The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2023, 08:32 AM   #1
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
More flippers out there than we might think?..

So I am sure this topic has been talked about before but I wanted to put in my two cents. First off we dont know exactly how many Rolex watches are produced in a given year, but we know its a lot.

With that said, based on the number of "unworn" current model years on the gray market there are a TON of flippers out there. To be honest, if there was enough profit margin and I was not really in love with the watch I would consider flipping it. (I know a lot of people may clutch their pearls when I admit to that) So do you folks think it is fair to say that more people are flipping than would admit to it? Would you flip a watch? Lets be real here before you answer that question. You are offered a model that you know you could make $40K near instantly and its not something that you are in love with, would you do it?
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 08:43 AM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, I have sold watches at market value (which was below MSRP). Yes, I have used the proceeds to buy other watches - flipping. Yes, I have turned down a hot model offered to me unsolicited by my AD, on which I could have doubled my money. We're all different and we react to different events in different ways.

There's no correlation because much of the data are unknown. It's just personal anecdotes with expressions of opinion and speculation, which is what, among several things, a discussion forum is for.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 08:58 AM   #3
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

A couple models MAY yield $40k profit. Most are in the $4-7k range. Not worth it to me, but I see some people on FB who are constantly offered stock over and over again. If I had a constant supply and I could make $4-7k every other month for nothing? Yes, I would probably put effort into it.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:07 AM   #4
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
There’s definitely more than 7 flippers out there
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:17 AM   #5
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Selling a watch you bought with the intent of keeping but later let go because you don't love it does not make someone a flipper. I bought a new 126610LN 18 months ago, and would sell it if I didn't love it, that's a lot of money to just leave sitting in a drawn.

A recent Teddy Baldassarre video said around 1.2M watches made.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:31 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Many of these used watches online have been lightly polished to look unworn. Who knows why people sell watches. There have been many posters here who said they would take an offered watch, just not to turn it down and lose AD favor. No question about it many buyers are selling their watches sooner rather than later. Never being happy with any watch and always looking for the next one creates a lot churning.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:42 AM   #7
ducatiti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Many of these used watches online have been lightly polished to look unworn. Who knows why people sell watches. There have been many posters here who said they would take an offered watch, just not to turn it down and lose AD favor. No question about it many buyers are selling their watches sooner rather than later. Never being happy with any watch and always looking for the next one creates a lot churning.
This is so true. "Lightly polished" is key for those sold as New even with very reputable sellers here.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 09:49 AM   #8
ducatiti
Banned

Question is how does Rolex find out if a regular Joe buys a piece from an AD and immediately sells it in the forums? My SA advisor told me one will be allowed to buy another Rolex from them. Is this really the case?
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 10:00 AM   #9
buknoy
Banned

Watch: GMTs
Here’s one ad doing backdoor selling. The guy already selling this 2 watches. Warranty not even dated yet. Best part is that ad sold 2 watches from same guy at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buknoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 10:01 AM   #10
buknoy
Banned

Also theres a video of grey dealer on youtube said that most of their clients that sells hot rolex watches from them are VIP at rolex ADs. they are the ones that flips watches.
Old 2 June 2023, 10:04 AM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buknoy View Post
Here’s one ad doing backdoor selling. The guy already selling this 2 watches. Warranty not even dated yet. Best part is that ad sold 2 watches from same guy at same time.

Oysterflex YMs are selling below MSRP, so it's not clear to me how this particular flipper is planning to get rich.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 10:07 AM   #12
buknoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Oysterflex YMs are selling below MSRP, so it's not clear to me how this particular flipper is planning to get rich.

True but selling both watch to same person is unheard of especially same model and you cant even see them on display for sale on any ads even though they not a hot seller. And at the same time he probably getting a hot piece on the side with that purchase

Old 3 June 2023, 04:04 AM   #13
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I turned down a Hulk in 2016, before the hype, because I didn't like it. I wish I hadn't. Could have used the cash to get a grail like the 126618LB, without feeling bad for spending stupid money on a watch, kind of .
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 04:21 AM   #14
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
So I am sure this topic has been talked about before but I wanted to put in my two cents. First off we dont know exactly how many Rolex watches are produced in a given year, but we know its a lot.

With that said, based on the number of "unworn" current model years on the gray market there are a TON of flippers out there. To be honest, if there was enough profit margin and I was not really in love with the watch I would consider flipping it. (I know a lot of people may clutch their pearls when I admit to that) So do you folks think it is fair to say that more people are flipping than would admit to it? Would you flip a watch? Lets be real here before you answer that question. You are offered a model that you know you could make $40K near instantly and its not something that you are in love with, would you do it?
Nope, not VIP enough to be allocated a rolex. I would only buy a watch meant to be worn and kept for a long time.

Grey dealers, scalpers or flippers whom buy brand new watches and sell at inflated prices need to find another line of work...
kopi-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 04:54 AM   #15
zi464
"TRF" Member

Ofc, there are more than we thought .
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 05:18 AM   #16
VerticalClutch
Banned

Nope. If I don't want it, I'd simply pass on it. If I want the watch, I don't care about the money I could "make," I want the watch, I'd rather have the watch. For example a Pepsi, I'd rather have the watch than the 5k I could get by flipping one. A Playtona? I'd rather have the watch.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 05:23 AM   #17
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buknoy View Post
True but selling both watch to same person is unheard of especially same model and you cant even see them on display for sale on any ads even though they not a hot seller. And at the same time he probably getting a hot piece on the side with that purchase

how do you know they had no one else to sell them to though? this model has had very little interest since its release
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 05:26 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Well today Rolex watches have become little more than ££€€$$ object things and little more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 05:35 AM   #19
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Potential profits for flippers have to have diminished
With public Rolex hype awareness and the internet
Anybody can check the market for a specific reference
Instantly.
Few easy marks left for a “steal” purchase
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:14 AM   #20
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are a lot of people on here who are always buying watches selling watches regularly. They say they aren't flippers but if you change your mind on a watch after 1-2mo and sell it, I consider you a flipper, especially if this happens over and over.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:21 AM   #21
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

I would, but I don't get offered any cool pieces so I don't. Besides, if I did I would keep those pieces for myself lol. At least I admit it.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:27 AM   #22
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Refreshing to see some admit that they would take an opportunity to make a quick profit.
Old 3 June 2023, 07:37 AM   #23
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
More flippers out there than we might think?..

Quote:
Refreshing to see some admit that they would take an opportunity to make a quick profit.

Well am waiting for quite some time for a 126710 BLRO from my AD. If offered the VTNR at a retail would certainly buy it and trade it use it towards the BLRO; no brainer to me regardless if someone would call me a flipper because of that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:44 AM   #24
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:

In the early part of 2022, if you were able to get a Day-Date 40, rose gold with olive green dial from your local AD or Rolex Boutique, a $40,000 profit, even with with the sales tax, added to your cost,was fairly easy to come by. I know, I did it and bought some watches I really wanted
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:50 AM   #25
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
This is so true. "Lightly polished" is key for those sold as New even with very reputable sellers here.
The other phrase to watch out for is 'appears unpolished'. I mean, what's that? It either is or it isn't.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 08:06 AM   #26
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well today Rolex watches have become little more than ££€€$$ object things and little more.
I think you're wrong and completely missing the point of them. To help prove that you're wrong, why don't you buy my BLRO in a slightly used state - maybe 90% per Timzeone standards ...let's say for $21.5K to my zelle account ...insured overnight shipping. Once you get it you'll really understand how wrong you are.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 09:50 AM   #27
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
I had an opportunity to buy a root beer gmt about a year ago - when they were still selling for in the mid-twenties - and turned it down.

While tempting to buy it and flip, I hope my AD appreciated my commitment not to do that, and I'll get something high on my target list. A year later? Still waiting for something on that list to become available.
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 10:07 AM   #28
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGMoney View Post
I had an opportunity to buy a root beer gmt about a year ago - when they were still selling for in the mid-twenties - and turned it down.

While tempting to buy it and flip, I hope my AD appreciated my commitment not to do that, and I'll get something high on my target list. A year later? Still waiting for something on that list to become available.
To be honest, I dont think the AD's give a rat's behind what we do with a watch once is has been purchased.
Old 3 June 2023, 10:10 AM   #29
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I’m starting to think the same myself.

Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 10:53 AM   #30
htm998
Banned

I resell watches and I rarely make a profit -- most of the time, I take a slight loss.

My reasoning is that I get to try a whole bunch of different watches.
htm998 is offline   Reply With Quote