The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 6 September 2012, 05:50 AM   #61
Resawang
"TRF" Member

I already saw My friends gs... Amazingly... Thats watch is very2 good in finishing... Very smooth... And very perfect in every detail...
Now i am understand why this watch have a high price... Very artistic...
This watch will be my next wishlist...
Old 7 September 2012, 02:38 AM   #62
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
i think that the gs seikos are great, and i definatly have one on my wishlist.
Old 14 September 2012, 01:49 PM   #63
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Great looking watch and IMHO one of the finest mechanical movements made today.The Hi beat is very accurate like all the high end Seiko range,and tested to a higher standard than the Swiss COSC.But afraid today many just wear a brand and see Seiko as a lesser brand which its definitely not.And IMHO its a better watch and movement than many of the high end Swiss mass produced watches today.Now the Seiko Grand they are hand built to a very high standard, and many today have no idea about movements in general. Plus many have no idea even how a mechanical movement works and only wear a name on the dial.
Agree 100%.

I got to handle a few, a high beat, dual time, and a normal auto. I couldn't see the finish because it was covered in plastic but I could tell that the watches are of an extremely high caliber (no pun intended). Definitely better than Rolex.

Arguably, the best value to quality ratio available today. It's just a huge shame that Seiko made a name for itself in the extreme low end and 99% of the consumers still see them as a low end company and not the innovative giants they really are.

I wonder how it would've been if Seiko went the Lexus > Toyota or Infinity > Nissan route? I suspect that if they had rebranded the GS, they would've sold better outside Japan.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 14 September 2012, 09:12 PM   #64
Farnsy
Banned

Watch: Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeemjack View Post
How could anyone pay top marque watch money...for a seiko!! This is madness. It's a Japanese watch for gods sake! I don't care how nicely it's finished, its a seiko at the end of the day. It's like spending 100k on a 'Grand Toyota', you can tell people its as good as a Ferrari till you are blue in the face but they will just laugh at you...
lol damn laaamejack... these guys were prepared for you. Came in the thread and got jumped by all the seiko lovers and now you're banned lmao

I gotta admit all these grand seiko pictures everyone is posting is turning me on...
Old 14 September 2012, 09:16 PM   #65
Farnsy
Banned

Watch: Breitling
Now if we are asking Rolex or Grand Seiko... which is the question, I'd still say Rolex all the way, in every way. That's my opinion. Not that the seiko isn't as good, it is, and it's an amazing watch, and better value.. But Rolex has the name which matters to some people, not to others. I still like how Rolex looks better, and the crown logo is just boss (lol). But you say you already have a rolex, so there ya go, add a seiko to the collection and be happy, great watch. I love everything japanese, especially the women! I may grab a GS... one day! But I gotta save for a breitling navitimer or montbrillant first
Old 3 October 2012, 09:08 AM   #66
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsy View Post
Now if we are asking Rolex or Grand Seiko... which is the question, I'd still say Rolex all the way, in every way. That's my opinion. Not that the seiko isn't as good, it is, and it's an amazing watch, and better value.. But Rolex has the name which matters to some people, not to others. I still like how Rolex looks better, and the crown logo is just boss (lol). But you say you already have a rolex, so there ya go, add a seiko to the collection and be happy, great watch. I love everything japanese, especially the women! I may grab a GS... one day! But I gotta save for a breitling navitimer or montbrillant first
Rolex only beats Grand Seiko in 2 aspects: Resale and Service.

Actually, Rolex beats everybody in those two categories, so its no surprise. As for quality, pricing and innovation, Grand Seiko hands down. If GS was from a known Swiss brand, it would sell upwards of $10,000 for their basic auto. If Rolex was a Japanese brand, it would sell for less than GS now.

Won't talk about style because that's subjective.

But, if I were to pick between the two, I would still go with Rolex. Servicing is very important to me and I understand GS service is costly. Rolex, on the other hand charges very reasonably and they're quick.

Old 3 October 2012, 09:44 AM   #67
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko's are an awesome watch, but it would be highly unlikely they'd be anyone's first nice watch. People looking to get into a luxury watch would go for a luxury brand first. ie Rolex. Then another Rolex. And another. Then they might consider an AP, a PP, perhaps a VC or a Lange. At that stage, they're mature enough to appreciate a Grand Seiko.

Just my opinion :-)
Old 3 October 2012, 01:48 PM   #68
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Re:

I wouldn't say Rolex beats everyone in service (nor PP or ALS for resale) but in the service field, they won't service watches over 50 years old. This can be a major concern if you want to pass down or were passed down a watch from one generation to the next.

The service is top notch, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it has everybody beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Rolex only beats Grand Seiko in 2 aspects: Resale and Service.

Actually, Rolex beats everybody in those two categories, so its no surprise. As for quality, pricing and innovation, Grand Seiko hands down. If GS was from a known Swiss brand, it would sell upwards of $10,000 for their basic auto. If Rolex was a Japanese brand, it would sell for less than GS now.

Won't talk about style because that's subjective.

But, if I were to pick between the two, I would still go with Rolex. Servicing is very important to me and I understand GS service is costly. Rolex, on the other hand charges very reasonably and they're quick.

Old 3 October 2012, 03:18 PM   #69
honitel

Watch: Rolex
I like strap that blends and make the watch even attractive like yours Ran.
Old 3 October 2012, 05:12 PM   #70
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
I wouldn't say Rolex beats everyone in service (nor PP or ALS for resale) but in the service field, they won't service watches over 50 years old. This can be a major concern if you want to pass down or were passed down a watch from one generation to the next.

The service is top notch, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it has everybody beat.
Sorry, I should've mentioned that I've only dealt with service centers in the Philippines, Singapore and HK and so far, in all three places, Rolex servicing has proven to be both timely, and very reasonably priced. For example, I had a crystal/bezel insert/gasket replacement, plus overhaul/buffing for a 16613 and all I was charged was about $380. I also brought in a YM and was quoted $240. Both jobs done in 2 weeks. In my opinion, that's excellent. Everybody else either charges much more or takes longer to get the job done.

But, you're right about the 50 year limit. It blows. Hopefully, a good parts manufacturer will start making viable parts for old Rolexes.

In terms of resale, again, I'm talking about the Rolex resale market in those countries mentioned and it has always been great. Even 2nd hand shops (in HK at least) are willing to buy any Rolex for 85% market value. Even AP gets a little less at about 80%. That's in second hand shops, if you sell on your own, you can get better deals. Of course, PP/ALS are better watches overall, but they're at a price that not everyone can afford here, and if there aren't that many takers to begin with, resale can and does suffer. (though I can't say with absolute certainty cause I've never had an ALS or PP).
Old 4 October 2012, 05:38 AM   #71
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

"(though I can't say with absolute certainty cause I've never had an ALS or PP)"

Me either - ah some day! (Though actually probably wouldn't get a PP, at that price I prefer the look of most of the ALS's more)
Old 4 October 2012, 08:30 AM   #72
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Great looking watch and IMHO one of the finest mechanical movements made today.The Hi beat is very accurate like all the high end Seiko range,and tested to a higher standard than the Swiss COSC.But afraid today many just wear a brand and see Seiko as a lesser brand which its definitely not.And IMHO its a better watch and movement than many of the high end Swiss mass produced watches today.Now the Seiko Grand they are hand built to a very high standard, and many today have no idea about movements in general. Plus many have no idea even how a mechanical movement works and only wear a name on the dial.
This is sad but true. Very few watches in the world are as "in house" as a Grand Seiko.
Old 4 October 2012, 09:28 AM   #73
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
"(though I can't say with absolute certainty cause I've never had an ALS or PP)"

Me either - ah some day! (Though actually probably wouldn't get a PP, at that price I prefer the look of most of the ALS's more)
Yeah by the time I can afford one, I'll probably be too old to even care. Haha

Old 4 October 2012, 11:16 AM   #74
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, I should've mentioned that I've only dealt with service centers in the Philippines, Singapore and HK and so far, in all three places, Rolex servicing has proven to be both timely, and very reasonably priced. For example, I had a crystal/bezel insert/gasket replacement, plus overhaul/buffing for a 16613 and all I was charged was about $380. I also brought in a YM and was quoted $240. Both jobs done in 2 weeks. In my opinion, that's excellent. Everybody else either charges much more or takes longer to get the job done.
If that was done by an authorised service centre, then it’s literally cheaper for me to fly there get my watch serviced and fly back.
Old 4 October 2012, 03:39 PM   #75
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome, congrats!!

Kinda late to the GS party but now that I'm here, sure am enjoying myself. Great pieces, outstanding value . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7995.jpg (91.1 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7999.jpg (77.6 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8000.jpg (71.0 KB, 326 views)
Old 4 October 2012, 04:15 PM   #76
caryyee
"TRF" Member

DRHR, which model is that in your second photo??? I really like that one!!
Old 5 October 2012, 05:55 PM   #77
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryyee View Post
DRHR, which model is that in your second photo??? I really like that one!!
Thanks!
top left SBGR019
top right SBGW031
bottom SBGW041
Old 5 October 2012, 08:14 PM   #78
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthene View Post
If that was done by an authorised service centre, then it’s literally cheaper for me to fly there get my watch serviced and fly back.
How much is it where you're from? And why would they price it differently?

