The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2023, 08:39 AM   #1
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Hanks Belts

Not a lifetime guarantee but at 100 years it will outlive me. For casual jeans belts as far as durability goes I’ve yet to find anything better. Can’t say I’ve tried all of their belts but after 6 years of wear when wearing jeans I’ve yet to find any leather belt better. At this point it’s real hard to tell it’s that old. By the way I’m referring to The Premier. I imagine the other ones are nice but this is their heaviest and thickest belt. Something I’ve yet to see anywhere else. Military discounts and subscribe to their newsletter and a good discount can be found as well.

This ain’t socks, but for casual belts it doesn’t get much better.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/collectio...nt=20844718342

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 09:41 AM   #2
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I just replaced my old everyday belt with a water Buffalo hide belt from Buffalo Head Leather. Their warranty is as long as you own the product and are the original purchaser.

Didn’t know about Hanks Belts but they look good too.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 09:44 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
FYI for anyone who wears RedWing Heritage - this place makes belts using the RedWing tannery leather so perfect match to the boots…

https://www.nstarleather.com/optimiz...ory/Belts.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:01 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I just replaced my old everyday belt with a water Buffalo hide belt from Buffalo Head Leather. Their warranty is as long as you own the product and are the original purchaser.

Didn’t know about Hanks Belts but they look good too.

Please don’t take this wrong.

Besides price the biggest difference I see on the Hanks Belt website that Buffalos Head does not advertise the weight or thickness of their leather, Hanks does. Based on my limited experience with boots, shoes, and belts this matters.

Although it’s possible Buffalo Head Leather belts that they sell for $50 maybe on par with the belts Hanks sells for at that price I seriously doubt they are on par with their premium leather belts Hanks sells or any of those over $100 for that matter. Price alone isn’t a reflection of quality but in my opinion this is a case where it would be.

For all I know Buffalo Head sells a better belt because I don’t own any, however based on everything I’ve seen I just seriously doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
FYI for anyone who wears RedWing Heritage - this place makes belts using the RedWing tannery leather so perfect match to the boots…

https://www.nstarleather.com/optimiz...ory/Belts.html

Although this to is another option I would make the same comments as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 March 2023, 10:09 AM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Not a lifetime guarantee but at 100 years it will outlive me. For casual jeans belts as far as durability goes I’ve yet to find anything better. Can’t say I’ve tried all of their belts but after 6 years of wear when wearing jeans I’ve yet to find any leather belt better. At this point it’s real hard to tell it’s that old. By the way I’m referring to The Premier. I imagine the other ones are nice but this is their heaviest and thickest belt. Something I’ve yet to see anywhere else. Military discounts and subscribe to their newsletter and a good discount can be found as well.

This ain’t socks, but for casual belts it doesn’t get much better.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/collectio...nt=20844718342
Those are great looking pieces. You sure don't see the real good harness leather on belts under $100.

I have an Equus belt and it looks brand new after 6 years of hard wear. I had mine sized with holes every 3/4 inch and routinely cycle between the same two holes but, other than a slight creasing, you would never know.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:09 AM   #6
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:

Besides price the biggest difference I see on the Hanks Belt website that Buffalos Head does not advertise is the weight of their leather, Hanks does. Based on my limited experience with boots, shoes, and belts this matters.

Although it’s possible Buffalo Head Leather belts that they sell for $50 maybe on par with the belts Hanks sells for at that price I seriously doubt they are on par with their premium leather belts Hanks sells or any of those over $100 for that matter.

For all I know Buffalo Head sells a better belt because I don’t own any, however based on everything I’ve seen I seriously doubt it.

No offense taken at all. I was looking for a new belt and found Buffalo Head. Their belts looked good, I bought the best water Buffalo one they make. If it lasts me 5-6 yrs of almost daily abuse I will be very satisfied. When it’s time to replace I hope I remember hanks belts because they do look very well made.

For reference of the thickness it is about 1/8th” to 3/16ths” thick. I will actually measure it tomorrow if I remember.

It’s nice to see companies making real leather belts that are made to last, most new belts don’t last me a year these days.

Thanks for bringing Hanks Belts to our radar.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:18 AM   #7
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Those are great looking pieces. You sure don't see the real good harness leather on belts under $100.

I have an Equus belt and it looks brand new after 6 years of hard wear. I had mine sized with holes every 3/4 inch and routinely cycle between the same two holes but, other than a slight creasing, you would never know.
Sadly, Equus is no more. Out of business.

I have four hand made Equus belts and an ostrich watch strap.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:22 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
No offense taken at all. I was looking for a new belt and found Buffalo Head. Their belts looked good, I bought the best water Buffalo one they make. If it lasts me 5-6 yrs of almost daily abuse I will be very satisfied. When it’s time to replace I hope I remember hanks belts because they do look very well made.

For reference of the thickness it is about 1/8th” to 3/16ths” thick. I will actually measure it tomorrow if I remember.

It’s nice to see companies making real leather belts that are made to last, most new belts don’t last me a year these days.

Thanks for bringing Hanks Belts to our radar.

Cool.

As I mentioned I’ve been using my Hanks The Premier for the last 6 years and although it has some of the wear to indicate it’s been worn in no way does it show any of the typical wear you would expect to see long before this point with a leather belt. Then again The Premier is actually two typical belts sewn into one so there’s a good reason for that.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 March 2023, 10:26 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

Sounds great. By the way I don’t even need to cycle between holes, and the hole shows no wear after 6 years, which I attribute to the belt actually being two belts sewn together to make one. This in itself is something I’ve yet to see in any other belt I’ve ever worn before.

They cost a bit more than they did 6 years ago, however when they ran a special during Black Friday I couldn’t help picking up another for $60 off the regular price even if I may never need to actually use it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 March 2023, 10:41 AM   #10
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Glad to read your review. I’ve been thinking about buying this bison hide belt:

Hank’s Bison Hide Montana Belt
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 10:49 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Glad to read your review. I’ve been thinking about buying this bison hide belt:

Hank’s Bison Hide Montana Belt
Cool, I currently own only their Premier but the one you’re currently looking at is something I’ve actually considered. If you compare it to the Premier it’s almost just as thick. I personally would highly recommend their product.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 March 2023, 11:54 AM   #12
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Thanks for the heads up on Hanks.
I have been using Bullhide Belts for years and very pleased.
I have their casual, work and dress belts.
They also have a beautiful selection of exotic skin belts.
On most of their products, you select width,
thickness, hole spacing and buckle. Made in the USA
https://www.bullhidebelts.com/
Old 20 March 2023, 12:27 PM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Hanks.
I have been using Bullhide Belts for years and very pleased.
I have their casual, work and dress belts.
They also have a beautiful selection of exotic skin belts.
On most of their products, you select width,
thickness, hole spacing and buckle. Made in the USA
https://www.bullhidebelts.com/
It appears as though out of the ones mentioned so far besides Hanks they may come the closest with their steel core at 15 oz. If that's leather and steel core it's still a bit shy of the 18 oz from Hanks with just leather on their Premier, but 15 Oz is no laughing matter. Bull Hide Belts strength in my opinion appears to be in their exotic leathers and the fact that you can get them in a wide variety of widths, at least when compared to Hanks.

Thanks,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 March 2023, 06:02 PM   #14
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Does the edge stitching on some of these belts, indicate a laminate construction, rather than one solid piece of leather?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 08:20 PM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Does the edge stitching on some of these belts, indicate a laminate construction, rather than one solid piece of leather?

With regards to Hanks they specifically advertise The Premier as two strips of leather sewn together. This is their best belt so not even all if any others come with that much leather. No laminates just two strips of leather double stitched together to make one fairly durable and still fairly pliable but sturdy as hell belt. Which for the most part you couldn’t even tell it was two strips of leather unless you looked at it up close. As mentioned previously after 6 years of daily belt wear at least when wearing jeans and you can’t tell it’s that old. Heck, there’s not even no hole wear. I’ve yet to see any belt, especially made from just leather to hold up that nicely. Bull Hide from what I can see doesn’t even come with that thick of leather as they achieve their added strength with a steel core. They appear to be nice belts from what I can tell from the web but just not quite as much leather.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 March 2023, 12:45 AM   #16
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:

Besides price the biggest difference I see on the Hanks Belt website that Buffalos Head does not advertise the weight or thickness of their leather, Hanks does. Based on my limited experience with boots, shoes, and belts this matters.

Although it’s possible Buffalo Head Leather belts that they sell for $50 maybe on par with the belts Hanks sells for at that price I seriously doubt they are on par with their premium leather belts Hanks sells or any of those over $100 for that matter. Price alone isn’t a reflection of quality but in my opinion this is a case where it would be.

For all I know Buffalo Head sells a better belt because I don’t own any, however based on everything I’ve seen I just seriously doubt it.

Yeah, but that leather is thick enough for work boots (not speculation and not challenged/debated) so it’s perfectly fine for a simple belt. Anyway, buying from them is about the match using the same leather. My post was (and remains) specific to buying belts to match Red Wings.

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 12:55 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Yeah, but that leather is thick enough for work boots (not speculation and not challenged/debated) so it’s perfectly fine for a simple belt. Anyway, buying from them is about the match using the same leather. My post was (and remains) specific to buying belts to match Red Wings.

I’m glad it works for you. I’ve got 2 redwing boots and Hanks Belts go perfectly fine with them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 March 2023, 12:57 AM   #18
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Been a fan of Grip 6 belts for a few years now. So have most of the men in my extended family.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 01:03 AM   #19
Ike
"TRF" Member

I'll check them out.
I've had belts from thebeltman.net that have held up well for years. They are the two layer belts like the one in the link. 
The two layers is for stability so the belt doesn't twist. It's for carrying things that have some weight to them.
Alden makes some nice cordovan belts but they can be hard to find.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 01:28 AM   #20
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
I'll check them out.
I've had belts from thebeltman.net that have held up well for years. They are the two layer belts like the one in the link.
The two layers is for stability so the belt doesn't twist. It's for carrying things that have some weight to them.
Alden makes some nice cordovan belts but they can be hard to find.
I’ve got a few Alden Cordovan Belts and actually one or two Cordovan Belts from other shoemakers like Carmina. However I guess I just prefer a real good calf belt when wearing jeans and so far this is the best I’ve found to this point. As I said the only belt I purchased from Hanks is their Premier and it’s supposedly their best belt among the many they make anyway.

I know there are many different kinds to include non-leather options like Dan mentioned but personally I prefer leather and since Hanks has none of the typical drawbacks one will find in a lesser belts after numerous wears it works great for me. I get a leather belt and any body looking at it would have an extremely difficult time telling it’s 6 yrs old.

Actually Hanks Belts are designed to carry things as well, in fact that’s how I discovered them to begin with. If you do happen to take a look and decided to get one please let me know how it compares to the ones you currently own. I think you find Hanks just a bit better, or that’s my guess from reading your description and checking out the Beltman website.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 March 2023, 02:13 AM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Discount Code Spring20 for 20% off site wide on Hanks Belts. Good until 3/26.

They often have discounts, I just so happen to subscribe to their notices and figured I would share.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 March 2023, 02:36 AM   #22
austinp
"TRF" Member

I have a couple leather belts from House of Flemming that have held up well over the years. I also like the belts from Over Under.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:32 PM   #23
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Andrews out of fl one man show. Bought the toughest skin there is can't make a mark with a nail. ''Elephant trunk'' so different so tough. Ranger buckle nickel. Belt looks unworn after many years. Google Andrews talk to the man him self. He sells all kind of skins and custom makes your belt the way you want it.
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:34 PM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
Andrews out of fl one man show. Bought the toughest skin there is can't make a mark with a nail. ''Elephant trunk'' so different so tough. Ranger buckle nickel. Belt looks unworn after many years. Google Andrews talk to the man him self. He sells all kind of skins and custom makes your belt the way you want it.
The problem is when you google Andrews Belts you come up with more than a few responses.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 March 2023, 10:44 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This has been an interesting read Dan

I have to admit, I need to step up my belt game. It’s the one piece of “clothing” that I typically cheap out on even though they are made from leather
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:43 AM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
This has been an interesting read Dan

I have to admit, I need to step up my belt game. It’s the one piece of “clothing” that I typically cheap out on even though they are made from leather
It’s just that it’s been my experience even if made from good leather I’ve just found most belts eventually start showing their age and eventually aren’t quite what they used to be. This just happens to be one that since they use two straps sewn together does much much better.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 March 2023, 03:46 AM   #27
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

In 2017 I bought a stupid amount of Louis Vuitton belts that showed a ton of wear after only a few months, worst clothing investment ever.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 07:05 AM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
In 2017 I bought a stupid amount of Louis Vuitton belts that showed a ton of wear after only a few months, worst clothing investment ever.
Sorry to hear that, although I’m not surprised. But I take it there was no doubt that these were authentic and not copies, correct?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 March 2023, 07:08 AM   #29
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, although I’m not surprised. But I take it there was no doubt that these were authentic and not copies, correct?
Yes of course. These were from Saks.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 07:16 AM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Yes of course. These were from Saks.
Sorry, bad habit. I just had to ask.

I’m guessing that’s one brand that doesn’t make their own belts. Anyway, that’s one of a number of reasons I’ll attempt to do some research before choosing most products I purchase. I purchase most things on the internet anyway and have done so for over a decade now. If I can find a forum associated with what I am planning to buy that makes it even easier. That’s exactly how I found out about Hanks Belts. I call it hanging out with the geeks. Those people who have a bit of experience so I don’t have to go through the same growing pains. That and I like to buy things that have good solid warranties.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons