The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2022, 07:38 PM   #61
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
I would suggest you to invest some time tracking down where that vacuum tube connects to. Might save you unnecessary headaches (CEL/MIL) down the road. (Ask me how I know )
Old 14 November 2022, 11:24 PM   #62
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
I would suggest you to invest some time tracking down where that vacuum tube connects to. Might save you unnecessary headaches (CEL/MIL) down the road. (Ask me how I know )
Sounds like sage advice, it runs up the transmission valley and appeared to go to the back of the intake somewhere, the fittings were dry rotted at both ends and it fell out when I dropped the engine so I was a little enamored. I didn't see it in any of my diagrams either.

Now that you mention it though, I do vaguely remember having some vacuum related CEL. Now to figure out where she goes
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 11:56 PM   #63
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
PCV system, secondary air pump, brake servo and crankcase vents / returns would be my first ports of call. Good luck!
Old 15 November 2022, 12:38 AM   #64
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Nice work! It'll definitely pay off and be more rewarding this way.

Back in the day I used to do minor things, especially on my E36 3-Series Coupe (328is). Also had an E90 3-Series I worked on a bit. Over the years I've accumulated the tools to do most jobs on any car, but don't find myself with the time to do this now. If it were absolutely necessary or urgent, I would. I'm also looking forward to one day having a project car which can be slowly worked on for fun.:

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 10:44 PM   #65
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I always say that if left to my own devices I would build a pole barn (with amenities) and simply park a camper inside to sleep in. Fill the rest of the space with a lift, workbench, hot rods and motorcycles. Plenty of warm space to hang out with my dog.
Do it, you WILL NOT regret it ! One of the best decisions I’ve ever made !

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=753660
Old 16 November 2022, 12:32 AM   #66
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
When I first got my 328GTS it had been in storage for about a decade. Lots of work to do. I can remember talking to techs at a few shops. One guy said, you have to ask yourself, do you want to drive your car/s or spend your free time working on them. Sure you can save some money, but after working say 40-60 hours a week, how much time can or will you dedicate to working on your car. Maybe it will be ready in a few weeks, a few months, but in most circumstances longer or they become project cars that people tinker with as the years go by. We can get everything done much quicker because its not our first time and it's what we do full time. I've also seen some major screw ups that grenaded engines from timing belts not being done correctly on interference engines.

If someone has fun wrenching that's cool. However, there's a value to having my free time to drive and do other things I enjoy with friends or family.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 12:54 AM   #67
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
When I first got my 328GTS it had been in storage for about a decade. Lots of work to do. I can remember talking to techs at a few shops. One guy said, you have to ask yourself, do you want to drive your car/s or spend your free time working on them. Sure you can save some money, but after working say 40-60 hours a week, how much time can or will you dedicate to working on your car. Maybe it will be ready in a few weeks, a few months, but in most circumstances longer or they become project cars that people tinker with as the years go by. We can get everything done much quicker because its not our first time and it's what we do full time. I've also seen some major screw ups that grenaded engines from timing belts not being done correctly on interference engines.

If someone has fun wrenching that's cool. However, there's a value to having my free time to drive and do other things I enjoy with friends or family.
We can make those arguments and decisions about many things we do from laundry to home repair to oil changes and shoe polishing. I do some things myself in order to save money but other things it really mostly comes down to enjoying it, knowing it's done right and the satisfaction/enjoyment of doing it. I think it's related to how we grow up as well.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 01:35 AM   #68
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
We can make those arguments and decisions about many things we do from laundry to home repair to oil changes and shoe polishing. I do some things myself in order to save money but other things it really mostly comes down to enjoying it, knowing it's done right and the satisfaction/enjoyment of doing it. I think it's related to how we grow up as well.

Sent using Tapatalk
It's always about choices - cost, time, and enjoyment. But there is no correct answer. If someone enjoys doing the work themselves that's what matters most.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 01:35 AM   #69
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Damn! *LIKE*
Quote:

Sent using Tapatalk
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 01:42 AM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ epic
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:10 AM   #71
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:

Sent using Tapatalk

Nice!! A quarter way through my lines would start getting a little off. By the end it would look like an abstract painting.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 05:48 AM   #72
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
^^^^^^ Kind of demands a starburst pattern.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:03 AM   #73
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sent using Tapatalk

Pro job right there. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 08:47 PM   #74
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
I have no desire or intensions to do my own repairs. i take my car to the dealer but sometimes i don't mind doing an oil change myself when i can
After getting snowed on mid project and forced to wait it out until the weather breaks next week, whilst working in borderline freezing Temps the rest of the time. I definitely understand the allure of dropping this off and avoiding the frustrations these projects create.

Fortunately/unfortunately I needed to order more parts, rear main seal isn't as sealed as it should be on my new block so that's coming out and being replaced too. Almost regretting not just having the original block rebuilt. Although I do have other plans for that one.
Old 17 November 2022, 08:48 PM   #75
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sent using Tapatalk

I ran a lawn crew for a few years and still couldn't nail lines like these
Old 18 November 2022, 01:50 AM   #76
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I ran a lawn crew for a few years and still couldn't nail lines like these
The secret is a rubber truck mudflap attached to the frame (not the deck) that bends the grass by sweeping over it just above ground level.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2022, 02:01 AM   #77
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Here's a other project any sane person would just write checks for and not spend a few years doing like I did (I did write a few checks, drywall and I don'tget along, had had help with the stud walls to speed things up, and the shower tile work was beyond my capabilities).

I will admit to enjoying answering when somebody asks what company does your lawn or who did you hire to finish your basement.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2022, 02:37 AM   #78
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's a other project any sane person would just write checks for and not spend a few years doing like I did (I did write a few checks, drywall and I don'tget along, had had help with the stud walls to speed things up, and the shower tile work was beyond my capabilities).

I will admit to enjoying answering when somebody asks what company does your lawn or who did you hire to finish your basement.

Sent using Tapatalk
That table looks phenomenal! I've recently got into shooting pool, I regrettably sold this vintage 6 point Joss west with sterling and ivory inlays, one of the few things in life I regret selling. but recently replaced it with this Meucci and have been enjoying getting acquainted/reacquainted with the sport.

I used to go to the local bowling alley with my best friend to shoot pool regularly until he moved and subsequently passed. We always talked about buying badass pool sticks, becoming sharks and hitting up the circuit. Part of me still wants to chase that dream for the both of us. But if nothing else, it definitely feels like he's with me when I have been practicing. The table the JW is on is the one we always shot at. Or tried to if it was open. I'm hoping to get a table of my own table eventually. Just don't have the space at the time. I wish there was a place to rent tables hourly close by. $2/game adds up quick, was something like $7/hr for a table when I was down in south carolina.
Old 18 November 2022, 02:49 AM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Pool was part of my misspent youth but I don't have the taste for bars much anymore except as a diversion when traveling for business. I've played in about a dozen different countries.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2022, 02:58 AM   #80
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pool was part of my misspent youth but I don't have the taste for bars much anymore except as a diversion when traveling for business. I've played in about a dozen different countries.

Sent using Tapatalk
Playing all over the world would be extremely fun, so far Greece and USA for me. Ever since I was an adult I've always seemed to find my way to pool halls/bars on my travels and never really noticed the trend. I don't drink anymore, which is probably why I haven't played much in the past few years. And why I sold my JW, but I find the challenges of the game much more exciting without the inhibitions of alcohol. And hardly notice the atmosphere past the disgusting smell of lingering cigarette smoke.

That table is quite dreamy though. I'd much rather have a dedicated room to play in, but not there in life yet ��
Old 19 November 2022, 11:54 PM   #81
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Some of you guys are quite talented!

I do some of the work myself on my cars, house, etc. partly because I'm cheap, partly because it's a hassle taking stuff to get repaired, but mostly because of the satisfaction of doing it myself.

As I get older and some things are more challenging, I'm more inclined to pay to have it done. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find people who will do a good job at a reasonable price.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:21 AM   #82
330ci
"TRF" Member

Well... trying to squeeze an engine swap prior to MI winter rolling through was a terrible idea.

Hopefully will get the majority of it wrapped up today. Would be nice to get the engine back in the car. Finally got all the parts organized and area cleaned off again today. Now to go run some errands, come home and make some progress finally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230321_131821_(650_x_650_pixel).jpg (158.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 22 March 2023, 03:50 AM   #83
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Best of luck brotha!!

Old 22 March 2023, 05:06 AM   #84
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I change the fluids on my motorcycles, and have done valve adjustments on some of the older ones. Last week I managed to fix a jumpy idle issue on my air-cooled 911 Targa by pulling off the idle control valve and giving it a good scrubbing after soaking it in brake cleaner. I'm ordering oil today to do this little routine again this weekend. I was going to do the Ducati too, but I don't have a tool to reset the light and the dealer charges the same amount to reset the light as they do for the oil change!

Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 07:58 AM   #85
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Best of luck brotha!!

Thanks bro, didn't get much wrenching time in.

Went to the parts store to grab some vacuum tube which was the furthest store i had to go to. forgot my jacket on the BMW when I left which had my wallet in it, had to double back so I could run my errands. Thought there was just one vacuum tube that needed replacing but it was all of them. So spent quite a bit of time routing them and cutting them to size, putting the connectors on etc.

Had some other vacuum tube splitter that has something to do with the whole intake or ccv that I had to pop off my old engine and that was a PITA. Then had to get the broken one off the new engine without destroying the old hose as I have 0 intentions of pulling the intake completely.

Spent some time torque speccing all last years progress then just wrapped up for the day.

Just glad the end is in sight. Hoping to be driving it on my birthday next week.pretty much everything that can go wrong is replaced with the exception of the starter and alternator. Considering just ordering them at this point and taking a road trip next week. Maybe head to SC to hit up the flea markets and work my way down to FL from there. Then hit up the ones in Kentucky on the way back
Old 22 March 2023, 08:12 AM   #86
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I change the fluids on my motorcycles, and have done valve adjustments on some of the older ones. Last week I managed to fix a jumpy idle issue on my air-cooled 911 Targa by pulling off the idle control valve and giving it a good scrubbing after soaking it in brake cleaner. I'm ordering oil today to do this little routine again this weekend. I was going to do the Ducati too, but I don't have a tool to reset the light and the dealer charges the same amount to reset the light as they do for the oil change!

Sounds like you have some cool toys.

Valve adjustments on the Porsche sound fun. I always have felt theres a sort of mechanical romance in air cooled Porsches. Always fancied their lack of sophistication. Just seems like a pure driving experience from the ground up.

I hope you have a great season enjoying them all ahead!
Old 22 March 2023, 08:35 AM   #87
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I don't have the balls, or knowledge, to tackle a valve adjustment on a 911! I've done air-cooled BMW boxers, which are about as easy as it gets!

In our Houston climate, we're going into what my girlfriend refers to as "the suck", and most of my motorsports fun is probably the opposite of you guys up north. Between June and October if I get out for a ride I really want to be home by noon or it's just way too hot. Now is a nice time though!

Quote:
Sounds like you have some cool toys.

Valve adjustments on the Porsche sound fun. I always have felt theres a sort of mechanical romance in air cooled Porsches. Always fancied their lack of sophistication. Just seems like a pure driving experience from the ground up.

I hope you have a great season enjoying them all ahead!
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 08:47 AM   #88
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I don't have the balls, or knowledge, to tackle a valve adjustment on a 911! I've done air-cooled BMW boxers, which are about as easy as it gets!

In our Houston climate, we're going into what my girlfriend refers to as "the suck", and most of my motorsports fun is probably the opposite of you guys up north. Between June and October if I get out for a ride I really want to be home by noon or it's just way too hot. Now is a nice time though!
Totally misread that valve adjustments on bikes make more sense.

Working on an air cooled Porsche in general, just seems like automotive romance to me. I imagine myself driving one through the country side often with my arm out the window and not a care in the world. Some day. I have a feeling one would bankrupt me at this stage of my life. The fact that these BMW parts haven't come down much in price kills me every time I do a repair.

This is going to be my last e46 I think. Superdogs reply to me telling him I've had 4 and they've all been nightmares cured me it seems.

This thing might get sold here rather soon after she's running. For the amount of driving I do, Corvettes/Mustangs really are much more reliable.
Old 22 March 2023, 09:30 AM   #89
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I did all the maintenance on my Ducati motorcycle when I owned it due to the distance to a mechanic who worked on them, almost 200 miles.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 09:55 AM   #90
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks bro, didn't get much wrenching time in.

Went to the parts store to grab some vacuum tube which was the furthest store i had to go to. forgot my jacket on the BMW when I left which had my wallet in it, had to double back so I could run my errands. Thought there was just one vacuum tube that needed replacing but it was all of them. So spent quite a bit of time routing them and cutting them to size, putting the connectors on etc.

Had some other vacuum tube splitter that has something to do with the whole intake or ccv that I had to pop off my old engine and that was a PITA. Then had to get the broken one off the new engine without destroying the old hose as I have 0 intentions of pulling the intake completely.

Spent some time torque speccing all last years progress then just wrapped up for the day.

Just glad the end is in sight. Hoping to be driving it on my birthday next week.pretty much everything that can go wrong is replaced with the exception of the starter and alternator. Considering just ordering them at this point and taking a road trip next week. Maybe head to SC to hit up the flea markets and work my way down to FL from there. Then hit up the ones in Kentucky on the way back

Awesome!!

Gonna get the van for the trip or Beverly Hillbilly it up in the 330?