The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 March 2023, 07:07 AM   #1
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

Watch insurance

The US is changing fast. Things are not what they once were.

What do you guys think about insuring your watches?

I never felt the need but I have been rethinking this.

What do you guys advise ?

Check out what happened in red bank Nj recently

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/comme...tm_name=iossmf
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 07:23 AM   #2
Matt129
"TRF" Member

If you use the search function I think you'll find quite a few threads with a variety of opinions. I have every one of mine insured, some on my State Farm personal articles policy and some through Hodinkee's program with Chubb. Both have their positives.
Old 9 March 2023, 07:24 AM   #3
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Same thing happened to an AD near me... unfortunate but Rolex AD's are targeted for this..
I would definitely insure your watches. Check with your home insurance and see if it makes sense with them. I added a small premium and got covered for most of my collection
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 07:46 AM   #4
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Its pretty f'ed up now...NOT the same as wearing a luxury watch 5 years ago. Im a field engineer and cover San Francisco and vicinity. My service vehicle has been broken into twice now (with nothing inside..lol). I've had someone snatch at my Swiss Army backpack while crossing a busy street downtown. My work laptop and tools are in there.

Most of the public parking lots have shattered broken glass in broad daylight which alone tell ya the story. I leave my omega/Breitling behind and wear my Garmin Fenix as of lately.

It's not just insurance but the way things are, there are people out there who are ready to stick a 3 inch blade in your body to snatch a rolex off your wrist. Watches can be replaced...your health doesn't (not to mention the trauma you have to live with).

Side topic, had a friend who was in the wrong business decades ago and thought of himself as a badass ...one day, he was cornered and had a gun pointed at his head and trigger pulled but it jammed and they ran away....he was a changed man for years and wouldn't even come out of the house for months.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 08:19 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Its pretty f'ed up now...NOT the same as wearing a luxury watch 5 years ago. Im a field engineer and cover San Francisco and vicinity. My service vehicle has been broken into twice now (with nothing inside..lol). I've had someone snatch at my Swiss Army backpack while crossing a busy street downtown. My work laptop and tools are in there.

Most of the public parking lots have shattered broken glass in broad daylight which alone tell ya the story. I leave my omega/Breitling behind and wear my Garmin Fenix as of lately.

It's not just insurance but the way things are, there are people out there who are ready to stick a 3 inch blade in your body to snatch a rolex off your wrist. Watches can be replaced...your health doesn't (not to mention the trauma you have to live with).

Side topic, had a friend who was in the wrong business decades ago and thought of himself as a badass ...one day, he was cornered and had a gun pointed at his head and trigger pulled but it jammed and they ran away....he was a changed man for years and wouldn't even come out of the house for months.
Scary story.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 11:06 AM   #6
Flipmarine2k
"TRF" Member

Wow, that's a first i've heard of an AD being robbed. Crazy...
Personally, I insure the pieces i wear outside the house through USAA. Unless I'm extra careful with location activities etc. and wearing long sleeves!

👑: 16710-GMT Master II, 16622- Yachtmaster, 18038 Day-Date, 216570 Exp II- Black, 116000 OP Red Grape, 16570 Explorer II Polar, 16750 GMT Master, 124060 Submariner, 16610LV Kermit, 116523 White Panda Racing Dial; Omega SMPc Tokyo, speedy 1861 Sapphire 🛡️: BB58 gilt. Cartier: WSSA0037 Santos ADLC Grey
Flipmarine2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 11:07 AM   #7
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I don't wear a watch without insuring it.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 11:21 AM   #8
MinMay
Banned

Watch insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepats81 View Post
The US is changing fast. Things are not what they once were.

What do you guys think about insuring your watches?

I never felt the need but I have been rethinking this.

What do you guys advise ?

Check out what happened in red bank Nj recently

https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/comme...tm_name=iossmf

Up to you. It depends as everyone is different. Some can get a new stainless steel every 4-5 years instead of putting the money into insurance (reminds me of HOA fees lol)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 04:48 PM   #9
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
I don't wear a watch without insuring it.
+1, except for pieces under say <$2,000. Most don't bother giving anything under that threshold a second glance from my experience.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 09:10 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Very personal decision. I for one am not in the business of making insurance companies rich. If I can replace a watch, car, anything really, w/o much sweat I will self insure (except for liability if applicable). It always comes down to a personal assessment of value vs risk for any item in question.

Living in a fairly save European city I don't have any item specific insurance for my watches. However, their value happens to be partially covered via my home insurance including if I get mugged outside.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 09:13 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Up to you. It depends as everyone is different. Some can get a new stainless steel every 4-5 years instead of putting the money into insurance (reminds me of HOA fees lol)
Pretty much
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote