The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2019, 01:13 PM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Honestly living in buffalo which is very similar to Cleveland I can’t rock a parka. Runs way too hot for me.

Most days I wear what Patagonia considers a sweater lol but it’s a light down jacket. That or my shearling.
Old 9 October 2019, 03:16 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd like a parka but the winters in The Netherlands are not cold enough. I'm too warm, too quickly anyway.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 03:33 PM   #33
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Canada Goose
Supreme X North Face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:39 PM   #34
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Patagonia is what I own along with a North Face and both are just fine for a Pittsburgh winter which is pretty much the same weather as Cleveland.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:44 PM   #35
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I have the Canada Goose down filled jackets which are the slim models as the Parka is just way to bulky for me. I am a bit of a Moncler fanboy and have numerous jackets, downfilled which I love. But the one brand my wife and I both have that are stylish and a great fit which keep you warm is called Parajumper. They are made in Italy.
https://www.parajumpers.it/ca-en/
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:59 PM   #36
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I have a fairly nice Navy peacoat (in dark Navy blue vs black) for when I need to look nicer (client meetings, etc.) and I now have a (ethically sourced) down puffy style jacket from Cotopaxi for everything else.

I used to have a Columbia ski parka that was burnt orange with a white stripe and my wife always made fun of me calling it my penguin suit (a la Super Mario brothers).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 11:14 PM   #37
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
A couple years ago I went to Nordstrom to get a Canada Goose jacket and they were all sold out. A buddy recommended Kjus so I got a couple, one for late fall weather and a heavy winter one. They've both been great
https://www.kjus.com/us/en/men/?p=5
Old 9 October 2019, 11:21 PM   #38
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Got my dad a Canada Goose Langford last year. He loves it.

My shoulders are broad so I had issues getting a fit in anything other than the expedition and that was just way too bulky.

Went with a woolrich parka. Better fit and range of movement for me. It's fantastic.
Old 9 October 2019, 11:54 PM   #39
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I like Arcteryx for technical outdoor gear, pretty easy to get a perfect fit, excellent mobility due to the way they design the arms and shoulders. For colder weather I wear the Atom AR Hoody with or without a shell.

Once it hits polar vortex, I like my Moose Knuckles 3Q. They have a million models like everyone else. Great to walk around in, but all of these big Canada Goose type parkas are bulky, heavy, and limit mobility, so take that into account when you buy. If you want a parka, I think it's worth getting one with the fur liner on the hood. It really does make a difference in breaking the wind and keeping the exposed part of your face warm.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 11:55 PM   #40
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Northface fleece for spring/fall. Brooks Brothers wool coat for the dead of winter.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:17 AM   #41
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Ha, I returned my big parkas because I found them too warm for the DC climate (one is better doing layers around here, and the big parkas suck for getting in/out of cars, etc)

I really like the Fjallraven parkas https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/men/jackets/parkas

Canado Goose are great, but overpriced and there are way too many of them around, a lot of fakes (think Louis Vitton)

Patagonia has some really nice parkas as well - I love that brand. Or you could just go bonkers and get one of the expedition style down jackets https://www.patagonia.com/product/gr...&start=1&sz=36 - you can basically fall asleep in the snow in that one ;-)

Finally, if you want a clearn look, Arc'Teryx has some nice options https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/therme-parka
Arc'Teryx FTW!!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:35 AM   #42
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I like Arcteryx for technical outdoor gear, pretty easy to get a perfect fit, excellent mobility due to the way they design the arms and shoulders.
YES! I just got the Zeta SL for lightweight rain gear. I want it to rain so I can test it out, ha ha. Bringing it to Ireland in a couple weeks so I bet I get to.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #43
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I would probably stick with this. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5066...R90Test01&SS=B
Great pricing and quality. They stand behind everything they sell.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:55 AM   #44
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Im in Central Ohio and have been wearing mountain hardwear parkas for years during the winter and absolutely love them.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #45
Blacktocomm
"TRF" Member

I like the Alpha N-3B. Warm, lot's of colors, and if you want there are a ton of different fabrics in their larger collection. https://www.alphaindustries.com/mens...fit-n-3b-parka
Blacktocomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 02:03 AM   #46
JBZ
"TRF" Member

I'd second the recommendation for any of the well known outdoor retailers (Bean, Patagonia, REI, etc.). You'll get an extremely warm coat for a reasonable price.

I love Barbour - really stylish. Not what I'd reach for when the temps fall below 40F, even with a lining.

Brooks Brothers is fine, but they don't specialize in this sort of thing, and anything you'd get from them that would do the same job as something from Bean, etc. will no doubt be a lot more expensive.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 03:07 AM   #47
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Doesn't get very cold here on San Diego, CA. Picked this jacket last week!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 03:08 AM   #48
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Wow... i want to thank everyone for all of the very valuable input.

As the more and more i think about it, the Canada Goose becomes less of desire of mine. I was actually at LL Bean last night and was able to try on this jacket (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1189...4714-GN2&csp=f). I was blown away by the quality and the warmth of this jacket. This is most likely the jacket that i am going to get. The other reason why i think this is a great option is there 1-Year, 100% satisfaction return policy.

I still haven't made my final decision, but i think this is the route that i am going to go!

Thanks for all of the input!!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 03:31 AM   #49
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I love Arcteryx.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I second Arcteryx
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:23 AM   #50
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Wow... i want to thank everyone for all of the very valuable input.

As the more and more i think about it, the Canada Goose becomes less of desire of mine. I was actually at LL Bean last night and was able to try on this jacket (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1189...4714-GN2&csp=f). I was blown away by the quality and the warmth of this jacket. This is most likely the jacket that i am going to get. The other reason why i think this is a great option is there 1-Year, 100% satisfaction return policy.

I still haven't made my final decision, but i think this is the route that i am going to go!

Thanks for all of the input!!
Thats a great looking jacket.
Those comments about Canadian Goose disturb me. (Not your comment)

Last edited by GSDLover; 10 October 2019 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Clarity
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 06:41 AM   #51
ElastomerGuy
"TRF" Member

Canada Goose Expedition here as well. The warmest coat I've ever owned and well made as well.
ElastomerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #52
SilverKast
"TRF" Member

Watch: always one more...
I use a Fjallraven Yupik, which is great when it gets really cold here in Canada. Don't need it most of the time as it often is overkill. Also have a Parajumpers parka but it's also too hot to wear most of the time. Parkas only come out if it's around -20C or colder, otherwise they are overkill. Found a decent one at Abercrombie and Fitch a couple years ago too (vintage military look without branding) of all places. It was cheap as it was on sale, and oddly enough it's really good canvas type quality and really warm.

I like my Arcteryx Proton LT which is a much lighter synthetic coat that fills the rest of the duties for 0 to -20C.

If I feel like a wool type coat you could look at some of Filson's offerings, they make some nice stuff that I still like to use whenever a parka isn't required. They also work well with layering a sweater or heavier shirt too.

I steer clear of Canada Goose, it's overpriced imo and not better than anything from less expensive alternatives. My wife likes hers, but will even admit that's more because it's trendy and expensive.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:52 AM   #53
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Honestly living in buffalo which is very similar to Cleveland I can’t rock a parka. Runs way too hot for me.

Most days I wear what Patagonia considers a sweater lol but it’s a light down jacket. That or my shearling.

Same here Tom...Barbour or a Northface shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:13 AM   #54
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Wool or cashmere top/over coats for me. I have some nice "ski" jackets but only use that style for skiing. Wear overcoats for work. Have several colors. I like em long and with layers they keep me warm. Although we only see around 0 zero temps here.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:34 AM   #55
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I like to layer lighter jackets over a black North Face redline.

I also have this CG - it’s really warm for being a thinner lighter jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:34 AM   #56
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

What is this winter thing that you guys are speaking of?
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:38 AM   #57
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Winter is where white stuff comes down from the heavens and you shiver and can see your breath. Or so I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
What is this winter thing that you guys are speaking of?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:40 AM   #58
stylinleems

Nobis jackets are extremely warm.

The Kato is nice as is the Cartel bomber, own both.

Also, the CG Hybridge Base jacket is nice as well - contemplating this purchase for fall/early winter.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:12 PM   #59
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Got my dad a Canada Goose Langford last year. He loves it.

My shoulders are broad so I had issues getting a fit in anything other than the expedition and that was just way too bulky.

Went with a woolrich parka. Better fit and range of movement for me. It's fantastic.
I wanted a CG but went with the Woolrich as well. May still get a CG or shearling
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:20 PM   #60
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I don't have a Canada Goose product, but saw that they are expanding their presence at the Mall of America here in Minneapolis by adding a room that is held at -13 degrees F so customers can try on their wares in the climate for which they are intended. And yes, we do get those temperatures here in January and February.

A good set of gloves, hat scarf and coat become survival instruments here in the Great White North!