The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2020, 07:19 AM   #61
Ntoz
Banned

I think this is cause it's a unique watch
Old 22 April 2020, 08:24 AM   #62
YMII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo925 View Post
Do you think this crisis is not as bad as that in 2008? You know that Daytonas and other watches could be be had at or below retail for several years after that time? Just curious why you are so sure things will be different this time when the crisis is likely worse..??? Give us your wisdom as to why it's not going to happen.
The value of the money will decrease more than the value of steel sports Rolex watches. That is exactly the point that is different from the last crisis.
Old 22 April 2020, 08:32 AM   #63
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The Hulk was a "dog" for years and many dealers couldn't give them away, even with a steep discount. It wasn't until the past 4 or 5 years when everyone hopped on the SS sport watch bandwagon that it became in demand. Two main reasons; people wanted it because they seen others who owned it, and people wanted it so they could flip it for an easy 5K profit. I have seen more Hulks flipped here than any other watch. There is a very minute number of members here who actually keep the watch long term.

IMO just about all of this is wrong.
Old 22 April 2020, 08:33 AM   #64
M45
Banned

AD told me she had a Hulk if I wanted it, no wait, and I'm like lol, nah.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #65
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMII View Post
The value of the money will decrease more than the value of steel sports Rolex watches. That is exactly the point that is different from the last crisis.
I do agree that is the one question. For now it's looking deflationary, but will there be inflation eventually do to the Trillions of $$ pumped in? It sure is possible. Some hard assets may be warranted for diversification.
Old 22 April 2020, 10:53 AM   #66
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
If you are going to make such a vague statement, please explain in detail.
BTW, I owned a Hulk when you could get one BNIB from a forum seller for 8K.
Moved it for a PM YG Submariner
Old 22 April 2020, 10:56 AM   #67
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMII View Post
They are dependent on one another. When dollar bills become worthless, so will stainless Rolex watches. A watch is not a solid ingot of gold or platinum.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:33 AM   #68
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:

I also bought for $8k BNIB from a forum seller 6 years ago. That is a small discount off retail, hardly “giving them away” and certainly not a “steep” discount. I have never heard anyone claim they received a steep discount off a hulk from an AD. You said people started buying them because they saw others wearing them and wanted them? What’s wrong with that? Isn’t that how a lot of purchases go? Or do you only buy things that you have never seen that nobody else has? A small amount of people that buy Hulks on this forum actually keep them is maybe the most absurd statement I have seen on this forum. Obviously you have no way of backing this up and is total speculation. How many members does the Hulk owners thread have? Thousands? There would have to be millions of members on this forum buying Hulks. This is all my opinion, but I don’t think you made one factual statement.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #69
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
Actually his statements are quite right. Back when the Hulk was released it was the most HATED model out. It could not sell and was sitting in windows at many ADs.

I got my ones well below MSRP. Nothing has changed since then except hype. Its all dying down anyway so if your holding multiple of these best to sell now and buy shares whilst the markets are its lowest.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:53 AM   #70
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
WRONG
Another dreamer here who couldn’t afford the watches before and is hoping to pick one up for thousands less,not going to happen.

Have a search of what watches I own. I could buy 10 Hulks easily even at their inflated prices. I dont want a Hulk mate. hahahaha

P.S Ive owned 3 Hulks in the past trying to love the color. Sold all of them off and wont be making that mistake again.
Old 22 April 2020, 12:00 PM   #71
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

Have a search of what watches I own. I could buy 10 Hulks easily even at their inflated prices. I dont want a Hulk mate. hahahaha

P.S Ive owned 3 Hulks in the past trying to love the color. Sold all of them off and wont be making that mistake again.
Obviously Anton has not seen your PM collection.
Old 22 April 2020, 12:38 PM   #72
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Actually his statements are quite right. Back when the Hulk was released it was the most HATED model out. It could not sell and was sitting in windows at many ADs.

I got my ones well below MSRP. Nothing has changed since then except hype. Its all dying down anyway so if your holding multiple of these best to sell now and buy shares whilst the markets are its lowest.

