The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2020, 08:36 PM   #121
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Some great deals on men’s rabbit, fox and mink coats.

Already dead and sustainably raised, and can be had for a song these days. Even less than a synthetic Canada Goose.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 11:05 PM   #122
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
It’s January in Minnesota, so I’ve been layering while working ski patrol shifts. Last week, the temp was -3 F with a wind chill of -15. I wore a Capilene long sleeve shirt, a medium weight fleece quarter-zip, a Patagonia down sweater, my Mountain Uniforms Patrol jacket, a neoprene face mask, fleece balaclava, Virus compression pants, fleece long underwear and three-layer Patagonia pants. It takes a while to get dressed.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #123
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
It’s January in Minnesota, so I’ve been layering while working ski patrol shifts. Last week, the temp was -3 F with a wind chill of -15. I wore a Capilene long sleeve shirt, a medium weight fleece quarter-zip, a Patagonia down sweater, my Mountain Uniforms Patrol jacket, a neoprene face mask, fleece balaclava, Virus compression pants, fleece long underwear and three-layer Patagonia pants. It takes a while to get dressed.
So do the bathroom breaks.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:13 AM   #124
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I only travel in winter and North Face gets my vote.
I live in the NE, and North Face easily gets my vote too. Own over 7 North Face jackets, which are as durable as they are warm.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:48 AM   #125
brannonj1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Not too bad here in Dallas. I generally wear the uniform for those that work in the financial industry in the south....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The VCV - Venture Capitalist Vest.
I have this one and the navy one! I'm also in the financial/insurance industry in the south.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vc-s...tagonia-2019-3
brannonj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:08 AM   #126
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Been searching around lately also for a new winter jacket. Been looking at Patagonia, Canada goose and a few others. I’m in NYC so have a big flux in temperature during the winter. Also prefer something slim fit
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:24 AM   #127
emtee
"TRF" Member

My Canada Goose Maitland Parka got its money’s worth with my trip to Latvia over New Years. This thing feels like a suit of armour whenever I put it on. Wind/rain/hail/snow I feel completely protected. Pricey sure but I’m a brand bandit I’m afraid and very pleased with this one. Also got the Gilet/Body Warmer which is great for less cold days but does let the wind into the armpits a bit.

Also recommend Mackage which is another Canadian brand. Not as well known as CG but the quality feels just as good to me and managed to pick up a lightweight down for 50% off. Still expensive but feels very nice.

I love my winter jackets and outerwear in general but living in the UK it rarely gets super cold. Have a couple of Stone Island and Paul and Shark who also make a quality product albeit expensive at RRP but can be had at reasonable discounts.

Love Moncler and have a few bits but no full winter jacket as find them too pricey for what you get. Enjoy!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:36 AM   #128
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
I have Barbour and Belstaff waxed cotton jackets with quilted liners For warmth though, you can’t beat a real Navy pea coat. You can wear it with jeans and over a sport coat. Find an Army Navy store and look around.
Me too. I'm especially a fan of Belstaff, between my wife and I we have like about a dozen Belstaff jackets. They can be mostly for fashion but I've could a couple that are really warm!
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:25 AM   #129
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannonj1 View Post
The VCV - Venture Capitalist Vest.

I have this one and the navy one! I'm also in the financial/insurance industry in the south.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vc-s...tagonia-2019-3

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 07:57 AM   #130
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Askov Findlayson. Worth a look. www.askovfinlayson.com New entrant from Minnesota with a unique process and filling. Not that stylish, but no one is at the temps this was made for.

Net is, the jacket stays warm when it gets wet, unlike down.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:03 AM   #131
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I live in the South. Southern part of the USA that is. No really cold weather like my brethren in other parts of the country or world.

Therefore, I wear a North Face with a zip-out fleece liner most of the time. When we do get a strong blast of cold air that lasts a few days, I'll break out the vintage pea coat.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #132
emersm

Watch: Rolex
I'm still a big fan of Eddie Bauer jackets and parkas.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 01:46 PM   #133
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Canada Goose is very popular and warm. They are expensive, but you do get what you pay for. They do not go on sale. So how do you get a discount on one by not buying a fake?

Answer: Go to Bloomingdales and open up a charge card, you get 20% on your first purchase and 20% all day on other purchases and the following day. It is the best deal out there because you cannot otherwise get a discount on CG.

And to boot, if you don’t like it they will take it back for full credit up to 1 year, even if worn, just save all the tags.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:23 PM   #134
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
My heaviest jacket is a Filson Tin Cloth Short Cruiser. Don't get to wear it too much down here in FL but did wear quite a bit on a recent trip to NC when it got into high 30's. That's freezing to me.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 02:49 AM   #135
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
It’s -22 degrees F on the hill this morning and I’m doing the maximum layering today. Fortunately, there is no wind.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:29 PM   #136
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
It’s -22 degrees F on the hill this morning and I’m doing the maximum layering today. Fortunately, there is no wind.

-22 and you took your glove off to snap a shot??? You northerners are nuts.

It was +5 this morning in Winter Park and I put off skiing until the crack of noon.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:38 PM   #137
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Canada Goose is very popular and warm. They are expensive, but you do get what you pay for. They do not go on sale. So how do you get a discount on one by not buying a fake?

Answer: Go to Bloomingdales and open up a charge card, you get 20% on your first purchase and 20% all day on other purchases and the following day. It is the best deal out there because you cannot otherwise get a discount on CG.

And to boot, if you don’t like it they will take it back for full credit up to 1 year, even if worn, just save all the tags.
Your correct at least the last I looked with one exception. If your lucky enough to find a retailer who discontinues or for whatever reason to no longer sell them. I was able to pick one up on sale ONCE for that very reason.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 05:46 PM   #138
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Canada Goose when it is properly cold, otherwise Monclear.
Old 21 January 2020, 06:01 PM   #139
royerlich
"TRF" Member

I wouldt get a canda goose from an idealistic reason as i care for animals. I own a the north face coat and it keeps me very worm and it isnt too expensive for what you get.. oh and it looks amazing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:22 AM   #140
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Check out a company called weatherwool.
They're not cheap but fantastic quality wool jackets and clothing. Warm when you need it, cool when it's hot. There are very limited styles but when it comes to natural wool products I have never seen better.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2020, 08:17 AM   #141
Datejust_bass
Banned

I think carhart has best winter gear. Proof of this, to me, is utility workers I see wearing their stuff. In negative temperatures. Specifically their “arctic “ flannel lined stuff.
Datejust_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:23 AM   #142
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
Weatherwool. No need to look elsewhere.
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:28 AM   #143
MSchu
Banned

Those things are HIDEOUS
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:24 AM   #144
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Patagonia Primo Down has worked well for me.
Old 8 September 2020, 01:08 AM   #145
logo
"TRF" Member

Bit of an old thread to pop back up haha. However, given winter is coming and I enjoy a good jacket, here are my thoughts:

My go-tos for outdoor wear are Canada Goose and Arc’teryx, both Canadian. Both with amazing build quality and premium materials to keep you warm but not overheat, both with amazing longevity (have had my GC for 10 years and it’s still like new), and both with a wide product range for any climate (have several Arc’teryx for outdoor wear across all seasons). Personally I’ve found these two to be superior to Columbia, North Face etc., and wouldn’t dare touch haute couture like LV, Burberry, Moncler, Gucci etc if I was looking for a functional yet stylish winter jacket to take a beating in the elements. Nope, if you want performance and quality when it comes to winter wear, my experience has been that if it was engineered for Canadian weather, it will do exceptionally well for my needs.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 02:13 AM   #146
Xenon
Banned

Got a black shearling at 65% off to compliment my brown shearling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78739_blk_a0.jpg (28.2 KB, 104 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 06:51 AM   #147
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of Arc'teryx as well, but honestly, my go to warm jacket is Marmot's 700 fill down (waterproof) hoody in black. Unbelievable value!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:16 AM   #148
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I live in Cleveland, OH and it is time for me to get a real winter jacket. For the last three winters I’ve gotten away with wearing my hunting jacket at home, and a relatively cheap pea coat for work.

To our simply, Ive frozen my ass off working and walking around downtown, so it’s time to get a big boy coat. I am looking for a parka that is relatively long (not crazy long by any means).

I’ve debated on dropping the big bucks to get a Canada goose (Langford model), but is it really worth it? Columbia / Northface don’t really have anything I’m interested in. I found the brand Triple Fat goose which looks decent...but don’t know much about them.

I also found the LL Bean parka which is only $400 (current winner).

What are everyone’s suggestions for a solid coat that will keep me warm walking my dog, stylish enough for work, yet keeps me warm downtown!
This thread was restarted after a long hiatus; it's strange buy I've got a lot of winter coats and the warmest of them all is a pea coat which I picked up from CFMartin & Co. (embroidered on the sleeve). When it's really cold that is what gets worn. Collar buttoned up with scarf and either a wool wide brimmed had or a trapper hat with the ear flaps down. The coat appears to be surplus with the embroidery added as an after thought.

Lately though I've been warm enough wearing a Spyder down jacket which is light weight and compact.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:35 AM   #149
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I live in San Diego. Not sure what winter is, but I wear Barbour coats for fashion and warmth and REI or Patagonia when temps drop below 60F, LOL.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 07:56 AM   #150
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsami View Post
Hey Bud, I live in Montreal. I'm actually buying a new Jacket this year but I have been using Nobis jackets for the past few years. They are the absolute warmest jackets out there in my opinion. Have had Goose also, but Nobis is warmer and obviously not as common. Also much nicer, and the materials are more premium. Check it out!

I'd also love to hear what others have to say!

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
I dress for winter at 8,000 feet elevation and rarely find the wind or cold of sea-level big cities to be as extreme as advertised. Midwest and East Coast folks seem to enjoy bulking up. I prefer a classic layering strategy, but was always the minority in my NYC office. Layering equals walking comfortably, IMO, while never being cold or overheating.

Always amazed at the popularity of the "pea coat" in big cities. A pea coat is a large, heavy sponge (and ends up smelling about the same).

Of course, I never really understood New Yorkers' affinity for umbrellas, either, so I am clearly lost (seriously, a high-quality, three layer outer layer, like Gor-Tex, eliminates any need for an umbrella (hair vanity notwithstanding)).

Winter alpinists figured this out 50+ years ago, but east of the continental divide, the concepts sometimes seems arcane.