The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 May 2020, 08:55 PM   #31
Mills_
"TRF" Member

I was awake for the original purchase time (11:30PM AEST) and missed out due to the hiccup where their promise that you would have five minutes to pay once getting it into your cart was not kept. I was on Instagram for another ~20 minutes and immediately responded to their request to email them about being stiffed. Then I went to sleep.

Woke up to find their "solution" meant I had completely missed the second window too.

A bit disappointing.
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:36 AM   #32
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesingularity7 View Post
I feel the same way about this situation. (a) The watch is still limited, just a little less so than was promised. (b) No obligations were enforced and full refunds were offered (with $50 compensation) to those unhappy with their way of adapting to the situation. (c) Those that were holding them to their word for 5 minute holds had a second chance at getting a watch and (d) They have been incredibly transparent about the entire thing.

This is the most ethical handling of an unfortunate circumstance I've ever seen by a watch brand. After spending 6 months trying to acquire a Rolex and having to navigate the absolute nightmare of a situation (and arguably unethical) that they have created, this kind of honesty is incredibly refreshing. Enough so that I'm certain I'll be adding a Kurono to my collection this year.

I've been on the list for 3-5 micro brand releases in the last 6-8 months and more than one of them had "bugs" or "unavoidable/ unfortunate circumstances" that made a significant fraction of the potential customers unable to get what they thought they would. And each time the end results was "We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we will be restocking again in X more months". Basically a nice way of saying "Too bad".

And from what I can see on Instagram / Facebook, it looks like they navigated this situation to arrive at a point where they have more happy customers than unhappy ones. So if that is the case, I think they've done well for themselves.

That sums up the situation perfectly. You spoke my mind better than I would have. Add to it they have done all of that within an hour. In my opinion it should be a biz school case study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 03:57 AM   #33
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Anyone received his watch? Mine on the way but lagged in NY for custom clearance- not sure what’s that about

Old 8 June 2020, 06:08 AM   #34
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
Anyone received his watch? Mine on the way but lagged in NY for custom clearance- not sure what’s that about

I haven't seen any in the wild (WUS / Reddit / Facebook) yet, but I'm eagerly waiting for some hands-on shots/videos of this thing. I feel like an idiot for not pulling the trigger now
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 06:11 AM   #35
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
You will have chances in the future.

Quote:
I haven't seen any in the wild (WUS / Reddit / Facebook) yet, but I'm eagerly waiting for some hands-on shots/videos of this thing. I feel like an idiot for not pulling the trigger now
There will be more similar watches in the future.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 06:41 AM   #36
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
There will be more similar watches in the future.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the next!

I did find an Instagram post of someone that received theirs - https://www.instagram.com/p/CBHoVYOnV8s/
Old 8 June 2020, 07:36 AM   #37
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
The chronos look nice.
Old 8 June 2020, 08:59 AM   #38
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes actually I was going to post Eddie’s acc.

I wouldn’t worry about missing this release, it was supposed to be special being anniversary & 50 pcs but now it’s about 300 pieces and you will see it more frequently than other dials.

There should be a 3-4 limited edition releases by them every year. Would be cool to see what’s coming next.

Old 8 June 2020, 11:47 AM   #39
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes actually I was going to post Eddie’s acc.

I wouldn’t worry about missing this release, it was supposed to be special being anniversary & 50 pcs but now it’s about 300 pieces and you will see it more frequently than other dials.

There should be a 3-4 limited edition releases by them every year. Would be cool to see what’s coming next.

Yeah, it is a stunning dial and I can't wait to see more photographs and videos of it.

I'm hoping they do at least one more watch under $2000 this year. I believe they announced that there won't be anymore no-date watches this year. So we're likely to see some date complications and more chronographs maybe!
Old 8 June 2020, 12:22 PM   #40
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, it is a stunning dial and I can't wait to see more photographs and videos of it.

I'm hoping they do at least one more watch under $2000 this year. I believe they announced that there won't be anymore no-date watches this year. So we're likely to see some date complications and more chronographs maybe!

That could be very well it for this year. I think the Mori going from 50 pcs to 300 definitely messed up their schedule for the reminder of the year, delivery of the second batch would be around sep/oct which means any other announcements this year would be nov / dec and delivery early 2021. I could be wrong, but I’m not optimistic about seeing other releases this year.

Old 8 June 2020, 12:33 PM   #41
ree7
"TRF" Member

What I don't understand is how they keep on insisting not to have their products trade above retail on secondary market. Yet they also insist on making very limited batches of production. To me these two things simply contradict one another. It's a game only they will win, not the customers. They are contradicting their own idealism in "making the brand accessible to everyone."

To quote their post:
"The final edition size for #kuronotokyo 森:mori is 291 pieces, and not available anywhere else or repeated. 森:mori is the last time-only watch we will make this year.
Kurono will need to go back to the previous limited nature of its watches. We will try to increase production, but we cannot have a repeat of 森:mori. Because demand will likely more than what is available, please understand if you are not able to secure these future pieces.

On an annual basis, however, we may make available anniversary models that we will open up to all orders for a fixed amount of time. We hope that this will allow those who did not secure our limited pieces, to still enjoy Kurono.

Kurono is meant to be accessible as much as possible. Please do not buy Kurono simply because it is ‘limited’ or can be resold higher. It is meant for personal enjoyment and appreciation of Hajime DNA. We cannot accomodate too high production at the moment. 申もうし訳わけありません。"

To me that just sounds smug, not "accessible". I also found out that they produce I think non-limited watches under slightly different dial: "Chrono Tokyo" for JDM market.
https://www.neuve-a.net/TiCTAC/shop/g/g2700001899891/

To be clear I don't hate the brand nor the design. I was actually intrigued, that's why I read as many stuffs as I can about them. But the more I learned the more I think it's just not for me. I'd actually prefer if they are straight-forward making things limited without pushing the idealism of "accessibility".
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 01:03 PM   #42
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
What I don't understand is how they keep on insisting not to have their products trade above retail on secondary market. Yet they also insist on making very limited batches of production. To me these two things simply contradict one another. It's a game only they will win, not the customers. They are contradicting their own idealism in "making the brand accessible to everyone."

To quote their post:
"The final edition size for #kuronotokyo 森:mori is 291 pieces, and not available anywhere else or repeated. 森:mori is the last time-only watch we will make this year.
Kurono will need to go back to the previous limited nature of its watches. We will try to increase production, but we cannot have a repeat of 森:mori. Because demand will likely more than what is available, please understand if you are not able to secure these future pieces.

On an annual basis, however, we may make available anniversary models that we will open up to all orders for a fixed amount of time. We hope that this will allow those who did not secure our limited pieces, to still enjoy Kurono.

Kurono is meant to be accessible as much as possible. Please do not buy Kurono simply because it is ‘limited’ or can be resold higher. It is meant for personal enjoyment and appreciation of Hajime DNA. We cannot accomodate too high production at the moment. 申もうし訳わけありません。"

To me that just sounds smug, not "accessible". I also found out that they produce I think non-limited watches under slightly different dial: "Chrono Tokyo" for JDM market.
https://www.neuve-a.net/TiCTAC/shop/g/g2700001899891/

To be clear I don't hate the brand nor the design. I was actually intrigued, that's why I read as many stuffs as I can about them. But the more I learned the more I think it's just not for me. I'd actually prefer if they are straight-forward making things limited without pushing the idealism of "accessibility".

Are you sure the chrono Tokyo is their brand and not a sophisticated replica scheme?

Old 8 June 2020, 01:20 PM   #43
ree7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you sure the chrono Tokyo is their brand and not a sophisticated replica scheme?

It is their brand. Meant for the JDM market. Check out the comments section of this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CAraOp-nOK4/
Old 8 June 2020, 02:08 PM   #44
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is their brand. Meant for the JDM market. Check out the comments section of this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CAraOp-nOK4/

That’s so shitty I am so turned off. I think the best way forward is just to buy the work of Hajime himself and not just the design

Old 8 June 2020, 07:46 PM   #45
Pongster
"TRF" Member

^ how ironic.

Kurono (Katakana) for international market

Chrono (English) for japanese domestic market
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 11:03 PM   #46
bibbi
"TRF" Member

It was probably supposed to be iConic but ends up iRonic.

If that really is the case, where the „Reiwa” watch is in constant supply to the Japanese domestic market, but just with a „translated” name, then it’s the end of a nice watch story that was beeing created.

BTW I tried to purchase mori last time. Was in front of the computer 15 mnts ahead of deadline. And when it came I was not able to find the place where the watch was available. Under the „mori” part it read that the watch os unavailable. Couple of mnts later found the „preorder” part where it probably was. Completely diiferently than with the Chronograph 1 - then you could „click” the watch on the home page. What a mess...
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 11:41 PM   #47
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From their Instagram post:
Quote:
Mori is not available as jdm and is only available on www.kuronotokyo.com. Production numbers for jdm are typically 1.5-2x higher due to the larger local market.
Good catch. I always thought 'Chrono Tokyo' was the line of watches that eventually grew to become 'Kurono Tokyo'. I thought they were more like 'first run' / 'prototype' pieces. But their comment here confirms that these are indeed currently in production as well.

In their defense, the Mori is still limited to the 291 and won't make it's way into the Chrono lineup.

Also addressing your point about them keeping numbers limited and yet wanting to fight the flippers. I don't think this is mutually exclusive. They had over 2000+ people in line to buy the Mori, and from what I have understood about their operation, they are definitely not capable of cranking out 2000 pieces in their estimated delivery periods. So it makes sense for smaller establishments to control numbers. They could grow their business to meet the demand, but same can be said of Rolex. It comes down to this - sometimes it's just not worth growing a business to meet a specific / short term demand. Only to be left with incredibly high overheads if things go south.

From what I gather, they are primarily trying to deter flippers. Controlling the price of their watches pre-owned? Not in their control unfortunately. But they can attempt to put their watches in the hands of those who are more likely to use it than resell it, similar to what Rolex does.

I'm not defending them, but I do understand why they're doing what they're doing. And as I mentioned in my previous posts, I don't believe they're primarily doing this to create hype and drive up prices. I believe that is just a byproduct of their current business model.
Old 9 June 2020, 01:11 AM   #48
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s so shitty I am so turned off. I think the best way forward is just to buy the work of Hajime himself and not just the design

The Japanese models have 100 afaik, whereas kurono had 50. They definitely should’ve been more open about that, but a little searching around would have led to that reveal. They’re certainly not a production piece - And frankly I’m glad they exist as 50 is just a ludicrously small amount of watches globally. Why even bother making it at all?
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 01:21 AM   #49
bibbi
"TRF" Member

One thing I don’t understand then - they make 50 pcs for the international market and these beauties go out in seconds.

They make 100 pcs for JDM and they’re still available from an online shop? Despite claiming that the demand on the JDM is bigger?

Whichever way - as a person closely working with Japanese clients - I do understand their values and believe they’re real.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:28 AM   #50
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I ultimately cancelled my order and got my money back. I applaud all those who got a Mori and are excited about it. The issues with ordering and the website, and then the 50 to 291 change-up plus delayed delivery just didn't suit me. After learning what was written above about JDM market watches, that further reaffirms my personal decision. Again, great watches, and those who got them should be rightfully excited. But not for me at this time.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 12:00 PM   #51
ree7
"TRF" Member

I don't care if they make 50 international, 100 JDM etc.
What I don't understand is how they keep on insisting that green Mori will not be produced again and future production will be limited. BUT, don't buy it because it's limited.
You're trying to sell 'rarity' yet don't want people to buy it because it's rare. And quietly you have capability to produce more for JDM. Just chose not to.
Even Rolex doesn't have smug sentences like "please understand if you are not able to secure these future pieces." in their official marketing lines.
Old 9 June 2020, 02:12 PM   #52
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
One thing I don’t understand then - they make 50 pcs for the international market and these beauties go out in seconds.

They make 100 pcs for JDM and they’re still available from an online shop? Despite claiming that the demand on the JDM is bigger?

Whichever way - as a person closely working with Japanese clients - I do understand their values and believe they’re real.
Wow didn't realise available online indeed - just bought the copper one... thanks!!!
Old 25 June 2020, 01:47 PM   #53
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Mine arrived. Dial is gorgeous but I have a conservative overview on everything else.
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 03:27 PM   #54
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Wow didn't realise available online indeed - just bought the copper one... thanks!!!
Did you get the Kurono or the Chrono?

Congrats.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:59 PM   #55
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
Mine arrived. Dial is gorgeous but I have a conservative overview on everything else.
Congrats!
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:02 PM   #56
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
I'd love to see photographs and hear your thoughts when you're ready!
Old 26 June 2020, 08:11 AM   #57
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd love to see photographs and hear your thoughts when you're ready!

swaye thanks

The dial is very well designed (of course Hajime) the finishing on the dial is good too, the case is fine. The movement is trash it’s cheap Miyota movement, annoyingly you hear all the wheels and the rotor grinding unpleasantly every time you move your wrist. The strap and buckle is cheap and not a good fit, but that’s not a big issue, if you’re waiting for yours to arrive in sep or oct consider sourcing a nice strap to go with it and have fun
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 01:22 PM   #58
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

They just released a new JDM one “bullseye” with Arabic numerals. White and copper. Think this ones a miss personally, the numerals make it somewhat off to me
https://www.neuve-a.net/TiCTAC/shop/g/g2700001969303/
Old 27 June 2020, 06:30 PM   #59
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
They just released a new JDM one “bullseye” with Arabic numerals. White and copper. Think this ones a miss personally, the numerals make it somewhat off to me
https://www.neuve-a.net/TiCTAC/shop/g/g2700001969303/
Same here, this JDM stuff just makes the watch not that special to be honest. I think they should just make one dial for all markets and increase the number to e.g. 100-150.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 11:08 PM   #60
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

I think this one looks awesome, and has some similarities to Hajime's more expensive pieces.

Tags
asaoka , hajime , japan , kurono , tokyo