The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2019, 01:35 PM   #31
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Not commenting on the desirability of the stamp itself, but it is curious why stamps matter considering Tiffany (or Wempe, or any of the other past stamps historically) did *not* actually have a hand in making the watch at all.

If you look at MB&F watches, all the F's (the Friends of MB) sign/stamp the back/movement of each watch they collaborate on.

What did Tiffany do to my 5711? :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:24 PM   #32
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
The Tiffany Patek spigot of acquiring these sought after pieces has been turned down to a drip especially after last year’s auction sale of a T-stamp 5711. That particular watch was sold to someone whom was a known watch collector but instead of keeping the timepiece, it was on the auction block 3 months later. Basically the buyer probably immediately contacted the auction house to sell the watch...

https://www.phillips.com/detail/PATE...E/CH080218/131

Due to this behavior, it has become much more difficult to acquire the T stamped pieces. Those that are waiting and who wants one can thank that idiot who sold the 5711 last year...

Just my two cents...
He had also spent a lot of cash with them.previously
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:25 PM   #33
Josh1000
Banned

I was in NY in February and wanted to go to the Patek section in 5th Avenue. I just found it too intimidating for a bottom dweller like myself...so didnt take the lift to say hello to kelly. My wife did lok for sunglasses though
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 09:24 PM   #34
Reign
"TRF" Member

Any views on how difficult a 5205 blue dial with the T stamp is to acquire in store?

I’m in the same boat as the OP and this is the one I want to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 09:32 PM   #35
KennyS
"TRF" Member

Louis Vuitton brand signifies success
Rolex also shows success

Tiffany, sells Diamond Jewelry you can not see the brand,
Tiffany don’t need marketing gimmicks to make it look expensive
You come in the shop anytime they will have stock you wanted.
And the Tiffany staff are your friends, they don’t tell bullshit like
you come again next time if you are lucky I will reserve for you.
KennyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 09:38 PM   #36
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS View Post
Louis Vuitton brand signifies success
Rolex also shows success

Tiffany, sells Diamond Jewelry you can not see the brand,
Tiffany don’t need marketing gimmicks to make it look expensive
You come in the shop anytime they will have stock you wanted.
And the Tiffany staff are your friends, they don’t tell bullshit like
you come again next time if you are lucky I will reserve for you.
Tiffany or diamond jewelry sales are not affected so much by grey market or people like Archie so they don’t need bullshits
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 10:04 PM   #37
sambb
"TRF" Member

where are the tiffany patek stores? NY, LA, ?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 12:09 AM   #38
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Any views on how difficult a 5205 blue dial with the T stamp is to acquire in store?

I’m in the same boat as the OP and this is the one I want to get

Blue dial 5205G seems to be more difficult to get at other ADs in general. Tiffany SF had the black dial 5205R recently. They were popular a few years ago, but probably less so today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
where are the tiffany patek stores? NY, LA, ?
Only NYC, Beverly Hills, SF and Hawaii at the moment. Houston, Atlanta and a few others had Patek before but no longer. Houston Tiffany used to have quite a large Patek section with a large client base.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 12:18 AM   #39
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Tiffany doesn’t T stamp every Patek it receives. Sometimes there isn’t room on the dial and some just aren’t stamped. But you get the blue box and a receipt lol.
I thought if the dial is crowded they just squeeze the T-stamp in on a diagonal.
Old 7 November 2019, 12:20 AM   #40
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I have spoken to and dealt with all of the sales assistants at Tiffany/Patek NYC. They are all extremely knowledgable about Patek and watches in general. I have never had an issue with any of them. I tend to talk a lot and have taken up quite a bit of their time and have yet to be tossed out of the salon.
That said, you cannot walk into Tiffany's and demand a 5711, 5167, 5168, 5968, 5212 etc. But you can't do that at Wempe or Tourneau, nor can you get a stainless RO at A/P or a CB at Journe simply by demanding one. And yet, that is exactly what a lot of folks do and then they feign shock at the less than ideal treatment they receive.
If you are interested in a Tiffany signed 5227 or a 5960 you can expect to be treated the same or better than if you asked for one at any Patek AD.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 12:38 AM   #41
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I have never been a fan of Tiffany, and the T-scamp does nothing for me, actually I find it rather pretentious but that's just my opinion (the watch is not a Tiffany, it's a Patek - I don't like when my car dealer slaps their logo on the license plate frame or trunk either).

That said, I've been to the NYC flagship Patek room and the Atlanta store many times. Being in tech, I always run the same test: I show up looking very casual in jeans, sneakers etc and a Patek under long sleeves. They typically don't give me the time of day (particularly in the NYC store). Then I look at a sales associate and lock eyes - still nothing. Then I walk up, roll up my sleeve and ask a specific question about a specific model - only then do they acknowledge my existence.

At that point I try on many references, waste their time, knowing I'll just buy elsewhere.

So they think I'm not worth their time? I beg to differ: they're not worth my money. Eff 'em.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 01:07 AM   #42
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post

So they think I'm not worth their time? I beg to differ: they're not worth my money. Eff 'em.
Maybe it's that kind of attitude that you are not getting the attention you crave.
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 02:21 AM   #43
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have decided that I will get a Tiffany stamped Rolex or Patek in the next few years. If its a Patek its not going to be a Nautilus or Aquanaut - maybe a 5196P.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 02:22 AM   #44
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have decided that I will get a Tiffany stamped Rolex or Patek in the next few years. If its a Patek its not going to be a Nautilus or Aquanaut - maybe a 5196P.

Probably grey to save money.

Old 7 November 2019, 04:25 AM   #45
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Nice choice! I’ve always liked the 5196P. After viewing the photo you posted, I recalled seeing this model with the T stamp on the subdial rather than on top. I think I prefer it in the subdial. Posting this so you know you have an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8256F6CA-0DED-4A8F-82D8-6607D381CD8E.jpeg (113.9 KB, 355 views)
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 04:39 AM   #46
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Here’s my one and only T-stamped watch, the 5296G Calatrava. To me, this is one of the most attractive sector dials. Very understated and classic, and those blued hands! I was actually about to sell it because I never wear it. But now that the LVMH sale might happen, I’ll wait to see how the Tiffany-Patek partnership may be effected going forward. If the partnership ends, collectors may increase demand for T-stamped pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B729091C-2B2C-47CD-BB38-5FC7FA23774C.jpeg (175.4 KB, 347 views)
Old 7 November 2019, 04:42 AM   #47
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have never been a fan of Tiffany, and the T-scamp does nothing for me, actually I find it rather pretentious but that's just my opinion (the watch is not a Tiffany, it's a Patek - I don't like when my car dealer slaps their logo on the license plate frame or trunk either).

That said, I've been to the NYC flagship Patek room and the Atlanta store many times. Being in tech, I always run the same test: I show up looking very casual in jeans, sneakers etc and a Patek under long sleeves. They typically don't give me the time of day (particularly in the NYC store). Then I look at a sales associate and lock eyes - still nothing. Then I walk up, roll up my sleeve and ask a specific question about a specific model - only then do they acknowledge my existence.

At that point I try on many references, waste their time, knowing I'll just buy elsewhere.

Quote:
Maybe it's that kind of attitude that you are not getting the attention you crave.
Ah, come on, you do understand the difference between cause and effect, right? In my experience, Tiffany sales associates ignore me when I don't look like a "prospective buyer" in their eyes (cause), so I elect to not spend my money with them (effect).

Remember, I'm in an industry (tech) where appearances can be very deceiving - I've learned to not judge books by their cover, you never know what is in front of you and you may well be surprised it's the opposite of what you expect, especially these days.

Of course, others have had nice experiences at Tiffany. But speaking for myself, I can say the experience I encountered has been consistent, over many visits, over several years.

The good news is that, for me at least, this had a simple solution: I found an AD who treats me - and everyone as far as I can tell - right (cause), and who I in turn respect and gladly purchase Pateks from (effect), in fact, I've placed 3 purchases with them so far.

Your mileage at Tiffany may vary, and some people like Tiffany a lot, which is perfectly fine. I'm simply not one of them, for the reason I noted above, that's all. Cheers.
Old 7 November 2019, 04:46 AM   #48
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

So, what you're saying is that, until you say something to them, they don't say anything to you? Interesting.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 04:49 AM   #49
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, come on, you do understand the difference between cause and effect, right? In my experience, Tiffany sales associates ignore me when I don't look like a "prospective buyer" in their eyes (cause), so I elect to not spend my money with them (effect).

Remember, I'm in an industry (tech) where appearances can be very deceiving - I've learned to not judge books by their cover, you never know what is in front of you and you may well be surprised it's the opposite of what you expect, especially these days.

Of course, others have had nice experiences at Tiffany. But speaking for myself, I can say the experience I encountered has been consistent, over many visits, over several years.

The good news is that, for me at least, this had a simple solution: I found an AD who treats me - and everyone as far as I can tell - right (cause), and who I in turn respect and gladly purchase Pateks from (effect), in fact, I've placed 3 purchases with them so far.

Your mileage at Tiffany may vary, and some people like Tiffany a lot, which is perfectly fine. I'm simply not one of them, for the reason I noted above, that's all. Cheers.
Not to derail this but on the subject of appearance and/or stereotypes. Do you think you are getting treated this way too because of your ethnic descent? As a "MadSpanaid" is your skin color and appearance similar to people from Latin America? Could that be a factor too?

As an Asian, I tend to get better service I think...SAs have learned that the more crappy an asian dresses, the more money they may have lol.
Old 7 November 2019, 04:53 AM   #50
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I think we should be careful not to paint all Tiffany SAs with a broad brush. In every sales environment there are good salespeople and bad salespeople. Tiffany is no different. It all comes down to personality, chemistry, or maybe something they ate that day. We’ve all had good and bad experiences with salespeople. It tends to be very random.
Old 7 November 2019, 04:55 AM   #51
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As an Asian, I tend to get better service I think...SAs have learned that the more crappy an asian dresses, the more money they may have lol.
Completely agree...From past experience while visiting the LV flagship on Champs Elysee, saw an Asian dude with t-shirt and slippers sitting at the top floor of the boutique with several sales reps attending to him. He just sits there and sips his champagne while the reps are bringing him bags, belts, etc left and right. Was a hilarious sight to behold but certainly different!

Not sure if he bought any of those items...left before he did.
Old 7 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #52
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not to derail this but on the subject of appearance and/or stereotypes. Do you think you are getting treated this way too because of your ethnic descent? As a "MadSpanaid" is your skin color and appearance similar to people from Latin America? Could that be a factor too?

Hello @bearxj86: I absolutely do not think there's anything about ethnicity involved, and I don't want to even jokingly make ANY insinuation of that, not at all, not even remotely. Let me be clear: absolutely zero issues about ethnicity involved (in my experiences). BTW, I'm from Spain, standard European in ethnicity. But, not a factor here. Not at all.

The point I was making was about not looking like a "prospective buyer", i.e. looking youthful, casual, appearing junior in career rank, etc. In my case, I actually am a "prospective buyer" - I just may not look like one at first blush, that's all.
Old 7 November 2019, 05:25 AM   #53
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely agree...From past experience while visiting the LV flagship on Champs Elysee, saw an Asian dude with t-shirt and slippers sitting at the top floor of the boutique with several sales reps attending to him. He just sits there and sips his champagne while the reps are bringing him bags, belts, etc left and right. Was a hilarious sight to behold but certainly different!

Not sure if he bought any of those items...left before he did.
That was a Fat Ninja. He gets around.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 05:34 AM   #54
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello @bearxj86: I absolutely do not think there's anything about ethnicity involved, and I don't want to even jokingly make ANY insinuation of that, not at all, not even remotely. Let me be clear: absolutely zero issues about ethnicity involved (in my experiences). BTW, I'm from Spain, standard European in ethnicity. But, not a factor here. Not at all.

The point I was making was about not looking like a "prospective buyer", i.e. looking youthful, casual, appearing junior in career rank, etc. In my case, I actually am a "prospective buyer" - I just may not look like one at first blush, that's all.
Thanks for the answer and clarification - I was just curious how a "Mad Spaniard" might be treated :)
Old 7 November 2019, 06:23 AM   #55
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Come to think of it...he was wearing a fancy watch. Not sure if it was a Patek...didn't get too close due to the busy staff attending to him.
Old 7 November 2019, 06:39 AM   #56
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Come to think of it...he was wearing a fancy watch. Not sure if it was a Patek...didn't get too close due to the busy staff attending to him.
Quote:
Like I said. I don’t buy LV...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 07:17 AM   #57
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Like I said. I don’t buy LV...
Ninja only wears Supreme and Goyard :)
Old 7 November 2019, 09:18 AM   #58
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
So, what you're saying is that, until you say something to them, they don't say anything to you? Interesting.
Ah come on @cascavel, I'm sure you know what I was trying to say, which is basically this: presumptuous and impertinent sales associates exist in many stores - and in some stores more than in others. That's all. Cheers.
Old 7 November 2019, 10:53 AM   #59
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah come on @cascavel, I'm sure you know what I was trying to say, which is basically this: presumptuous and impertinent sales associates exist in many stores - and in some stores more than in others. That's all. Cheers.
I can't believe in this day and age SA still treat badly/ casually dressed customers poorly... how can that be? I think it's true but just very weird and can't wrap my head around it. Same goes for poor product knowledge. Especially in super high-end luxury goods. If you sell $8,000 shoes at berluti I would expect people to know their stuff but they don't.

Another weird phenomenon is that based on some member's opinions here some agree and even give excuses for SA to act poorly. - just an observation based on reading many posts here over the last couple of months.

Funny enough is that as a kid with no money I wasted so many sales people's time (and most of the time was treated quite nicely). Now that I have some money to waste I get treated on average worse than before or maybe my patience for BS gotten lower. It's definitely karma !
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:08 AM   #60
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Ninja only wears Supreme and Goyard :)
Sorry. What are those?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote