The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 22 April 2022, 10:49 PM   #1
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
Rolex Seadweller 43 - 126600

Seadweller 43 - A Review

On The Wrist

By redesigning the case giving more curvature to the lugs and shortening them it made the watch more wearable on a smaller wrist whilst still satisfying those of us with a 7.25€ larger wrist. Previous variants including the discontinued 116600 were a little unbalanced at 40mm and 15mm thickness creating a little wobble similar to those suffered by The PAM 243 etc. Whilst 43mm might initially put some owners off it makes the most of its extra 3mm and does wear proportionally better than one would expect and has more comfort and balance whilst at the same time offering a clear difference from The Submariner or SD4K in that its appearance, size and weight.

Dial

That extra 3mm adds some life in the dial, it creates space between markers and makes checking the time both day and night easier, its luminance at night seems more enhanced and bright, but perhaps the most unique and adorable feature has to be Single Red €˜SEA-DWELLER€™ written on the dial, its been 50+ years since the Sea-dweller landed and its so right to see this true 50th Anniversary model celebrate that with the much coveted Red Writing. Who ever made that decision in 1967 was a genius or extremely lucky and whoever made it in 2017 knew exactly what they were doing with this modern classic.

As with all things Rolex there can be some quirks and the True 50th Mk1 Dials on the initial 2017 release had just €˜Swiss Made€™ marking before the Rolex Coronet was added between the words in 2018. Possibly intentional to mark out the first release in the anniversary year or possibly a dial manufacturer mistake / change but regardless it will be a future quirk as with APH, Spider Dials, Flat 4s et all.

The One Eyed Monster

So on to that Cyclops. !!! Oh how the internet roared when the cyclops was revealed as a feature. A cyclops on a Sea-dweller ! Surely not, its the only watch without one and you can€™t have a cyclops on a SD because it will pop off at depth wont it!!! Well whilst Rolex are tight lipped about this they are also quietly confident so lets assume it delivers and lets also assume they felt that whilst the DNA was not pure the reality is that it does a really good job of magnifying the date and given most people will never descend to the depths of the ocean but will be glancing at it daily it was the right thing to do in perfecting this models fit, form, and function. I personally think its the right thing to have on there. (If it was not Id have the chisel out and lop it off)

Bracelet

Oyster - The best all rounder, strong, comfortable and easily adjustable with the Fliplock divers extension allowing for an extra 26mm, perfect for actual divers or the nervous screwdriver user. But the icing on the cake is the Glidelock system, which allows you to make 2mm adjustments up to 20mm, an absolute blessing in the heat or cold for on the fly comfort. All of this finished with the assurance of Rolex Oysterlock safety clasp offering all you need in security. (The eagle eyed may notice the absence of the divers extension link in the above picture, which is a feature on the watch that I have removed as I have no need for it and it enhances comfort further)

Movement

I wont pretend to ever fully understand a movement but think we can agree that the 3235 is an improvement over the previous fantastic 3135, new barrel, escapement, gear train, bridges, rotor, and winding mechanism adding 15% efficiency to the escapement which in turn gained half the new 70 hour power reserve. All round its more stable, has less friction, wear and power consumption and retains the blue parachrom hairspring to resist magnetic fields. Superlative as ever to 2-3 seconds either way and backed up with a confident 5 year warranty. It is never hard to reset and wind a watch and indeed its often a pleasure to have a fiddle but leaving it 3 days rather than 2 can be handy.

Conclusion

Another belter, it wont be everyone cup of tea and many will whine about the size and cyclops as easy targets but the reality of ownership is that it wears well even on a smaller wrist, it has balance, it is iconic and it has a cyclops which you can easily remove (just go deep diving and see what happens) or live with it as a feature that is so useful in the modern world and environment it will be used in. I have always loved a SD and this ones is no different, on release I was critical, an ill informed assessment based on history and looks but over time (as we most things Rolex) it has proved itself as an absolute belter. Red On!

