The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Socal to az
Banned

5270r and the Grey Market

So my next purchase was going to be a 5270r but not I'll next year as I just got my 5905. However, I've been offered a 5270r from a reputable grey market dealer at a price that I don't know that I can pass up.

My dilemma is that do I go to my regular AD and ask him to match? If he gets within a few thousand, I'll call it close enough, or do I just go with the grey dealer? Not sure my AD will be able to get close to the price.

I'm fairly certain I'll pull the trigger but not sure about buying a watch like this from someone other than an AD. But like I said, price is too good to say no to.

Would appreciate the experts feedback on this. First world problems - do I spend a 100k+ on a watch or let the money sit in the bank?
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:05 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

AD will probably laugh at you.

Guess the only way to find out is ask.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Socal to az
Banned

I pretty sure the AD will laugh also. Don't really care about that. Will there be issues if for some rare reason the watch has issues in getting it serviced etc?

I'm afraid to risk it but also afraid to pass up a good deal.
Old 6 September 2016, 10:10 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I'm afraid to risk it but also afraid to pass up a good deal.
There is always another 'good deal' just a phone call away...my .02.

Good luck.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 10:12 AM   #5
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

Can I ask how good the deal is, percentage wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1928 Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:20 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on your relationship with your AD. Can you speak frankly with your AD about discounts and the preowned watch market prices? Have you purchased enough pieces from this AD that he will sponsor you for an application piece?

After all the gray dealers don't have the overhead that ADs have and if there is any problem with the watch, will not be able to do much except to suggest you seek out warranty service. Ultimately it depends on what is the best price your AD can offer you and if that is close enough to the gray dealer price.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 12:52 PM   #7
KarlS
Banned

Unless the gap is huge I would stick with AD. Something about spending big with your AD and the future. Besides with the market as it is I bet this great deal now, may be the norm in 2017. My guess!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Socal to az
Banned

I don't wanna say prices but it's over 30% off. Well over 30% off. Not sure the ad is gonna come close. Especially when another ad told me last week at unless they get list, they won't sell it.
Old 6 September 2016, 12:59 PM   #9
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Is the piece used or still sealed? Assuming condition is mint I would opt for the grey dealer
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Socal to az
Banned

It's sealed in the box.
Old 6 September 2016, 01:09 PM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Secondary market watch prices will fluctuate depend on the supply and demand. IMO there is a greater supply than demand for 5270 pieces at the moment.

You can also get lucky and make use of currency exchange rates and VAT refund to purchase some watches at a great price. Recently that was the case in the UK with Brexit.

If you think you will keep this watch for a short time, I would recommend getting it from a gray dealer as you will lose less when you decide to sell it.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 01:10 PM   #12
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
I don't wanna say prices but it's over 30% off. Well over 30% off. Not sure the ad is gonna come close. Especially when another ad told me last week at unless they get list, they won't sell it.
That would imply that he got it for at least 40-50% off list....mmmmmm...sometimes things can be too good. I reckon you get from an AD in the UK (net of VAT) for around $110-115k. Things may have changed a bit with currency strengthening. I think it was Ł108 130 pre increase and the dealer admired that was the starting price! So 10% increase, discount and VAT back. I would also argue that as they had the watch pre price increase can't charge you higher (well they can but it's an argument)!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Socal to az
Banned

Yeah- don't know how he got it but he contact is from a family friend who I personally know so the offer is legit. Just not sure what to do. Especially cause I was going to wait a bit before the 5905.
Old 6 September 2016, 11:07 PM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
It's sealed in the box.
Sealed in the box and way over 30% off???? GO FOR IT
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2016, 11:43 PM   #15
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
AD cost is $98,400.
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 12:35 AM   #16
goog53
"TRF" Member

Unless you plan to build a relationship with your AD and apply for hard to get pieces like 5131, etc. sealed and at that steep of a discount from a trusted grey dealer seems like the logical path to Me. I think if you were transparent with your AD and just let them know the offer you have they would appreciate you giving them a shot to earn your business and if they come close then you have a decision to make
Old 7 September 2016, 01:31 AM   #17
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I think if you were transparent with your AD and just let them know the offer you have they would appreciate you giving them a shot to earn your business and if they come close then you have a decision to make
This is what I always do. Give my AD first shot to sell me the watch.
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 05:00 AM   #18
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
trusted seller makes more sense, although if getting your name on the papers is critical to you then you can use the deal of the trusted seller as bargaining chip and get the lowest price with your AD.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 05:24 AM   #19
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Always admired the 5270. Don't understand the logic behind making this watch freely available at almost every AD. Once word gets out like this the second hand market is killed
Old 7 September 2016, 05:53 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Years ago was typically was getting 35% off list. Considering the oversaturation of Pateks in the market today and that model is not 'hot' like other models. Perhaps it is a buy at 110, yet expect once opened the sell price is probably around 100 or less. That range seems a bit stagnant right now so use that as leverage with an AD.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 06:44 AM   #21
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
x2. All else being equal, give your AD a shot to make a deal with you.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 07:16 AM   #22
Socal to az
Banned

I spoke to my AD. Explained the situation. We were not able to come even close to a deal. His offer for the 5270r was substantially higher. The grey market (or is it gray market) price is the best Ive seen.

Just need to convince the spouse that Im actually saving money by buying this watch. :)

Not sure what Im gonna do.
Old 7 September 2016, 07:26 AM   #23
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I spoke to my AD. Explained the situation. We were not able to come even close to a deal. His offer for the 5270r was substantially higher. The grey market (or is it gray market) price is the best Ive seen.

Just need to convince the spouse that Im actually saving money by buying this watch. :)

At least you gave them a shot. The last thing you want to do is show up in the store wearing the piece and they think why the hell didn't he buy from us. Now they will know why which is Totally Understandable. Looking forward to the incoming
Old 7 September 2016, 07:54 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
Agree. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
x2. All else being equal, give your AD a shot to make a deal with you.
Can't hurt to ask, right Mike
Old 7 September 2016, 08:47 AM   #25
JPMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
....Just need to convince the spouse that Im actually saving money by buying this watch. :)
This is always the toughest part LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
At least you gave them a shot. The last thing you want to do is show up in the store wearing the piece and they think why the hell didn't he buy from us. Now they will know why which is Totally Understandable. Looking forward to the incoming
In my experience it is and advantage when the AD knows you have easy access to watches via the gray market.
JPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 08:55 AM   #26
Tolypop
Banned

Has there even been a Patek perpetual calendar chronograph 5970, 3970 or others that have becom

Tolypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 08:56 AM   #27
Tolypop
Banned

Sorry become classics. Same will happen with 5270

Old 7 September 2016, 09:25 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

When you do this (convince the wife) - lemme know how
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 09:48 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolypop View Post
Has there even been a Patek perpetual calendar chronograph 5970, 3970 or others that have become...k
Neither of those are rely collectible. Had a 3970er and it was nice, but just too many made. Also, it depends on when you buy, for how much, and how you account for currency devaluation. Years ago a brand new 5110r was $12500, the 5035r at 13500... but keep in kind that was about 17 years ago. Unless it is an enamel model or something really rare, I'd avoid any modern Patek.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 09:51 AM   #30
Tolypop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Neither of those are rely collectible. Had a 3970er and it was nice, but just too many made. Also, it depends on when you buy, for how much, and how you account for currency devaluation. Years ago a brand new 5110r was $12500, the 5035r at 13500... but keep in kind that was about 17 years ago. Unless it is an enamel model or something really rare, I'd avoid any modern Patek.

And your a Rolex collector.. The most mass produced watch. Who knows...