The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2019, 05:46 AM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Winter Jacket Discussion

I live in Cleveland, OH and it is time for me to get a real winter jacket. For the last three winters I’ve gotten away with wearing my hunting jacket at home, and a relatively cheap pea coat for work.

To our simply, Ive frozen my ass off working and walking around downtown, so it’s time to get a big boy coat. I am looking for a parka that is relatively long (not crazy long by any means).

I’ve debated on dropping the big bucks to get a Canada goose (Langford model), but is it really worth it? Columbia / Northface don’t really have anything I’m interested in. I found the brand Triple Fat goose which looks decent...but don’t know much about them.

I also found the LL Bean parka which is only $400 (current winner).

What are everyone’s suggestions for a solid coat that will keep me warm walking my dog, stylish enough for work, yet keeps me warm downtown!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:11 AM   #2
rcsami
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor MilSub 9401
Hey Bud, I live in Montreal. I'm actually buying a new Jacket this year but I have been using Nobis jackets for the past few years. They are the absolute warmest jackets out there in my opinion. Have had Goose also, but Nobis is warmer and obviously not as common. Also much nicer, and the materials are more premium. Check it out!

I'd also love to hear what others have to say!

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
rcsami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Subscribed...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:33 AM   #4
Thug
"TRF" Member

https://norwegianrain.com/products/moscow
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:41 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

So glad this is a thing of the past for me.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:42 AM   #6
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have a Canada Goose Expedition Parka and it was worth every dime. I have a dog too and take him out a few times a day. I put that hood on and it keeps me nice and warm. I also recommend Sorel Caribou Snow Boots. Stay warm!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:52 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I own a Canada Goose Langford Parka (Admiral Blue) and love it.

Image from the Canada Goose website

I've also got a North Face parka from many years ago that's available if ever needed.

Spending the money on a good winter coat is certainly worth doing in my opinion.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:53 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
When I lived in D.C. I wore a Canada Goose, which was the warmest jacket I ever owned. A thing of the past for me, too. Winters here are long sleeve shirt weather (*_*)
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:58 AM   #9
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I personally think a nice winter jacket is worth the investment, especially if you plan to use it for years. If North Face doesnt have anything you like, I do think CG makes a great jacket. I have a Moncler and bought my wife a CG and thought the CG was so well made I also bought one. My advice is look for when Bloomingdales does their private sale (usually $20 giftcards for every $100 you spend) and get it then.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:04 AM   #10
psv
"TRF" Member

Ha, I returned my big parkas because I found them too warm for the DC climate (one is better doing layers around here, and the big parkas suck for getting in/out of cars, etc)

I really like the Fjallraven parkas https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/men/jackets/parkas

Canado Goose are great, but overpriced and there are way too many of them around, a lot of fakes (think Louis Vitton)

Patagonia has some really nice parkas as well - I love that brand. Or you could just go bonkers and get one of the expedition style down jackets https://www.patagonia.com/product/gr...&start=1&sz=36 - you can basically fall asleep in the snow in that one ;-)

Finally, if you want a clearn look, Arc'Teryx has some nice options https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/therme-parka
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

I'm impressed you made it through Cleveland winters without a parka. Average winter highs/lows very similar to Boston
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:22 AM   #12
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I admit I have 2 Canada Goose, a parka and a more modest down jacket, both for working all day outside (film sets) and they do perform as intended.
But there are real nice alternatives out there, for looks and durability, Moncler, which is a bit on the pricy side, but lasts for decades (clean after the season), for warranty and ethical integrity, Patagonia and Fjallraven. The last 2 are what I actually keep seeing more of on our sets in winter, along with Arc'Teryx, which have some slick looking and well performing pieces.
If you consider Canada Goose option, please research the sourcing of some of their fillings and trimings a bit...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:29 AM   #13
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

I decided to invest and spend on something that would keep me warm enough without having to rely on additional layers below an "OK" winter jacket. I have a Moncler jacket for commuting and weekends, and also a Sorel jacket that is ridiculously warm for when it is snowing or really cold. My wife loves her Canada Goose. There are sales every now and then, I would try to buy it now because when it gets cold prices go up!
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:40 AM   #14
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
So glad this is a thing of the past for me.
same here as were off to Sunny Sri lanka very very shortly..:)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:55 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I just went down the same road last year. The Colorado mountain winters were really getting to me and I found that the standard Eddie Bauer offerings were not what they used to be.

Canada Goose was widely available here, but I fell in between sizes in their slim fit. Plus, everybody has them here in Denver.

I also looked up Triple Fat and heard good things about them, but made in China as I recall.

I ended up ordering a Quartz & Co. parka. It might be a little less expensive than the Canada Goose, but not by much. Still made in Canada with North American materials.

I have been very impressed with this parka. VERY warm and I actually have come to love the coyote collar as it has been very useful in blowing snow. I have no doubt that this piece will outlast me.

https://us.quartz-co.com/collections...nt=23792326470

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Have fun.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 09:12 AM   #17
MSchu
Banned

Jackets are kind of a thing with me as I have over a hundred in my collection... and I live in a friggen desert. (I don't wear them all, I've just collected them)

all the usual players are well represented here, Lauren (purple and black label), Burberry. Versace, Vuitton, Brooks brothers, etc etc etc... I can tell you, you get what you pay for.

The jackets break down into categories along the lines of: stylistically, by fabric types (tech fabric versus traditional materials etc), class based on usage (performance outdoor, high fashion) and so on...

if you're simply looking for the best 'performance' gear regardless of style, you are better off going with a hi tech jacket from the big outdoor companies... you'll probably save a bunch of money also. if you need some style and appreciate the nuance of construction and design, you use more traditional companies like Brook brothers Burberry or Lauren Purple label etc. (but you are going to pay for it).

One thing I can tell you is that there is a very noticeable difference between a 300$ jacket and a 1500$+ jacket and those differences are usually based around material uses and construction qualities/techniques and less about one keeping you 1000$ warmer than the other.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 09:15 AM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I wear Barbour. Long, waxed cotton, lined, and a nice hood. Have the sapper for the spring/fall which is more mid weight.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:07 AM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I wear shearling :) it’s warm and soft. I really like the soft
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:57 AM   #20
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I live in Cleveland, OH and it is time for me to get a real winter jacket. For the last three winters I’ve gotten away with wearing my hunting jacket at home, and a relatively cheap pea coat for work.

To our simply, Ive frozen my ass off working and walking around downtown, so it’s time to get a big boy coat. I am looking for a parka that is relatively long (not crazy long by any means).

I’ve debated on dropping the big bucks to get a Canada goose (Langford model), but is it really worth it? Columbia / Northface don’t really have anything I’m interested in. I found the brand Triple Fat goose which looks decent...but don’t know much about them.

I also found the LL Bean parka which is only $400 (current winner).

What are everyone’s suggestions for a solid coat that will keep me warm walking my dog, stylish enough for work, yet keeps me warm downtown!

I have North Face hands down best winter coat I've ever owned has a zip out liner which I've never removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:58 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Take me with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 11:01 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I only travel in winter and North Face gets my vote.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 11:19 AM   #23
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
I’m interested to know what you end up with. I‘d like a stylish parka for work as well.

I live on Cape Cod and walk my dog all winter long. A shirt, fleece and jacket works. If it’s super cold, add a fleece. I like the idea of a parka but I wonder if it would work for me. I’m a sweater...Ugh...I sweat easy so I need the layers.

I worry if I were to wear a parka and walked too much and it wasn’t super cold, I’d be toast.

I do love LL Bean stuff and their Maine Mountain Parka does look sweet (that’s sweet, not sweat : )

Good luck

Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 11:35 AM   #24
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I have about 15 Jackets, I'm a nut case, have a Canada Goose Expedition, thing is a gem, but it's overkill for 75% of the winter weather here in Boston. Only need it for about two weeks of the year the other days its like killing a house-fly with a bazooka. The other days I either wear a ski parka or my 10 year old Carhart Field coat that's perfectly broken in.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:10 PM   #25
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschafer View Post
If you consider Canada Goose option, please research the sourcing of some of their fillings and trimings a bit...
I have done just that and for that reason I'd never own a Canada Goose product.

I own four Patagonia jackets. I love their products and appreciate their stance on animal welfare.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:24 PM   #26
kearez
"TRF" Member

I own the Canada Goose Chateau. Highly recommend them, great fit, as in slim fit and works well for most occasions.

Tried Moncler thought the quality and price didn’t hold up to CG. Nordstrom’s and Neiman is probably stocking them now, so have try to see if the fit works for you. For me CG is one of those items which is actually worth the cost.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:32 PM   #27
nick c
Banned

My choice will be Canada goose.

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:35 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Patagonia with environmentally harvested down

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 01:07 PM   #29
austinp
"TRF" Member

I love Arcteryx.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 01:09 PM   #30
swils8610

Barbour fan here. I live in upstate NY. It gets cold here...I only wear my coats to and from the car and places. If I’m out in the weather long term or skiing I wear Killtek jacket and pants. For a long warm coat for walking in cold weather I’d go Canada Goose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote