The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 13 March 2017, 02:45 AM   #61
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
SBGH001

Other than screwed links, just felt like a mid tier bracelet for Rolex money.

At least the high beat uses screwed links. The TI Snowflake SD has Pins! Pins! Not only that, but Seiko pins and collars which are abysmal.
Nothing wrong with pins, other than ease of removal (but how often will you really need to do this?) - plenty of brands use them. I would rate my GS bracelet on a par with current Rolex offerings, and much higher then the previous-gen Rolex bracelets and (in particular) clasps. However I would give the nod to the current Sub/DSSD Glidelock clasps.
Old 13 March 2017, 02:48 AM   #62
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Here is an example of quality, my SBGE021. It is 4 years old and has not had any issues. The bracelet quality is as good as any watch I own, short of the fabulous Rolex Submariner adjustable clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love that dial Kevin
Old 13 March 2017, 02:53 AM   #63
kevin_b1
"TRF" Member

Fantastic looking watch and well worth the money, will no doubt pick up a second GS at some point.

kevin_b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 05:57 AM   #64
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Whether or not a watch is worth the money you pay for it is subjective. Nobody can tell you whether or not it's worth it to you.

To me, Grand Seiko is definitely worth the price premium over "regular" Seiko. I happily paid asking price for my Snowflake.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 12:33 PM   #65
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Love that dial Kevin

Thank you Clive. It was certainly the hook that caught me.

Old 13 March 2017, 04:28 PM   #66
waspy1
Banned

Here's my latest - discontinued sbgw005. It's NOS from 2003 and the quality is amazing, particularly the bracelet which blows away pretty much any Swiss made bracelet from the same period. The bang for buck over Swiss / German pieces is frankly embarrassing.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 09:10 AM   #67
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Love that dial Kevin
I would definitely consider the GMT version of The Watch showing this picture that's a beautiful dial and bezel set up
Old 19 March 2017, 04:38 PM   #68
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR/Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
You are talking about Landmaster(SBDB015), right? That's the only model with Spring drive(in Prospex line) and not from Grand Seiko range.
Wait what? What about the Prospex Tuna Spring Drive - SBDB013?
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 04:42 PM   #69
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR/Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Whether or not a watch is worth the money you pay for it is subjective. Nobody can tell you whether or not it's worth it to you.

To me, Grand Seiko is definitely worth the price premium over "regular" Seiko. I happily paid asking price for my Snowflake.

Oh my gosh, fantastic pictures.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2017, 05:08 PM   #70
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman244 View Post
Oh my gosh, fantastic pictures.
Thanks, but trust me, it's not the photos...the watch is just that beautiful!
Old 22 March 2017, 01:39 PM   #71
madmax21
"TRF" Member

I was thinking of picking up a grand Seiko not sure which one yet what's your opinion guys should I pick one up through Amazon or online or get it at a dealer. I have already seen the watch in person where do you think I will get a better deal
Old 22 March 2017, 01:45 PM   #72
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
I was thinking of picking up a grand Seiko not sure which one yet what's your opinion guys should I pick one up through Amazon or online or get it at a dealer. I have already seen the watch in person where do you think I will get a better deal
Can you hold on to it for a day? Grand Seiko is doing revamp and removing the 'Seiko' logo from the watch and it'll be named just 'Grand Seiko' on the dial. It all changes Basel 2017!!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 09:53 AM   #73
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
Seiko is a good brand and I do own two of their prospex automatic watches. It is definitely a lot of watch for the $$$'s and well worth it to me. I had no idea they made such good timepieces.

That said I do own a couple rolex and a few more swiss brands...each with its own qualities that matter to me.... and my next watch will most likely be a grand seiko. Having tried out a couple, I am sold on what the GS has to offer.... the feel...the look... the fit.....Regardless of whether it says Seiko or Grand Seiko on it.

If I someday happen to wear a GS and no one recognizes it....as compared to almost everyone recognising the crown and cyclops on a metal bracelet on my wrist, it really doesn't matter as I know what I have and whatever I paid for it I believe is justified.

I would compare the rolex to tudor but owning both, I think they are not going to be a similar comparison as a grand seiko to a seiko automatic.... And they are all wonderful wristwatches.

Would recommend you try a preowned grand seiko and if your experience with the watch is a good one, you can always flip it and get yourself a brand new 2017 GS.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 09:57 AM   #74
Goin2drt
Banned

Me personally no way, it's still a Seiko.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 10:00 AM   #75
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Me personally no way, it's still a Seiko.
Lol @ such comments. It is priced higher than lot of Rolex divers!!

Checkout some watches - https://grand-seiko.us.com

https://grand-seiko.us.com/professionaldivers/
Old 26 March 2017, 10:08 AM   #76
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Lol @ such comments. It is priced higher than lot of Rolex divers!!

Checkout some watches - https://grand-seiko.us.com

https://grand-seiko.us.com/professionaldivers/
You made my point. OP asked if he thought it was worth the money. To me and only me it is not, they are still Seiko's.
Old 26 March 2017, 10:13 AM   #77
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You made my point. OP asked if he thought it was worth the money. To me and only me it is not, they are still Seiko's.
Good to know... I love to own some Credors... oops Seikos if they had Rolex prices!!

Old 26 March 2017, 10:16 AM   #78
Goin2drt
Banned

I get it. It was only my opinion. I could be the only one but he asked, I answered.
Old 26 March 2017, 10:20 AM   #79
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it. It was only my opinion. I could be the only one but he asked, I answered.
Yes but clubbing all watches as 'its still a seiko' is not a smart response. Seiko makes watches from $100 to $450K. That doesn't mean you'll club $100K watches with $100 watches as same just coz both belong to same parent company - Seiko!!
Old 26 March 2017, 01:54 PM   #80
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely right. This is a matter of opinion, so there is no right or wrong answer. I think a lot of people do feel as you do, which is probably why Seiko removed the Seiko logo from the dials of Grand Seikos.

I happen to love my GS and I actually feel like I got more than I paid for, but not everyone will feel that way. If everyone agreed, there would be no discussion!
Old 26 March 2017, 03:09 PM   #81
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to know... I love to own some Credors... oops Seikos if they had Rolex prices!!

Wow... that's incredible watch
Old 26 March 2017, 10:50 PM   #82
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko worth the money? Well, it makes sense for most it doesn't.

If we are just talking about the watch itself, yes, it is worth it. There are no watches with similar quality in the price range or even above it. All the hour/minute hand and indices are black polished, a finish you only see in very expensive Swiss watches. Sure, the movement are machine finished, but it's the same for Swiss brand. More expensive Rolex are machine finished. Even Pateks are machine finished (but to a more delicate level), which they showed proudly at their website.

But who wants to spend thousands of dollar on a GS when most people think you are just wearing a 500 dollar Seiko. All the qualities that a GS has is not apparent at first glance, very few will appreciate that the indices are diamond tip tool cut and black polished. They will just see the logo Seiko. With all sorts of devices around us that can tell time, watch is really just a self expression accessory, something most will want it to project status, which Seiko doesn't.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 12:56 AM   #83
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Absolutely right. This is a matter of opinion, so there is no right or wrong answer. I think a lot of people do feel as you do, which is probably why Seiko removed the Seiko logo from the dials of Grand Seikos.

I happen to love my GS and I actually feel like I got more than I paid for, but not everyone will feel that way. If everyone agreed, there would be no discussion!
Great post Dave. Very elegant and I agree with you 100%. In reality I find these treads on GS very interesting because you will always read two extreme opinions. One side claiming it's just a Seiko and the other side posting "horology lessons" and laughing at members that supposedly don't know enough about watches because they don't follow GS. Both sides are wrong IMO. I have a small collection of vintage Seiko and I love the brand and would love to add a vintage GS at one point. However, I need to priorize the other watches from other brands I'd like to get before investing my money on a modern GS, and that's nothing but my own personal choice.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:09 AM   #84
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
But who wants to spend thousands of dollar on a GS when most people think you are just wearing a 500 dollar Seiko. All the qualities that a GS has is not apparent at first glance, very few will appreciate that the indices are diamond tip tool cut and black polished. They will just see the logo Seiko. With all sorts of devices around us that can tell time, watch is really just a self expression accessory, something most will want it to project status, which Seiko doesn't.
Yes and Seiko has learnt hearing such complaints and now that Seiko logo has been removed from GS series. Hopefully now its worth the money!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=522810
Old 27 March 2017, 02:34 AM   #85
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes and Seiko has learnt hearing such complaints and now that Seiko logo has been removed from GS series. Hopefully now its worth the money!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=522810
I know, but it's like Lexus and Toyota, Lexus does very well, but it's never going to reach the stature of a BMW or Mercedes. Grand Seiko in the end is still a Seiko, they are great watches (I have one) but its not a Rolex.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:45 AM   #86
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I know, but it's like Lexus and Toyota, Lexus does very well, but it's never going to reach the stature of a BMW or Mercedes. Grand Seiko in the end is still a Seiko, they are great watches (I have one) but its not a Rolex.
But not every watch can be a Rolex. To put it in perspective.. GS Automatic and GS Spring Drive base prices are only $3600, which is retail and then you get good discount on them. I think that's a fabulous worth of money in that price segment and not many choices which can beat GS in its range.
Old 28 March 2017, 01:46 PM   #87
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But not every watch can be a Rolex. To put it in perspective.. GS Automatic and GS Spring Drive base prices are only $3600, which is retail and then you get good discount on them. I think that's a fabulous worth of money in that price segment and not many choices which can beat GS in its range.
Wow 3600 you can't touch one in Canada for under 6K
Old 28 March 2017, 06:55 PM   #88
regnant
"TRF" Member

Unless I happen to be watchsnob I can't justify the price for these no matter what.
Old 28 March 2017, 10:18 PM   #89
speedmaster73
Banned

To each their own. Some say its just a seiko. These same people would purchase anything with the name rolex on it because 'its a rolex'. Weird how the name magically changes the quality? But hey this is what rolex banks on....the consumer whos not in the loop and just wants the 'name'.

But yes. To each their own.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 07:28 AM   #90
madmax21
"TRF" Member

I think that's a good point, however I also believe that all the marketing and money spent on advertisement and so on makes the product more desirable and worth the money that you're paying.