The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2013, 04:23 AM   #1
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Lusting after Marine Master 300 (SBDX001)

Been thinking about picking up this great watch again...

Selling it was by FAR one of the biggest mistakes I've made. Now that Japan weakened the Yen it's hard not to bite. At the time I owned a 14060M (which I sold for a 216570) and should have done a side by side review as they were virtually equals imho. What one lacked the other compensated...

Back when I owned it rumors ran rampant about cross-threading the delicate crown and there wasn't anybody in the USA to perform a basic service -- it had to go back to Japan. I must admit that the crown left much to be desired and is the only downside of this watch (even the Sumo crown is better), but at the time people panicked about the one piece mono case having to be replaced at a premium.

But out of all the owners of the watch it was hard to dig-up an actual instance of this happening which is a good sign of its design. Back when I remember one case of this happening to an old model MM300 but as it turned out Seiko Japan had a special welding tool that allowed them to replace the crown stem without having to ditch the case. But the actual information behind this happening was never confirmed, at least not by myself through more digging... A slight inconvenience should this ever happen but sending a watch back for service at the mother ship is common practice with a lot of brands these days.

Now there's a few competent makers that can actually service the venerable 8L35 in the States albeit they lack the technology to perform a stem replacement. Not to mention these makers can replace the mineral crystal to sapphire should one desire, although I never found the mineral crystal to be a problem. On the contrary, it's quite functional for a true divers watch and I remember the crystal being beefy and impervious to anything daily wear could throw its way.

Has anyone read any MM300 horror stories lately? Been awhile since I've done some digging on this model...

Here's a shot of the one that got away...

sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Rodentman
Banned

It is good to hear that the watch went from vulnerable to venerable.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
It is good to hear that the watch went from vulnerable to venerable.
Strictly speaking regarding movement quality and accuracy I could see no difference between the 8L35 and the 3135. The 8L35 even appears to be better decorated despite resting inside that mono-case.

As for the vulnerability of the watch, the crown and stem are are out of place on the MM300 and there's no refuting that, but I was wondering if it's become problematic for its owners as of late?

If Seiko re-designed the crown and stem the watch would become even more of a cult classic and bargain than it already is imho.
Old 15 May 2013, 06:32 AM   #4
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Agree, I have always wanted one, remember when they were about 1400? The only things that caused me not to get one were the crown issue, stateside support with some owners stating wildly different accuracy due to the unregulated movt. Seems everything has been corrected though the price is more dear.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 07:07 AM   #5
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Seems everything has been corrected though the price is more dear.
As I recall it was an over-oiling issue. Not sure if it's been corrected by Seiko or not but it's easily fixable... Even Rolex has been known to over lubricate (3186). I got very lucky with the accuracy of mine when I owned it.
Old 15 May 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
petenyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
great watch
petenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Americandave
"TRF" Member

I too am lusting after the Marine Master 300 - the whole package makes for one great travel, dive, and all around casual watch. I will probably even wear it with a suit, IF, and this is a big if, I can possibly find one in stock!

Every single seller I've contacted has no stock.

Do they sell these things anywhere other than Japan?
Americandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americandave View Post
I too am lusting after the Marine Master 300 - the whole package makes for one great travel, dive, and all around casual watch. I will probably even wear it with a suit, IF, and this is a big if, I can possibly find one in stock!

Every single seller I've contacted has no stock.

Do they sell these things anywhere other than Japan?
There have been two for sale on the forums in the last month. George Ab was selling one on this very board.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 01:51 AM   #9
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

They will hold them for you once they're back in stock. I am very tempted to have them hold one for me.

As for the issues I was concerned about, turns out seiko can and has replaced the stem without reissuing a new case and serial and that the stem length was increased years ago. Cost was about $500 in 2010 for the stem/crown replacement and full service. Service alone cost about half that amount.

As with any watch slow is smooth and smooth is fast in screwing in the crown. Those that have owned this watch for several years and have taken their time with the crown report no problems whatsoever.
Old 18 May 2013, 02:05 AM   #10
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
There have been two for sale on the forums in the last month. George Ab was selling one on this very board.
The used prices for this watch have always been a little too high over the years IMHO but the ones for sale lately have been anywhere from 105-120% of the price some ADs in Japan are selling them at now.
Old 18 May 2013, 03:17 AM   #11
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
The used prices for this watch have always been a little too high over the years IMHO but the ones for sale lately have been anywhere from 105-120% of the price some ADs in Japan are selling them at now.
That's incredible. Last time I looked I thought they were going for around $2200+ in Japan. I recall a really clean one on the forums for around $1900. Are they really that affordable in Japan now?
Old 18 May 2013, 04:36 AM   #12
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Yep. I think the most I've ever seen them was at just under $2400.

Higuchi just quoted me $1850 today for a fresh-from-factory MM300 when they're expected to arrive in June/July. Who said Seikos don't hold their resale value?
Old 18 May 2013, 05:44 AM   #13
tinger
"TRF" Member

Alot has to do with the weakest in the Yen.
Early Nov last yr.. the yen was about 80 to 1 $
today.. its over 103 to 1$
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 06:56 AM   #14
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Yep. I think the most I've ever seen them was at just under $2400.

Higuchi just quoted me $1850 today for a fresh-from-factory MM300 when they're expected to arrive in June/July. Who said Seikos don't hold their resale value?
That is a tremendous value. If they weren't so big, I'd order one right now.
Old 5 June 2013, 04:18 AM   #15
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

INCOMING! (again)
Old 5 June 2013, 05:21 AM   #16
JP Chestnut
Banned

Congratulations!
Old 5 June 2013, 05:30 AM   #17
longreach380
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega,PAM,MM300
I've been looking at that one and the SBDB001 and find them hard to split choice wise. Well done on purchasing, it's a beautiful timepiece.
longreach380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Why not the SBDB001 out of interest?

Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 12:02 PM   #19
aboen
"TRF" Member

I will own one someday. Love it. Congrats!
aboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 01:59 PM   #20
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

I can't speak for longreach but for me the MM600 lacks a level of refinement the MM300 possesses... Not to mentions it's massive! Maybe it just doesn't seem as polished because of the titanium, and for instance the hands aren't precisely beveled to let the light dance, I dunno...

I think it's a great watch and the added gmt is a bonus not always seen in a diver, but if I'm going to give SD a chance it had better be with the sbga011 snowflake. Those that own both seem to praise the MM600 so I'd need to see it in the flesh to make a real assesment.
Old 6 June 2013, 07:43 AM   #21
longreach380
"TRF" Member

^ I like the fact that is has a springdrive and GMT. I have a small wrist but I've always enjoyed a sturdy, chunky watch..and the 600mm is certainly that.
Old 6 June 2013, 09:39 AM   #22
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Without question... It's also lighter than the mm300
Old 9 June 2013, 05:00 PM   #23
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

I must say this watch is a love hate relationship for me... I used to own one and always wanted it back and am very glad I did buy it again. BUT it's not a watch for everyone despite the fact I feel it compares to some of the best in almost twice its price range.

If you're new to watches and feel you're destined to purchase more than a few watches with the need to flip for something greater then this watch isn't for you. It's not perfect but man is it close!… You'll dwell on one (or more) of the insignificant quirks of the watch, and despite its very minor shortcomings, may overlook that they're characteristic of some of the best Seiko divers throughout the years (Seiko 6159-700X). You'll likely flip it for something greater and realize the hard way that you should have saved your money for the Grand Seiko (or whatever else) instead of taking a hit on selling. But sooner or later the MM300 will find it's way into your collection again.

However, if you're satisfied with your collection currently and want something fun, perhaps a casual beater, a watch with that DSSD charm (only 10grams less and a sixth of the cost), or simply feel gratification having something in the mail, then this is your watch! Buy two -- it's that nice.

Here's a quick shot. Been two days thus far and it's at +.5 seconds a day.

Video....

Lume Video... best lume on any watch I've ever owned or witnessed first hand
Old 29 June 2013, 03:08 AM   #24
vanquish129

After having tried my friend's MM300 i was able to convince myself that I have to get one. Its now in our local Customs and I expect to have on my wrist before the next week ends!

Sent via iPhone
vanquish129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2013, 05:45 AM   #25
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
love the mm300!
MaxCargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 10:07 AM   #26
vanquish129

Finally! MM300 landed on my wrist!

Sent via iPhone
vanquish129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 03:47 PM   #27
longreach380
"TRF" Member

^ sexual! well done...can you take a photo in the dark so I can see the lume?
Old 5 July 2013, 05:24 PM   #28
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

I bought one in my trip to Japan. This watch suffered with me the earthquake in Tokyo

I sold it... why? I didn't like the crown and I was a little bit scared about the replacement of the crown. Send it back to Japan, and more...

I had many watches in the past years, Rolex, Panerai, JLC, Blancpain, Omega, Tag, .... but I should say that the only one I miss, is the Seiko MarineMaster.

I would like to buy it again, but still scared about that crown issue.

Regards
ROLEXELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 05:07 AM   #29
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXELOR View Post
I bought one in my trip to Japan. This watch suffered with me the earthquake in Tokyo

I sold it... why? I didn't like the crown and I was a little bit scared about the replacement of the crown. Send it back to Japan, and more...

I had many watches in the past years, Rolex, Panerai, JLC, Blancpain, Omega, Tag, .... but I should say that the only one I miss, is the Seiko MarineMaster.

I would like to buy it again, but still scared about that crown issue.

Regards
I remember there being a lot of talk about the crown issue on these watches in the past. I haven't really heard anything lately. I suspect the problem was blown up on the forums.
Old 6 July 2013, 07:04 PM   #30
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I remember there being a lot of talk about the crown issue on these watches in the past. I haven't really heard anything lately. I suspect the problem was blown up on the forums.
Maybe yes. But when I had the watch, I was trying to change the hour and after to put again the crown in... was hard, believe me.
ROLEXELOR is offline   Reply With Quote