The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 February 2019, 03:29 PM   #1
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko Vs Rolex Battle Royale

Hey Guys—

Many amongst us are saying Grand Seiko is taking the lead in terms of quality, accuracy, and value. I have not yet had the chance to handle a GS in the metal.

For those of you whom have had the chance, I’d love your take on how GS stacks up against Rolex.

Looking forward to tour thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey Guys—

Many amongst us are saying Grand Seiko is taking the lead in terms of quality, accuracy, and value. I have not yet had the chance to handle a GS in the metal.

For those of you whom have had the chance, I’d love your take on how GS stacks up against Rolex.

They’re great watches, no doubt, however; the only group that stacks up to Rolex is the horological field as a whole. Think Tiger Woods in his prime. And I say this an individual that respects many brands.
-ROBERT FROST

Last edited by Uppersouth; 6 February 2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Adding a thought
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 03:50 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

In short... Dollar for dollar I think GS makes a better watch objectively. But styling and brand perception is subjective and if someone wants to think Rolex is the ends all in horology, that's fine with me. To each their own.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Apples and oranges. To me they are not on the same playing field and there is little point in comparing them. I own both brands, they are both great, but if I could only have one watch it would be a Rolex.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As has been said, apples and oranges. It’s not an either/or analysis.

Great watches, especially in the sub-10k range. Styling is a subjective factor (only you can say). Worse GS resale is an objective factor (if that matters). GS finishing is objectively better, with Rolex bracelets and clasps being objectively better. More variety in GS movements.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:16 PM   #6
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Sure; I'll trade my Platona for this one...NOT!!

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga385g

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:24 PM   #7
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

As been mentioned....Grand Seiko is a fine timepiece. BUT it simply can't compare to Rolex. I've owned an MM300 and while it was a fine piece in its own right (often referred to as the Japanese Sub) I sold it after about 6 months as it just didn't make me smile like the Crown. YMMV
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Seibei
Banned

There are more Japanese watches than GS, if you want to go down that road. The Citizen Chronomaster is for example an amazing watch. Again, not playing the same game as Rolex.

https://citizen.jp/the-citizen/index.html

Old 6 February 2019, 04:26 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey Guys—

GS is a better watch IMO. Its not "a Rolex" though so its a situation where Rolex wins based on the power of their brand.

Finishing, cases, dials, hands GS is better. Comfort its a tie. Usability its a tie. Innovation GS wins because i think spring drive in particular is really cool. Brand name, Rolex wins in a landslide.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:32 PM   #10
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Someday I will add a GS to my watch collection. May be even two or more. But if I had to have only one watch, it would not be a GS.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:48 PM   #11
dreyep
Banned

Watch: 114270, 16570
If GS is ever winning, all Rolex have to do is rebrand themselves as Grand Rolex.
dreyep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:48 PM   #12
PublicAccountantSlav
"TRF" Member

Well in terms of accuracy, look at the facts. The spring drive is second to none. And the best part is, you can walk into and AD and buy the GS you want! Don’t get me wrong, Rolex is amazing, can’t go wrong with either brand.

PublicAccountantSlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:02 PM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Are we comparing watches or labels?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:03 PM   #14
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicAccountantSlav View Post
Well in terms of accuracy, look at the facts. The spring drive is second to none. k
Really? It is actually quite far from it.

Spring drive is controversial, some would say it is the best movement ever while others would say it is a pointless kludge. I find myself in the pointless kludge camp. If I want an advanced mechanical movement I will buy it. If I want an accurate quartz movement I will buy it. I am not interested in a watch that mixes these together and produces what to my mind is inferior to either a pure mechanical movement or a pure quartz.
Old 6 February 2019, 06:44 PM   #15
Scanspeakman
"TRF" Member

Yesterday I finally was able to try some GS models on. Very beautifully made. Attention to detail and finishing is amazing. Quality-wise it feels comparable to Rolex and other high end brands; its is clearly in a different league then the avarage Seiko. The sweeping hand of the spring drive is fantastic. The snowflake dail is amazing.

And.......I felt nothing. I got bored already after a few minutes. Hard to describe why. Maybe to classic design (if thats possible when on the other hand I love gmt masters, subs etc...). Of course this is very personal but GS is probably not for me.
Scanspeakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:07 PM   #16
CNDguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234/Speedy
These discussions never end well. That being said in my opinion GS makes a finer timepiece without a doubt.
CNDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:23 PM   #17
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
GS is better in all aspects of watchmaking. Design, marketing and a proper service network not yet
Old 6 February 2019, 09:28 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
GS is better in all aspects of watchmaking. Design, marketing and a proper service network not yet
I've said it before, but they are expanding their US dealer network and they don't seem to care how its displayed. It is displayed like a 3rd or 4th tier watch brand at a new GS AD i was recently in. Displayed like a TAG.... at a mall AD

