The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 January 2021, 05:33 AM   #1
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Day in the life of a watch dealer.

This might be a worthwhile series to those who are interested in how grey market watch dealers operate.

It’s pretty well produced. Accurate to what I have seen my self when dealing with greys, especially how they use networking and connections to obtain watches for the absolutely ravenous customer base....especially for Rolex..etc.

Not much straight horological content here..so it won’t be for everyone, but there are other channels for that.

Last edited by sleddog; 12 May 2021 at 11:59 AM..
Old 29 January 2021, 06:19 AM   #2
brannonj1
"TRF" Member

I've been watching this and think it's great. Like you say - very well produced. Almost watches like a documentary you would see on on Netflix or a reality tv show.
Old 29 January 2021, 07:19 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
its a good show. should be a sticky for all valuation threads. hahaha!
Old 29 January 2021, 07:24 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

I thought it was interesting that several times he was either asking or stating to the other person on the end of a call that he would be paying them in X days because he needed the money to fund another purchase ...

Perhaps it’s just smart business (using other people’s money to leverage new purchases) but it comes across a bit strange to me.
Old 29 January 2021, 07:36 AM   #5
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

I thought it was interesting that several times he was either asking or stating to the other person on the end of a call that he would be paying them in X days because he needed the money to fund another purchase ...

Perhaps it’s just smart business (using other people’s money to leverage new purchases) but it comes across a bit strange to me.
The margins are tight especially on popular references. Typical markup is only $1-2k. They don’t have enough liquidity to purchase all the timepieces being offered to them, so have to balance paying off a sold unit or purchasing more stock.

The margins are much slimmer than I would’ve thought.
Old 29 January 2021, 07:42 AM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
The margins are tight especially on popular references. Typical markup is only $1-2k. They don’t have enough liquidity to purchase all the timepieces being offered to them, so have to balance paying off a sold unit or purchasing more stock.

he said in the most recent video that all the ADs in his area hate him, maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 29 January 2021, 07:53 AM   #7
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
he said in the most recent video that all the ADs in his area hate him, maybe that has something to do with it?
Perhaps when he first started out, but going by all his other videos it seems most of the popular references come from flippers. Very few seem to come direct from AD.

In one of his other videos, it showed him negotiating with a flipper who wanted more for his pre-owned Pepsi. He was like I have to have make money off this and can’t any further ($17k~).

I know some ADs work directly with gray dealers, but seeing his videos I believe the folks who flip make up a good majority of what people complain is wrong with the market lol.
Old 29 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Interesting. I wonder what kind of net income he aims to make at the end of the year on 35 million in sales...

Regardless, it just seems in poor form to tell a customer you can’t pay them for a few more days because you need the money for something else
Old 29 January 2021, 08:02 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Perhaps when he first started out, but going by all his other videos it seems most of the popular references come from flippers. Very few seem to come direct from AD.

In one of his other videos, it showed him negotiating with a flipper who wanted more for his pre-owned Pepsi. He was like I have to have make money off this and can’t any further ($17k~).

I know some ADs work directly with gray dealers, but seeing his videos I believe the folks who flip make up a good majority of what people complain is wrong with the market lol.
yeah that's what i meant. it looks like a lot of his inventory comes from flippers
Old 29 January 2021, 08:05 AM   #10
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder what kind of net income he aims to make at the end of the year on 35 million in sales...

Regardless, it just seems in poor form to tell a customer you can’t pay them for a few more days because you need the money for something else

Umm yes it does

That's what a credit line is for right?
Old 29 January 2021, 08:11 AM   #11
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Hes a cool guy I know him personally and he is a member here
Old 29 January 2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i watch them but just a little too long. he should cut them down to no more than 20 minutes. youtube viewership would increase.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 29 January 2021, 08:15 AM   #13
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Good stuff
Old 29 January 2021, 08:26 AM   #14
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:

Right, it’s not a good image. Essentially borrowing money from X to pay Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeah that's what i meant. it looks like a lot of his inventory comes from flippers
Oh, my bad. The ADs should be displeased with their clients for flipping rather than him.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:02 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i watch them but just a little too long. he should cut them down to no more than 20 minutes. youtube viewership would increase.
Totally agree with you. I had little to do today so I watched the full length one posted here

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2021, 09:02 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Good to know

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona

Quote:

I bought my white 116500 from him. I agree. Still had some stickers on it though not mentioned in the listing.

He inspected my trades and mailed out my Daytona same day.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:35 AM   #18
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Love it, thanks for sharing. I follow Roman on youtube also, so this is right up my alley!
Old 29 January 2021, 10:34 AM   #19
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s very true and that’s where some of these guys get in trouble. Not saying TG will, but one or two bad deals can really hurt when you’re floating funds.

It’s really tough margins with the hot references as the sellers want top dollar to come off them, so 10% to 15% tops is most you can make on those. If you pay less you won’t get inventory. Charge more and you won’t sell them.

Mixing some higher margin brands in there helps. Breitling, Cartier, Panerai..etc. something they can buy very low and try to sell @ 30% plus.

That’s why you see some greys not loaded up with Rolex. They need more margin.

