The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 March 2020, 10:59 AM   #3241
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I am starting to get concerned about sanitation issues due to the availability of toilet paper.

Your thoughts?

Save your dryer lint, boil your newspapers and make your own.

Here’s one recipe - but if you’re planning on flushing think about that twice.

https://www.survivopedia.com/diy-toilet-paper/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 22 March 2020, 11:04 AM   #3242
dimag333
"TRF" Member

There was no cloths detergent either

steve
Old 22 March 2020, 11:11 AM   #3243
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
In NYC, you still see the people, mostly the younger generation out. There jogging, riding Citibikes, and walking in groups. Totally disregarding social distance. Really... As of tomorrow, Sunday March 22, Gov. Cuomo orders everyone to stay home. Of course essential workers, and essential businesses are exempt. NYC is now the epicenter of the Coronavirus. We all need to do our part, and be responsible. The faster we adhere to what we’re ordered to do, the faster we hope this virus gets contained.
Old 22 March 2020, 11:18 AM   #3244
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Save your dryer lint, boil your newspapers and make your own.

Here’s one recipe - but if you’re planning on flushing think about that twice.

https://www.survivopedia.com/diy-toilet-paper/

I've been hopping in the shower after, considering theres still running water. To save the precious tp.

SM-N960U
Old 22 March 2020, 11:32 AM   #3245
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I am starting to get concerned about sanitation issues due to the availability of toilet paper.

More and more people I speak to are running out or are out. They can't find any.

It was bit of a joke at first, but people are doing some questionable things to deal with the issue and it's messing up plumbing and sewage systems.

Some stores are limiting purchases (but not all), but will there need to be rationing? Like real WW2 style rationing of some goods like TP and Sanitizer?

Your thoughts?
Answer: Just user water/bidet. If that's expensive, use the Hand held bidet spray. It is available for $25 and you have water right beside you which will not run out of stock!
Old 22 March 2020, 11:47 AM   #3246
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
For people who enjoy science and facts:

Evidence over hysteria - COVID-19
https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine...9-1b767def5894

Quote:
The World Health Organization (“WHO”) released a study on how China responded to COVID-19. Currently, this study is one of the most exhaustive pieces published on how the virus spreads.

The results of their research show that COVID-19 doesn’t spread as easily as we first thought or the media had us believe (remember people abandoned their dogs out of fear of getting infected). According to their report if you come in contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 you have a 1–5% chance of catching it as well. The variability is large because the infection is based on the type of contact and how long.

Quote:
None of the countries the global health authorities admire for their approach issued “shelter-in-place” orders, rather they used data, measurement,and promoted common sense self-hygiene.
Old 22 March 2020, 11:49 AM   #3247
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
I’m still shocked that Italy had its worst day ever, yesterday, with 600 deaths. Today, it’s 800 deaths! Not a good trajectory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2020, 11:59 AM   #3248
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post

Your article starts with this disclaimer...

"Anyone can publish on Medium per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov."

Please be aware that if you are spreading misinformation you might not just be winning an argument, you might be erroneously suggesting life compromising behaviors. I currently sit in a community where there are a lot of very sick people, and my real world experience contradicts the he suggestions made by your self described " non fact checked" source. I respect your opinion but please characterize it as such.

Here is the 31 year old authors background none of which appears to be public health related

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Ginn

Below is the actual CDC discussion on transmission that your source directs people to as authoritative and fact checked...

"The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in some affected geographic areas.

Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected."
Old 22 March 2020, 11:59 AM   #3249
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lots of great info there!

steve
Old 22 March 2020, 12:36 PM   #3250
Bryant Park
Banned

Best article weighing options I have read....

https://www.ft.com/content/16764a22-...9-1fe6fedcca75
Old 22 March 2020, 12:42 PM   #3251
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post

Thanks for sharing this. Reading the Imperial College paper earlier in the week was a really sobering experience. It’s distilled well in this article.

Old 22 March 2020, 01:18 PM   #3252
RWH
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Post taken down and is under investigation *facepalm* so much for science and facts
Old 22 March 2020, 01:29 PM   #3253
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:

To my earlier point please be careful with inadvertently spreading misinformation. It is particularly hurtful (and I would suspect embarrassing) to do so with a condescending title such as "For people who enjoy science and facts".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1070.jpg (32.1 KB, 307 views)
Old 22 March 2020, 01:51 PM   #3254
Star Ferry
Banned

For rich people, this is a few weeks of inconvenience. For the less affluent, this is lasting devastation. And no, I don't believe the millions of laid-off workers will all be rehired.

The plan for responding to COVID-19 is primarily being designed by rich people, or government workers with very high income security. The primary victims will be the poor.

In my heart I believe that, in the aggregate, no lives will be saved. We don't have the social safety nets, or social cohesion, necessary to allow for a total shutdown.
Old 22 March 2020, 01:58 PM   #3255
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
For rich people, this is a few weeks of inconvenience. For the less affluent, this is lasting devastation. And no, I don't believe the millions of laid-off workers will all be rehired.

The plan for responding to COVID-19 is primarily being designed by rich people, or government workers with very high income security. The primary victims will be the poor.

In my heart I believe that, in the aggregate, no lives will be saved. We don't have the social safety nets, or social cohesion, necessary to allow for a total shutdown.
We are supposed to refrain from political debate. Classism in the form you employ it is a type of political debate.

Lastly I think the dead rich people will find this to more than an inconvenience.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:02 PM   #3256
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
We are supposed to refrain from political debate. Classism is a form of political debate. Lastly I think the dead rich people will find this to more than an inconvenience.
I don't see it as politics, unless admitting that wealth affects how we think/act is a political statement. I also don't see an easy solution. The alternative (aim for herd immunity, carry on business as usual, etc.) would also be devastating.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:09 PM   #3257
Bryant Park
Banned

pol·i·tics (noun)
the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

"The plan for responding to COVID-19 is primarily being designed by rich people, or government workers with very high income security"

The implication of your statement is that those in power (rich, government workers, financially secure) are governing with their own self interest in mind. Please see the definition of politics I have copied. While you might not see it as politics you are expressing it as political.

By example observe this one word change in two of your comments...,

"The plan for responding to COVID-19 is primarily being designed by REPUBLICANS/DEMOCRATS with very high income security."

"I don't see it as politics, unless admitting that POLITICAL PARTY affects how we think/act is a political statement."

In both cases you are attributing wealth to be a political motivator, purpose or cause.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:17 PM   #3258
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
pol·i·tics (noun)
the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.

"The plan for responding to COVID-19 is primarily being designed by rich people, or government workers with very high income security"

The implication of your statement is that those in power (rich, government workers, financially secure) are governing with their own self interest in mind. Please see the definition of politics I have copied. While you might not see it as politics you are expressing it as political.
Let's cut the adverbial phrase starting with "especially" and focus on the heart of that definition: "the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area."

Since government is leading the response, then under that definition, hundreds of posts in this thread are political. It's hard to avoid in this topic. I do try to be respectful to other members. I realize I've bothered you with my post, and for that I apologize.
Old 22 March 2020, 02:22 PM   #3259
Andad

Watch: A few.
We have moderators following this thread very closely John.

I am sure they will give us their opinion if necessary?

Old 22 March 2020, 02:25 PM   #3260
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
I’m still shocked that Italy had its worst day ever, yesterday, with 600 deaths. Today, it’s 800 deaths! Not a good trajectory.

Absolutely devastating. Afraid to see what tomorrow brings. I keep hoping to see it go the other way but so far keeps climbing. To my understanding they’ve lost a handful of doctors in all this mess. Horrible.

Old 22 March 2020, 02:28 PM   #3261
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Let's cut the adverbial phrase starting with "especially" and focus on the heart of that definition: "the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area."

Since government is leading the response, then under that definition, hundreds of posts in this thread are political. It's hard to avoid in this topic. I do try to be respectful to other members. I realize I've bothered you with my post, and for that I apologize.
You haven't offended me. You have however politicized the discussion by generalizing and attributing the wealth of those in power as the primary determinant of their political decisions as embodied in public health decisions. Your implication is that those "political" decisions were self serving and not in the broad public interest.

My concern is that diminishing the motivations behind the orders to socially isolate may diminish people's willingness to adhere to it which may in turn cause people to die. That is why I am sensitive to those decisions being politicized (in my opinion).

I agree you are respectful as is my intent towards you, thanks!
Old 22 March 2020, 02:56 PM   #3262
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling

TRF colleagues: Here is a blog that posts world news/updates for coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-south-america

Please keep this thread open. So important. We need it for global commentary from our members, for our members.

Old 22 March 2020, 04:09 PM   #3263
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Are you in the US?

South Africa
Old 22 March 2020, 04:21 PM   #3264
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
Where in the world are you?

steve
South Africa
Old 22 March 2020, 04:29 PM   #3265
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
In NYC, you still see the people, mostly the younger generation out. There jogging, riding Citibikes, and walking in groups. Totally disregarding social distance. Really... As of tomorrow, Sunday March 22, Gov. Cuomo orders everyone to stay home. Of course essential workers, and essential businesses are exempt. NYC is now the epicenter of the Coronavirus. We all need to do our part, and be responsible. The faster we adhere to what we’re ordered to do, the faster we hope this virus gets contained.
Well,thats the problem .People do not listen .Look at the New York figures it may be the next Italy after Spain .

What people do not understand is that draconian measures are now needed.
Contain,let it burn out .May take several months and then we start rebuilding the world .
People are not at the point yet to accept that the world has changed significantly .
Tough times are lying ahead .
Old 22 March 2020, 04:46 PM   #3266
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Frankly, I’m tired of the whole debacle. I don’t understand the need for multiple family packs of TP as if being stuck in your house for a year is a real possibility. The media is treating this whole thing as if it could wipe out humanity. Not gonna happen. Yes the situation is bad, more so on the economic end of the stick. I have shut some of my friends and family out for being ultimate fear mongers. This will not reach the level of the pestilence. Not even close, that I can guarantee. I am not here to make light, just frustrated with the whole thing.
Old 22 March 2020, 05:14 PM   #3267
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
Frankly, I’m tired of the whole debacle. I don’t understand the need for multiple family packs of TP as if being stuck in your house for a year is a real possibility. The media is treating this whole thing as if it could wipe out humanity. Not gonna happen. Yes the situation is bad, more so on the economic end of the stick. I have shut some of my friends and family out for being ultimate fear mongers. This will not reach the level of the pestilence. Not even close, that I can guarantee. I am not here to make light, just frustrated with the whole thing.
J, if ‘fear mongering’ is the only way to explain the cold hard facts to some who think this is not a serious situation then I have nothing to add.

It has all been said.

Old 22 March 2020, 06:12 PM   #3268
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
J, if ‘fear mongering’ is the only way to explain the cold hard facts to some who think this is not a serious situation then I have nothing to add.

It has all been said.
Well said Eddie, big changes here this week.
Old 22 March 2020, 06:14 PM   #3269
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

It has all been said.
I know it is a serious situation, I pray for those gravely affected every night, but it is not the literal end of days. My initial frustration is with people stocking up like being quarantined to your house could last for a year or more.
Old 22 March 2020, 06:24 PM   #3270
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Debacle? It’s wiping out a whole generation of Italian elders, Iran is crippled under sanctions, New York and California are pretty much locked down.,and can’t get what they need. And screw economics at this point. The U.S. needs a complete quarantine. No flights or any kind of travel. It’s spreading like a wild brush fire. Everyone is frustrated.. especially when one of your family or yourself needs a ventilation machine or vaccine.

Jesus, some you are worried about the stock market and your next watch purchase. And if your business survives.

Grow the hell up.

If it hits the US like Italy we are done
for years perhaps. Let’s all pray that they find a vaccine quickly,

Just stop and think. No one here is immune to this debacle