The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 March 2023, 06:18 AM   #1
tedo
"TRF" Member

Which Blancpain Bathyscaphe?

Thoughts on these, that have captured my attention. Or another Bathyscaphe model I should consider?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C59CAC0-362F-4280-89CB-1B30CC01E8D4.jpeg (102.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpeg 44E30FF7-363F-4944-971D-DEDDE444C476.jpeg (115.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpeg 6F14BD7C-767E-4A5B-9F27-D7668A754347.jpeg (79.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 26 March 2023, 06:32 AM   #2
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

I love the Hodinkee Bathy but never had a chance to try the smaller case on wrist. If it suits you, that would be a great choice and very different vibe from others you might see around.

The “standard” Bathyscaphe in 43mm is a fantastic piece. I kinda regret selling mine and may try to reacquire one at some point. Amazing piece and that dial is mesmerizing. I haven’t seen the Ti model yet in person but it looks lovely in pics.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 07:12 AM   #3
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
I love the Hodinkee Bathy but never had a chance to try the smaller case on wrist. If it suits you, that would be a great choice and very different vibe from others you might see around.

The “standard” Bathyscaphe in 43mm is a fantastic piece. I kinda regret selling mine and may try to reacquire one at some point. Amazing piece and that dial is mesmerizing. I haven’t seen the Ti model yet in person but it looks lovely in pics.
Thanks, yes my only concern with the Hodinkee model is the smaller size, and I know even the larger 43mm wears smaller. What do you think of the Quantieme Annuel model?
Old 26 March 2023, 07:29 AM   #4
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Thanks, yes my only concern with the Hodinkee model is the smaller size, and I know even the larger 43mm wears smaller. What do you think of the Quantieme Annuel model?

FWIW: I passed on a 40mm FF Barakuda several years ago because I felt it was too small on my wrist. These toolish Blancpains wear better in a large size IMHO.

As for the Quantieme Annuel … it’s not for me. Aside from the Flyback Chrono (which is an amazing chronograph execution) I’m not a fan of the added complications on this particular platform. I’m likely the odd man out as I know a lot of collectors dig them, but I find they take away from the aesthetic that brought me to the platform in the first place.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

I was shopping a 38mm Bathy for the longest time but after trying it on felt it was just too small (especially with the different proportions) for a dive watch. Ultimately went with the 43mm in Steel. Ultimately feels a tad large in my 6.5” wrist but it’s the only drawback from what would otherwise be an ultimate daily driver luxury dive watch.
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 06:01 AM   #6
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I'd try and find the blue dialed, ceramic cased version, if possible on the original Nato that came with ceramic fittings, over the newer all fabric Nato.
The grey ceramic has a sheen somewhere between steel and titanium, with little risk of scratches or dings distracting from the beautiful directional brushing of the case.
Jomashop had this version in stock, and there is a nice used example ( no relation ) for sale on one of the popular forums...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/blancpa...ceramic-watch/
Old 27 March 2023, 06:13 AM   #7
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I'd try and find the blue dialed, ceramic cased version, if possible on the original Nato that came with ceramic fittings, over the newer all fabric Nato.
The grey ceramic has a sheen somewhere between steel and titanium, with little risk of scratches or dings distracting from the beautiful directional brushing of the case.
Jomashop had this version in stock, and there is a nice used example ( no relation ) for sale on one of the popular forums...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/blancpa...ceramic-watch/
Thanks, I thought this blue one looked interesting:

https://blancpainblog.com/news/hands...e-edition/amp/
Old 27 March 2023, 06:44 AM   #8
Aferrariguy
"TRF" Member

The hodinkee one is sick. I like this one also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aferrariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 10:19 AM   #9
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Thanks, I thought this blue one looked interesting:

https://blancpainblog.com/news/hands...e-edition/amp/
It's very attractive, especially the 2 level dial- I believe DavidSW has one of those for sale.
Old 27 March 2023, 11:03 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I love the blue dial, 40mm size and the good cause of the BOC III.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blancpain_FiftyFathoms_BOCIII_front_1000.jpg (219.9 KB, 179 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 12:15 PM   #11
ricky64
"TRF" Member

I am considering a Bathy as a weekend watch. I'm not interested in a full calendar, but I like a date. I have a flattish 6 3/4 inch wrist, and the 43mm bathy fit well. I tried on the black ceramic; it was gorgeous. Almost too pretty to be a rough and tumble weekend watch.
ricky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2023, 06:11 AM   #12
cjs
"TRF" Member

Going for the ceramic chrono bathtub myself! Incoming soon. Resized_20230421_112630.jpg
Can’t wait.

cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 11:36 AM   #13
Aferrariguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs View Post
Going for the ceramic chrono bathtub myself! Incoming soon. Attachment 1362127
Can’t wait.

Congrats