The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2015, 02:02 AM   #31
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Gorgeous watches!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 02:10 AM   #32
dera
"TRF" Member

I love Grand Seikos. The only thing I really couldn't stand on my SBGJ001 was that the date change took forever. It made it feel cheap.

I know it's a small detail, but still..
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 02:16 AM   #33
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Great watches, but burdened with China made bracelets.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 04:52 AM   #34
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Great watches, but burdened with China made bracelets.
You say that like the it’s a bad thing and the Swiss don’t do the same.
Again with the perceptions that everything that happens to be made in China is poor quality cheap tat.
No doubt you feel the same about your iPhone/iPad/etc?

Next time you’re looking over an Omega and getting that warm and fuzzy Swiss feeling, remember that in order to comply with “Swiss Made”, not all of it has to be manufactured in Switzerland – and the bracelet doesn’t even count towards the 60% by value!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 04:56 AM   #35
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I think they're great.

I'm always on the hunt for the right one, or King seiko older model. Was close on a late sixties King seiko recently...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 05:00 AM   #36
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Never owned one, but from everything I read, I am impressed with their quality.

However, I have yet to find a GS that appeals to my heart.
Old 17 October 2015, 05:32 AM   #37
PJ S
Banned

Maybe you need to spend a bit of time trying some on, seeing them in the flesh – http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/brands/grand-seiko
Dan’s a good lad, and has done some very decent reviews, which you’ll see in that section of their site.

For those in Arizona, check in with Joe at Arizona Fine Time, and for those in Florida, it seems Exquisite Timepieces has taken them on now.
Old 17 October 2015, 07:17 AM   #38
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
great watches

i agree that one would have to be very secure in themselves to buy one, similar to a JLC. anyone except the most secure person would ask themselves why they are buying a watch like this when they could get a gold Rolex with the money

not meant as a criticism of the brand at all but a compliment to the owner who recognises true quality over marketing and vanity

and BTW yes iPhone and iPad are mass produced disposable goods (obsolete in 2 years), no way luxury items but customers have been convinced that they are
Old 17 October 2015, 07:25 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I consider GS well made luxury time pieces. Great debate folks and even better pictures mokski
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 02:24 PM   #40
Frogman4me
Banned

Owned this one for many years. Solid as they come, incredible quality.

Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2015, 08:40 PM   #41
Marcela
"TRF" Member

Real pleasure to wear and own mine :-)
I would love to have few other models as well, if only my small wrist did not object
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1090100.jpg (125.3 KB, 340 views)
Old 18 October 2015, 03:47 AM   #42
PJ S
Banned

Lovely SBGR073, congrats.
Old 18 October 2015, 03:56 AM   #43
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Hi !

Grand Seiko?

From what I have read, In my opinion,

" it is a great watch to own, but a poor choice to brag around..."
most people will never appreciate how great that watch's brand division can be ...

Cheers !

MB
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:16 AM   #44
Marcela
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Lovely SBGR073, congrats.
Thank you very much
Old 18 October 2015, 08:08 PM   #45
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not a fan. Saw one of the divers up close and didn't like the "tuna can" stamped clasp or the lug holes on a watch that costs more than a Submariner. Visually, I found the hands ugly too.
Old 19 October 2015, 01:06 AM   #46
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
or the lug holes on a watch that costs more than a Submariner. Visually, I found the hands ugly too.
So how about a Submariner with lugholes, that costs more than a Submariner? :)
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 09:28 PM   #47
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
After hemming and hawing about buying a Polar EXP II to compliment my BLNR I just pulled the trigger on this hi-beat Grand Seiko GMT (SBGJ001). It is to arrive within the next day or two. There is a laundry list of pros and cons between the Polar and this but at the end of the day this Hi-Beat GMT sang to me and was able to pry open my wallet like the EXP II could not after months and months of trying. I'll let you know how it plays out.

Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 09:39 PM   #48
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
After hemming and hawing about buying a Polar EXP II to compliment my BLNR I just pulled the trigger on this hi-beat Grand Seiko GMT (SBGJ001). It is to arrive within the next day or two. There is a laundry list of pros and cons between the Polar and this but at the end of the day this Hi-Beat GMT sang to me and was able to pry open my wallet like the EXP II could not after months and months of trying. I'll let you know how it plays out.
Beautiful, congrats
Old 19 October 2015, 09:40 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hol View Post
What are your guys thoughts on Grand Seiko timepieces?
Afraid you just cannot compare a Seiko grand or Credor to the normal high street Seiko which most today are stereo typed to.And as much as I love Rolex,the build and quality in movement the Seiko Grand wins in all departments thats if many would take there Rolex glasses off.Trouble today many are stereo typed by a name, same for today many don't wear a watch they wear the brand name and in the real world know nothing about movements etc. Afraid any stigma with Seiko over the Seiko grand is only in that persons stereo typed head.Fantastic watches Grand Seikos are in a completely different league to the standard Seikos, and should not be spoken about in the same breath. Grand Seikos are hand made and the vintage ones wiped the floor with the major Swiss brands for accuracy before the COSC was formed in 1973.Now before the Swiss COSC was started they used to have Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than todays Swiss COSC. And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 94% pass the COSC test first time. Just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The others were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industryNow in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition.And it was ended by the Swiss in the early 1970s after two straight wins by the Japanese straight off the production line Seiko Grand watches.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.For a much higher standard than the COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated these tests in the late 1960s and the two preceding events. In 1972 some Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973.And thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 09:55 PM   #50
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Grand Seiko not Ferrari

I don't think it's fair to compare the high-end line Grand Seiko to a regular Seiko that's silly it's like comparing a Toyota to Lexis or maybe Honda and Acura, they have low and cars and high-end cars. Then you have brands like Mercedes and maybe Austin Martin Who only produce high-end cars it's exactly the same thing with watches. I consider the line to be at the same level as Tag. I will say Seiko was the watch I got for my late mother so it means more to me then all the other Rolex watches I have combined. But in fairness they are what they are not a Ferrari
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 10:57 PM   #51
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare the high-end line Grand Seiko to a regular Seiko that's silly it's like comparing a Toyota to Lexis or maybe Honda and Acura, they have low and cars and high-end cars. Then you have brands like Mercedes and maybe Austin Martin Who only produce high-end cars it's exactly the same thing with watches. I consider the line to be at the same level as Tag. I will say Seiko was the watch I got for my late mother so it means more to me then all the other Rolex watches I have combined. But in fairness they are what they are not a Ferrari
Oh no you di-int? Tag? I encourage you to do some more research.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 11:04 PM   #52
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post

beautiful watch! congrats.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 05:01 AM   #53
cl63531
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko's are beautiful watches it was one of my grail watches. IMHO they are comparable to any swiss made with in the same pricing. It's a watch that only watch geeks would appreciate and know about.
cl63531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 07:49 AM   #54
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Some quick pics of my SBGA109 -

Ran it for four months from new without letting it stop, gained 1 second. Not bad considering it's "only" specced to 0.5 seconds per day ;)
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 09:01 AM   #55
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Love my Grand Seiko !
A stunning watch. A Calatrava for the poor but finished to appeal to the most demanding individual

Old 20 October 2015, 11:16 AM   #56
inzite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mercedes is hardly highend these days... i would say the regular stainless modern rolex to be a b class or a class at most.

the next level up from gs on terms of overall quality and in the metal feeling is ap, pp, als and fpjourne and the likes... these would be the real high end cars...
inzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 12:16 PM   #57
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Love my Grand Seiko !

A stunning watch. A Calatrava for the poor but finished to appeal to the most demanding individual

That's one of my favorite Grand Seikos on a strap!!!

Beautiful!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 01:16 PM   #58
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Grand Seiko is he same level as Tag? Someone forgot to take their meds today....
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 01:30 PM   #59
EdipisReks
Banned

The Grand Seiko line has some beautiful, beautiful watches. Credo is beautiful, and about as nice as anything made. Those Hi-Beat GMTs are some of the classiest watches out there.
EdipisReks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 01:41 PM   #60
inzite
"TRF" Member

just have to see GS in the metal and with a loupe, if you look at a rollie with a loupe you'll probably put it up for sale soon :D

its only the 2nd day! by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

that splash of color #sbgj005 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr
inzite is offline   Reply With Quote