The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 September 2016, 04:07 AM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Does anyone have an Omas 360??

I've found a new large size model for a pretty fair deal. It's not a steal but it is under market value. I've been eyeing these for a while but I can't decide if I like the design or not. This one is black and gold and I would like to add a black and gold Omas to my collection but I was hoping for a Paragon or new Milord. Any opinions on the pen?
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Great pen...but hard to clean out when storing or changing inks
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 12:30 AM   #3
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21670
I had a 360 Vintage, with the smoke body and ruthenium trim. The Vintage is very smooth writing, and large pen. The darkened ruthenium nib and clip, adds an unusual, and beautiful "stealth" appearance. The Vintage limited edition series, which was issued in blue transparent, (the impossible to find grail color), red which is easy to buy, and smoke, issued with ruthenium or gold trim now becomes difficult to buy.
Mine needed to be exchanged by Omas. The piston end did not fit properly ........ simply misaligned.
I had heard Omas was suffering with quality control issues, before they went under, and my own experience, confirms this.
Once the exchange was made, all was Ok.
I got my 360 Vintage on a terrific deal from Eddie the boss of Airline International in El Paso,TX.

The modern, sloped cap top design of the regular 360 never appealed to me. But I am sure it is a fine pen.
Rafael
Rafael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael M View Post
I had a 360 Vintage, with the smoke body and ruthenium trim. The Vintage is very smooth writing, and large pen. The darkened ruthenium nib and clip, adds an unusual, and beautiful "stealth" appearance. The Vintage limited edition series, which was issued in blue transparent, (the impossible to find grail color), red which is easy to buy, and smoke, issued with ruthenium or gold trim now becomes difficult to buy.
Mine needed to be exchanged by Omas. The piston end did not fit properly ........ simply misaligned.
I had heard Omas was suffering with quality control issues, before they went under, and my own experience, confirms this.
Once the exchange was made, all was Ok.
I got my 360 Vintage on a terrific deal from Eddie the boss of Airline International in El Paso,TX.

The modern, sloped cap top design of the regular 360 never appealed to me. But I am sure it is a fine pen.
Rafael

I agree completely with you on the issues Omas had toward the end of production. I had to work on a few of the later pens. They really liked to align the nibs to the right of the feed for some reason. Also of my 5 modern Omas pens, only one was ink tested at the factory. Now that pen was amazing right out of the box, but none of the others had been factory tested. These pens are fantastic now but I did have to align nibs and had 2 were the piston filler assembly came out on the first fill.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 3 October 2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

I wish I knew how to work on Omas!
Your experience with Omas is greater than mine, and the quality control problems you came up against ...... great that you could remedy them.
All the more reason to buy after trying .... like at a pen show. LA has a great one.

It's a shame about Omas. Quality control problems are mismanagement.
I have a feeling someone will resurrect Omas.
Let's hope!
Old 6 October 2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

After all discounts it looks like I can pick this pen up new for $430 usd shipped. Does this seem like a fair price? It's the oversize vintage style piston filler and not the newer sloped cap converter model.
Old 7 October 2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

The Omas 360 Vintage, is a limited edition, numbered demonstrator transparent series.
Is that what you are being offered ?
If it is not a transparent barrel Omas, and it is not numbered as part of a limited edition ....it is not a 360 Vintage.
It may be an Omas 360 model

The good price ..... before Omas's decline ..... for a 360 Vintage ... new was $475-525. New. The going price was $575-600, New.
Anything goes now, though
Old 7 October 2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Omas 360 Vintage, is a limited edition, numbered demonstrator transparent series.
Is that what you are being offered ?
If it is not a transparent barrel Omas, and it is not numbered as part of a limited edition ....it is not a 360 Vintage.
It may be an Omas 360 model

The good price ..... before Omas's decline ..... for a 360 Vintage ... new was $475-525. New. The going price was $575-600, New.
Anything goes now, though

Hmmm I think I might have the wrong description here. I'm not especially familiar with the 360 models. It's a new piston filler in solid black and gold trim. It's not the converter version. I've attached a pic similar to the one for sale. It has the new style nib and not the vintage engravings. Looks like my new style paragon nib.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (24.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 8 October 2016, 12:28 AM   #9
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

That is not the 360 Vintage. By Omas naming a model the "Vintage LE", the door was opened to confusion.

There is a "360 Vintage LE", and then there is the "360"(which you show here),..... which can accurately be described as "vintage" ....... but it is not the "Vintage LE"
Good luck ..
rafael
Old 8 October 2016, 04:08 AM   #10
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is not the 360 Vintage. By Omas naming a model the "Vintage LE", the door was opened to confusion.

There is a "360 Vintage LE", and then there is the "360"(which you show here),..... which can accurately be described as "vintage" ....... but it is not the "Vintage LE"
Good luck ..
rafael
It's never been more true I guess, "So many Omas pens, so little time!"
Old 10 October 2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I'm a weak, weak man I looked away for a second this weekend and the Omas vision you had mentioned sold immediately. I got an email from the vendor with the black and gold 360 with an additional 3% off. I mulled it over today. My final mistake was having a few glasses of nice scotch this evening. I just pulled the trigger. I can't imagine I could sell at a loss in a year or so but damn, I'm a sucker for Omas. I'm guessing there's not much risk here. Also don't watch any SBREbrown videos on YouTube if you're on the fence about a pen. YOU WILL buy that pen!! That guy has cost me an undisclosed amount of $$ on pens I was hesitant about. Now keep in mind they've all been great pens but damn. Bad influence. Is it irrational of me to be worrying about what I will need to fix on this new pen once I receive it? I'm having visions of pulling the piston and sweating it to get only 3 facets aligned instead of 12!!
Old 15 October 2016, 01:24 AM   #12
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I'm a weak, weak man I looked away for a second this weekend and the Omas vision you had mentioned sold immediately. I got an email from the vendor with the black and gold 360 with an additional 3% off. I mulled it over today. My final mistake was having a few glasses of nice scotch this evening. I just pulled the trigger. I can't imagine I could sell at a loss in a year or so but damn, I'm a sucker for Omas. I'm guessing there's not much risk here. Also don't watch any SBREbrown videos on YouTube if you're on the fence about a pen. YOU WILL buy that pen!! That guy has cost me an undisclosed amount of $$ on pens I was hesitant about. Now keep in mind they've all been great pens but damn. Bad influence. Is it irrational of me to be worrying about what I will need to fix on this new pen once I receive it? I'm having visions of pulling the piston and sweating it to get only 3 facets aligned instead of 12!!
I am a little confused;
I pointed you to an Omas Vintage 360, a super rare, and in the impossible to find, blue color.
Is that the pen you mention was sold right away?
Not surprised. I was amazed to see that one popped up. And most of all from a respected seller.
Anyway,
I should visit this site more often
Rafael
Old 15 October 2016, 02:01 AM   #13
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am a little confused;
I pointed you to an Omas Vintage 360, a super rare, and in the impossible to find, blue color.
Is that the pen you mention was sold right away?
Not surprised. I was amazed to see that one popped up. And most of all from a respected seller.
Anyway,
I should visit this site more often
Rafael
Yep that's the pen. The vintage 360 was gone very quickly. The 360 magnum I received looks to be an older model with the two tone nib. It also feels completely different than any of my other Omas nibs of the newer style. This 360 nib is like glass. Very very smooth. The seller also shipped it in a new paragon box with a bottle of green omas ink. I was under the impression that the 360 shipped without ink and I'm fairly certain the box is too new.
Old 15 October 2016, 07:55 AM   #14
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Ok, then.
The seller, is a good one, so keep her in mind for the future. She is based in Omas "mission control", area.
good luck
rafael

ps.
the 360 Vintage shipped with a bottle of Omas black ink