The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 February 2018, 07:49 AM   #1
storm66
"TRF" Member

Being drawn to a Panerai

I’m a watch lover but haven’t added a Panerai to my collection......any suggestions?
My passion seems to be vintage as I’ve a Daytona, Red Sub, GMT and a Speedy.
I like the winder protector on the Panerai’s and have noticed some movements are auto’s and some manual, and others have crystal glass or Perspex!
Bit of a mine field!..... got a budget of £3500 ish.....
Any suggestions please
Cheers
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 07:56 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I tried on lots of them. Couldn’t find a Radiomir to work, but a manual wind (slimmer than auto) Luminor 44 was perfect. The Panerai guys here recommended Base and Sandwich dial as a first. I found a limited edition base with a sausage dial which I love. One thing I realised was the straps take a few weeks to soften and once they have, if the watch fits it’s perfect. Become my favourite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 58CE2FD2-8CF8-491E-B83A-80D98F332726.jpeg (190.9 KB, 408 views)
Old 17 February 2018, 07:59 AM   #3
storm66
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch!
Old 17 February 2018, 11:08 AM   #4
nick c
Banned

How about Pam 000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 11:29 AM   #5
lcandela7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos/Pam560/Spe
I got the Pam560 for a few reasons. Classic base dial, no small seconds - no date. Straight 12-3-6-9 and beautiful carved out indices of the sandwich dial. 8 day reserve is a blessing. Wearing a rotation, it can be a pain to have to reset daily. 8 day movement allows you to wind once a week and be done with it.

lcandela7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 05:52 PM   #6
storm66
"TRF" Member

Wow.......so much to learn.......thanks all of you!
Old 18 February 2018, 01:20 AM   #7
GT500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I tried on lots of them. Couldn’t find a Radiomir to work, but a manual wind (slimmer than auto) Luminor 44 was perfect. The Panerai guys here recommended Base and Sandwich dial as a first. I found a limited edition base with a sausage dial which I love. One thing I realised was the straps take a few weeks to soften and once they have, if the watch fits it’s perfect. Become my favourite.

That strap looks familiar

GT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 01:21 AM   #8
GT500
"TRF" Member

Old 18 February 2018, 03:38 AM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 View Post

I got it from a reliable and upstanding member of trf from across the pond
Old 18 February 2018, 03:38 AM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 View Post

Actually, it’s a chocolate brown one!!
Old 18 February 2018, 03:39 AM   #11
GT500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I got it from a reliable and upstanding member of trf from across the pond

Thanks for the kind words man!!

Old 18 February 2018, 09:16 AM   #12
Marba
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515
Luminor 3 days Destro 557 47mm is a nice one

Marba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:38 PM   #13
casa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
here's how i did it

Ah yes I was in a similar situation recently, wanting a panerai but confused by the similar looking models. Actually I am still bewildered by the choices of panerai, but let me see if I can help you out with just the most obvious differences. This is what I have learned so far, and I am by no means an expert, but please, paneristis, correct me if I am wrong.

It seems you have narrowed your choice down at least to a “luminor” – the one with the winder protector or crown guard. The other type is a “radiomir” - big crown, but no protector – which was the original design of panerai and since you are attracted to vintage models, might also be of interest.

Many here have suggested a “base” model – the one without any complications, not even a seconds hand. The other choice is a “marina” - the one with the small seconds hand. Other complications exists of course but for a first panerai simplicity is the key.

Another thing to consider is size – the more common being 42mm, 44mm, 45mm, and 47mm; the most recommended is 44mm. You also have a choice as to whether you want a display back, manual wind versus auto (manual winds tend to be slightly thinner) and choice of case material (SS, titanium, precious metals).

A more subtle but no less significant difference exist between dials – “sandwiched” dials are made with the numbers cut out of the dial and luminous material beneath on a lower plate, giving a nice recessed 3D appearance to the numbers. “Sausage” dials have the luminous material thickly painted on the dial itself.

The movements will also differ: there was ETA and these can be found on the older models; the newer ones have “in house movements”.

Personally I focused on looking for a 44mm base model with a sandwich dial, a display back preferably showing a movement decorated with Geneva stripes, and manual wind. I thought I was looking for a 112 but the ones I saw on the used market were never right (“buy the seller”, “too good to be true”, too old, too polished, etc). But I also got to try on different models like the submersible and even the new duo models and while they did get my attention, the connection just wasn’t there. But then at an AD I got to try on a brown dialed titanium model and I was instantly hooked. I couldn’t care less about “sandwiches” or “decorations” – I just fell in love with that chocolate dial and the lightness of the case just felt right at home on my wrist.

And that’s how I suggest you go about your hunt. Read up and look at the things you feel are important to you and then go and try on some models. When you develop that connection go for it, nothing else will matter and every time you strap on the watch it will always put a smile on your face.
casa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:01 PM   #14
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa View Post
Ah yes I was in a similar situation recently, wanting a panerai but confused by the similar looking models. Actually I am still bewildered by the choices of panerai, but let me see if I can help you out with just the most obvious differences. This is what I have learned so far, and I am by no means an expert, but please, paneristis, correct me if I am wrong.

It seems you have narrowed your choice down at least to a “luminor” – the one with the winder protector or crown guard. The other type is a “radiomir” - big crown, but no protector – which was the original design of panerai and since you are attracted to vintage models, might also be of interest.

Many here have suggested a “base” model – the one without any complications, not even a seconds hand. The other choice is a “marina” - the one with the small seconds hand. Other complications exists of course but for a first panerai simplicity is the key.

Another thing to consider is size – the more common being 42mm, 44mm, 45mm, and 47mm; the most recommended is 44mm. You also have a choice as to whether you want a display back, manual wind versus auto (manual winds tend to be slightly thinner) and choice of case material (SS, titanium, precious metals).

A more subtle but no less significant difference exist between dials – “sandwiched” dials are made with the numbers cut out of the dial and luminous material beneath on a lower plate, giving a nice recessed 3D appearance to the numbers. “Sausage” dials have the luminous material thickly painted on the dial itself.

The movements will also differ: there was ETA and these can be found on the older models; the newer ones have “in house movements”.

Personally I focused on looking for a 44mm base model with a sandwich dial, a display back preferably showing a movement decorated with Geneva stripes, and manual wind. I thought I was looking for a 112 but the ones I saw on the used market were never right (“buy the seller”, “too good to be true”, too old, too polished, etc). But I also got to try on different models like the submersible and even the new duo models and while they did get my attention, the connection just wasn’t there. But then at an AD I got to try on a brown dialed titanium model and I was instantly hooked. I couldn’t care less about “sandwiches” or “decorations” – I just fell in love with that chocolate dial and the lightness of the case just felt right at home on my wrist.

And that’s how I suggest you go about your hunt. Read up and look at the things you feel are important to you and then go and try on some models. When you develop that connection go for it, nothing else will matter and every time you strap on the watch it will always put a smile on your face.

That’s great advice and I fully agree.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:31 PM   #15
storm66
"TRF" Member

Thanks casa!
Great advice.......I’ll track a few down and try some on.....the sandwich dial does appeal
Old 18 February 2018, 10:13 PM   #16
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
That’s great advice and I fully agree.
I think I went through the same thing. Once I saw the gold hands against tobacco dial on my 390 I didn’t worry about exhibition back (who sees it anyway), or sandwich dial.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:01 PM   #17
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the 005 or 111 but the 000 is also a fine watch. I prefer the second hand. The strap game for Panerai is strong and can really change up the watch. I own a 422 as a one and only for the brand and could not be more pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170924_084049_645.jpg (104.6 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by 1William; 18 February 2018 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:55 AM   #18
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent advice Carlos. I have just noticed over the last couple of the weeks that the new Luminor Logo models, they are very affordable. On Panerai website, look under SIHH, Discover More, 774-777 models. Take a look and more importantly, try them on. Once they become available, I would say May/June. I have 561, white dial, 8 days.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:14 AM   #19
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
A few years back ,I enjoyed a Panerai daily for over a year and I loved it. I had other watches but couldn't take it off.

So, my search went similar to yours at first, the where to begin type feeling. I tried on and researched all their models. Prices can be 2x-3x other models. Sizes from 42mm-47mm. Dressy-sporty.

I went with the PAM24 submersible. There are so many models, there is something for everyone. Straps are fun to change too. The lugs have a spring depress to allow easy switching of straps.

Enjoy the search, let us know what you find!
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:36 AM   #20
stockae92
"TRF" Member

i like manual Luminor, 44mm to be specific, one of these would be my suggestion :)

stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 07:03 AM   #21
chris nyc
2024 Pledge Member

what model is the white dial?

Gone but not forgotten: PAM 233, PAM 1389, PAM 690, PAM 654, PAM 176, PAM 000, PAM 312, PAM 305, PAM 422, Rolex DSSD, Rolex TT Sub Bluesy
chris nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 07:04 AM   #22
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Thats a PAM114, which is the base.

113 would be the one with small running second hand at 9
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:37 PM   #23
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
I took the unconventional, white dial approach to my first Panerai. I chose the 1499.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:35 AM   #24
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The 5 standard Panerai styles.
Radiomir (wire lugs)
Radiomir 1940
Luminor
Luminor 1950
Luminor Due (latest version thinner case)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote