The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2023, 12:58 AM   #61
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
It's an insane contract for sure, but really it is a perfect fit geographically. He bridges MLB's marketing for not only Japan but for all of Asia, he will pull fans in from all over not to mention the merchandise numbers he'll be responsible for. It's going to be a satisfactory contract for both sides for most of its length. The ending of the contract could be dicey depending on injury or him exceeding expectations!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 07:58 AM   #62
austinp
"TRF" Member

USD$700,000,000 SALARY - OVER 10 YEARs

Otani has been with the Angels for 6 years. I keep reading about how he will create so much interest in Japan. Weren’t they already following him? How much can the increase be?

I think this is as simple as one of the richest teams in the sport paying an outrageous amount of money to appease their upset fan base that expects to win a WS.

Sent from my iPhone using
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 08:05 AM   #63
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

C.r.e.a.m.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 08:07 AM   #64
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
C.r.e.a.m.

Indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 December 2023, 08:11 AM   #65
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Otani has been with the Angels for 6 years. I keep reading about how he will create so much interest in Japan. Weren’t they already following him? How much can the increase be?

I think this is as simple as one of the richest teams in the sport paying an outrageous amount of money to appease their upset fan base that expects to win a WS.

Sent from my iPhone using
Maybe you're right, but there will be a lot more Dodgers jerseys sold than Angles IMHO. Otani wasn't the same player at the beginning of his previous contract that he is now, we shall see how it all works out... I believe the Dodgers spent because they believe they will make it back a few fold, through multiple income streams!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 09:07 AM   #66
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

[Feinsand] Ohtani will receive $2 million per year for the next 10 years, then $68 million per year between 2034-43, per source.
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 09:48 AM   #67
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
[Feinsand] Ohtani will receive $2 million per year for the next 10 years, then $68 million per year between 2034-43, per source.
Wow! I just saw that also. I understand a deferred contract, but I expected him to get a LOT more upfront than that. He certainly knew what he wanted.
Old 12 December 2023, 10:01 AM   #68
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Interesting structure. Given he will be at the highest federal tax rate PLUS 13.3% California state income tax, he's probably taking the lowest amount possible to live on and projects being out of bb by 2034 where he will then be out of the country and perhaps at a lower tax rate? Just speculation, but there must be a logical reason for taking a fraction of the yearly salary.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:03 AM   #69
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's just money, the real benefit is using him for all they can. Intertwine his newly-created 'brand' into the team, the city, and the State. Wherever they house him, they can use that to increase home pricing. Wonder if they also pown his body scan and voice in perpetuity for VR / AR /etc , a true 360-deal like Sony did to dumb musicians.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:06 AM   #70
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Spotrac has the numbers loaded. I see he made $42M in his time with Angels. Maybe he figures he has enough while playing, given the grind of spring training and a season. He obviously wants the Dodgers to provide talent around him.

Edit: Saw that he makes $50M in endorsements per year. That explains much of it.
Old 12 December 2023, 10:16 AM   #71
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Interesting structure. Given he will be at the highest federal tax rate PLUS 13.3% California state income tax, he's probably taking the lowest amount possible to live on and projects being out of bb by 2034 where he will then be out of the country and perhaps at a lower tax rate? Just speculation, but there must be a logical reason for taking a fraction of the yearly salary.
very possible, i mean he's made 42m already and he's got so many endorsements i'm sure he's actually made over 200m given that he apparently he made 40m last year on endorsements. don't think he even needs a salary from the dodgers for these years in reality
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2023, 10:25 AM   #72
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
very possible, i mean he's made 42m already and he's got so many endorsements i'm sure he's actually made over 200m given that he apparently he made 40m last year on endorsements. don't think he even needs a salary from the dodgers for these years in reality
Very true, but the US and Eritrea in East Africa are the only countries that tax a citizen regardless of where they live or earn a living. Given he's not a US citizen, if he stands to make $680m within 10 year period then he's probably going to Monaco, Switzerland or another tax haven.
Old 12 December 2023, 11:39 AM   #73
austinp
"TRF" Member

Very interesting. Business schools will be studying the effects of this deal I’d imagine.

Old 12 December 2023, 01:49 PM   #74
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

If we do a present value (6%) and model out cash flow for the next 20 years the contract is currently worth about $39m per year.
Old 13 December 2023, 06:18 AM   #75
Ballzzz

For the Tino - Mo - Burn baby Burn - kiddo at short People

Soto Zoom conference @ 4

Lol what a world a Zoom conference to introduce the guy -

So who thinks the Yanks will close Yamamoto?
Old 13 December 2023, 10:21 AM   #76
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Soto Zoom conference @ 4

Probably Yanks or Dodgers. Who else could it be?

Old 13 December 2023, 10:32 AM   #77
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Soto Zoom conference @ 4

He was, unfortunately, largely disappointing (punctuated with a few moments of excitement) when he played here in San Diego. Let's see if the 5?6? new pitching acquisitions can bring this ball club over the .500 mark... (and more than .501!)

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 10:57 AM   #78
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
He was, unfortunately, largely disappointing (punctuated with a few moments of excitement) when he played here in San Diego. Let's see if the 5?6? new pitching acquisitions can bring this ball club over the .500 mark... (and more than .501!)

Agree with this. Looking at his stats for the year most would consider it a great season. But man he never seemed to come through when it mattered.

Old 14 December 2023, 04:36 AM   #79
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Agree with this. Looking at his stats for the year most would consider it a great season. But man he never seemed to come through when it mattered.

Sounds like most of the "best" mlb guys at this point

BUT

As the statistics seem to continue to say

CLUTCH is not a measurable stat that has any value

BUT on the topic of yanks Posada/Bernie/Tino/Jeter/Matsui etc were ALL clutch when the pressure was on

Lets see what happens but baseball is in a funny place when it comes to how we value/evaluate/pay players etc
Old 14 December 2023, 05:24 AM   #80
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Competitive balance tax to help the Dodgers get better players around him. I can't see the other owners being happy with the Dodgers circumventing the luxury tax threshold like that.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote