The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 September 2020, 04:19 AM   #1
supertouch22
"TRF" Member

Crown & Caliber

Hi everyone,

First time posting - please excuse any faux pas :)

Wondering if anyone has tried to sell a watch to Crown and Caliber? I had sent them a ton of photos of the watch, was really transparent about condition etc, and they gave me a price.

I agreed, and FedEx’ed the watch was to them. After a few days, they wrote back and said that they can’t sell the watch with the strap, and need to buy an OEM strap, and knocked the price down by $350.

This seemed 100% bogus to me - as the condition of the strap is quite good, and they had the photos.

I had the choice of them sending the watch back, or giving me the lower price, and I chose them sending me the watch back.

Wondering if this is a common experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supertouch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:23 AM   #2
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

My experience trading with internet watch selling platforms are the same. Got dinged from Exquisitetimepieces for the same strap nonsense as you. And like you the strap was used but in very good condition. I think these companies will press (us) until it hurts. But you can’t make maximum profits...when you want to make maximum profits...being overly fair.
I took the hit and it’s history now and not bothersome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:50 AM   #3
hanklin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I have bought a number of time pieces from Crown & Caliber, because their prices are good and I like their return policy, and no sales tax. However, you get what you pay for. I have noticed a number of slightly sketchy things:

1) This isn't sketchy, but just annoying. They overpaid me for one of my watches (I was selling), and then 4 months later asked for the money back. Sloppy, and weird. They were completely unapologetic and did not admit they made a mistake. (The delta was like $300).

2) They shipped out an Omega Constellation Globemaster "with papers." The warranty card, however, had cheap, extra bold printing on it (not slightly indented as if it were embossed or burned into the card), which did not match the printing on any other cards from that or other Omegas I own. Futhermore, the printing was starting to flake off such that the entire serial was not legible, as well as some of the model number. I alerted them to this and returned the watch. It is still for sale "with papers." I'm positive this was cooked up on the grey market, so many Omegas out there without papers. You know the drill.

3) Almost all of the papers I have seen come from Asia, FYI. Not that this is inherently bad, but just an alert. Japan and China, mostly. It makes it difficult to confirm the provenance of the watch.

4) The most annoying thing of all: the last watch I bought, which will probably remain the last from Crown and Caliber, because I'm sick of all the ambiguity, clearly has some sort of aftermarket crystal on it. It's a 2018 OP39, and there is no laser etching in the glass. I spoke with the AD about it, the watch is legit, serial numbers check out, but there is absolutely no way C&C can certify this watch is 100% authentic as they claim without that crystal. Even the Rolex AD or independent service tech where I go cannot say for certain if this is a vintage Rolex crystal (w/o etched logo). After I pressed them on the matter they "generously" offered to take the watch back as a return with their customary $500 restocking fee. Even though this watch (white dial) is now trading for 20% what I paid them for it. Oh, also the watch came with incorrect datejust manuals from 2016. When I noticed this they credited me $150—but still, so sloppy. The slipcase clearly matches pre 2017 models too, indicating that at some point this box/manual situation was cobbled together. Either they hardly pay attention when they intake a time piece, or they rely on the buyer not paying attention when they sell it.

5) To be fair, I have made some other purchases where everything was totally clean and perfect, hang tags, stickered boxes with numbers all matching, etc. I just can't count on this. Too much of a hassle, now that they have lost my trust.

For what it's worth. I'm not really surprised, after all.
hanklin is offline   Reply With Quote