The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 5 March 2015, 02:47 AM   #1
SearChart
TechXpert

Icon17 Seiko Diver's - Review

Hello TRF,

In this thread I would like to share my opinion on the Seiko SKX007 and SKX013, two of my favourite watches. I will add pictures below.

Technical specs:

Size: 42mm (SKX007), 38mm (SKX013).
Case: 316L stainless steel, brushed lugs, polished side and back with Seiko scuba logo on the caseback, water resistant to 200m (660ft).
Bezel: Unidirectional with black insert (non ceramic), 120 clicks.
Crystal: Seiko Hardlex.
Movement: In house automatic 7S26 movement, non hacking with day and date feature (easy to use quickset date), 40 Hrs power reserve, 21.600 bph.
Strap/Bracelet: It can be bought on a jubilee style bracelet or a black rubber strap, it can of course also be worn on a NATO or leather strap, lug width is 22mm (SKX007), 20mm (SKX013).
Price: €180 - €350 depending on whether you buy it on a strap or bracelet and also where you buy it, Both watches have approximately the same price.

I first got the Seiko SKX007 for my birthday nearly two years ago, at 42mm it is a pretty large watch and because I have a 6.5'' wrist I was a bit worried that it might not fit perfectly, the watch however fits like a glove due to it's short lugs.

Wearing the watch on a NATO strap (which I like most) is very comfortable and is in my opinion also the best looking option, it does sit high on the wrist when worn on a NATO and this can be annoying when wearing a formal shirt as it does not slip under the cuff.

My watch was fairly accurate (approximately 10 seconds fast a day) when I got it and it has kept it's accuracy over time.
Setting the time and date is quick and easy, the one thing I miss is a manual winding feature, having to swing the watch before setting the time is not as 'nice' as winding it but this could just be me.

I wear the watch while doing all kinds of activities (running, swimming, etc) and it endured a fair share of banging and scratching but this did not have any noticable effects on movement accuracy, it has a few dings and scratches but that's it.

The hardlex crystal can scratch but it is not easy to do so, I have two scratches on my crystal but they're only visible in certain lighting while using a loupe.

All in all I think it is an excellent watch for the money, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.

On to the SKX013... I got this as a christmas present to myself a few months ago, just because I wanted another beater watch.

The Seiko SKX013 is quite a bit smaller at 38mm and this is something I really like, it just fits my wrist even better.
The watch is in my opinion way better balanced than the SKX007, it has longer 'pointier' lugs which are very elegant and the case is a bit less 'rounded'.

The dial is also very legible, the markers are a bit closer to each other than on the SKX007, this is also a design feature that I really like, less empty space but not too cluttered.

The watch has the same movement as the SKX007 and it is just as accurate, screwing the crown works a bit smoother on my SKX013, I don't know whether this is because of design or just the case on my watches.

As for ruggedness I think the SKX013 will be just as tough as my other Seiko diver, it is after all the same watch but only smaller.

Again, a great watch for the money and perhaps the better choice for people with a small wrist size like me.

This review would be worthless if it didn't have any pictures so here they are

My only close up picture with them together, with a 38mm Hamilton Khaki Field next to it.

Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoyed this thread and feel free to comment
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2015, 03:01 AM   #2
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
nice review ,,, fantastic bang for buck.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Great review, Bas! And as Tom says, an excellent value for the investment.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 03:25 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
nice review ,,, fantastic bang for buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Great review, Bas! And as Tom says, an excellent value for the investment.
dP
Thanks
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 03:56 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Well done Bas. Thanks for sharing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
review , seiko , skx007 , skx013