The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2023, 10:57 AM   #1
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Debating on Insurance/safe

I have a safe and security system in my rental house for the safety of my watches, about 7 watches.

Im getting paranoid more and more i think about it and i research. I have a Sentury safe for 400$~.
People say no safe is safe no matter how much i spend on it.
Theres no bank nearby that has a safety deposit box.
I may insure the watches and just keep my safe as is and not upgrade to a bigger safe.

I have Lemonade rental insurance and they want 290$ a yr for a watch worth 12000$. Its ridiculous.
I may have 70k worth of watches. Is it possible to pay less than $200 a yr for my collection? If so, which companies?

Is it pain in the butt to file a claim and get a reimbursement? for a stolen/theft watches?
Do they call the watch companies to verify the purchase even though you
Give the insurance company appraisal/receipts in the beginning of starting the insurance?

Or no insurance and just upgrade the safe? Im in a relatively safe place.
Whoisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 11:10 AM   #2
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

Man you sound paranoid. Get insurance and pay whatever they want for your sanity’s sake. I use Hodinkee.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 11:38 AM   #3
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I pay a little less than 1% of insured value with Nationwide Private Client. Also have a 1,000lb+ safe filled with 300+lbs of other fun things and all bolted to the foundation. Would be more worried about losing a watch off my wrist so that’s the reason to insure them.
singe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 11:42 AM   #4
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
People say no safe is safe no matter how much i spend on it.
This is not a very accurate assessment as it completely ignores how drastically safes can differ. Some safes can be defeated in 15 seconds with a fire axe, whereas others are designed to withstand prolonged attacks with a thermal lance.

The safe you currently have, unless things have really changed with Sentry, is more of a locking box that looks like a safe than it is a true safe. I do not recommend this type of safe for storing expensive valuables if its intent is burglary protection.

A real safe - that is, a high-security safe, presents a formidable challenge to even a motivated and skilled attacker. With $70,000 of watches, a TL-15 safe with a Group 1 lock would be a good match for you, IMHO.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 11:53 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Your questions are good ones but I suggest getting both: a thing that is a safe (or looks like one) + Insurance.

There are other incidents that can cause a loss beyond a home burglary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 12:21 PM   #6
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
This is not a very accurate assessment as it completely ignores how drastically safes can differ. Some safes can be defeated in 15 seconds with a fire axe, whereas others are designed to withstand prolonged attacks with a thermal lance.

The safe you currently have, unless things have really changed with Sentry, is more of a locking box that looks like a safe than it is a true safe. I do not recommend this type of safe for storing expensive valuables if its intent is burglary protection.

A real safe - that is, a high-security safe, presents a formidable challenge to even a motivated and skilled attacker. With $70,000 of watches, a TL-15 safe with a Group 1 lock would be a good match for you, IMHO.
This is the summary of my sentry. Weight is 100lbs
Fire-Safe Business Safe offers 60 percent bigger bolts and a pry-resistant hinge bar to provide additional security while maintaining the same great standards in fire and water protection. Electronic lock and key, locking drawer and interior light make accessing your important documents and valuables easier than ever. Safe is ETL-verified 15' Drop Test, ETL-verified for one-hour fire protection of CDs and DVDs up to 1700 degrees Fahrenheit and ETL-verified for water-resistance in up to 8" of water for up to 24 hours. Bolt-down hardware is included for extra security.

TL 15 can withstand 15 minute of attack. Is that sufficient? Feels like police isnt gonna arrive in 15 mins.

Either for TL15 or 30, can you recommend a brand for under $1000?

Im currently renting a townhouse so im not so sure if i can bolt it down. Im planning to move out in a year though.

Cheapest i found so far. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fire-and-...White/34410649
Old 22 March 2023, 01:21 PM   #7
Ballzzz

Amsec Tl-15 or 30 is a real safe
Old 22 March 2023, 02:28 PM   #8
Andy0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoisthis View Post
Fire-Safe Business Safe offers 60 percent bigger bolts and a pry-resistant hinge bar to provide additional security while maintaining the same great standards in fire and water protection.

TL 15 can withstand 15 minute of attack. Is that sufficient? Feels like police isnt gonna arrive in 15 mins.

Your safe will keep honest people honest; that's about it.

TRTL safes are legitimate; that time rating is the minimum for professional thieves with the right equipment. These safes can be insured for several hundred thousand and more. While I can't speak for your situation, the overall likelihood of professional thieves targeting "normal people", is generally low.

Not likely you'll find one under $1k, but if you look for used ones, you probably will be in the $2-3k range.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:29 PM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think it's a both. Most insurance will give discount for bolt down safe. Also keep in mind most insurances actually won't cover high value watches without an additional itemized rider.

As with all insurance, check fine print on what is actually covered and the deductable. You can lower rates significantly but you may find you are not actually covered when something happens.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:43 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
You’re a Rolex man! Get the insurance. It’s a flex when you say how much your premiums are. Met many a woman this way and closed many big money (millions) deals.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:43 PM   #11
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

A safe can be very effective against opportunistic thieves (and of course fire)--e.g., someone posing as a laborer and getting into one or two homes in a neighborhood but not targeting you specifically (and with no advance knowledge that you have a safe).

For a sophisticated thief with advance knowledge that you have a safe, it's only a matter of time before they're into it.

So I'm in favor of a decent safe to stop the opportunistic thief, but I also understand that even a good safe is relatively easily to defeat.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:21 PM   #12
Mountain
"TRF" Member

What about an external safety deposit box at a bank or security company?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:28 PM   #13
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Safe big enough that can't be carried. Very, very rare for thieves to spend more than 5 minutes in a house. Most want easily carried out items and don't want to screw with a 500 lb safe.

Get insurance...you are looking at probably $1000-1500 for your collection.

Personally, my thoughts are the insurance will cover if stolen, so a safe, although nice to have, isn't really necessary if they are insured.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 10:30 PM   #14
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
You’re a Rolex man! Get the insurance. It’s a flex when you say how much your premiums are. Met many a woman this way and closed many big money (millions) deals.
by flexing your insurance premium?
Old 22 March 2023, 10:47 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Your insurance premium depends largely on your location and if you have other home security.

Here, I was paying roughly 2% on my collection and quickly tired of the premiums.

I keep most mine in the bank (I know doesn’t work for you).

Last I also have a location that no one knows about … you’d have to be a psychic to find it

Personally I think safes make the owner feel better, but largely are just an easy target for a thief … now know where the valuables are
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 10:55 PM   #16
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Amsec Tl-15 or 30 is a real safe
after a quick research, i found
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tracker-...HS40/316472838
and
https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...-and-fire-safe

Tracker safe doesn't necessarily say it's TL 15. But the description sounds like it's a very strong safe.
What do you think?
Old 22 March 2023, 11:24 PM   #17
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I’d get a serious safe to start. The chances of getting your entire collection stolen with a real safe, alarm, cameras and other safety measures is pretty slim. Having a watch stolen off your wrist or lost is far more likely. You can probably bump your homeowners policy for jewelry to cover your most expensive watch and be adequately protected. A real safe is going to run you at least $1k and probably double that.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 11:51 PM   #18
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Debating on Insurance/safe

Quote:
and

Tracker safe doesn't necessarily say it's TL 15. But the description sounds like it's a very strong safe.
What do you think?

12 gauge steel is not very burglar resistant. A fire or pick axe will go through anything that isn't at least 10 gauge very easily.

Hollon brand at safe and vault is your best bet at this price point. Buy the biggest you can afford at the rating and be sure to bolt it down. It's worthless against removal by simple hand truck / dolly if not bolted down.

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...lar-fire-safes
Old 23 March 2023, 12:13 AM   #19
Ballzzz

No..

This -- https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/co...ratch-and-dent

No Electronic Locks

Quote:
and

What do you think?
Old 23 March 2023, 12:27 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
by flexing your insurance premium?
The anchor (brass, shapely) on my yacht ‘My 904 Elle’ has an insurance premium of 50k.

You can imagine how curious people are to see the rest of her when they’re done complaining about their Jewelers Mutual (rich guy belly bass laugh)
Old 23 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #21
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
some of them have re locker if someone tried to break in. so i assume those are ok with electronic lock?
Old 23 March 2023, 04:31 AM   #22
Ballzzz

Quote:
some of them have re locker if someone tried to break in. so i assume those are ok with electronic lock?
group 1 or 1R is good but still would steer clear of electronics
Old 23 March 2023, 04:41 AM   #23
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Interestingly I owned 2 businesses in buildings that were once banks and had walk in vaults. And in one of them I had someone remove the door and the threshold and turned the room into a darkroom. So maybe that's why I hate them.

My preferred watch storage in my home is a hiding in plain sight setup. I don't even have insurance on my watches. If someone breaks in I doubt they'd find them.

Personally I wouldn't want to store watches in a bank because I can't image having to go to a different location just to wear one of my watches.

I guess a safe is fine if you want some heavy monster in your house or want a place to store other stuff besides watches.

In the OPs case, I probably just get different insurance and a watch hiding place and if he has an alarm system, he's pretty well covered.
Old 23 March 2023, 04:47 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You sound like you’re going to be concerned either way. I’d spring for the insurance on any piece you can’t stomach losing and rest easy. Even if you spring 2k in a safe you’ll likely still be worried about it. Jmho
Old 23 March 2023, 05:55 AM   #25
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

If you're in Auburn Hills, just keep it away from Pistons players.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 10:21 AM   #26
7sins
"TRF" Member

A bit of an outside the box idea but I have multiple safes in my home for decoys. In each safe is some cash, one has my passport then I have a watchbox with 6 replica watches in the main safe. No thief would be able to tell the difference, only a WIS at close inspection could tell. Thus if I am ever at gunpoint, I suppose probable in LA these days, I can take them to the safe and give them a few hundred dollars of items. If they break in while I am away, they would get away with perceived value until they went to sell them. Unless someone from TRF tries to rob me now lol.

I keep my real watches, gold bars, jewelry etc a significant value in a small hidden fire proof secure box.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 10:27 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
A bit of an outside the box idea but I have multiple safes in my home for decoys. In each safe is some cash, one has my passport then I have a watchbox with 6 replica watches in the main safe. No thief would be able to tell the difference, only a WIS at close inspection could tell. Thus if I am ever at gunpoint, I suppose probable in LA these days, I can take them to the safe and give them a few hundred dollars of items. If they break in while I am away, they would get away with perceived value until they went to sell them. Unless someone from TRF tries to rob me now lol.

I keep my real watches, gold bars, jewelry etc a significant value in a small hidden fire proof box.

Jeebus! This is an exorbitant amount of work, memorization, and ™ infringement to own some watches.

My insurance and armed guards just handle all this for me.
Old 23 March 2023, 02:22 PM   #28
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Fire-Safe Business Safe offers 60 percent bigger bolts and a pry-resistant hinge bar to provide additional security while maintaining the same great standards in fire and water protection. Electronic lock and key, locking drawer and interior light make accessing your important documents and valuables easier than ever. Safe is ETL-verified 15' Drop Test, ETL-verified for one-hour fire protection of CDs and DVDs up to 1700 degrees Fahrenheit and ETL-verified for water-resistance in up to 8" of water for up to 24 hours. Bolt-down hardware is included for extra security.

Im currently renting a townhouse so im not so sure if i can bolt it down. Im planning to move out in a year though.

Cheapest i found so far. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fire-and-...White/34410649
Those 15 minutes involve an experienced two-man crew who have schematics of the safe, and virtually every power tool available and at their disposal. It is designed to mimic the worst possible situation of a multi-person team who are the absolute best at breaching safes. High-security safes are routinely paired with alarm systems and the safe is then buying time for the response. A TL-15 presents a formidable challenge.

This video shows the extreme intensity of the attack a safe must withstand to attain a TL-15/TL-30 rating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860
(Don't mind the silly music)
(Safes with TL-15x6 or TL-30x6 must withstand an attack to all 6 sides.)

The Sentry you have is indeed effectively a locking box with fire protection. Basic hand tools will rapidly defeat it. If subjected to an attack as the one shown above, it would literally be sawed in half almost instantaneously.

If your goal is to spend under $1,000, I would recommend shopping used. Local locksmiths often sell used safes, as do a few companies. Often you can get very nice safes for huge discounts this way and, in some situations, you may then want to refinish them after buying.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 09:07 PM   #29
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post

I keep my real watches, gold bars, jewelry etc a significant value in a small hidden fire proof secure box.
that was what i wanted to do as well, having multiple decoys. Where did you get the replica watches that's good that you can only tell by close inspection?
Old 23 March 2023, 09:10 PM   #30
Whoisthis
"TRF" Member

So i found out that Credit Union also offers deposit boxes. The other big banks weren't offering deposit boxes because they stopped the service or full.

I see there are different companies for Credit Union. Are they all safe as far as holding my valuables?
Do you guys insure the watches that you keep in the deposit box?
I was thinking like put half of the collection in the deposit box, not insured, and spread out the other half in the house in the safe, hiding, and such ( these would be insured)