The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 26 November 2014, 02:05 PM   #61
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Zodiac Seawolf
If I was so inclined to purchase a quartz diver for over $2K, I would opt for the Sinn UX, oil filled case, Submarine Steel, Tegimented bezel, 5000m WR, Chronometer Grade HAQ quartz movement, 7 years battery.

Not only technologically more advanced, it is unique, and it certainly won't be confused with a $300 Seiko dive watch like this Grand Seiko will.

Charles Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 03:13 PM   #62
Quotron
"TRF" Member

The only problem with the Sinn UX is the oil filled case is probably more hassel than it's worth.
Quotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 03:37 PM   #63
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ford View Post
and it certainly won't be confused with a $300 Seiko dive watch like this Grand Seiko will.
Ahh, yess. This is what is most important, indeed.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 04:20 PM   #64
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

This has been a very interesting discussion but since the original post the main thought in my head still is that I'd love to see a white dial Submariner.
Old 27 November 2014, 04:10 PM   #65
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

New Grand Seiko Quartz Diver: Your Thoughts?

Sorry. The Seiko has a superior Quartz movement to that Sinn.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 04:47 PM   #66
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
I have no problem with paying that for a high end Quartz, as I believe there is room for a HAQ in any collection.

Personally, while I am a HUGE Grand Seiko fan, I just couldn't do those models, for reasons that others might not share with me.

One... I absolutely can't do a ticking second hand. It drives me nuts lol. For that reason, I bought a Breitling Aerospace to scratch my HAQ itch.

Two... I've seen those and I tried them on. I live 4 miles from a GS AD, so I'm there quite often. I just cannot agree with the bezel. The font is just wrong to my eyes and regardless of the angle I looked it it, it just wasn't right.

In summary, i would pay 3700 or even more for a HAQ Grand Seiko, but not for this one. if I did, it would be the gorgeous Self Dater homage.

Too bad I can't get over the second hand.

That is a cool watch!
I'm not too fond of the new divers either, I prefer a cheap 7s26 powered skx diver, they're sooo much fun.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 04:49 PM   #67
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Hard to beat the Monster as well. I wear the crap out of mine.

Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2014, 07:07 AM   #68
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ford View Post

Not only technologically more advanced, it is unique, and it certainly won't be confused with a $300 Seiko dive watch like this Grand Seiko will.

I would respectfully disagree. I loved the U1 when I owned it but Sinn divers have almost a toyish look to them. Not saying the GS wouldn't be perceived as a cheap watch but I'd go for any GS based on aesthetics.

I suppose both tie in having to go back to their respected motherships for service as RGM won't service an oil filled case.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2015, 04:08 AM   #69
phm14
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I realize this thread is not new, but could't resist sharing this excellent write up on the 9F movement, as it is germane to this discussion and should be read by anyone considering a 9F. It redefined the respect I have for the brand, and educated me on the uniqueness, lack of awareness and subsequent market undervalue of theses pieces. I negotiated a price of $2800. direct from Japan on the white dial version. It is far less common and expensive than my SubC ND, and has significant performance advantages. I looked at the Sinn, but the battery in the GS is user serviceable, where the Sinn must be sent to Germany. I prefer the GS in every regard to the Sinn.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/not...l#post15188194
As far as it being confused with a $200. diver...why be concerned with the confusion of the uneducated? I wear a piece like this because I respect it, not because I believe the misconception that jewelry can earn one respect from others.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 07:25 AM   #70
j1crimmins
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, IWC
I love mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
j1crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 07:36 AM   #71
tommy91
"TRF" Member

No!!
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2015, 08:59 AM   #72
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Seems like a lot for a quartz watch
I agree, you're not far from a non date sub c at that price range, I would add some cash, but I am not a quartz fan at all...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 12:05 AM   #73
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
It's ok but appears less expensive than it is. Could be confused for an Invicta (my PO was once).

I don't think the hands in particular fit the design. Something along the lines of the ploproff hands seem more appropriate.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2015, 03:33 PM   #74
Jannal
"TRF" Member

I have owned many sport Rolex in the past, even the the Oyster Quartz 17000.
I like the idea of a high end quartz movement, they are much more accurate than a mechanical version.
I asked myself why pay thousand of dollars on mechanical watches that don't keep accurate time? Not to mention expensive servicing cost.
It seems that many people (including myself) are brand oriented/brain washed, due to the fact that many watch manufacturers spend millions on advertising eg. Rolex.
I have read many reviews online about Grand Seiko, some good some bad. IMO I think they are very nice watches in terms of design and build quality. Not only they are reasonably priced, but for the quartz version they only need servcing every 50 years, that's unbelievable.
To show you guys I faith in Grand Seiko I have ordered/waiting delivery of a Grand Seiko SBGT035, quartz movement of course. I will post some pics later.
Almost forgot about your original question, the divers watch. I like them both, I would like the white dial even more if only the min/hour hands were coloured black to give more contrast. I may consider selling my PAM and get the black dial version
Seiko: SBGX117 / SBGX335 / 7548 / SNE543P1
Jannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 11:33 AM   #75
Jannal
"TRF" Member

As promised, SBGT035
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBGT035a.jpg (50.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg SBGT035b.jpg (46.3 KB, 133 views)
Old 5 May 2016, 11:36 AM   #76
Jannal
"TRF" Member

Recently purchased, 2nd hand. SBGX117
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201604 (32) SBGX117.jpg (60.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 201604 (34) SBGX117.jpg (48.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 19 May 2016, 04:59 PM   #77
Ty Arnold
"TRF" Member

How much better can the Grand Seiko quartz be compared to other quartz. For example I have heard many times that a Carter tank has a very good quartz movement. How much better can a GS quartz be when compared to say a Cartier quartz?
Ty Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 05:20 PM   #78
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Good part? - No nonsense grab-n-go diver/casual watch with amazing accuracy, don't need to set time or adjust until your battery replacement.
If you want accuracy pretty much any quartz movement will give you as good, ok maybe in 1 month will be off by 3 seconds and this one by 0 or 1, but 3.7k for a quartz???
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 07:19 PM   #79
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Arnold View Post
How much better can the Grand Seiko quartz be compared to other quartz. For example I have heard many times that a Carter tank has a very good quartz movement. How much better can a GS quartz be when compared to say a Cartier quartz?
The GS 9F is probably the best quartz movement ever made, with accuracy under +-10 seconds per year (compare with the usual +-1 sec per day of a normal quartz) but this is just one of the features of the movement.

The quartz crystals are grown in house by Seiko and all the best are chosen to be used on the GS movements, after they have aged to ensure the best stability.

The part of the movement that governs the hands is special too, ensuring that they are extremely stable and don't "flicker" when they jump from one second to the next. Also, the high torque allows the use of heavier hands, which are faceted and polished by hand.

The date changes in a 2000th of a second, the faster movement available today on the market.

The battery hatch is separated from the movement, which instead is sealed and does not require a service for about 50 years.

AFAIK, none of these qualities are applicable to the Cartier quartz movement. If they use the ETA SuperQuartz they can be COSC certified, as Breitling does with all their quartz watches, but all the other features I mentioned above (and I'm sure I forgot many others) are exclusive to the Grand Seiko line.

You can have a look here: http://www.grand-seiko.com/movement/quartz.php
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 09:39 PM   #80
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I like it, I'd get one. I have a GS Quartz, cost me two thousand quid, value for money? In my eyes, definitely, I rotate it with my GS High Beat, Sinn and Rolex Sub. Could it be mistaken for a cheap $100 Seiko? Possibly by some, but I don't give a toss, I bought it for me and am confident in my own success. Others can look down on it. But they are the one's that don't know, that is quite satisfying for me in it's own right.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote