The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 21 March 2023, 04:14 AM   #31
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi I think that there is already a large thread in the watchout section regarding this firm.
Old 21 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #32
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Not because a Reseller is BIG, doesn't mean they are the BEST...Important to know your Watch Dealer whether you're selling or buying. Heard horror stories about Bob's and other Online Retail Stores. Sorry to hear about your experience...

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:20 AM   #33
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi I think that there is already a large thread in the watchout section regarding this firm.
Found it and bumped it to the top.
Old 21 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #34
Idaho
"TRF" Member

+1
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:07 AM   #35
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I am sorry to hear your experience OP, but I am not surprised by it. I have always said that it doesn't matter if it's a big "reputable" grey dealer or a new unknown one, it's equally dodgy because they have no one to answer to. Rolex ADs may have trashy attitude, but ultimately they are answerable to Rolex themselves if things get out of control. If they are not able to come up with a satisfactory response, their AD status is pulled. No AD wants to lose their Rolex dealership these days.

With these grey market dealers, who do they answer to if they misbehave? NOBODY.
In a worst case scenario, they just pull the shutters down on their business, walk away and go back to flipping sneakers or burgers. There's no incentive for them to do honest business other than lining their own pocket. So many examples of dodgy grey dealers - keeping a platinum or PM link from customers while advertising it as BNIB/Unworn, selling fakes/frankensteins as real (as demonstrated by a recent TPG video), lowballing customers of their watches by claiming its "broken", "scratched" etc. I can assure you had you taken over the offer, the watch would have been conveniently sold as Mint condition without a mention of the amplitude issue.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:16 AM   #36
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your experience OP. Sorry you had to go through it and can understand your frustration.

The $150 is a slap in the face in my opinion and I would have laughed at that possible solution to rectify their poor handling of the situation.

When I first got in to watches O visited their site a lot, almost pulled the trigger a few times. Glad I didn’t, and will stay clear of their offerings moving forward.

If it hasn’t already been discussed yet, I hope this thread gains enough momentum to force their hand in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:18 AM   #37
Swiftneck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchfan8 View Post
I didn’t up selling the watch for the $12k because I don’t trust Bob’s at all and I don’t want to do business with them. After, everything that happened, who knows if they would’ve paid out the $12k. I still enjoy the watch, and I’m planning on keeping it in the collection instead of selling it and using the funds for something else.
Well done. I would have done exactly the same. Watch back and a public review. The reason it happens is that most people take the easy way out..

Sendt fra min SM-F711B med Tapatalk
Swiftneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:19 AM   #38
RLXWillis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
I have that same watch and love it. It was actually damaged in a similar manner, but I haven't posted on that yet. I will be upset all day just from reading what happened to you, though. There is no solution that fixes it. You will never be able to get the watch back that you lost because that watch is forever changed.
RLXWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:58 AM   #39
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Wow bobs is scam artists…..they take links out of watches too so count your links!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:05 AM   #40
Watch Maniac
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing this
Old 21 March 2023, 06:35 AM   #41
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Thanks for sharing. i would have taken the $12k. Another shady dealer practice.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:33 AM   #42
javierm27
"TRF" Member

What a mess, and good for you for not following through with their tactic. I wouldn't have taken whatever they offered me after that. Definitely would have turned down the $12k offer as well, f that nonsense.
javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:39 AM   #43
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Bad news. Take the $12 and get the hell out.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:58 AM   #44
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierm27 View Post
What a mess, and good for you for not following through with their tactic. I wouldn't have taken whatever they offered me after that. Definitely would have turned down the $12k offer as well, f that nonsense.
idk, i would take the 12k and be done with it. the initial goal was to sell the watch at 12k right? now he's gonna live with a watch that was opened by someone other than RSC AND scratched, i wouldn't exactly call that standing your ground. the 12k offer was their way of making up for their massive f up, imo just make the sale and never do business with them again. they just got away with nothing but some bad feedback that will be burried on the internet
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:20 AM   #45
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Very unprofessional from Bob's on pretty much every level there. Shocking stuff. Thanks for posting.

However, I can't for the life of me fathom why you didn't take the $12K when it was finally offered. You originally wanted to sell the watch for $12K, meaning the watch is already "in the departure lounge" as far as you're concerned, and when they eventually offer you the $12K, you decline. So as it stands you still have to sell the watch, only now it's also got scratches on it!
Exactly my thought ! Once they reach $12k was the time to let it go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:38 AM   #46
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Thanks for sharing. Will never do business with them, and no one should.
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:40 AM   #47
JKPA
"TRF" Member

Sleazeball, dishonest tactics by them. Disgusting. I have been shopping vintage DJs on their site for a while but no more - removed the website link from my browser. Hope you will either enjoy the watch for years to come or find a solid buyer.
JKPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 02:53 PM   #48
John Deaux
"TRF" Member

Dang, reading that about gave me anxiety, lol. What a terrible business practice, I say practice because I'd bet that is the norm for them.
John Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 04:02 PM   #49
LFFL
"TRF" Member

Yikes, I gather they’ve implemented this unethical tactic as part of their ‘regular business operations’. I feel your pain and frustration OP, very sorry to hear about this. I think OP played it well even at the expense of his watch getting scratched, would not support a business like this ever— unacceptable!
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:23 PM   #50
tike71
"TRF" Member

The 3235 is a finicky movement. It won't keep accurate time if you wind it up from zero power reserve. Once it's been running for a couple days, it'll keep time perfectly, hence, that's why the offers kept going up.
Old 21 March 2023, 05:38 PM   #51
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchfan8 View Post
3/10/23 - Afternoon - I spoke with Sharon multiple times and she admits they scratched the watch and can offer three solutions 1. Send the watch to them for a polish 2. They will buy the watch for $12k 3. They will give me $150 to get the watch polished at an AD. I ended up taking the $150 because I don’t want the watch polished.
If you initially wanted to sell the watch for 12K, why don't you just accept to sell it for that much now that you are offered.

Taking back the ruined watch that now needs to go through polish job and risk it will be done poorly further decreasing the value makes zero sense ..

Also, 12K for a plain Sub is exceptionally good buyout price. Most dealers are not even paying cash these days, let alone offering that much for a black sub.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:49 PM   #52
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened. I have never and would never deal with Bob's or other like them. I have had great transactions with our Trusted Sellers and specifically DavidSW. I could never see this happening with him.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 10:58 PM   #53
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
If you initially wanted to sell the watch for 12K, why don't you just accept to sell it for that much now that you are offered.

Taking back the ruined watch that now needs to go through polish job and risk it will be done poorly further decreasing the value makes zero sense ..

Also, 12K for a plain Sub is exceptionally good buyout price. Most dealers are not even paying cash these days, let alone offering that much for a black sub.
Agree with all that.

Some get offered 15k for a 2yr old BLNR from a grey and call it a "lowball offer." Good grief, private sellers cannot expect to get DavidSW prices. 12k was very generous indeed. They were doing you a huge favor OP.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:00 PM   #54
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Agree with all that.

Some get offered 15k for a 2yr old BLNR from a grey and call it a "lowball offer." Good grief, private sellers cannot expect to get DavidSW prices. 12k was very generous indeed. When combined with the trouble they were offering you a huge favor OP.

Agreed.

I was surprised by the price offered as well to be honest, which is why I’d have taken the money

It sounds like the OP has decided to keep the watch now. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, any enjoyment going forward with that watch would be ruined for me YMMV.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:42 PM   #55
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a shady used car deal. Wow. That is some real damage too. I’d be so upset
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 11:51 PM   #56
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Very unprofessional from Bob's on pretty much every level there. Shocking stuff. Thanks for posting.

However, I can't for the life of me fathom why you didn't take the $12K when it was finally offered. You originally wanted to sell the watch for $12K, meaning the watch is already "in the departure lounge" as far as you're concerned, and when they eventually offer you the $12K, you decline. So as it stands you still have to sell the watch, only now it's also got scratches on it!

I totally get not wanting anything else to do with them, but at this point the watch was already with them (so no more concerns of shipping issues for you), it's been damaged by them, and they were offering what you wanted. Feels like cutting your nose off to spite your face, so apart from the $150, the only person worse off here is you I'm afraid.

Anyway, hope it all works out for you.
I would tend to agree with this sentiment as well as not wanting the memories of the experience associated with the watch or the watch itself.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:08 AM   #57
CryptoMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Thanks for sharing your experience. I totally understand why you don’t want to deal with them anymore and instead ask for your watch back.

Old 22 March 2023, 02:35 AM   #58
Lceltic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Sold two Rolexes to DavidSW in the last couple of months. Each time David himself responds within an hour of sending him an email. Offer and shipping label emailed to me same day. Funds are wired to my bank account same day he receives the watch and no counter offer from him. I bought a 116710LN from Bob’s five years ago and they sent me a Millgauss hang tag. Not a big deal but still very sloppy. DavidSW experience so much better than Bob’s.
Lceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 10:14 AM   #59
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
You dont take the 12K because doing so enables these hacks to screw someone else IMO. Not making a dime off of me after this stuff pulled here
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:14 PM   #60
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I've sold two watches to Bob's. Both times things went as expected and the communicated price was what the paid me.
Your experience sounds very unpleasant, but if they ultimately offered $12k, that doesn't sound awful if that was the original offer. I would've maybe tried to get them to go up a little more as a result of the stress and hassle.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote