The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2023, 02:09 AM   #31
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s basically my thoughts on safes too.

No right or wrong and obviously many here on the forum use them

I prefer to keep valuables including watches and important documents at the bank vault.
I kind of agree with this, but the bank vault makes it quite cumbersome to wake up in the morning and choose the watch you’d like to wear. Banks also have holidays and times that they’re closed, they can also go bankrupt.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:53 AM   #32
hanw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex_pl85 View Post
If there was a robbery to take place and your in the house having a huge safe there is the very first place the robbers will take you and threaten your life to open it up.

You should put mildly valuable items in there and fake diamonds (glass) as a decoy. Your real valuables should be hidden elsewhere like behind a false wall or something.

I have a safe at home but NONE of my watches or expensive jewels are there. My watches, gold bullion and jewels all reside behind other places where nobody would think twice.

In the safe is stuff like my passport, birth certificate, same cheap $10 fashion jewels etc.....to make it look valuable.

I totally agree with you on this. A bank vault is ideal for items you wouldn’t want to lose should you get robbed. It’s easy for someone to have all you items after threatening you.
hanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:57 AM   #33
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
My daddy used to say, “Locks only keep honest people honest.”
Sure maybe locks that other people know about.
Old 2 June 2023, 03:59 AM   #34
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
Sure maybe locks that other people know about.
?
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 04:27 AM   #35
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
?
The saying could be true if people are aware the safe is there, but certainly not if they don't know about it.
Old 2 June 2023, 04:33 AM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
This is not a threat in my location. I’m safeguarding against random petty intrusions where I’d prefer to have the security of everything locked than take the chance they find something hidden in a kitchen bowl or behind a painting.

EDIT:

Another issue I have with this is hiding space. After 3-4 Rolexes, the boxes start to add up and become difficult to hide unless you have a dedicated hiding spot with lots of room. I'd rather not scatter them around the house in weird locations, someone could stumble upon them and shoot them out by accident, or I could forget where they've been hidden. I'd rather have things organized and secured in one location. I think the best bet could be a well concealed safe.
I would recommend that you not store your watches in the presentation boxes as they get bulky as you say and are hard to hide. I would put the papers/links in an plastic baggie in a bank lock box. You are not going to need them. I would put the watches in the green Rolex pouches and easily store them together or separately in a secret location(s) in the house. The boxes just stack in a closet or better yet, put them in a sealed plastic storage container in the garage.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 04:42 AM   #37
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The saying could be true if people are aware the safe is there, but certainly not if they don't know about it.
Well the saying is always true because it’s an observation about people, not about locks.
Old 2 June 2023, 05:04 AM   #38
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

On a side note, my mother would hide things in uncommon areas such as the bottoms of laundry baskets, above cabinets, and really obscure places. When she downsize moved, she could not find a lot of precious jewelry. It went with the estate sale. Gone forever. I have misplaced (hidden so well that even I forget where) things in my home for months to years on end. Thankfully, I've found them all.

I think these random places are best, just be sure you recall what and where! :-)
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 05:52 AM   #39
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well the saying is always true because it’s an observation about people, not about locks.
The saying is only true if someone knows there's a lock to defeat, if they don't know it exists or it's location - then it is not true.
Old 2 June 2023, 05:55 AM   #40
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would recommend that you not store your watches in the presentation boxes as they get bulky as you say and are hard to hide. I would put the papers/links in an plastic baggie in a bank lock box. You are not going to need them. I would put the watches in the green Rolex pouches and easily store them together or separately in a secret location(s) in the house. The boxes just stack in a closet or better yet, put them in a sealed plastic storage container in the garage.
This is actually a fantastic idea. Boxes and paper stored at the bank because they aren't immediately needed. Watches hidden at home since they're easy to conceal. Thanks for this.

I don't keep my watches in the boxes anyways but I have been keeping them together. Watches go in the Watchpod cases.
Old 2 June 2023, 05:58 AM   #41
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The saying is only true if someone knows there's a lock to defeat, if they don't know it exists or it's location - then it is not true.
Of course it is, if they are honest and they don’t know where the lock is then they are still honest.

This is a very curious rabbit hole, indeed.
Old 2 June 2023, 06:09 AM   #42
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it is, if they are honest and they don’t know where the lock is then they are still honest.

This is a very curious rabbit hole, indeed.
It's kind of like the tree falling in the forest theory
Old 2 June 2023, 10:25 AM   #43
cinli
"TRF" Member

The bank vault is the perfect place to keep your most valuable and “hard to replace” items.
cinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 11:24 AM   #44
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Great info thanks.

I’m working with limited space as I don’t want to keep the safe in the basement. I’m currently eyeing RSC rated safes which I believe is one level above B rated.
That is not generally accurate.

I would recommend a lot of caution with RSCs!!! RSC Level 1 (historically just called RSCs) are generally pretty weak safes and usually have vastly less capability than a good B-rate safe. The sidewalls of most RSC-Is are usually their weakest point, often far less than 1/4 inch--sometimes less than 1/8th inch of steel. But even the doors are often relatively light. These are generally not safes that you want someone to actually attack. (There are some exceptions, with safes that are built much tougher and then tested with the RSC-1 test, but most safes with the RSC/RSC-1 labels are generally lightly armored safes that I would not personally recommend putting a ton of valuables in.)

RSC Level 2 is an entirely different animal. This is a relatively new rating and not many safes are yet to test/pass this label. The most popular RSC-II, which is made by AmSec, has construction that is slightly above a solid B-rate safe and has certain construction components generally used with high-security safes. This is a legitimate safe.

If you are looking for something small, specifically want burglary protection, and don't care about fire, a B-rate or C-rate cash safe (properly bolted down) is a great way to go, IMHO, as it isn't terribly expensive and would be reasonable for a few watches and what not (but not for high-dollar collections). An example of this would be the AmSec BWB3020 or the Hollon B2015C (a lot of companies make this type of product in different sizes, including smaller sizes that are very easy to hide away.)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 11:38 AM   #45
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
That is not generally accurate.

I would recommend a lot of caution with RSCs!!! RSC Level 1 (historically just called RSCs) are generally pretty weak safes and usually have vastly less capability than a good B-rate safe. The sidewalls of most RSC-Is are usually their weakest point, often far less than 1/4 inch--sometimes less than 1/8th inch. But even the doors are often relatively light. These are generally not safes that you want someone to actually attack. (There are some exceptions, with safes that are built much tougher and then tested with the RSC-1 test, but most safes with the RSC/RSC-1 labels are generally lightly armored safes that I would not personally recommend putting a ton of valuables in.)

RSC Level 2 is an entirely different animal. This is a relatively new rating and not many safes are yet to test/pass this label. The most popular RSC-II, which is made by AmSec, has construction that is slightly above a solid B-rate safe and has certain construction components generally used with high-security safes. This is a legitimate safe.

If you are looking for something small, specifically want burglary protection, and don't care about fire, a B-rate or C-rate cash safe (properly bolted down) is a great way to go, IMHO, as it isn't terribly expensive and would be reasonable for a few watches and what not (but not for high-dollar collections). An example of this would be the AmSec BWB3020 or the Hollon B2015C (a lot of companies make this type of product in different sizes.)
I’m looking specifically at the Amsec BF1512, and UL1812. The BFS1512 was also an option but it doesn’t fit as well in my installation location. Any input on these?

I’m worried anything above RSC is going to be too heavy for my location as I’m not installing in the basement. I see TL15 starting around 400 pounds.
Old 2 June 2023, 11:48 AM   #46
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m looking specifically at the Amsec BF1512, and UL1812. The BFS1512 was also an option but it doesn’t fit as well in my installation location. Any input on these?

I’m worried anything above RSC is going to be too heavy for my location as I’m not installing in the basement. I see TL15 starting around 400 pounds.
The BF1512 is a solid pick, IMHO. It has roughly B-rate construction and has passed RSC-1. It is one of those exceptions of a safe with the RSC rating that is built beyond what is needed to pass the RSC test. It's not something you would want to store a priceless collection in as it's not a high-security safe, but it's a great choice for a handful of watches and other household valuables, IMO. It also has very good fire protection, as well.
Old 2 June 2023, 02:05 PM   #47
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

My insurance wanted TL-30 or higher
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 03:37 PM   #48
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

My insurer requires a safe and I can hold upto £100k of watches ,jewellery etc. The safe was professionally fitted to the floor in the bottom of one of our wardrobes.
Old 3 June 2023, 12:19 AM   #49
Dukes_06
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU-MOOSE View Post
I have a full sized safe in my basement that cannot be removed without a crane. I installed this in my closet for watches and jewelry that my wife and I regularly wear. Winders are specable 3,6,9 and drawers or shelves.
It has a finger print opener and works great.
man that looks perfect, may I ask where did you purchase it?

Thank you
Dukes_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 10:47 PM   #50
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
So...to sum it up, you can't just buy any safe, only one that's rated at xx amount for fire/theft, heavy enough, and bolted to the floor. Okay, makes sense...

However, if you do buy that safe, and there is a burglary while you're at home, then you don't want your Rolexes in that safe, b/c you and/or family's safety would be at risk. Okay, makes sense...

Unless I've missed something, aren't we back where we started?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 03:54 AM   #51
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Safes are more to prevent kids or nosey neighbors. Real burglars who know their target can open/steal safes. A simple bolt down will prevent most of your theft situations. If you worry about proper cat burglars, put them in a vault somewhere. And it's best not to tell anyone about it.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 06:21 AM   #52
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
There are some good threads on this over in the open discussion forum.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=Safe

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=Safe
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 07:34 AM   #53
Subb
2024 Pledge Member

Having a safe is a great idea, just make sure you're going for the best.
Subb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 10:05 AM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
Safes are more to prevent kids or nosey neighbors. Real burglars who know their target can open/steal safes. A simple bolt down will prevent most of your theft situations. If you worry about proper cat burglars, put them in a vault somewhere. And it's best not to tell anyone about it.
For quite a few of the safes that are marketed/sold to consumers, I completely agree with you that they mainly can keep folks out who are not very motivated, skilled, or equipped.

But with respect to high-security safes, it is worth noting that these safes are designed to keep the most skilled of individuals with the best tools out for a very prolonged period of time. Skilled and equipped burglars are going to struggle to get through a TL-30x6 safe with a Group 1 lock. For many of the folks on this forum, should they opt for a safe, something with a TL rating is arguably a very good match for the value of their collections, can often be purchased for a pretty reasonable price, and would present a very formidable challenge to anyone looking to get inside.

There are even some safes that can survive a prolonged attack with a thermal lance and keep the contents intact (although a safe of this caliber is generally not something one would need in the home.)

Old 4 June 2023, 10:25 AM   #55
boltz
Banned

Mesa safe is a good option.
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:31 PM   #56
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes_06 View Post
man that looks perfect, may I ask where did you purchase it?

Thank you
https://blumsafe.com/

I had to have it professionally installed. I didn’t have electricity the so they had to come off a plug on the other side of the wall.
LSU-MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 02:07 PM   #57
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Another vote for Liberty.. And the size you want, dont, go a size bigger!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 05:08 PM   #58
Ibrahim Abuillan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
depends on the neighborhood
Ibrahim Abuillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 05:48 PM   #59
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
I think a contract for a security service that goes out on an alert is worth more. Then a relatively simple safe is enough, because the intruder does not have time to open it. If they have time, there isn't a safe they can't open or even to take away.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 07:27 PM   #60
TBT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Before I call my insurance and buy a safe is anyone aware of a safe security rating to watch value ratio?
Lot's of solid info already mentioned above.

My advice is to visit a safe specialty store with a good inventory you can go through and see and feel the difference. I went up in both size and quality after walking a safe showroom and getting a first-hand experience of the range of models, features, construction, and finish. Very happy I did too.
TBT is offline   Reply With Quote