The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 10:03 PM   #1
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
For what reason did the POLAR dial been introduced

For what reason did Rolex introduced the POLAR dial to explorer 2 watches? Anyone knows this? Was just wondering
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 10:45 PM   #2
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
More legible than the black dial.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 11:01 PM   #3
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
More legible than the black dial.
Was that the main reason? I havent found any historical information about it yet:( But indeed, it is extremely legible lol..
Old 11 November 2018, 01:48 AM   #4
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

More options for the consumer and Rolex could release a 'new' model without having to really change any of their production or tooling ??
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 02:07 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
For what reason did Rolex introduced the POLAR dial to explorer 2 watches? Anyone knows this? Was just wondering
A white dial is just that a brass disc covered in white paint, and just a colour white that you will find on most all watch brands past and present today. And the colour white has no significance to the explorer or any white dial watch its just a colour..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 02:41 AM   #6
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
A white dial is just that a brass disc covered in white paint, and just a colour white that you will find on most all watch brands past and present today. And the colour white has no significance to the explorer or any white dial watch its just a colour..
I have been trying to figure out where you are from, can narrow out the US, we spell it color:-)
Old 11 November 2018, 02:56 AM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
I have been trying to figure out where you are from, can narrow out the US, we spell it color:-)
It clearly says he is from.. Location: Llanfairpwllgwyng.. Which is Welsh, so that is Wales, that's UK and we speak English.. and the correct way to spell colour is colour. We here in the UK invented the language, it is even named after our fellow countrymen (the English people in England)) so we should know! I have no idea why you guys in the US spell it color, but I image simply because you find it easier to spell.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 03:36 AM   #8
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
It clearly says he is from.. Location: Llanfairpwllgwyng.. Which is Welsh, so that is Wales, that's UK and we speak English.. and the correct way to spell colour is colour. We here in the UK invented the language, it is even named after our fellow countrymen (the English people in England)) so we should know! I have no idea why you guys in the US spell it color, but I image simply because you find it easier to spell.
Ho ho ho no patriotism here! The only right language is American and you spell it like Amewican.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:37 AM   #9
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Why do car companies come out with new color variations every model year?
jlovda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
We here in the UK invented the language, it is even named after our fellow countrymen (the English people in England)) so we should know!
Are you sure about that? I believe history would disagree. Up to the 5th century Celtic dialects were the predominant language in the "UK". It wasn't until Anglo-Saxon immigrants arrived speaking a Germanic language which became known as Old English. So it would appear that the English language originated from Germany, Denmark & the Netherlands. Outside of the "UK".

Quote:
I have no idea why you guys in the US spell it color, but I image simply because you find it easier to spell.
A little bit of a condescending shot don't you think. Nobody's calling you out on your spelling of "imagine".

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:48 AM   #11
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Why do car companies come out with new color variations every model year?
True, but Rolex seems to do a lot of stuff ''with'' a reason rather than random i saw a video that claimed it was to honor the climb of mt everest or so, but i couldn't believe that story as i havent found any information anywhere however it seems that there is not reason in particular why they did so… By the way, i hope you all enjoy my spelling
Old 11 November 2018, 04:57 AM   #12
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s more efficient our way
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 05:03 AM   #13
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I was told the white dial, black hands were designed to see better in the snow. I have no idea if there is any substance to such
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 05:16 AM   #14
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
True, but Rolex seems to do a lot of stuff ''with'' a reason rather than random i saw a video that claimed it was to honor the climb of mt everest or so, but i couldn't believe that story as i havent found any information anywhere however it seems that there is not reason in particular why they did so… By the way, i hope you all enjoy my spelling
After the watch designers come up with a new design that the executives approve, it goes to the Marketing Dept. whose job it is to weave a good story. There are probably enough golfers, tennis players and race car drivers to fit a watch into.
jlovda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 05:27 AM   #15
slate1234
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 LN
Because they can , I just wish I could get a white face for the GMT make it much easier to see with my eyes.
slate1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 05:42 AM   #16
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Well i must admit that the design makes sense, if i wear my sub while driving an car it is much more difficult to quick check timee than when i wear my explorer 2 … you can read that machine from 3 miles away. I think the explorer 2 white might be one of the most legible watches ever made so…
Old 11 November 2018, 06:32 AM   #17
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
Well i must admit that the design makes sense, if i wear my sub while driving an car it is much more difficult to quick check timee than when i wear my explorer 2 … you can read that machine from 3 miles away. I think the explorer 2 white might be one of the most legible watches ever made so…

Interesting... I just look at the clock that came with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 07:23 AM   #18
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman08 View Post
Interesting... I just look at the clock that came with the car.

In my case this clock in car has a bug i think it is Always 1:13/15/16 or so minutes ahead anyway…. i never need to check time but in case off maybe putt the clock right once, or not.. will see.. ...
Old 11 November 2018, 07:43 AM   #19
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I kind of thought it was a nod towards those people that explore surrounded by snow

But who knows!?

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 07:50 AM   #20
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Are you sure about that? I believe history would disagree. Up to the 5th century Celtic dialects were the predominant language in the "UK". It wasn't until Anglo-Saxon immigrants arrived speaking a Germanic language which became known as Old English. So it would appear that the English language originated from Germany, Denmark & the Netherlands. Outside of the "UK".

A little bit of a condescending shot don't you think. Nobody's calling you out on your spelling of "imagine".
lol, no one does snark better than the Brits. :) Watching Haywood Milton rip open a transgressor is a beautiful thing.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 08:34 AM   #21
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post

..that was a typo.. imagine is correct. ..and as far as I know, English was first spoken in England (and it was so good, that it spread outward - we even speak it in Scotland) so if it was Germanic, they didn't start speaking it until they got here!

You folks got a lot wrong you know: Color is colour.. the back of a car is called the boot not a trunk - an elephant has a trunk, there is no similarity.. the front of a car is called the bonnet not the hood - a hood is attached to the back of your anorak (that's the jacket you wear in the rain). It's a car park, not a parking lot - wtf is a parking lot anyway? You park your car, it's a 'car park' ffs.. then you drive on the wrong side of the road too.. and a Fender is a guitar (and they are very good too)... and this is just driving related - there are a million and one other subjects..

Only messing with you guys, you know I love the Polar Explorer.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote