The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 26 December 2007, 12:23 PM   #1
steel4me
Banned

Viewing Pics on this board...

ok,

you don't need to log in to read the board but you gotta login to see the pics. I find that very strange. Why allow partial privileges?

If you can read the board without logging in, you should be able to see the pics also, without logging in. Can you (admin) fix it if you agree with me??

thnx
steel4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2007, 12:31 PM   #2
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
I don't really see where it matters.

Personally, I think you should have to register to read, but that's just me.

I like new people -- I like what they bring to the table.

Why not make it mandatory to sign up; if so, we'd get more new people posting.
Old 26 December 2007, 12:39 PM   #3
steel4me
Banned

that's my whole point. If you are not required to register to read, then
why not give access to view pics also? why register to view the pics but not register to read?

I also agree that if registering and logging in becomes required to read the board, then the board will work more efficiently I think. It will only serve the registered users at a better
speed, not that speed is ever an issue for me. But it will only cater to the rolex buffs and
not random lookie loos ...
steel4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
I, for one, can't stand "Googling" something and finding what I'm looking for on a forum and then find out I must register to see the picture I was wanting to see; so, I guess I see where you're coming from. It pisses me off to see a thread about the object in question, but can't see the picture.

Granted, I'm here, and LOVE the place, but don't tease me with a post but no picture! I agree, it should be 100% or nothing.

However, I believe the VBB software is at fault here, not the board owner.
Old 28 December 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Funny enough, I couldn't even read the forum at work today without signing in first. Tried it again at home and same thing I always thought you could read posts without having to sign in before. Is it just me or did something change???

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well guys it is a coincidence that you brought this topic up.
I was reading about VB the other night and it occurred to me to try out something different.
So from now on, if anyone wants to read any threads they will either have to log in or become a registered member. It isn't so hard to log in or become registered.
Unregistered users will be able to view the thread titles in each of the forums, but if they wish to see content then it is either register or log in.
I hope this doesn't cause too much inconvenience to anyone.
But it doesn't make sense to be able to read posts without being logged in but when it comes to attached photographs they are not visible.
It seems to me that if anyone is half interested in getting what is some really good information, awesome photos and meeting lots of great people, the least they could do is join up on the forum.
Anyway, we'll just have to see how things go
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Watch: it, Bubba!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Well guys it is a coincidence that you brought this topic up.
I was reading about VB the other night and it occurred to me to try out something different.
So from now on, if anyone wants to read any threads they will either have to log in or become a registered member. It isn't so hard to log in or become registered.
Unregistered users will be able to view the thread titles in each of the forums, but if they wish to see content then it is either register or log in.
I hope this doesn't cause too much inconvenience to anyone.
But it doesn't make sense to be able to read posts without being logged in but when it comes to attached photographs they are not visible.
It seems to me that if anyone is half interested in getting what is some really good information, awesome photos and meeting lots of great people, the least they could do is join up on the forum.
Anyway, we'll just have to see how things go
Makes sense to me, Steve!
.Member #5380
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2007, 09:04 AM   #9
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
It will most certainly increase new user registrations. Other than that, no problem here.
Old 30 December 2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I have mixed feelings about this... I'm a member of several other forums and most, if not all, I check out first before joining. You can tell a lot by spending some time reading first as to whether the forum is 'to your liking' or 'right for me'. Some forums are saturated with inane bickering and other such nonsense. Joining is a whole lot easier than 'un-joining' so to retract a membership is kind of a PIAA when, had you realized, you never would have joined in the first place. Well, you get the point. I see nothing wrong with 'window shopping' and, if you feel comfortable with the composure of the forum, you can join at your discretion. Not that any of the negatives I cite apply here but... other than server load, lurkers don't present any problems that I can see. Just some food for thought.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Pat has a good point. I bet we miss out on a fair number of would-be members who decline to join because they can't be sure what they're getting into first. I bet most of us did a fair amount of lurking here before deciding to "take the plunge" and sign up.

In any case, we won't be hearing any whining from them it because they'll have to join before they can complain!

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote