The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 June 2023, 11:14 AM   #31
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

In the end what does it matter what anyone else does? It’s really no one’s business and no one cares including Rolex. Once you buy the watch it’s yours to sell, wear, or destroy.
This is one of those “you be you” because everything else is beyond anyone’s control and not worth much thought.
Old 3 June 2023, 11:31 AM   #32
watchluvr4ever
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
In the end what does it matter what anyone else does? It’s really no one’s business and no one cares including Rolex. Once you buy the watch it’s yours to sell, wear, or destroy.
This is one of those “you be you” because everything else is beyond anyone’s control and not worth much thought.
100% agree.
watchluvr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 05:53 PM   #33
rolex_pl85
Banned

Of course there are still 1000s and 1000s of flippers.

Man.....some ppl will go out of their way to buy a Wallmart gift voucher and buy one on the secondary market to save $5. All this effort etc....for a measly 5 bucks.

Even if there was a few $100 profit in Rolex there will ALWAYS be scalpers trying to benefit financially.
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 06:48 PM   #34
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I am curious how many flippers give kick backs to SAs or ADs.

I’m not saying it’s unethical; but they are just watches after.

But I don’t see how an SA who doesn’t earn much, could pass on the opportunity to makes thousands extra by having a buddy split the grey mark up.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:14 PM   #35
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Selling a watch you bought with the intent of keeping but later let go because you don't love it does not make someone a flipper.
It makes me a flipper. Flipping watches is buying, selling and exchanging. It's not a derogatory term. Now, if you want to talk about gouging...
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:16 PM   #36
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
But I don’t see how an SA who doesn’t earn much, could pass on the opportunity to makes thousands extra by having a buddy split the grey mark up.
This tells us what you would do. It doesn't say anything about what a SA would do.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 08:38 PM   #37
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
I haven't sold any of my Rolex watches, but if I were to tire of a watch, I think that most non-trusted TRF sellers (yet very honest individuals) would break even or perhaps make a slight profit after covering tax. Dealers have no trouble making thousands more than your typical member selling a watch. I think that if don't "connect" with a watch, you should sell it and move on to something you would enjoy. You are not considered a flipper.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 08:53 PM   #38
SamArj
"TRF" Member

The biggest flippers are in some cases the biggest whales. When you see unworn Platonas and gem set models for sale it's the only explanation. These watches are very very difficult to get even for people who would be considered good customers with excellent purchase history.

Personally I don't begrudge these people flipping their watches if they so desire. I'm pretty sure that they would have spent vast amounts of money on other brands that are worth half of what they spent the minute they walk out of the store.
It's a way for the AD to say thank you and give something back to their top 1% of customers.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 09:48 PM   #39
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Buy/Sell/Trade/Flip, use whatever names you want, it is all a part of the watch game. When I purchase a watch or any other item it belongs to me. I will do with that item whatever I want, when I want and for as much or little as I can get or choose to part with it for. I typically buy at Grey prices and sell at Grey prices. Make a little, lose a little but most of the time I am rolling into another watch. It has been years since my AD has offered me a Rolex or I have asked for one. Although I might have asked to see the Green Sky-Dweller and the Titanium Yachtmaster. We have a great relationship though because I buy a lot of Breitling/Tudor/Panerai/Grand Seiko, etc from them. I don't like asking for what I can not have and I refuse to play games and wait only to be told that I can not sell the watch. So I just don't go there. In the end, we should be less worried about what others are doing and focused on what we are doing.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 09:53 PM   #40
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Question is how does Rolex find out if a regular Joe buys a piece from an AD and immediately sells it in the forums? My SA advisor told me one will be allowed to buy another Rolex from them. Is this really the case?
I sold a few watches myself online years ago with my contact information. I did one of those computer backround checks on me and every one of those old listings came up.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 09:58 PM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve sold 3 Rolex in my life. I bought each one with the intention of keeping them forever, that’s why I bought them in the first place).

When I didn’t enjoy wearing the watch any longer, I move them on for someone else. I didn’t really think about what they were worth in the moment.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 11:51 PM   #42
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
As far as I am concerned, if you pay for a watch, it is yours and you can do with it whatever you wish. Keep it, wear it or sell it. If a dealer decides not to sell you another watch, so be it.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 12:06 AM   #43
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Are we really questioning the moral compass of a person here? Is there some right or wrong debate? If you had the opportunity to flip 1, 2 or 100 watches you all would do it. There is no honor in turning down a watch from an AD to allow another person to wear it.

The AD's play games to make people buy jewlery or inventory they cant sell. They created this mess of hard to get pieces. The demand for watches is up which leads to higher prices. The manufacturers will take years for supply to meet demand.

Blame the greedy AD's and slow to move luxury manufacturers.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 12:26 AM   #44
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Are we really questioning the moral compass of a person here? Is there some right or wrong debate? If you had the opportunity to flip 1, 2 or 100 watches you all would do it. There is no honor in turning down a watch from an AD to allow another person to wear it.

The AD's play games to make people buy jewlery or inventory they cant sell. They created this mess of hard to get pieces. The demand for watches is up which leads to higher prices. The manufacturers will take years for supply to meet demand.

Blame the greedy AD's and slow to move luxury manufacturers.
Rolex must love the current environment. How could they not. Inventory is sold immediately. The product holds or gains value on the secondary markets, creating prestige for the brand and increasing demand further. I am not sure I place blame on ADs for anything. They sell what they have the best way they can to maximize the return to the store. I am not so sure about the shortages in the late summer of 2017. Going into that year AD cases were full everywhere and demand was typical. Then Rolex stopped shipping claiming demand outpaced supply worldwide. Here in the US cases just naturally emptied before the holidays not because of hyper demand but due to lack of new supply. IMO, these supply disruptions played a big role in the FOMO mania in Rolex buying. No AD I spoke to was selling faster stock than they could restock with normal deliveries early that summer.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:00 AM   #45
Dragline
"TRF" Member

So much speculation about this brand. A rising (price) tide lifts all boats. SOMEBODY is making $$$$$.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:30 AM   #46
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Question is how does Rolex find out if a regular Joe buys a piece from an AD and immediately sells it in the forums? My SA advisor told me one will be allowed to buy another Rolex from them. Is this really the case?
Did you omit the word not?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 05:42 AM   #47
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100 View Post
Potential profits for flippers have to have diminished
With public Rolex hype awareness and the internet
Anybody can check the market for a specific reference
Instantly.
Few easy marks left for a “steal” purchase

Nice poem , I’m moved to tears
Old 4 June 2023, 11:19 AM   #48
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post

To be honest, I dont think the AD's give a rat's behind what we do with a watch once is has been purchased.

AD's care if you flip it because they get kick-backs from their regular flippers so if you do it without giving them their cut they don't like that.
Old 4 June 2023, 12:10 PM   #49
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Not a thing wrong with flipping. People see it as derogatory yet praise the people that pay over MSRP for a Rolex.

Without the people that pay over msrp there would be no flippers. Two sides of the same coin.

People should buy and sell as they please with their property and their money. You can't take it with you. Neither the flippers or buyers bother me as the secondary market is what gives my toys value. Sometimes far too much value.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:07 PM   #50
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
To be honest, I dont think the AD's give a rat's behind what we do with a watch once is has been purchased.
Nor should they.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:53 PM   #51
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My opinion as I agree with you.

I don't think ADs care about flippers unless it somehow starts to impact their allocations coming from Rolex.

I don't think Rolex cares unless it starts to tarnish the brand or something so malicious happens that Rolex has to step in and pretend it cares.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 01:58 PM   #52
current_exchange
"TRF" Member

It's not just with watches. Resellers are everywhere and buy anything they can resell.
current_exchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 07:46 PM   #53
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
AD's care if you flip it because they get kick-backs from their regular flippers so if you do it without giving them their cut they don't like that.

You have evidence of this?
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 09:14 PM   #54
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post