The Problem, however, is the market is so laser focused on the hottest brands that its tough to move anything else....especially when the main promotional vehicle is social media, such as the gram.

Less collectors on there who will buy less popular but high margin stuff...but way more status centric buyers who demand fresh, hot Rolex and have absolutely no interest in anything else.
Old 29 January 2021, 11:53 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Tell him we like pizza.
Old 29 January 2021, 12:47 PM   #21
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Tell him we like pizza.
Pizza! Pizza!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 29 January 2021, 02:09 PM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
This was cool to watch, and at the same time....

I will try to explain this, but with all those watches, is the... “Passion” for a fine timepiece diminished? We, as Wises, all have a passion for watches, whether it’s a PP, Rolex or Invicta, we are just ... “In” to watches (passion is the best description I can come up with). Watching that video, when he was wheeling and dealing and talking price and trade etc. I kind of felt it lacked the passion of holding/wearing/buying/seeing a spectacular timepiece. We all know the feeling when we try on the watch we have coveted for a long time at the AD and just go.... “ Wow “ When you are selling and buying and trading with hundreds of watches in front of you all day every day, like you are buying and selling widgets, do you actually lose the Passion you have for a fine timepiece?

I did not mean this in any way to be derogatory, more power to that guy and he is obviously a hard worker, I wish him and his business the best, but just wondering if it changes how you would cherish and admire a fine timepiece when it was your business(?)

Old 29 January 2021, 02:10 PM   #23
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Tell him we like pizza.
I like Tacos
Old 29 January 2021, 03:37 PM   #24
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.
Old 29 January 2021, 03:38 PM   #25
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was a bit indifferent towards his channel until today. I thought it was well produced but he wasn’t someone i would reach out to. I saw what he did for the Tiktok kid that drove a bunch of business towards him. He gives the kid a nice DJ with a fluted bezel. i thought it was a really classy move. I’m a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2021, 03:41 PM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I like Tacos
Taco on your six Maverick.
Old 29 January 2021, 03:56 PM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was cool to watch, and at the same time....

I will try to explain this, but with all those watches, is the... “Passion” for a fine timepiece diminished? We, as Wises, all have a passion for watches, whether it’s a PP, Rolex or Invicta, we are just ... “In” to watches (passion is the best description I can come up with). Watching that video, when he was wheeling and dealing and talking price and trade etc. I kind of felt it lacked the passion of holding/wearing/buying/seeing a spectacular timepiece. We all know the feeling when we try on the watch we have coveted for a long time at the AD and just go.... “ Wow “ When you are selling and buying and trading with hundreds of watches in front of you all day every day, like you are buying and selling widgets, do you actually lose the Passion you have for a fine timepiece?

I did not mean this in any way to be derogatory, more power to that guy and he is obviously a hard worker, I wish him and his business the best, but just wondering if it changes how you would cherish and admire a fine timepiece when it was your business(?)

That’s an interesting question. I think there are some different levels to this.

Some greys are big collectors who turned their hobby into a business. They keep the passion and sometimes struggle with parting with watches because...they are collectors. They have in depth knowledge of watches and are passionate about the horology, but keenly know the market and it’s trends. However, they can get in trouble by holding on to watches too long or by buying too many because they are “collecting”.

Some “like” watches, but don’t really have a “collection”. They still wear a watch, but would sell it off their wrist in a second without hesitation. They mostly wear their inventory as a promotional piece to use on the gram. ..but maybe keep one as their EDC. Definitely all about the market and are much more focused on that than any horological details.

The last type I have encountered doesn’t have any passion for watches, doesn’t wear one, couldn’t care less about them other than have enough knowledge to be able to sell it . There are a ton of these guys out there.

I remember when I was a kid I used to visit a baseball card store ‘ coin shop. The owner openly admitted he didn’t collect anything. Just bought and sold to those in the hobby. I felt like he was like a drug dealer. Never used the stuff, but helped you get your fix. I really didn’t care for that. Some greys are the same way.

In time some dealers get so used to handling all these high end watches that they simply aren’t impressed by anything anymore and get burned out from that side of it.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:45 PM   #28
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
No way....ironically I have been watching his videos for the last couple of months, I like the videos and he does indeed seem like a great guy, I actually was thinking of buying something off him!!
Old 29 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
When you are selling and buying and trading with hundreds of watches in front of you all day every day, like you are buying and selling widgets, do you actually lose the Passion you have for a fine timepiece?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
In time some dealers get so used to handling all these high end watches that they simply aren’t impressed by anything anymore and get burned out from that side of it.
I look at it like most car dealers or any other broker/salesperson. It's just inventory to be moved. Sure, some are enthusiasts and might keep a particular item for their own use for a little while, but in the end, they are running a business and trying to make money.

I only watched a few minutes of the video. The problem with all of this youtube stuff and the toktik and whatnot is the bar for "professional quality" video has really been lowered. Really lousy audio, poor camera work and annoying editing.

Or maybe it's because I just have better things to do with my time. Like read forum posts. LOL

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 29 January 2021, 11:35 PM   #30
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I enjoy his videos, he has charisma. Was interesting watching a potential business partner trying to make a deal with him - I got bad vibes from the potential partner.