Old 5 October 2012, 08:16 PM   #79
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Thanks!
top left SBGR019
top right SBGW031
bottom SBGW041
I like the first one, the SBGR019. I've never seen that kind of bracelet, is that new or is it an older model?

Old 6 October 2012, 02:23 AM   #80
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Thanks!
top left SBGR019
top right SBGW031
bottom SBGW041
Is there some logic to how they name watches? It seems like a random set of letters, followed by a random set of numbers, but I've never tried to figure it out. That's the only thing I dislike about Grand Seiko.
Old 6 October 2012, 02:25 AM   #81
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
How much is it where you're from? And why would they price it differently?

Because different markets have different levels of price elasticity. Any revenue maximizing firm will price different in different markets.
Old 6 October 2012, 02:59 AM   #82
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I like the first one, the SBGR019. I've never seen that kind of bracelet, is that new or is it an older model?

It's an older, discontinued model. Of the 3 that I own, it is the one that feels the most substantial from a heft/weight perspective, which I love. And the bracelet is awesome in terms of quality. Again, just feels heavier/more substantial, especially on the wrist. The SBGW041 came with both bracelet and strap, and while the bracelet is fine/comfortabale, it does not feel as good as the one on the 019. I use the black strap because it offsets/highlights the dial better in my opinion. . . .
Old 6 October 2012, 03:04 AM   #83
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Is there some logic to how they name watches? It seems like a random set of letters, followed by a random set of numbers, but I've never tried to figure it out. That's the only thing I dislike about Grand Seiko.
I'm not quite sure myself, being fairly new to the Seiko fan club. Never tried to figure it out either but seems to be very accurate when seeking information. As I was corresponding with the retailers/sellers, mentioning the piece by it's respective codes gets immediate/correct info (perhaps that can be said for every other manufacturer, I'm sure).
Old 6 October 2012, 03:10 AM   #84
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
I'm not quite sure myself, being fairly new to the Seiko fan club. Never tried to figure it out either but seems to be very accurate when seeking information. As I was corresponding with the retailers/sellers, mentioning the piece by it's respective codes gets immediate/correct info (perhaps that can be said for every other manufacturer, I'm sure).
I guess GS has forgone the use of standard names, and gone right to a more model-like naming scheme. It would be like Rolex selling the 16660 instead of the old Sea Dweller, or IWC selling the 3706 and 3717 model pilot chronographs. It is clear, but it does impose a bit of a hurdle to the person who doesn't know much about the brand.

They are lovely watches, and I hope they become more widely recognized (though not more expensive).
Old 6 October 2012, 03:47 AM   #85
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I guess GS has forgone the use of standard names, and gone right to a more model-like naming scheme. It would be like Rolex selling the 16660 instead of the old Sea Dweller, or IWC selling the 3706 and 3717 model pilot chronographs. It is clear, but it does impose a bit of a hurdle to the person who doesn't know much about the brand.

They are lovely watches, and I hope they become more widely recognized (though not more expensive).
They're certainly "grand" in every sense of the word. More recognition unfortunately will most likely mean higher prices . . . .
Old 7 October 2012, 01:54 AM   #86
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Having model numbers instead of names seems common to a lot of Japanese products, and I guess German for that matter too. Look at electronics. It's only a recent phenomenon that we are finally getting names for things. I guess it's a lot easier to find a number rather than pay a marketing dept for a name.
Old 19 January 2013, 10:04 PM   #87
Bozax
"TRF" Member

Amazing watch!!! I didn't have the balls to buy a Seiko and bought a Rolex for selling value but the Seiko movements are just superior! Congratz!
I might buy one soon too. And btw the Japanese are also well known for there excellent cars... Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA. Would be more then happy to own a GTR, it beats a Porsche 911 Turbo on all aspects in performance.
Old 24 February 2013, 12:03 AM   #88
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docar View Post
Compared the Datejust and this Grand Seiko .
Bought this and am comfortable with my decision...
Outstanding watch.

Im a Rolex fan but ill take that in titanium over any rolex dd any day. Any doubts, just put it on your wrist for a day for yourself, not to show how in fashion you are for others.
Old 10 March 2013, 01:56 PM   #89
cl63531
"TRF" Member

The GS is a fantastic timepiece, compared to a Rolex Datejust its a better built watch. The GS has a solid feel to it. The dial, the markers are polished to a brilliant shine. IMHO you can't go wrong with a GS for a watch, but if you want recognition go Rolex.
Old 10 March 2013, 11:22 PM   #90
Sean2000
"TRF" Member

I will said GS quality is on the top notch for that price point, I personally own a GS sbge001, rolex 216570 and 116660, I will said in term of quality it is better than my 2 rolex in some aspect, in fact the GS is on my wrist most of the time. This is just my own opinion.
Closed Thread