And a perfect crown alignment! Lucky !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2022, 11:34 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great review

I recently re-acquired mine and have really been enjoying wearing it again
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 01:34 AM   #3
MattGMT
"TRF" Member

Such a great watch!
MattGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 07:14 AM   #4
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

One of rolex best models, you're lucky to have the MK1.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 05:30 AM   #5
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

The only Rolex I have left in my collection, and I have to make it a point to wear other watches, its my favorite watch.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 03:55 PM   #6
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Certainly gone under the radar for so many. I also read the internet and was influenced by the 'cyclops' and 'size' comments but on actually wearing one realised its the absolute perfect professional sports. If any watch is worth double retail then this is it.
Old 29 April 2022, 12:25 AM   #7
spurwar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 79220N
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
Certainly gone under the radar for so many. I also read the internet and was influenced by the 'cyclops' and 'size' comments but on actually wearing one realised its the absolute perfect professional sports. If any watch is worth double retail then this is it.
Agree with this! So much is said about the size but it wears very well and I absolutely love mine. I kind of like it being under the radar though!
spurwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 04:31 PM   #8
carl123
"TRF" Member

Very very expensive

Ha!
Only because this was my first Rolex and 50 th anniversary on my 50th birthday.
However it really gave me the Rolex bug and have been collecting since, I have some real beauties now in my collection but if for any reason I had to "thin" the collection despite being one of the most inexpensive, it's here forever.
And just seeing this review reminded me how fabulous a watch it is.
Thank you..
carl123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 10:01 AM   #9
Time Out
Banned

I love the SD43. It was my first Rolex and one of the least produced in the lineup. The heft and shine of the ceramic bezel are truly a treat when wearing it.
Time Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 02:42 PM   #10
Sophiamaya
Banned

Hello Everyone
Sophiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:41 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch. I do like the red text.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 11:52 AM   #12
bcr1
"TRF" Member

Got my SD43 TT one month ago and I love it.

Cheers everyone:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compress_20220528_131943_3287.jpg (273.7 KB, 1300 views)
bcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2022, 09:48 PM   #13
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great review. Thanks.
Old 31 May 2022, 07:23 AM   #14
Belinus
"TRF" Member

I love the watch. Been waiting for one since October but nothing yet (though I have picked up a YM 40). I am worried slightly by the size on my 6.7 inch wrist but when Ive tried it on its always felt great.
Belinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2022, 10:15 PM   #15
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
It certainly does wear a little bigger than the 40mm sports versions and that takes some getting used to, but overall its a really great watch.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:42 PM   #16
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Very well done, and great watch- thanks OP!
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:45 AM   #17
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
Seadweller 43 - A Review

On The Wrist

By redesigning the case giving more curvature to the lugs and shortening them it made the watch more wearable on a smaller wrist whilst still satisfying those of us with a 7.25” larger wrist. Previous variants including the discontinued 116600 were a little unbalanced at 40mm and 15mm thickness creating a little wobble similar to those suffered by The PAM 243 etc. Whilst 43mm might initially put some owners off it makes the most of its extra 3mm and does wear proportionally better than one would expect and has more comfort and balance whilst at the same time offering a clear difference from The Submariner or SD4K in that its appearance, size and weight.

Dial

That extra 3mm adds some life in the dial, it creates space between markers and makes checking the time both day and night easier, its luminance at night seems more enhanced and bright, but perhaps the most unique and adorable feature has to be Single Red ‘SEA-DWELLER’ written on the dial, its been 50+ years since the Sea-dweller landed and its so right to see this true 50th Anniversary model celebrate that with the much coveted Red Writing. Who ever made that decision in 1967 was a genius or extremely lucky and whoever made it in 2017 knew exactly what they were doing with this modern classic.

As with all things Rolex there can be some quirks and the True 50th Mk1 Dials on the initial 2017 release had just ‘Swiss Made’ marking before the Rolex Coronet was added between the words in 2018. Possibly intentional to mark out the first release in the anniversary year or possibly a dial manufacturer mistake / change but regardless it will be a future quirk as with APH, Spider Dials, Flat 4s et all.

The One Eyed Monster

So on to that Cyclops. !!! Oh how the internet roared when the cyclops was revealed as a feature. A cyclops on a Sea-dweller ! Surely not, its the only watch without one and you can’t have a cyclops on a SD because it will pop off at depth wont it!!! Well whilst Rolex are tight lipped about this they are also quietly confident so lets assume it delivers and lets also assume they felt that whilst the DNA was not pure the reality is that it does a really good job of magnifying the date and given most people will never descend to the depths of the ocean but will be glancing at it daily it was the right thing to do in perfecting this models fit, form, and function. I personally think its the right thing to have on there. (If it was not Id have the chisel out and lop it off)

Bracelet

Oyster - The best all rounder, strong, comfortable and easily adjustable with the Fliplock divers extension allowing for an extra 26mm, perfect for actual divers or the nervous screwdriver user. But the icing on the cake is the Glidelock system, which allows you to make 2mm adjustments up to 20mm, an absolute blessing in the heat or cold for on the fly comfort. All of this finished with the assurance of Rolex Oysterlock safety clasp offering all you need in security. (The eagle eyed may notice the absence of the divers extension link in the above picture, which is a feature on the watch that I have removed as I have no need for it and it enhances comfort further)

Movement

I wont pretend to ever fully understand a movement but think we can agree that the 3235 is an improvement over the previous fantastic 3135, new barrel, escapement, gear train, bridges, rotor, and winding mechanism adding 15% efficiency to the escapement which in turn gained half the new 70 hour power reserve. All round its more stable, has less friction, wear and power consumption and retains the blue parachrom hairspring to resist magnetic fields. Superlative as ever to 2-3 seconds either way and backed up with a confident 5 year warranty. It is never hard to reset and wind a watch and indeed its often a pleasure to have a fiddle but leaving it 3 days rather than 2 can be handy.

Conclusion

Another belter, it wont be everyone cup of tea and many will whine about the size and cyclops as easy targets but the reality of ownership is that it wears well even on a smaller wrist, it has balance, it is iconic and it has a cyclops which you can easily remove (just go deep diving and see what happens) or live with it as a feature that is so useful in the modern world and environment it will be used in. I have always loved a SD and this ones is no different, on release I was critical, an ill informed assessment based on history and looks but over time (as we most things Rolex) it has proved itself as an absolute belter. Red On!

And a perfect crown alignment! Lucky !!

I own about 15 Rolexes,,, including a white dial daytona, da date 40 meteorite dial, others. The new sea dweller is my fav and I wear it the most. Have fun. Wear in good health.
MeepHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 11:20 AM   #18
xcr2000
"TRF" Member

Just got my SD43 today. 2nd Rolex, other being a GV milguass

xcr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 05:26 AM   #19
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your kind comments so far.
Old 14 August 2022, 05:16 AM   #20
Exracer1985
"TRF" Member

Just want to say thanks for your review of a 126600. I read it about two weeks ago and found it to be a real life description of the watch. I have been looking for a sub 41 or sd 43.

I had tried on a 41 new sub and 44 dssd within that time period to get a feel for the watch. I also have a 7.25 wrist and thought maybe it might be to large. Well the 44 dssd was just to big and wobbly. My wife said to big didnt look right on my wrist. The 41 sub was fine and fit my wrist fine. However it was on exhibition only so not for sale. Put my name on the list.

We visited another AD on whim and retried the sub 41. Than I asked if they had a sd 43 to compare. Expected a no. But, She said yes and its in the safe let me get it. I was shocked.
Tried it on and it felt and looked right. Than I asked how long to get one. She said its available right now.

Again shocked. I looked at my wife yikes what now. We werent ready to buy.
We went to lunch cobbled together a couple of credit cards and went back and bought a 126603.

The epilogue: the watch has been sized and fits even better and honestly I dont even know its on my wrist until I look for the time. Oh and the new lum lasts all night long. And my wife ordered a 36 date just. 😀Thanks again and hope this helps someone.
Exracer1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 09:53 AM   #21
FloydRedford
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Nice review, thanks for putting in the time to post it!
FloydRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2022, 10:54 AM   #22
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exracer1985 View Post
Just want to say thanks for your review of a 126600. I read it about two weeks ago and found it to be a real life description of the watch. I have been looking for a sub 41 or sd 43.

I had tried on a 41 new sub and 44 dssd within that time period to get a feel for the watch. I also have a 7.25 wrist and thought maybe it might be to large. Well the 44 dssd was just to big and wobbly. My wife said to big didnt look right on my wrist. The 41 sub was fine and fit my wrist fine. However it was on exhibition only so not for sale. Put my name on the list.

We visited another AD on whim and retried the sub 41. Than I asked if they had a sd 43 to compare. Expected a no. But, She said yes and its in the safe let me get it. I was shocked.
Tried it on and it felt and looked right. Than I asked how long to get one. She said its available right now.

Again shocked. I looked at my wife yikes what now. We werent ready to buy.
We went to lunch cobbled together a couple of credit cards and went back and bought a 126603.

The epilogue: the watch has been sized and fits even better and honestly I dont even know its on my wrist until I look for the time. Oh and the new lum lasts all night long. And my wife ordered a 36 date just. Thanks again and hope this helps someone.

Hot damn, congratulations! Its a fantastic watch.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 09:54 AM   #23
bcall
Banned

Great review! Thanks a lot!
bcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 04:37 PM   #24
cerbera
"TRF" Member

Great review, I’m just about to go and trade my 2015 submariner for this watch as long as it fits ok on my wrist. The original 2017 50th anniversary sea-dweller is the one I have been looking for and hopefully in a day or two I will be the owner of one.
cerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 05:53 PM   #25
MohiMedia
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26405CE
Love the SD43, and the red text is a nice subtle defining feature.
Columbia University Alum
MohiMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 06:53 AM   #26
QualityTimepieces
"TRF" Member

Great review!Thanks.
QualityTimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 01:28 PM   #27
luonggiawatch
"TRF" Member

A useful review that I was looking for, which helps me to have more knowledge for my future plans. Thanks
luonggiawatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 12:08 PM   #28
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I went to visit my local AD to check on a SS Sub Im on their list for. I tried on a SD 43 and its really nice, even on my 6.75 ( on a good day) wrist! He said its more available, and put me on that list as well. Im a little torn. The extra size makes it less dressy, but Im not often getting dressed up. Its is so nice though. Anyone wearing this as their daily? Dressed up too?
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 12:42 AM   #29
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdock View Post
I went to visit my local AD to check on a SS Sub I’m on their list for. I tried on a SD 43 and it’s really nice, even on my 6.75 ( on a good day) wrist! He said it’s more available, and put me on that list as well. I’m a little torn. The extra size makes it less dressy, but I’m not often getting dressed up. It’s is so nice though. Anyone wearing this as their daily? Dressed up too?
Yes, I've been wearing mine as a daily. This is my second time around with the SD43. The first time I found it a little big and heavy on my 6.75 inch wrist, but in retrospect it was because the bracelet wasn't sized properly. I removed the diver's and now keep it more snug. Because this is a bigger watch, the way it's sized and worn is even more important than smaller watches, especially on wrists 7 inches and under.

Loving it now and find it very comfortable. Great wrist presence. You get used to the heft. Just a lot more interesting and special compared to the Sub.

Side note: Don't get caught up in the MK1 or MK2 dial debate. Keep in mind that Rolex never called this a "50th anniversary" model. That's a made up Internet watch thing. So whether you bought the watch in 2017 or 2023 or in between is irrelevant, IMHO. And what about MK1 dials purchased in, say, 2018 or 2019? How are those considered 50th anniversary watches?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 09:45 PM   #30
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Does anyone know the weight of this SD43? I wear a Seamaster 42 which is 194g and love it. Just wondering how it might compare. I did try one on at the Boutique and have to say I love it even on my 6.7 wrist, but it wasn’t on long enough to compare the weight. Thanks.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote