The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 3 June 2023, 06:25 AM   #31
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Many times the sellers on Ebay ARE trusted sellers, just another avenue to advertise.
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:33 AM   #32
derek001
"TRF" Member

I definitely wouldn’t, I have heard lots of negative stories.
derek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:38 AM   #33
Hawkeye98
"TRF" Member

Is it safe to purchase a Rolex on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAS View Post
I’ve used ebay many times for watches rolex/tudor without issue. They now also guarantee authenticity which is helpful though in dozens of purchases previously I didn’t have a serious problem. My one area of caution would be to stick with the US and use a credit card to give yourself another layer of protection. I say stick to the US because if you do need to issue a return on a foreign transaction you become the exporter of the item it can involve paperwork and fees to do correctly the worse I faced was a return to Japan it seams like there is a proliferation of Japan listings lately I will not touch those.

This ^. I needed to return a watch to Japan and had to file as some sort of business entity with the IRS in order to return it with the proper $ insurance coverage as the value exceeded the maximum standard jewelry coverage UPS/FedEx offers to private parties. Good thing I did because UPS lost the watch as they delivered it to a different address in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hawkeye98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:20 AM   #34
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I recently bought a Tudor Harrods BB from eBay, it was unworn and at a reasonable but not ‘cheap’ price. The watch went through the eBay authentication process and I took it to my local Tudor AD to have it sized and checked over. I did my due diligence ( as much as you can) on the seller. I’m very happy with the watch, maybe I was lucky but the whole process was very smooth and the watch is a beauty.
Old 3 June 2023, 08:02 AM   #35
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Yes its great to buy and sell on. I have bought and sold watches on ebay for years. Never had an issue. They now make you ship the watch to an authenticator. They act as a middle man to ensure all watches transact smoothly.

The watch market has been booming since covid. Ebay is a great place to buy/sell

Could some of the nay-say'ers explain some of their past experience's using ebay? Has this negativity been recent purchases/sales?
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 08:09 AM   #36
Polyesterpig
"TRF" Member

I have purchased watches on eBay. No problems so far. Each one came with a certificate of authenticity. They no longer offer the guarantee on watches purchased from out of the country (for us in the USA). Not sure about around the world.
Old 3 June 2023, 02:48 PM   #37
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I have purchased 4-5 watches in ebay
Flawless and great deal
Just last week I purchased 16710 from Japan amd arriived no issues

Love how Japanese people take care of their belongings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 11:59 AM   #38
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Maybe the safest imho. It gets verified for free, and shipped to you safely... if it had no box/papers it comes in a nice ebay box with a little verification card.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 04:56 PM   #39
Ibrahim Abuillan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I wouldn't do that.
Ibrahim Abuillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 05:12 PM   #40
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326938
I would, with some research. As they say, buy the seller not the watch.
I've purchased 2 watches on eBay with success.
Patek 5524R
HorologicalGangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 05:22 PM   #41
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
No no no to ePrey
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 08:35 PM   #42
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I have, as well as multiple Breitlings and a Sinn. This was years ago, well before the ebay authenticity guarantee. I had zero issues. The Rolex and Breitling were all from well established dealers selling on eBay so I wasn't concerned. Sinn was from a private seller with minimal feedback and it was priced accordingly.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 10:23 PM   #43
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I’ve purchased three watches on eBay and all was fine with them. They were all <Ł1k though so not the biggest risk to take although no authentication at that level.

My Rolex was advertised on eBay but I visited the seller’s physical store to buy it. Think it’s ok if you pick decent professional sellers and stay away from the people with feedback of 1 selling “grandpa’s watch”.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 12:57 AM   #44
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’ve sold eight watches on eBay this year, none over a thousand dollars. They ran only one through their third-party verification process, a Helm Komodo that sells new for about $350 that I sold for $500 shipped due to the long wait list for new. When we asked eBay why the Helm specifically they said they get a lot of fakes of that watch which sounds insane based on the low cost. Nonetheless it appears they have a “hot list” for frequently faked watches, no doubt Rolex is on it. Having said all that I wouldn’t buy or sell anything of significant value on eBay. I only sold watches there that could afford to lose.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 01:46 AM   #45
sherrill
"TRF" Member

You have to be careful. For example, a website called Michaelswatches.com is a fake website with stolen pictures and stolen address. There is a real store at that location, but the actual watch repair owner doesn’t have a website or deal with Rolexes. The scammer changes their handle name by adding a number or letter to the listing so they can put the fake listing back up every time it gets reported and taken down. eBay is a minefield. The owner has reported them to google, but to no avail. Do research, return policy and authentication to the best of your ability.
sherrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 02:00 AM   #46
SVC
Banned

I actually wouldn't do that
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 07:21 AM   #47
watchluvr4ever
"TRF" Member

eBay can be safe if you know what to look for, just remember that ”authentication” doesn’t mean the watch you receive does not require servicing which can be co$tly, and they are authenticating only the watch and not the accessories included. Do your homework.
watchluvr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 02:32 PM   #48
jraym12
"TRF" Member

I just bought one on ebay

can someone help me authenticate it? i cant post the link yet because im new.
jraym12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 02:41 PM   #49
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Easy answer: Don't do it. There is no reason to. Lots of good sellers on TRF and elsewhere.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 08:23 PM   #50
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

I have been selling on eBay for decades and have also bought and sold watches on there. So long as you research the seller and do your homework then it's no better or worse than buying used anywhere else. The reason sellers sell on there is because fees/overheads are comparatively low compared to many other selling platforms [ depends on country obviously ].
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2024, 10:16 PM   #51
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

It’s safe. BTW, PM me if you’re interested in purchasing some oceanfront land in Nebraska.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 04:52 AM   #52
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
No
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 05:10 AM   #53
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Many people will say no, and many people will say yes.

For me, it is absolutely out of the question. If you feel comfortable doing so, have a roll of the dice!
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 05:26 AM   #54
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

The people that say yes give example of the specific times they have used the service and that they haven’t had problems, even referring to the specific watches at times.

The people that say no, give vauge “I heard from someone” with no details to back it up. And ,of course, always a plug to buy from a “trusted seller”

I think the authentication service takes a lot of risk out of selling and buying. Not all risk, but a significant chunk of it.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 06:14 AM   #55
Belinus
"TRF" Member

I’m currently considering a couple of watches on eBay so the resurrection of this thread has come at a great time. From what I can tell and from listening to the podcast posted earlier on the thread, buying from eBay seems like one of the safer options if purchasing online.
Belinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 06:22 AM   #56
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
Many times the sellers on Ebay ARE trusted sellers, just another avenue to advertise.
I understand, but who exactly do you really trust. A lot of people trusted the TPG, and look how that turned out. Buying new, the AD is the only 100% trusted seller.
For pre owned, there will always be some lever of danger. Each person must decide how much risk they are willing to accept. Generally, sad to say, I trust no-one.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 07:02 AM   #57
Miker86
"TRF" Member

I’ve used the eBay authentication service twice and it’s fantastic. On one occasion the watch and papers were fine but the box was counterfeit- I was given the option to pull out of the deal which I did out of principle and the customer service from eBay was fantastic.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 07:06 AM   #58
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought three watches on eBay and have been very happy.

A preowned Panerai and JLC, as well as an unworn Batman.

Their authentication service gives me peace of mind. I plan on buying more watches, especially from the sellers I have already bought from.

On the other hand, my one experience with Chrono24 was not great and I won't be using them again.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2024, 07:29 AM   #59
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I have bought three watches on eBay and have been very happy.

A preowned Panerai and JLC, as well as an unworn Batman.

Their authentication service gives me peace of mind. I plan on buying more watches, especially from the sellers I have already bought from.

On the other hand, my one experience with Chrono24 was not great and I won't be using them again.
I forgot to mention that after I bought my 2nd watch via eBay they gave me a card that took 10% off my next watch purchase (up to $1K). This made the Batman a great deal for me.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 02:25 AM   #60
edinjo19
"TRF" Member

Please some established dealers for Breitling in e bay?thanks
edinjo19 is offline   Reply With Quote