I’m not denying it wasn’t a hot seller and could be had at a discount. In 2014 I bought BNIB from a gray for $8k as did the other guy. I think at the time that was $500 off retail. That is not a steep discount or well below retail in my book. What is that like 7%? That’s sales tax. Do you mind telling us what “well below retail is” 25%? 35%? Again, I don’t want to sound argumentative, and I agree the Hulk was not a fast seller, but they were not being given away, ever. Regarding the hype, I’m sure there is a certain amount of people who don’t know anything about watches and buy into the hype, but just because it is popular doesn’t mean it won’t be a good seller going forward. Opinions of the general public do change over time. To claim 8 or 9 Hulk owners out of 10 eventually sell is IMO wildly off and to claim it as fact is just flat out incorrect.
Old 22 April 2020, 01:35 PM   #73
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Who thinks the Hulk will be in the next James Bond movie??? My guess, not a bat's chance in coronatown!
Old 22 April 2020, 05:30 PM   #74
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Cool story bro
Old 22 April 2020, 06:29 PM   #75
APPRF
"TRF" Member

All SS Rolex sport where sitting at AD displays, and were sold at a discount at some time before all this hype started, it's not something exclusive for the Hulk. These are tool watches, and most Rolex buyers wanted the iconic models like DD, and DJ. Rich people who wanted the best would buy mostly full gold Rolex or full gold holy trinity. Even the mighty Daytona was selling at a discount, and until a little more than a year ago the full gold green dial Daytona was sitting at AD cases, and even the SS Daytona only became popular after the ceramic dial version. What I want to convey is that there's nothing wrong with the Hulk not being popular (like all other SS) at some point in the past. The reality now is it's very popular, and in demand. If it gets discontinued it will hold its value at least. I can't imagine any serious Rolex collector not having a Hulk, or Kermit in his collection.
Old 22 April 2020, 06:38 PM   #76
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Cool story bro

...I'm assuming humour here (Nairn1980) ?? - but some elaboration would have helped us - dates etc.,!

I have wanted the Hulk since 2016 (wrong time here in UK I learned!!)
Glad personally I did not buy with premium, even though I still do not have the watch and still want one, am interested to see how things pan out.
I am on a "interest list" for this, but have not had a call, and I know for sure I am on this computer list as I have been to see AD a few times. I would not buy now and leave it sitting in theoretical AD safe for undisclosed time.
There are more important things to worry about at the moment (understatement of the time!)

Best wishes to anyone who wants/aspires to HULK ownership
Old 22 April 2020, 06:41 PM   #77
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
All SS Rolex sport where sitting at AD displays, and were sold at a discount at some time before all this hype started, it's not something exclusive for the Hulk. These are tool watches, and most Rolex buyers wanted the iconic models like DD, and DJ. Rich people who wanted the best would buy mostly full gold Rolex or full gold holy trinity. Even the mighty Daytona was selling at a discount, and until a little more than a year ago the full gold green dial Daytona was sitting at AD cases, and even the SS Daytona only became popular after the ceramic dial version. What I want to convey is that there's nothing wrong if the Hulk was not popular (like all other SS) at some point in the past. The reality now is it's very popular, and in demand. If it gets discontinued it will shoot up or hold its value at least.
Some of this is true, but in the UK the humble S/S daytona could not be bought in 1998 era, was selling at premium then on wait lists and ceramic was a dream away.
Veblen good times are here!
Old 22 April 2020, 06:48 PM   #78
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
Some of this is true, but in the UK the humble S/S daytona could not be bought in 1998 era, was selling at premium then on wait lists and ceramic was a dream away.
Veblen good times are here!
You are right regarding SS Daytona in the UK specifically. UK only represents a small percentage of Rolex buyers especially before the hype started, and the GBP value came down (tourist buying). The UK is a different market than the rest of the world.
Old 22 April 2020, 06:50 PM   #79
Ocog
"TRF" Member

If anyone is worrying about the price, this hobby is not for you.
Old 22 April 2020, 06:53 PM   #80
Podmornica
Banned

Would be amazing to find out how many of the current sought after pieces would be attractive to buyers if there was no artificial shortage teamed with the social network hype and easy to flip money that it comes with. That would return us to the pre 2016 year all of a sudden I am sure.
Old 22 April 2020, 06:54 PM   #81
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocog View Post
If anyone is worrying about the price, this hobby is not for you.
agree
Old 22 April 2020, 07:22 PM   #82
Lol-x
Facilitator

Shop around and work out for yourself the price.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Closed Thread