The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #1
taus
"TRF" Member

3035 hair spring change

Hi,

I own a 36 mm Date Just Reference 16018 with Caliber 3035. I am taking the watch to the Rolex service center for complete service.

I want the present hairspring to be switched with the parachrom bleu hairspring or to some more anti magnetic hairspring. I heard that the 3035 hair spring can get magnetized easily.

I think the caliber 3135 uses the parachrom hair spring and 3035 is based on 3135.

My questions are as follows

1) What kind of hair spring does 3035 has? Is it anti magnetic? Who manufactured it?
2) Can Rolex switch the hair spring to bleu parachrom or to some other more antimagnetic hair spring?
3) What should I tell Rolex service to do about the hair spring?

Please let me know. Thanks
taus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 08:55 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You can tell Rolex anything you like about the hairspring, but odds are pretty good they will only replace with original parts which would have been put on the movement when it was made. This would be the case unless, Rolex has made an exception on hairsprings and only replaces with the new type on all movements. Rolex never retrofits anything with improved parts.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 10:09 AM   #3
taus
"TRF" Member

Thanks for you reply! What kind of hair spring does 3035 has? Is it anti magnetic? Who manufactured it?
Old 26 March 2023, 10:10 AM   #4
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taus View Post
Thanks for you reply! What kind of hair spring does 3035 has? Is it anti magnetic? Who manufactured it?

Google is your friend. Do a little research.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 10:17 AM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No harm in asking the RSC but usually they stick to how the watch was delivered unless it was an official upgrade to change the old type for new.

Us ordinary mortals have very little say in what Rolex does or not does when they service a watch.
Old 26 March 2023, 10:29 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The 3035 uses an FAR Nivarox hairspring. It is antimagnetic too.

When Rolex advertised their Parachrom and shows video comparing to a "regular" hair spring, they are not using the top level Nivarox hairsprings used on other Rolex models.
Old 26 March 2023, 01:59 PM   #7
taus
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Did Rolex release the References 16018 with a leather strap and a gold buckle? Please let me know. Thanks
Old 26 March 2023, 06:17 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi,

I own a 36 mm Date Just Reference 16018 with Caliber 3035. I am taking the watch to the Rolex service center for complete service.

I want the present hairspring to be switched with the parachrom bleu hairspring or to some more anti magnetic hairspring. I heard that the 3035 hair spring can get magnetized easily.

I think the caliber 3135 uses the parachrom hair spring and 3035 is based on 3135.

My questions are as follows

1) What kind of hair spring does 3035 has? Is it anti magnetic? Who manufactured it?
2) Can Rolex switch the hair spring to bleu parachrom or to some other more antimagnetic hair spring?
3) What should I tell Rolex service to do about the hair spring?

Please let me know. Thanks
While in the Rolex video it states the Parachrom is 10 time more shockproof, but what they dont state is to what.Most certainly not the Nivarox ones that they and most of the watch industry have used for the past 50 odd years.And with magnetic test where they hold a powerful magnet over a open case on a watch.So if you dont wear your watch dial down with the case back off with a powerful magnet near any hairspring.Then I would doubt in the real world that it would make little or no difference whatever the name of hairspring in the case.

Now Nivarox thats the name of the alloy much like Rolex calls there Parachrom.Today it is used mainly in the watch/clock industry, but also in other micro-machine industries and in certain types of medical equipment and high precision surgical instruments. There are several variations of the Nivarox alloy depending upon the intended application. These alloys are stainless steel alloys with high concentrations of Cobalt (42-48%), Nickel (15-25%) and Chromium (16-22%). There are also small amounts of titanium and beryllium. Hairsprings made of this alloy are highly wear-resistant,and they are practically non-magnetic in normal wearing,and non-rusting and possess a low coefficient of thermal expansion.

Nivarox 1 through 5 is a series of grades of hairsprings with number 1 being the best quality. The most commonly encountered Nivarox hairsprings in the watch industry are grades 1 to 3. The alloy is unaffected by heat and normal every day ordinary magnetic fields. There is however, also the Anachron hairspring which is said to be of even higher quality than the Nivarox No 1 grade.Who knows perhaps that the grade that Rolex used over the past 40 odd years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 01:20 PM   #9
taus
"TRF" Member

I found the following video on youtube regarding hair spring magnetism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3lEiFUmVM