The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2019, 11:41 AM   #1
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
1803 ? Wg vs yg

Given condition is equal, what is a fair premium to add for WG over YG ? I understand that the WG is more rare but is it's value 20% more or there about's ? I also understand that some may not like or even want the WG but in my search the WG brings a much higher price tag. So what's fair or common ?

Thanks Chris
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Interesting. I would NOT value white gold higher than yellow.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 11:53 AM   #3
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
hmmm depending on the dial combo, some rare WG models fetch a pretty penny. Id say alot of people do buy YG 1803's so its kind of a juxtaposition to ask more for WG.

But I think the WG buyers know what are looking for and are willing to pay up for a WG 1803.

Id say the YG buyer could be anyone looking for a gold Rolex and might not be watch person.

Honestly if you find a really nice WG 1803 and the dial you like, just buy it.

20k on chrono24 for this purple 1803.......crazy!!!
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:21 AM   #4
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

20K ouch ! I have been considering YG 1803's on a band or head only ranging from 5-6 K and have found similar WG in the 7.5-9 K range. I would think the YG to be more popular making the WG less desirable therefore the value to be the same or less. Guess I was wrong.
Chris
Old 21 July 2019, 01:13 AM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
20K ouch ! I have been considering YG 1803's on a band or head only ranging from 5-6 K and have found similar WG in the 7.5-9 K range. I would think the YG to be more popular making the WG less desirable therefore the value to be the same or less. Guess I was wrong.
Chris
WG prices are higher, especially with a decent bracelet. The white gold is much more under the radar, and probably more popular with WIS types than with buyers who just want to wear a gold watch.

I was looking for a YG 1803, but in the process I came across this and had to have it. It's definitely more stealthy than the YG, and thus deserves a premium in my book. Prices haven't gone up like those of vintage Subs, but I can't see anybody taking a bath on one of these.

It also makes me smile every time I look at it, which is kind of priceless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64674162_418066992112247_7525355233311680653_n.jpg (197.4 KB, 413 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 04:00 AM   #6
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Sweet, is there a name for that dial with minute numbers ?
Old 21 July 2019, 06:50 AM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
Sweet, is there a name for that dial with minute numbers ?
It's a minute-track dial.
Old 21 July 2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Fat Lady
An 1803 or 18039 in WG is at the top of my list. I am a huge fan of vintage Datejust. And last year I picked 18038 YG DayDate with the bark finish. It’s great as a casual wear on a leather strap or dress it up with the gold bracelet. I also find the gold bark bezel is more subtle than the fluted bezel. So it works great as a casual watch. But I’d love to have a WG DayDate with fluted bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waterproofpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:37 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Nice piece. Price has risen the last few years and still rising imho

Old 21 July 2019, 10:02 AM   #10
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Waterproofpt " But I’d love to have a WG DayDate with fluted bezel " Likewise, I think the WG with a really nice sharp edge fluted bezel is striking ! That's what draws it to me.
Old 29 July 2019, 09:49 AM   #11
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Wg less made.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 02:26 AM   #12
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus66 View Post
Wg less made.
That's a good point. Bottom line for me is, I can find 8-10 YG Heads only or with a strap for 5-6 K and only 3 from 7500-8000, putting preference aside { because I would like to have WG } are they or will they be worth 1500-2000 higher ? Personally I can't justify it.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks Chris
Old 30 July 2019, 10:40 PM   #13
PVR
"TRF" Member

WG are far more rare, like one in 25 rare. Rose gold is like one in 50 rare. Yellow Gold Presidents are as common as steel GMT's, but an 1803 in white or rose is special and commands a 30-50% premium over yellow.

In addition, yellow gold watches have always been considered a bit gaudy in comparison to the more understated other metals. Brands like Patek with models in Yellow always trade at a discount over the white, rose and platinum versions of the same watch.

This isn't something new.
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 11:09 PM   #14
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you I didn't know they were that rare, that explains why I only find 1 WG for every 10 YG.
Old 31 July 2019, 12:03 AM   #15
mineral
"TRF" Member

Definitely the WG for its rarity. Should consider the 1803 with its original president bracelet whenever possible. They are quite challenging to find especially with bracelet or box and paper. Definitely worth the premium if you can find one.

Old 31 July 2019, 12:14 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The WG version is not only more rare, but it's more appealing to guys who want the feel and weight of gold, but don't want the flashiness of yellow gold.

They look so different on the wrist, it's like asking do you want a silver or black dial. It's a personal preference based on aesthetics, money considerations aside.

I'm sad I sold mine a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 Wristshot.jpg (261.2 KB, 241 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 12:32 AM   #17
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The WG version is not only more rare, but it's more appealing to guys who want the feel and weight of gold, but don't want the flashiness of yellow gold.

They look so different on the wrist, it's like asking do you want a silver or black dial. It's a personal preference based on aesthetics, money considerations aside.

I'm sad I sold mine a couple of years ago.

Difficult not to love the hand sets on this one. Not always see this hand design on day date. Hope you find one back soon in near future :)

Old 31 July 2019, 01:03 AM   #18
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Interesting. I would NOT value white gold higher than yellow.
+1

I would think YG would he higher because old WG would look and feel like SS
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 03:14 AM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rolex1 View Post
+1

I would think YG would he higher because old WG would look and feel like SS
It doesn't look or feel the same. The WG is much heavier than SS, and has a different glow. A subtle difference, but if you see WG and SS side by side it's very clear.
Old 1 August 2019, 09:53 PM   #20
PVR
"TRF" Member

FYI: HQ Milton listed a double punched full set WG 1803 last night. It might be the nicest and most complete one I have ever seen. They also listed a very nice Rose Gold 1803, no papers that is priced 30% less, but it has some bracelet stretch, minor dial damage and no B&P. It isnt perfect, but it is still very nice and the bracelet could be tightened for some $$

Compared to a perfect 1803 Yellow, the "less than perfect" RG version is still priced about 40% more than Yellow. This goes to show the premium of the Rose over all others.

The WG 1803 happens to be museum quality perfect, so if you are in the market for a WG and you have the $$$ this may be the one.

Here are the links for anyone interested:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ver-dial-A2305

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...e-papers-A2482

And a Yellow just for comparison that has already been sold.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ate-1803-A2463
Old 2 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #21
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Dang those are pricey, they will be interesting to watch. My budget allows for one one on a strap or head only. All the input here gives me comfort in paying more for WG. I thought the rose color didn't start till the 5 digit's, they also seem flasher than the YG.

Chris
Old 2 August 2019, 01:01 PM   #22
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
If you think any of those are “Museum quality perfect,” you are delusional. All have been heavily polished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
FYI: HQ Milton listed a double punched full set WG 1803 last night. It might be the nicest and most complete one I have ever seen. They also listed a very nice Rose Gold 1803, no papers that is priced 30% less, but it has some bracelet stretch, minor dial damage and no B&P. It isnt perfect, but it is still very nice and the bracelet could be tightened for some $$

Compared to a perfect 1803 Yellow, the "less than perfect" RG version is still priced about 40% more than Yellow. This goes to show the premium of the Rose over all others.

The WG 1803 happens to be museum quality perfect, so if you are in the market for a WG and you have the $$$ this may be the one.

Here are the links for anyone interested:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ver-dial-A2305

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...e-papers-A2482

And a Yellow just for comparison that has already been sold.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ate-1803-A2463
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 01:51 PM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
If you think any of those are “Museum quality perfect,” you are delusional. All have been heavily polished.
I actually think the WG version looks to have a strong case. Polished, yes, but looks pretty good. The other two, yes, thin lugs.

I find it interesting that the WG version is listed as having a "silver" dial. That looks like a white dial, which is quite different, although I suppose it could be the lighting. The white has a matte quality to it, unlike the silver that has an iridescence, like my (former) 1803 posted above.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 10:59 PM   #24
PVR
"TRF" Member

Submarine: I was speaking only of the white gold 1803, I think I was pretty clear in my post and I haven't edited it.

SO, could you please take a few minutes and find me a more perfect, more complete full set or better bracelet version of a white 1803 anywhere on the internet, ebay, random photos, auction results..anywhere.

Since you feel I am delusional in thinking this is museum quality and one of the nicest I have ever seen, I would like you to please take a few minutes and post a link to one that is better or one that even is more complete in its ephemera than this one. Thanks.

The Rose is far less perfect as I stated with dial damage and bracelet stretch.
Old 3 August 2019, 02:16 AM   #25
SubMarine
Banned

All 3 examples you gave, including the WG are extremely polished. Interesting how highly you value the ephemera. Apparently, you value papers and plastic trinkets over the integrity of the watch’s metal.

Quote:
Submarine: I was speaking only of the white gold 1803, I think I was pretty clear in my post and I haven't edited it.

SO, could you please take a few minutes and find me a more perfect, more complete full set or better bracelet version of a white 1803 anywhere on the internet, ebay, random photos, auction results..anywhere.

Since you feel I am delusional in thinking this is museum quality and one of the nicest I have ever seen, I would like you to please take a few minutes and post a link to one that is better or one that even is more complete in its ephemera than this one. Thanks.

The Rose is far less perfect as I stated with dial damage and bracelet stretch.
Old 3 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #26
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I agree, all 3 examples have definitely been polished before and most likely a few times.
Old 3 August 2019, 08:41 AM   #27
PVR
"TRF" Member

I will repeat myself for the third time..

ONLY the WG 1803 I felt was the nicest and most complete White Gold 1803 I have ever seen. I am asking you to please post a link to a listing, a photo or completed Auction anywhere in the world that shows a WHITE GOLD 1803 that is more complete in its ephemera or better over all watch/dial/hands/plots/bracelet.

As far as valuing trinkets, I dont make the rules when it comes to B&P and Ephemera value. Watches with B&P command a higher resale over the identical watch 100% of the time and this has been the case for as long as I have been a collector, over 25 years.

I dont value papers over the condition of the watch. I am stating that that watch is a fantastic example in and of itself. Add all of the ephemera and it is a museum quality example of a White Gold 1803 from that era.

Last time I will explain myself. If you cannot understand what I am writing or provide a better example then I have made my point.
Old 3 August 2019, 09:48 AM   #28
SubMarine
Banned

Lol. No, I won’t do your homework for you. If you want to see a nicer example, dig it up yourself on TRF. Tons of members have unpolished WG 1803 examples.

If you are awestruck by papers and plastic trinkets, good for you. Simply know that they don’t have any effect on a large swath of vintage collectors like myself that value unpolished pieces above all else.

Quote:
I will repeat myself for the third time..

ONLY the WG 1803 I felt was the nicest and most complete White Gold 1803 I have ever seen. I am asking you to please post a link to a listing, a photo or completed Auction anywhere in the world that shows a WHITE GOLD 1803 that is more complete in its ephemera or better over all watch/dial/hands/plots/bracelet.

As far as valuing trinkets, I dont make the rules when it comes to B&P and Ephemera value. Watches with B&P command a higher resale over the identical watch 100% of the time and this has been the case for as long as I have been a collector, over 25 years.

I dont value papers over the condition of the watch. I am stating that that watch is a fantastic example in and of itself. Add all of the ephemera and it is a museum quality example of a White Gold 1803 from that era.

Last time I will explain myself. If you cannot understand what I am writing or provide a better example then I have made my point.