The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 April 2021, 08:05 AM   #31
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Why don't you just buy/download the music to your laptop/phone/media player, organize them how you want and listen just like it was a CD/cassette/vinyl.
Quality isn't the same for sure but at least you get to hear what you want to hear.
Exactly this. I have all my music by album, just digital.

I've never seen the need to stream anything.

So after reading this tread, you all stream (essentially download) the same songs every time you play them?

Why not download it once, and keep it?
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 08:36 AM   #32
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Exactly this. I have all my music by album, just digital.

I've never seen the need to stream anything.

So after reading this tread, you all stream (essentially download) the same songs every time you play them?

Why not download it once, and keep it?
Assuming you're asking me (sorry if not), I download them. I got upset because I simply couldn't find my albums. I had them organized and they changed everything and many artists that don't remotely interest me were there being offered.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 09:59 AM   #33
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Assuming you're asking me (sorry if not), I download them. I got upset because I simply couldn't find my albums. I had them organized and they changed everything and many artists that don't remotely interest me were there being offered.
I'm not asking anyone specifically, but there seem to be many here who stream.

I download and store separately to any cloud service. I'm used to having control over what I own, but it seems the newer generations are happy to let someone else decide what they're allowed to own.

Amazon being caught deleting books from kindles a while back just proved that book burning is now digital, and easier then ever to do.

Sadly politics now dictates what we're allowed to own and if a singer or song I like falls out of favour, I don't want it deleted from my play list because 20 years later some kid at Apple is offended by it.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 11:59 AM   #34
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I've embraced Apple Music since signing up for the family Apple One plan. I appreciate no difference in the sound as compared to CD on any of my listening setups, and the convenience and variety cannot be beat by traditional music media. My wife is holding onto Pandora mostly because she likes the variety of playlists better.
Same.

My listening is up 400% since Apple Music.

"Hey Siri... Play Allman Brothers on shuffle in the Squire Room".

I'm fine with paying a monthly pittance. In return, I don't need to spend my time as an unpaid archivist.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 12:28 PM   #35
Shibata
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
I listen to vinyl 90% of the time. The other 10% is Tidal Hifi with Roon to discover new music to buy on vinyl.
Shibata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 01:50 PM   #36
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I use BluOS and Tidal, also Amazon HD Music. I can't listen to streams from Apple Music anymore without getting a headache. I'm a big Neil Young fan, and the Neil Young Archives app has virtually everything he's ever recorded in streaming HD, and it's very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Roon+Tidal Hi-Fi
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2021, 08:15 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Had to revisit this thread as I was listening to music on my old set up this morning

20210416_053129.jpg20210416_053303.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:47 AM   #38
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm streaming Pink Floyd from Amazon Music right now, a feature of Amazon that I rarely use, but today, after fiddling with the placement of my Echo, I decided to give it a try and the device, the new position, and the stream are all doing very well.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 04:54 PM   #39
WilliamRobertson
"TRF" Member

I prefer to use Apple Music because it offers high audio quality, such as hi-res lossless, spatial audio albums, plus a new classical music app at no extra charge. With an Apple Music subscription, you can download music for offline playback, if you cancel it, you will lose access to downloaded songs from the Apple Music service. In this case, you can try AMusicSoft Apple Music Converter to keep tracks as MP3 and keep them outside the platform, so you don’t need to open the Apple Music app or subscribe to Apple Music to listen to Apple Music offline forever.
WilliamRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 09:18 PM   #40
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Roon+Tidal Hi-Fi

Roon is a game changer, I use it with Qobuz because of the purchase option. Highly recommend.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 12:43 AM   #41
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Agree, especially with great hi-fi gear. Amazon HD is also excellent and a bargain if you’re a Prime member. I have both and it’s interesting to compare the presentation of the same tracks on each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Tidal rocks, lot of master quality tracks.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 03:02 AM   #42
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

+1 Qobuz

Like many things about the music BUSINESS side of the equation.... Be VERY careful about how some services use the term "lossless", as for commercial profit purposes it was intentionally reduced to a low 1980s technology 20-bit/48kHz (they tried sneaking even lower quality Redbook CD 16-bit/44kHz but the massive industry backlash was nearly instantaneous).

Also beware of lossy proprietary formats like what Tidal uses (country-dependent). Sorry for all these warnings, it is the music BUSINESS that causes confusion... and purposeful reduction in minimum true lossless modern standards.

Qobuz can go up to 24-bit/192kHz depending on whatever 7Digital/whomever they source their files from. Starting at 24-bit/88kHz upward and you're good to go.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 03:03 AM   #43
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I just ordered a CD (Iron Maiden's first album) on Amazon to play in my truck when the radio is playing nothing but commercials.
I don't have any streaming services like XM / Sirius and my truck's radio doesn't connect to my phone. My radio does play CDs though. To tell the truth I really don't see how eliminating CDs from radios is any kind of upgrade or feature. This makes me old fashioned I guess. When cars switched from tapes to CDs the benefit was digital quality sound. What benefit does streaming an album have over actually owning the album? Anyway I'm feeling nostalgic as I was given this vinyl record by my grandmother when I was young. She told me that she knew nothing about the music but simply went to the record aisle at the department store and just found the ugliest cover she could and just knew I'd love it. She was right. Grandma was a hoot.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 03:53 AM   #44
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Old thread, but streaming music services have gotten terrible.

Every genre I listen to on Spotify of Pandora end up being the same 20 songs or so every time. If I change the parameters ever so slightly it’s not even the right genre of music. I hate it. Started giving up on music and diving into the depths of podcasts. :/