The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2021, 10:33 AM   #1
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

New collaboration?

I am not sure what to say. A gaming company and Panerai? This is the news piece;

Razer and luxury watch manufacturer, Panerai, have come together under a shared commitment to advancing ocean preservation, and rallied RazerCon viewers to Make Time for our Ocean. As part of this year long campaign, Razer and Panerai have committed to enhancing ocean literacy, and will be supporting a cause together that will be revealed in March 2022. The keynote came to a crescendo when it was also announced that a limited-edition, co-branded time piece made from sustainable material will be hitting the market in 2022.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 10:53 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I'm all for ocean preservation and cleanup. Goodness knows we could use more of it imho. Thanks Panerai
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:14 PM   #3
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I’m 100% for ocean preservation and ocean awareness. It just seems like an odd group to work with in that regard, but times are changing, and hopefully it is a productive collaboration.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 01:26 PM   #4
thsiao
"TRF" Member

IMHO… another failed collaboration.
Old 22 October 2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Rushne
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Ocean preservation, sure, great work there, but these two brands together?

I thought AP and Marvel was strange, but this is even more bizarre.

However, if they do it in a way that keeps both brands separate but working together, maybe that could be alright.

For example, Panerai produces the watch in a special combo of materials and or colour that is unique to the collab. BUT there is no mention or engraving of Razer logo OF ANY KIND on the watch. Instead Razer provides a special stand / display case box that has their signature RGB colour lighting.

Then this combo is seen as them working together for a good cause but sticking to their own lanes with regards to product.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A

@mechanicaltom
Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 05:39 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Odd collaboration, but ‘we’re’ probably not the target market. I love my 112 for its simplicity and vintage cues. The modern stuff just doesn’t interest me.
Old 23 October 2021, 10:04 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Odd collaboration, but ‘we’re’ probably not the target market. I love my 112 for its simplicity and vintage cues. The modern stuff just doesn’t interest me.
Good Point, guess Richemont is doing collabs now.

This past week with Richemont's IWC brand they just did a collab with Hot Wheels. Problem is no one public seems to actually get one of these timepieces, and that seems to be their plan from the get-go. Pure PR operation for both Richemotn's chosen brand and whomever they collab with.

Basically, what Richemont seems to be doing marketing-wise is a ploy to promote a psudo-ish new model that is really STRICTLY for those taking part at the factory / collaboration company imho. Maybe with IWC the demand is higher so that's how it went this past week, whereas with Panerai the demand is low enough to offer them to the public?!?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 October 2021, 12:26 AM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Richemont/Panerai has a problem, the roots of the Panerai brand are questionable. Richemont appears to be moving further and further away from those questionable roots in an effort to create a new free-standing identity for Panerai independent of those questions. The trouble is that there is a strong core of Panerai fans who prefer the chequered past and questionable narrative that has defined Panerai. Collabs and new materials and Dues, all attempts to distract us from these questions. Who GAF? Embrace your questionable history, don’t erase it, it’s integral to your DNA.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 01:35 AM   #9
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The marketing department’s of lesser brands don’t frankly care if a synergy makes sense or not. Their only interest is an exchange of databases. Basically, it works rather simply.

1. Brand A - hey we have X signed up users, we will send your brand, association or product to our x people.
2. Brand B - we too have Y people, we will send your brand, association or product to our x people.

X + Y = more people

Not rocket science. Well unless brand B is Nasa, in which case you’re Omega donating money to their next mission for a plug.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 02:16 AM   #10
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
The marketing department’s of lesser brands don’t frankly care if a synergy makes sense or not. Their only interest is an exchange of databases. Basically, it works rather simply.

1. Brand A - hey we have X signed up users, we will send your brand, association or product to our x people.
2. Brand B - we too have Y people, we will send your brand, association or product to our x people.

X + Y = more people

Not rocket science. Well unless brand B is Nasa, in which case you’re Omega donating money to their next mission for a plug.
Agreed. The struggle for relevance is also a factor.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

To be fair, some collabs work great. Panerai working with orgs to clean the oceans makes sense. Tudor having Lady Gaga is weird as she's known more for hi-tech rather than analog timepieces. TAG and any racing team, and as mentioned Omega and NASA.

Done smartly it works.

And then there's dumb luck like Supreme and anything from crowbars to luxury Hermes ashtrays.