEAL: There's a 7A28-7029, seems to be the exact same watch but in a gold color scheme, on eBay with a starting bid of $99, NO bids and only 12h 23m 33s left as of Apr 22, 2011 at 10:49:54 PDT.

If one doesn't have a problem with gold colored watches, this thing is beautiful. I sure wish I had 99 bucks I could spend right now.

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKO-7A28-7029-QUARTZ-CHRONOGRAPH-GOLD-MENS-WATCH-RUNS-/170628945924?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27ba471804"]
yeah, i actually saw that and messaged him, but he is out of town or something? some automated message that he's away and can't conduct the transaction right now or something... -..-

i wonder if i can have the gold retouched? anyone know how much that'll cost? or is it just a simple polish job?
Old 23 April 2011, 02:04 AM   #9
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Nearly Bond--?

Quote:
yeah, i actually saw that and messaged him, but he is out of town or something? some automated message that he's away and can't conduct the transaction right now or something... -..-

i wonder if i can have the gold retouched? anyone know how much that'll cost? or is it just a simple polish job?
If you're interested in a Seiko-Bond, then my recommendation would be to wait. As far as cleaning up the finish, this tends to be more effort than it's worth in all-but those rare cases in which your only interest in the watch is to put it in a cabinet for display (and what's the fun in that?).
Old 23 April 2011, 04:23 AM   #10
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delldeaton View Post
If you're interested in a Seiko-Bond, then my recommendation would be to wait. As far as cleaning up the finish, this tends to be more effort than it's worth in all-but those rare cases in which your only interest in the watch is to put it in a cabinet for display (and what's the fun in that?).
most def. i shall look for this and will be my new hunt. haha.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:37 AM   #11
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Seiko 7a28 is probably one of the best quartz chronographs ever produced, it`s fully jeweled (15 jewels, very much for quartz movement) and it is built to last forever.
Like Ed Rooney said before, it`s probably better than most Swiss Made quartz movements of today!
It`s high accuracy is became legendary, and simplicity of it`s design made it all-time classic.
I own this one for three years and each day I appreciate this peace of Japanese watchmaking history more and more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seiko 7a28 Chronograph1.jpg (149.5 KB, 650 views)
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2011, 09:51 AM   #12
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

o wow... that's a beauty... now i like both black and the white face!!! ahhhhh

wanna sell it? haha
Old 23 April 2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the acknowledgment: A lot of people claim to have James Bond watch lists, but, of course, there is only one.

As Ed mentioned in his reply, and the background I chose to make this photograph shows, this watch was a big deal well-beyond Bond: It was the world's first quartz chronograph. It also marked an important point in the quartz revolution, in that technology to move hands and consumer preferences had brought watches back full-circle to analog dials.

Variations with further complications can be found around this time as well, but the Bond watch had no date window.

Like so many frustrations in finding Seiko Bond watches, the key challenge is that unique identification is the model number, not the caliber number. Yet it is only the caliber number that is engraved on the caseback; the model number appears nowhere on the watch. Lotsa variation in 7A28 configurations, but only one correct to A View to a Kill.

Now, by way of perspective, I set up several 'bay searches several years ago, and in all that time I can count on two hands the number of times one of them hit on the one you're looking for. The gold-tone version is rather common, and you'll see that a lot. But if you want to find the Bond version, you'll probably end up searching on something that includes seiko, chronograph, and vintage, and without women's models, other metal colors, and digitals.

General watch forum FS sections aren't much help, although every once in a while something will pop up. Rather, look for a dedicated Seiko forum and post an ask there.

Taking a quick glance at The James Bond Watches Price Guide, over the last couple of years, these have sold between a low of $65.00 and a high of $201.11, all in very good shape. I didn't pay anything near the high-end for the very good example from my own collection that's currently on display (for only another week!) at the National Watch & Clock Museum.

Hope this helps.

Your encyclopedic knowledge of this subject matter never fails to impress me. Keep it up!
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2011, 10:32 AM   #14
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Nah, it`s not for sale, I like it waaaay too much.

That white one on your first picture looks amazing, but if I were you, I would go after 7a48 (one of my must-have`s, picture borrowed from the Web), basically the same watch, but with moon phase complication. And of course, there`s a day-date version, 7a38...

Whether you like more clean looks or little busier, you can`t go wrong with these watches!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7a48.jpg (41.9 KB, 629 views)
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

haha yes! i was looking at those too... i'm starting to like seiko more and more now. esp these vintage ones. i can't buy rolexes every other week, but i sure can buy me some seikos. thanks man! love ur watch. and yes, my grail for now will be that white dial 7a28... if u guys ever see one for sale, please let me know! =)
Old 24 April 2011, 02:13 AM   #16
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

There are some nice Paul Newman style 7a28's on the bay today. These are my favorites.
Old 24 April 2011, 04:33 AM   #17
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

are you talking about the 7A28 703A? the one with blue and red bezel?

also, are these 18mm for the band? i ordered some 20mm nato straps for my sub, and wondering if i can interchange with them as well... i'm thinkin it's 18... the 20 might be squeezing it...
Old 24 April 2011, 08:51 AM   #18
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Icon1 "To the moon, Alice" ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
There are some nice Paul Newman style 7a28's on the bay today. These are my favorites.
Which reminds me, as an aside--

In a surprising number of instances, I've seen the word "Speedmaster" associated with these listings. (I'm not arguing it's technical correctness; only that it may be a means of locating options not otherwise to be found.)

Old 24 April 2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In a surprising number of instances, I've seen the word "Speedmaster" associated with these listings. (I'm not arguing it's technical correctness; only that it may be a means of locating options not otherwise to be found.)

Well, calling them a Paul Newman style is a stretch, but it get the idea across.

Speedmaster on the other hand is correct for some of these watches. They actually did use the Speedmaster name on many Seiko chronographs, including some 7a28 variants.
Old 24 April 2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:

I was just going to comment just how similar this watch is to the Speedmaster.
Rolex GMT Master IIc, Explorer II
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2011, 11:36 AM   #21
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Available for the next 3 hours ...

If anyone here is interested, I happened across this Seiko 7A28 on the 'Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seiko-Chronograp...#ht_500wt_1038

Only apparent difference between this and the James Bond watch featured in A View to a Kill is its bracelet (as you can see when comparing it to the photo of my watch, which leads this thread).

Good luck!
Old 31 May 2011, 03:55 AM   #22
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukotab View Post
Nah, it`s not for sale, I like it waaaay too much.

That white one on your first picture looks amazing, but if I were you, I would go after 7a48 (one of my must-have`s, picture borrowed from the Web), basically the same watch, but with moon phase complication. And of course, there`s a day-date version, 7a38...

Whether you like more clean looks or little busier, you can`t go wrong with these watches!
I have this 7A48. It was given to me by my father-in-law. A nice watch among my collection.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2011, 06:51 AM   #23
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If anyone here is interested, I happened across this Seiko 7A28 on the 'Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seiko-Chronograp...#ht_500wt_1038

Only apparent difference between this and the James Bond watch featured in A View to a Kill is its bracelet (as you can see when comparing it to the photo of my watch, which leads this thread).

Good luck!
i guess i'm a noob to ebay. i was actually bidding on this watch, and at the last second, it jumped up to that closing price and i was s.o.l. sigh... but, i'm reviving this thread again since i'll finally be purchasing the watch!!! not in the greatest condition, but with polishing and servicing, hopefully it'll be all good. just paid for it via paypal. man... it's been a long time coming... i tracked this watch all over the world. sigh... but it was all worth it. i will post pics as soon as i receive it. would look lovely on a nato too!
Old 10 June 2011, 06:53 AM   #24
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

also, does anyone know if the chrono can be fixed for the 7a28? the guy i'm buying from said the chrono is dead for this watch, but it still keeps good time.

do i need to buy a new movement? or can a watchmaker fix this problem?

anyone know where i can buy a new crystal too?
Old 10 June 2011, 07:26 AM   #25
Stengah
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Cool thread. Not sure if that's a fixable problem, you'll probably have to take it in to find out. I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to fix it, but then again I know nothing about chronographs. I imagine finding a crystal that fits could be tough to find.
Stengah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 08:36 AM   #26
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

it's finally here!!!

after months of tracking this watch down, i finally received it in the mail today. all the way from sweden. tracked down many owners from various forums, and it's finally mine!

it was a fun chase, trying to acquire this watch, and it was all worth it. it's in great shape. cleaned the original bracelet as well, but looks great on a nato. decided not to polish it or anything. just keep the watch with the patina that it acquired throughout the years. unfortunately, the chrono can't be fixed, but i don't mind it. maybe i'll look for a working movement in the future. just want to enjoy this for now and give it some wrist time.
Old 19 June 2011, 09:10 AM   #27
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Nice watch,

A view to a kill was on today in the UK, and was wondering what watch he had on.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 11:17 AM   #28
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

after months of tracking this watch down, i finally received it in the mail today. all the way from sweden. tracked down many owners from various forums, and it's finally mine!

it was a fun chase, trying to acquire this watch, and it was all worth it. it's in great shape. cleaned the original bracelet as well, but looks great on a nato. decided not to polish it or anything. just keep the watch with the patina that it acquired throughout the years. unfortunately, the chrono can't be fixed, but i don't mind it. maybe i'll look for a working movement in the future. just want to enjoy this for now and give it some wrist time.

can't decide between which nato looks better. lol
Old 19 June 2011, 09:22 PM   #29
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Congratulations!

Quote:
... after months of tracking this watch down, i finally received it in the mail today. all the way from sweden. tracked down many owners from various forums, and it's finally mine!

it was a fun chase, trying to acquire this watch, and it was all worth it. it's in great shape.... unfortunately, the chrono can't be fixed, but i don't mind it. maybe i'll look for a working movement in the future. just want to enjoy this for now and give it some wrist time.
Looks great.

Something you might want to consider is the gold version of this watch. Virtually identical, except for the case, bracelet. That's the way it was most heavily promoted at time of release (see magazine print advertisement on which my watch is set in photo that starts this thread, for example). More commonly available: As a matter of fact, hardly a week goes by that I don't see one offered for sale; reasonably priced, too.

Subject to agreement from your repair shop, this could be a parts source, cannibalized to bring move your watch toward more healthy functioning.

Old 20 June 2011, 06:19 AM   #30
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

thanks for chiming in delldeaton. yes, i do see those on ebay all the time. i was actually thinking of that as well. just was hesitant to make this watch a frankenwatch. now that i have this in my possession, i'll take it a bit slowly to make it back to original shape. would be nice to find the same movement with a clean crystal. that would kill 2 birds. then i can go ahead and have the watch and bracelet polished, then replace the movement. maybe even the hands!