The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 3 October 2016, 02:18 AM   #1
bmpregler
Banned

Watch: Sub Date/Tudor Chr
What pen is right for me?

Never had a nice pen. Tried a couple of MBs today in ORD. I found I like rollerball, that has a cap that can be screwed onto the back. I know this is a very rookie question, but what would be a nice starter pen in this configuration. It, like all of my things will be used on a daily basis. I listed what I thought I liked in a pen, if you have differing opinions on a nice starter pen, please share.

Thanks

Brandon
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Terpmedic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The rollerball goes through ink like crazy. Either step up to the FP go with the BP classique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Terpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I agree. A roller ball will go through refills very quickly.

I would suggest that you either wait until you are comfortable with fountain pens or pull the trigger now and purchase a nice inexpensive FP like a Lamy Safari.

Roller ball pens will not hold their value and will be a disappointment in my experience.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
A roller ball is limited to what it can write on. I use an MB Classic BP at work and an FP at home for fun!
Old 4 October 2016, 08:54 AM   #5
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I am a lefty, so I am limited to BP. The other's will smudge. So far, I really like my BP. I suggest you go try the different widths. I use the fine, and it is much better than the medium (IMHO)
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:53 AM   #6
bmpregler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I agree. A roller ball will go through refills very quickly.

I would suggest that you either wait until you are comfortable with fountain pens or pull the trigger now and purchase a nice inexpensive FP like a Lamy Safari.

Roller ball pens will not hold their value and will be a disappointment in my experience.
Thanks Richard. I found the Lamy Safaris on Amazon and for that price I'm going to try a fountain pen. Any accessories I should be buying at the same time, extra ink?

Thanks
Again

BP
Old 5 October 2016, 03:04 AM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpregler View Post
Thanks Richard. I found the Lamy Safaris on Amazon and for that price I'm going to try a fountain pen. Any accessories I should be buying at the same time, extra ink?

Thanks
Again

BP
The Lamy Safari is one of the best writing fountain pens I own. Regardless of make, model, or price.

I would just pick up some more ink cartridges in your favorite colors and not get into bottles of ink at this time. The cartridges are cheaper and easier to leave behind if you purchase some that you are not happy with. With bottled ink you have a lot of $$$ invested so it is easy to feel discouraged if you don't like it, but have 9/10ths of a bottle on the shelf.

Also, MAKE SURE you try a Lamy Safari nib in a 1.1 italic. You can swap out the nibs (google it or on You Tube) for abut 10 dollars. The 1.1 italic nib will likely create an excitement where a plain medium or fine will not.

Please keep us updated. My compliments!!!
Old 5 October 2016, 08:39 AM   #8
bmpregler
Banned

Ordered a blue safari and some ink today. Can't wait to start writing.
Old 5 October 2016, 05:37 PM   #9
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Congrats! You'll love the pen and Richard it right. You'll need an italic/stub nib as well. It adds a huge amount of awesome to the whole experience for no money or time at all. I would also suggest picking up a starwalker MB ballpoint. These are really nice pens and, while I don't use mine much since fountain pens, it's a great pen to have. You can pick them up for a very reasonable price these days.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 09:43 AM   #10
bmpregler
Banned

Recieved the pen. Thanks Richard for the recommendation. I've been using it all day. Now I need to get used to writing in cursive again.
Old 7 November 2016, 10:20 AM   #11
Juantxo
Banned

Let me see if I can be of help. Anyone with a rib-eye whatever in his avatar rocks the world.

Ok. Ballpoints generally suck although sometimes you get lucky with a Montblanc or a Cross refill. Montblanc Broad would be the only ballpoint pen I'd use.

Rollerballs. Mostly all of them are fine, but in my experience the very best is the cheap and common Pilot G-2, 0.7mm Second best would be the Parker gel refill which is used by many manufacturers including Pelikan. Cross also makes a very cool and smooth writing rollerball. Retro has a nice rollerball refill but it vanishes very quickly. Best ever rollerball in red is the Parker gel. Cartier and Caran also carry the great Parker refill. My favorite rollerball pen is a Pelikan 600 with a Parker gel refill.

Felt tips are my daughter's favorites but I find them soft and delicate.

Then comes the king of the mountain: the fountain pen. Oh, so many good pens in this category. Except that I have a personal bias: cartridge fountain pens are somewhat lacking. Just my pet peeve, although I have an old Dupont that I love to death. The Dupont is all green lacquer and the stiff Medium nib is remarkably smooth. However, to cut through the chase, I must say that the only pens I really care about are Pelikans. From the 101 to the 400 Souverain and above, they are all the best pens I've ever owned. There many nibs where to chose from and they function flawlessly.

For all of the above, and to cut it short, even though I have a bunch of pens, the only ones I collect are the Pelikan. I find Montblanc way overpriced and not half as as good a performer, or as well built, as the Pelikans.

Too long, sorry.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 10:24 AM   #12
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
I don't want to overwhelm you, but in terms of ink, stick to Waterman, Pilot Iroshizuku, Pelikan Edelstein, or Parker (if blue). For red ink, Shaeffer Skrip. Diamine is pretty good ink too. Avoid Noodler's and Private Reserve.
Old 7 November 2016, 01:16 PM   #13
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Recieved the pen. Thanks Richard for the recommendation. I've been using it all day. Now I need to get used to writing in cursive again.
Old 7 November 2016, 01:29 PM   #14
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Congrats on a great pen. I love my Safari. I am kind of the outlier on the rollerball. I like to change colors a lot and don't mind the rollerball at all.

I have my Safari, one MB fountain pen and 4 MB rollerballs (a JFK, and 3 Legrand). I keep 3 different colors in the Legrands and it makes it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 01:03 AM   #15
davecheng
"TRF" Member

Much love for the Safari. :) I've converted several friends to FP users over the last 20 years with the Safari+Waterman Blue combo.
davecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 02:41 AM   #16
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Another suggestion....

Spring $10.00 and pick up a 1.1 italic nib! For that $10.00 you will discover why so many of us love fountain pens. I will completely change your writing.
Old 20 November 2016, 06:44 AM   #17
Juantxo
Banned

First Lamy Safari set I got was back in 1984. I thought they were the coolest. Now I keep a translucent Safari roller-ball.