The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 20 October 2017, 09:15 AM   #1
StephenCanale
"TRF" Member

214270 Caliber 3132 Timing Opinion/Interpretation?

Testing a new Rolex Explorer 214270 acquisition and getting readings that are a bit odd to me (given my limited experience):

Up +2.3
3 -1.9
6 +0.8
6 +3.5
Dn +4.0

Beat error of .1 to .2 only in Up and 3

I understand these aren't bad, compared to my $1,200 ETA level watches, but the only other 3132 I've tested was less than 1 second +/- in all positions so I'm wondering if the above should be telling me anything? The 5.9 second range from - 1.9 to +4.0 seems excessive to me, but perhaps not.

The watch is just under 1 year old and apparently already sent in for regulation one time a few months ago.

Also, I'm having a hard time verifying the lift angle, some posts online swear it's 52 degrees, others say 54.. anyone know for sure?

Thanks for any insights, verbose and educational oriented would be especially appreciated but I'll take whatever I can get.
StephenCanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Firstly the lift angle for the 31## calibre family is 52 degrees. I am sure.

Timing tolerances for Rolex movements are based on two criteria.
These criteria are based on timing tests carried out in 5 positions and in two states of winding. Fully wound and 24 hours unwound. (so effectively 10 positions)

The first criteria is the maximum allowable positional variation over the 5 positions in two states of wind, so over 10 positions.

The 5 positions are, dial up, dial down, winding crown down, winding crown left, winding crown up.

The second criteria is the watch's average daily rate. This is calculated by adding the fully wound results and dividing them by 5.

Your results show a very good average daily rate.

2.3+0.8+3.5+4.0-1.9=8.7/5=1.74. So based on your results your watch is showing a daily average rate of +1.74 seconds a day. Well within tolerance.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 04:34 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Rolex allows a maximum delta of 12 seconds and 0,5ms beat error for that movement, your 5.9seconds and 0,3ms is fine.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 12:30 AM   #4
StephenCanale
"TRF" Member

Thank you both very much!

I noticed a typo, where I listed "6" twice but obviously the second was supposed to be the "9" position which was my shorthand for "crown left."

Overall timing seemed good, just the variance from the most negative to most positive was my concern, but that has been answered, along with confirmation of the lift angle

Again, much appreciated!

One interesting and unexpected oddity is the mention that Rolex uses "Winding Crown Up" or "12" position rather than "3" (right).

Not a big deal, but I had no idea they deviated from COSC on the 5 positions so I'll have to remember that.

Stephen
Old 30 October 2017, 02:03 AM   #5
StephenCanale
"TRF" Member

It was the Delta I was concerned with, and the fact that I get pretty different results every time I measure. Last night the overall timing came in quite low at just +1.1 but the Delta came in higher than usual, at 6.4. But, if as stated earlier that Rolex allows for much higher, so I guess this is not a concern. I haven't run it after 24 hours of reserve though, so I'll do that next.

This is via my Lepsi Watch Analyzer...it's attached, but I'm not sure how to assure it will display in the post itself.

Rolex Explorer Lepsi 10-28-17.jpg

Also, I realize Rolex and COSC only use 5 positions, but the software is capable of using and storing all 6 so I just went ahead and ran them all.
Old 31 October 2017, 10:32 AM   #6
StephenCanale
"TRF" Member

Okay so the 24 hour test was quite a bit different and I have two puzzles I don't understand.

First, the timing is way different, especially in CR and CU.. the numbers now come in at:

DT -0.8 211 .2
DU +0.1 207 0
CL -1.0 190 0
CU -4.8 198 .1
CR -20.3 185 .2
CT -6.4 187 .2

So that's a really bad Delta after 24 hours, but mostly in CR and CT and I don't know what that means.

Also, I'm not sure exactly when to take the measurement.... more than any other watch, this one doesn't seem to level off.

For instance, on the last measure (CT) the numbers (on a 12 sec average on my Weishi 1900) the registered:

-23.5, -17.4, -16.3, -15.6, -15.6, -15.6, -15.1, -13.5, -12.3, -12.3, -11.2, -10.7, -9.9, -9.9, -9.4, -8.6, -8.6, -8.1, -8.1, -7.6, -7.4, -7.0, -7.0, -6.7, -6.4, -6.4 (then I gave up).

I've never seen a watch do this before... what does this mean????