If i didn't known what they were there is no way i would pay GS prices based on how they are displayed. There are all kinds of visual cues in an AD for someone who doesn't know anything about watches to let them know which ones are the nice ones. Dropped the ball on GS
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 6 February 2019, 09:31 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Grand Seiko is an amazing brand and the watches are of the highest quality and finish. I have just made a purchase of my first Grand Seiko and I have not been disappointed. It is the most accurate watch in my collection and a lot of fun to wear. With that said, Rolex is king for so many reasons and will always have me. I started more than 25 years ago with them and have never moved away. I have been happy with Rolex fit, finish and value. I do believe that both can exist in a collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190118_112735 (002).jpg (225.4 KB, 905 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:38 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
As has been said, apples and oranges. It’s not an either/or analysis.

Great watches, especially in the sub-10k range. Styling is a subjective factor (only you can say). Worse GS resale is an objective factor (if that matters). GS finishing is objectively better, with Rolex bracelets and clasps being objectively better. More variety in GS movements.
I very much agree brother

I’d throw Panerai into the mix too
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I very much agree brother

I’d throw Panerai into the mix too

Brian.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 09:47 PM   #22
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
this thread is definitely of interest to me! Might be making a move in this direction soon.

side note: why did this get moved to the Seiko section? I mean I get why it belongs in this section, but it started in the Rolex section and seems it belongs there just as much, no?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:13 PM   #23
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Can’t go wrong with either but I’ll say my SBGA387 gets more time than the BLNR right now. Value wise GS may be top in my book.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:25 PM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Apples and oranges. To me they are not on the same playing field and there is little point in comparing them. I own both brands, they are both great, but if I could only have one watch it would be a Rolex.

Sums up my thoughts as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:39 PM   #25
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Very different watches and brands. As a label, few if any watch brands can compare with Rolex. Whether or not such a distinction has any value is a personal decision; i cast no judgment either way. I will say Rolex seems to have a vastly superior service network both in the US and around the world. Service is an area where Grand Seiko really needs to step-up their game.

As a watch, Grand Seiko timepieces are made in smaller number with less automation. They have a much different aesthetic than Rolex. It’s sort of like comparing Jaeger Le Coultre to Rolex: a collection would do well to have both. I like the options Grand Seiko provides in terms of quartz, automatic, mechanical and Spring Drive. There’s something for everyone at a consistently high level of quality.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:40 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
this thread is definitely of interest to me! Might be making a move in this direction soon.

side note: why did this get moved to the Seiko section? I mean I get why it belongs in this section, but it started in the Rolex section and seems it belongs there just as much, no?
in the Rolex section its far more its not a Rolex so its not as good discussion IMO. I think its the least objective forum/subform when comparing brands
Old 6 February 2019, 11:04 PM   #27
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
in the Rolex section its far more its not a Rolex so its not as good discussion IMO. I think its the least objective forum/subform when comparing brands
generally speaking I tend to agree with you about it being the least objective subforum, but after many years I've observed almost nothing but praise for GS in the Rolex section.

Of course you are likely to get input from more experienced and enthusiastic GS fans in this forum, but I'd argue that the exposure alone in the Rolex forum would make for a deeper conversation.

Anyhow, I'm interested in GS and actually would have liked to have seen how it stacked up against Rolex at it's home field, if that makes sense.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 11:28 PM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
GS, Quality made dials, cases and movements. As well made or better than rolex.

However the GS watches tend to be on the thicker side and the design choices are a bit limited. The insistence on a date window in the vast majority of GS offerings is disappointing. Especially the divers.

The GS bracelet leaves something to be desired in terms of construction... while the links appear to be held in place by screwed bars like a rolex, it is not so. The screw heads are just screwed caps that cover a pin that is inserted between. This seems like a peculiar shortcut to me compared with all the other design choices? Perhaps there is a good explanation that i am unaware of? So in my experience I prefer them on leather.

Additional offerings with no date would be very welcome. As well as a slight shift to offer something between their ideas of a dress watch and a sports watch.

GS are available and can be had for a discount.
Old 7 February 2019, 12:50 AM   #29
tom2517
"TRF" Member

People seen enough of posts from me knows I am a big fan of GS, but GS honestly is for someone who is comfortable with their collection and wants to try something else.

If it’s your only watch, I would say go for Rolex. Not that I think Rolex is a better watch (if we are speaking strictly about the watch itself) but I do think brand name matters, and second hand values matters to a lot of people, GS is not strong in these two areas.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:57 AM   #30
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
But if I had to have only one watch, it would not be a GS.
I own both and, just as all my watches, each serves its particular purpose perfectly for me. I can say that the dials, finish, quality and comfort of the Grand Seiko is first rate and, when considering the price, they are truly amazing.

If I had to have only one watch, though, this is where they are both equal: I would choose neither!
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote