The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 January 2023, 08:57 PM   #1
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

GRAND SEIKO: 9S65 vs. 9R65 Movement Quality?

All

I am looking into potentially purchasing a Grand Seiko, with plans to visit their Miami boutique next week... Budget is around $6K

With a smaller wrist 6.5"...I desire a more compact case size, diameter and lug to lug. Would love to get a 39mm case w/ 45mm lug to lug. Seems the 9S options fit offer more of a selection. l

But...the 9S (9S65) movement appears to be hit or miss with quality / accuracy vs. the 9R (9R65). What are your thoughts?

The fallback plan is to simply to quartz...with the 9F.

Thanks you in advance to any Grand Seiko experts for your thoughts / feedback!

Dave
oak3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:55 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Both my modern GS are 9F quartz, and likely any more I get will be, too. I really appreciate the fact they're always dead on and only off by seconds when they stop every three years for battery replacement and pressure testing.

I have owned several vintage quartz Seikos from the 1970s, too (mainly Grand Quartz, King Quartz, Superior) and all were still keeping great time and running strong, so I have no worries about future performance. Having said that, I really like vintage GS and KS mechanicals, as well, and have owned many.
Old 3 February 2023, 10:30 PM   #3
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for your insight and experience! The 9F are amazing with accuracy, and a direction I may go in. Planning to visit the Grand Seiko store tomorrow.
Old 4 February 2023, 12:40 AM   #4
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

To add icing on the cake, you can buy a very good condition 9F for about US$1,300-1,500 from a TRF TS. That means you can have your GS, and still have money in the bank.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 10:09 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak3x View Post
Thank you for your insight and experience! The 9F are amazing with accuracy, and a direction I may go in. Planning to visit the Grand Seiko store tomorrow.
You're welcome. It's maybe also worth mentioning that the 9F pieces have exactly the same high level of fit and finish as the other GS watches, whatever the movement inside.

Here's a thread I started a couple of years ago recording the accuracy of 9f and vintage Seiko quartz movements: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=791591
Old 4 February 2023, 03:24 PM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
The quartz movements in the GS lineup are unlike any quartz movements you will find in this level of watches, they are a cut above in terms of design, durability and accuracy.

That said, the 9S65 mechanical movement is first rate in every way; not sure where you’ve heard it’s hit or miss as respects quality, but it is a tried and true, reliable and durable movement.

Unless your comparing them to Spring Drives, the best quartz movements are going to be more accurate than a mechanical movement, but that’s not necessarily the point in this class of watch.
Old 5 February 2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Sumo
"TRF" Member

Go with the 9R65 no question. I have it and the smooth second hand and the spot on accuracy with 72 hour power reserve is the cats meow. Best movement by far. Love Grand Seiko.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:48 AM   #8
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

Visited the Miami Grand Seiko Boutique on Saturday, and left with a SBGX263. The dial is amazing... Referenced as champagne by Grand Seiko...in actuality appears as silver in direct sunlight. Indoors...the slight gold undertone comes out. It is in no way a traditional champagne.

Walking into the store my first choice was to purchase a Spring Drive (9R) While they are beautiful, the challenge was finding one in a smaller case diameter, including lug to lug. Most Grand Seiko Spring Drives at 40mm case diameter and 47mm lug to lug. On my smaller sized wrists, they just looked too large.

The SBGX263 measures 37mm case diameter, with 44.6mm lug to lug. Movement is 9F62

Fits perfectly, and very comfortable
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Grand Seiko 2.jpeg (177.7 KB, 209 views)
Old 7 February 2023, 08:20 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Very nice, congratulations. Those champagne/silver sunburst dials are very nice, and also look a flatter white in some settings, too, I find.
Old 9 February 2023, 12:50 AM   #10
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations on a great choice Bought the exact model 3 months ago from a TS at TRF, loving it every minute. It is always on exact time(www.time.gov), no winding, no risk of being rob in big cities
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 12:41 AM   #11
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Congrats! 9F is fantastic. I’ve become spoiled with only having to touch the crown to switch daylight savings time or swap a battery.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote