The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2021, 04:27 AM   #1
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

How long after first purchase should you wait before asking for another watch (sub)?

Hello all,

Got my first watch about a week ago, a TT DJ41 with Diamond dial. I briefly touched on other models I’m interested in but the SA hasn’t noted these yet. Should I wait before asking for a sub? I’m interested in the Kermit. There are other models on the list but some of them are spicy hot so don’t want to come across as a flipper. The sub is the model I want the most right now. Will go grey if I need to but couldn’t hurt to try the retail route first.

I was thinking of waiting until the new year maybe dropping a few general texts here and there between now and then. Is it too soon to ask 1 or 2 weeks after my first purchase or should you strike while the iron is hot so to speak. Am I overthinking?

(PS, before anyone asks. I wanted the TT DJ41 and love it. I didn’t buy it just to build a relationship. The TT DJ is my only purchase so far from this AD).

Thank you
Mdotlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:38 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
No more than 30 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:44 AM   #3
eijiboy
Banned

Tell them right away while they sizing your watch. Thats what i did when they sizing my kermit and 6 weeks later i got my ceramic ss daytona. And while shes packing my daytona i asked for gmt(batman or pepsi doesnt matter) and 7 weeks later im getting pepsi on oyster on tuesday. I should have had it last week but i was out of town for the whole week.

eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:49 AM   #4
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Immediately
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 04:57 AM   #5
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
No more than 30 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijiboy View Post
Tell them right away while they sizing your watch. Thats what i did when they sizing my kermit and 6 weeks later i got my ceramic ss daytona. And while shes packing my daytona i asked for gmt(batman or pepsi doesnt matter) and 7 weeks later im getting pepsi on oyster on tuesday. I should have had it last week but i was out of town for the whole week.

😂😂😂

The SA spent about 15 minutes talking about flipping. Apparently, they sold a two tone sub bluesy to a previous client who, apparently, gifted it to their brother. The brother then sold it. That’s the story. So, someone from Rolex head office got in contact with the AD and they were reprimanded. I just wanted opinions is all. The SA seemed wary about people asking for sought after models. Whilst I was there, a few walk ins were asking for Steel models and they were not entertained (not surprising).
Old 13 December 2021, 05:04 AM   #6
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
This is not a dis on the OP, but i get irritated when i read posts about how we should be kissing the behinds of the SA at the ADs.

I’ve seen so many posts about people asking if we should be buying them holiday gifts, etc all to get a ‘better relationship’ with them in hopes we can get elevated up the wait list for the elusive Rolex models.

ENOUGH!!! These games and shenanigans is just too much. If the AD has the watch i want I will buy. If not, I’m moving on to another AD…. Or another brand. I’m just too old to play the juvenile games.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:08 AM   #7
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdotlife View Post

The SA spent about 15 minutes talking about flipping. Apparently, they sold a two tone sub bluesy to a previous client who, apparently, gifted it to their brother. The brother then sold it. That’s the story. So, someone from Rolex head office got in contact with the AD and they were reprimanded. I just wanted opinions is all. The SA seemed wary about people asking for sought after models. Whilst I was there, a few walk ins were asking for Steel models and they were not entertained (not surprising).

I agree. They dont want to sell it to a fliper. She told me that she will sell me hot watches as long as i don’t sell them. Thats why when i travel like this and i bring my watch i send a picture of my watch wearing with a background of where I’m at to show her that i use that watch and not sold it or keeping it nib

eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:11 AM   #8
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
This is not a dis on the OP, but i get irritated when i read posts about how we should be kissing the behinds of the SA at the ADs.

I’ve seen so many posts about people asking if we should be buying them holiday gifts, etc all to get a ‘better relationship’ with them in hopes we can get elevated up the wait list for the elusive Rolex models.

ENOUGH!!! These games and shenanigans is just too much. If the AD has the watch i want I will buy. If not, I’m moving on to another AD…. Or another brand. I’m just too old to play the juvenile games.
Here here . I do agree, but this is the way it is right now for new buyers without whale history. Even people with existing history are being shunned if their spend is low. I’m ready to go grey then I’m done in terms of steel models. But if I can save a fair few grand then why not is my opinion.
Old 13 December 2021, 05:17 AM   #9
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
OP, my advice is to ask for it whenever you want. I don’t think it matters if you ask for it now for two months from now. You’ll probably not get it for awhile or at all anyways. Btw, the Kermit is a very sought after hot piece to get. From what I hear in these forums the UK is a very hard place to pick up any SS models, similar to Canada.

Will your AD think you are a flipper if you ask for it right away?.. probably will cross their minds…that you just bought the TT to get the watch you actually want to flip… that sort of thing…

When I picked up my CHNR in June I asked for my next one and was told don’t expect anything till 2023.

Good luck and be patient!!
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:17 AM   #10
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Perfectly said! All this AD relationship chatter is nauseating. If you’re the customer, step up and act like one.
Timetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:30 AM   #11
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
OP, my advice is to ask for it whenever you want. I don’t think it matters if you ask for it now for two months from now. You’ll probably not get it for awhile or at all anyways. Btw, the Kermit is a very sought after hot piece to get. From what I hear in these forums the UK is a very hard place to pick up any SS models, similar to Canada.

Will your AD think you are a flipper if you ask for it right away?.. probably will cross their minds…that you just bought the TT to get the watch you actually want to flip… that sort of thing…

When I picked up my CHNR in June I asked for my next one and was told don’t expect anything till 2023.

Good luck and be patient!!
Sound advice. I’ll drop him a text and let the chips fall where they may. Can’t tip toe around forever. Thank you.
Old 13 December 2021, 05:35 AM   #12
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Sound advice. I’ll drop him a text and let the chips fall where they may. Can’t tip toe around forever. Thank you.
And dont worry I get the questions asking how to pick up watches in this day and age. I think a lot of criticism is from people who are already established or aren’t buying at the moment..
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:45 AM   #13
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
And dont worry I get the questions asking how to pick up watches in this day and age. I think a lot of criticism is from people who are already established or aren’t buying at the moment..
Cheers
Old 13 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #14
Bigmozza
"TRF" Member

I bought a sub non date for my son 2 days ago, and asked for a SS Sky Dweller blue dial, they had one in the back they let me try on stunning watch,they said they would be able to get me one but have to wait a while, I don’t mind waiting especially for this model it’s my favourite. My point is no harm in asking my friend good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 04AB802F-5E6B-43D0-8B08-98F2EB1DF643.jpeg (68.7 KB, 307 views)
Bigmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:54 AM   #15
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmozza View Post
I bought a sub non date for my son 2 days ago, and asked for a SS Sky Dweller blue dial, they had one in the back they let me try on stunning watch,they said they would be able to get me one but have to wait a while, I don’t mind waiting especially for this model it’s my favourite. My point is no harm in asking my friend good luck
Should I go in personally or text? I have the SA’s mobile number. But don’t see the point of going in just to ask about that. I am also in the market for an omega seamaster, which they sell, but don’t want to go straight into a ‘bundle’ idea immediately. But I’m keeping that as a back up as then I’d end up with two watches I love.
Old 13 December 2021, 06:00 AM   #16
ademarco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I just picked up a sub date from an AD. The only other purchase from them was a Tudor GMT and then she put me on a list 3-4 months ago and I got the call. She asked if it was for me and only me and I said yes. While sizing my watch, I noticed a few other guys walking in asking about the “exhibition” pieces on display and the SA stated they don’t have any in stock. If I didn’t have previous business with them, then don’t think it would have been possible. Good luck on your search.
ademarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:02 AM   #17
cjhurni
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126000-0005
Might as well just say it, I'm sure they can tell who wants to flip and who doesn't. No harm in asking!
cjhurni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:17 AM   #18
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s a beauty. I hope you get it soon! (Forgot to add to my last reply to you)
Old 13 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #19
Trek360
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your pick up! I would try to go in personally when you bring up the next watch. The conversation can flow more organically and you can always follow up with a text down the line. If you don’t think you’ll be in store again soon, then text works but may be more likely forgotten. I would pick one main watch to request rather than mentioning several at the outset. Forget the super hot items right now until you have more of a history with the AD.

I remember the old days not too long ago when the SA would ask me what my next piece request was when picking up a new watch purchase. No longer.
Trek360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:21 AM   #20
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
I picked up my DSSD D-blu 4 weeks ago and I just love it. Always wanted a Pepsi GMT so popped into the same AD yesterday to register my interest. Can’t even get on the list - which is apparently about 6/7 years long. Going grey would cost over double list price - that’s just not gonna happen. So I guess I’ll never get to have one ?!
teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #21
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 06:35 AM   #22
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek360 View Post
Congrats on your pick up! I would try to go in personally when you bring up the next watch. The conversation can flow more organically and you can always follow up with a text down the line. If you don’t think you’ll be in store again soon, then text works but may be more likely forgotten. I would pick one main watch to request rather than mentioning several at the outset. Forget the super hot items right now until you have more of a history with the AD.

I remember the old days not too long ago when the SA would ask me what my next piece request was when picking up a new watch purchase. No longer.
Indeed. Things have changed, perhaps not for the better. But things can easily change again. I’ll try to get down there, if not I’ll just drop a text and see.
Old 13 December 2021, 06:36 AM   #23
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teager View Post
I picked up my DSSD D-blu 4 weeks ago and I just love it. Always wanted a Pepsi GMT so popped into the same AD yesterday to register my interest. Can’t even get on the list - which is apparently about 6/7 years long. Going grey would cost over double list price - that’s just not gonna happen. So I guess I’ll never get to have one ?!
I know exactly what you mean. A Pepsi GMT is also on my list but I really love the new Kermit. I missed out on the hulk before it got discontinued. As much as I’d prefer the hulk over the Kermit, the near triple secondary market price tag is just too much for me.
Old 13 December 2021, 06:44 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

How long do you want to wait? If you don't ask you don't get.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #25
Bigmozza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should I go in personally or text? I have the SA’s mobile number. But don’t see the point of going in just to ask about that. I am also in the market for an omega seamaster, which they sell, but don’t want to go straight into a ‘bundle’ idea immediately. But I’m keeping that as a back up as then I’d end up with two watches I love.
I like to go in person most of the time when I can, my SA at my AD is really nice to talk to, but also have sent emails & texts not a problem. Omega seamaster great watch by the way good luck
Bigmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:08 AM   #26
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
No more than 30 seconds

Yes, fitted my watch, paid for it, ordered the next one. Why wait? If you want something ask whilst you have their attention.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:10 AM   #27
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
Imagine that though, shopping for your seamaster, popping into the watch shop, trying on a few watches, having a few in front of you, making your selection and then buying one. How good is that ?!!!

Quote:
I like to go in person most of the time when I can, my SA at my AD is really nice to talk to, but also have sent emails & texts not a problem. Omega seamaster great watch by the way good luck
teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:13 AM   #28
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Every second you wait, 5 new people are added to the wait-list
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 09:23 AM   #29
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teager View Post
Imagine that though, shopping for your seamaster, popping into the watch shop, trying on a few watches, having a few in front of you, making your selection and then buying one. How good is that ?!!!
Does sound good I can’t lie
Old 13 December 2021, 09:27 AM   #30
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
You get your first Rolex and immediately want another? People can do what they want but it’s apparent to me there’s not much appreciation for the watch, just another box to check. Seems it’s all about accumulation.