The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 March 2023, 05:48 PM   #1
Banks
"TRF" Member

A. Lange & Söhne Pricing & Availability

Hi all,

I have yearned for a Lange 1 Moonphase or 1815 Annual Calendar for quite some time but have been relatively detached from Lange pricing and availability for the best part of 12 months.

I’m generally aware of some price increases from Lange and more restricted supply but when I went to search for the above models I couldn’t believe the discrepancy in pricing and grey market availability between now and 12 months ago. It looks like I would now have to pay a significant premium over what I had thought to be the peak of the overall watch market post covid.

It would be good if anyone closer to the subject could shine a light on what has transpired and thoughts going forward or if indeed I am completely misreading the situation.

Many thanks
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:08 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Hi all,

I have yearned for a Lange 1 Moonphase or 1815 Annual Calendar for quite some time but have been relatively detached from Lange pricing and availability for the best part of 12 months.

I’m generally aware of some price increases from Lange and more restricted supply but when I went to search for the above models I couldn’t believe the discrepancy in pricing and grey market availability between now and 12 months ago. It looks like I would now have to pay a significant premium over what I had thought to be the peak of the overall watch market post covid.

It would be good if anyone closer to the subject could shine a light on what has transpired and thoughts going forward or if indeed I am completely misreading the situation.

Many thanks
1. Lange wasn't hyped during the peak so didn't dip in the same way as some others
2. Lange has moved to a Boutique sales model and has stopped AD discounts
3. COVID struck Lange production hard and they are still playing catchup
4. They are great watches and people are now starting to realise this
5. MSRP has moved up considerably in the last 1 months
6. All of the above has pushed up prices on the secondary

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:10 PM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I don't really follow Lange prices that closely but there is another price increase coming in 3 days on 20 March. If you really want that piece I'd strongly consider going to a boutique soon and ordering it and paying in full to get the current prices. Or if grey prices are much better then I'd just get it grey.

Edit: Also everything Russell said above
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:42 PM   #4
Banks
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for the insight. Looks like I might have missed the boat on this unfortunately as even grey prices are around 15k more on both models relative to what they were. Live and learn I guess!
Old 19 March 2023, 10:47 AM   #5
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Thank you both for the insight. Looks like I might have missed the boat on this unfortunately as even grey prices are around 15k more on both models relative to what they were. Live and learn I guess!
Don't feel bad. The recent price jump in the secondary market was unprecedented and unforeseeable.

I'm surprised by the present lack of availability of certain older, limited edition pieces on the preowned market. For example, it was always easy to find a few Langematik Anniversary pieces (500 made/302.025) and Emil Lange 1815 Moonphase pieces (400 total made, 150 in PT/231.035 and 250 in RG/231.031) floating around on the preowned market, though they haven't been cheap in years. Now you rarely see them, and several dealers who list them don't actually have them in stock ("must be procured" or some such nonsense).

The prices for the models you mentioned -- the Lange 1 Moonphase and 1815 Annual Calendar -- will not increase very much at all in a few days. The increase for those will be far less than for several other models.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 11:31 PM   #6
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Pricing for Lange has gone up significantly.

The Lange I bought at a discount not all that long ago from an AD has actually gone up nearly 50% more than I paid for it at retail.

I'm afraid ALS is no longer the under-valued darling and the market prices have followed.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:01 AM   #7
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 now 44k!
Old 21 March 2023, 07:23 AM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Pricing for Lange has gone up significantly.

The Lange I bought at a discount not all that long ago from an AD has actually gone up nearly 50% more than I paid for it at retail.

I'm afraid ALS is no longer the under-valued darling and the market prices have followed.
But has the customer base grown in lock step. I’m skeptical
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #9
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Most standard Langes are readily available for sale on the spot at local boutique…
Old 21 March 2023, 08:25 AM   #10
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Most standard Langes are readily available for sale on the spot at local boutique…
Oh yeah? Where? Definitely not in NYC.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:42 AM   #11
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
Boston
Old 21 March 2023, 10:11 AM   #12
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I don’t care about availability, that’s unimportant to me, I do care about availability of quality service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:56 AM   #13
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
I don’t care about availability, that’s unimportant to me, I do care about availability of quality service.

That they def provide! Felt very nice when I went in there like old times and they even followed up to gauge my interest a few weeks later. Not ready to pull trigger on a L1 yet but one day. And not at 44k!
Old 21 March 2023, 10:59 AM   #14
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
NYC Lange had basically nothing last time I went in.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 01:08 PM   #15
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660

Was able to sneak this one into the watch box just under the wire, before the of a price hike. Aggressive move by ALS - will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 21 March 2023, 03:08 PM   #16
gordon86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I don't really follow Lange prices that closely but there is another price increase coming in 3 days on 20 March. If you really want that piece I'd strongly consider going to a boutique soon and ordering it and paying in full to get the current prices. Or if grey prices are much better then I'd just get it grey.

Edit: Also everything Russell said above
Any news on the price increase? Curious whats the % increase in 2023 given all these rumours of 15% price increase
gordon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:04 PM   #17
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon86 View Post
Any news on the price increase? Curious whats the % increase in 2023 given all these rumours of 15% price increase
The % is different depending on which model, and I'm sure that varies by region as well. My SA told me the range here is 0-29%.
Old 21 March 2023, 05:24 PM   #18
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post

if there's no availability of watches to purchase, having good service doesn't do much to you unless you just needed someone to talk to you or show you pieces you cannot purchase

but.. lange boutique service is top notch, they are willing to go thru with you their current line up plus show you any physical pieces they have in the store (lower end models might be available for purchase immediately)
and they don't profile customers like AP does.

i've been to lange boutiques wearing shorts and tshirts, the service remains the same.
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:44 PM   #19
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

I noticed the price in Hong Kong is significantly lower than other countries.
Grand Lang 1 has significantly increased for past year, compared to other models...... what a shame I cannot get it.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:30 PM   #20
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtime View Post
but.. lange boutique service is top notch, they are willing to go thru with you their current line up plus show you any physical pieces they have in the store (lower end models might be available for purchase immediately)
and they don't profile customers like AP does.
I agree with this. I go everywhere in tshirts and shorts and the standalone boutiques like Lange, AP, VC are all super friendly and welcoming. ADs on the other hand are much more hit or miss for me.
Old 21 March 2023, 08:05 PM   #21
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
The % is different depending on which model, and I'm sure that varies by region as well. My SA told me the range here is 0-29%.
For the Little One moonphase with aventurine dial, the increase is about 12%.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:08 PM   #22
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Just noticed your profile picture changed from the 5172. Did you get a new chronograph?
Old 21 March 2023, 09:09 PM   #23
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Just noticed your profile picture changed from the 5172. Did you get a new chronograph?
That green 5204 is one of my grails. I have seen 1 in IG and it is as cool as it gets.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:43 PM   #24
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
That green 5204 is one of my grails. I have seen 1 in IG and it is as cool as it gets.
Wonder if @buttbutt got a major upgrade
Old 22 March 2023, 01:14 AM   #25
Banks
"TRF" Member

OP here again.

I see that the 1815 Annual Calendar has, as of this week, gone up another 20%…

So from €48,000 here in Europe to €54,700 (equivalent of around $59,000) in my local country. I’m not sure whether it will back fire or not for Lange but their new pricing model is certainly trending towards pricing out certain customers for their entry and mid range models, which is a pity. Will also be interested to see how the secondary / grey market reacts over the next 12 months or so as this will likely be my only route.
Old 22 March 2023, 01:25 AM   #26
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Nope, I wish, I'm still waiting on the 5326 I was offered the salmon 5320 just a few weeks back but declined, not sure if that will affect my chances.

The green 5204 is just a perfect looking watch to me (except maybe the thickness) and has the complications I love. If I had to sell everything and just keep one watch I think that would probably at the top or near it. One needs something to dream about