The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Demise of the “dress watch” ?

Is Patek trying to move into the casual market and away from the besuited dress watch image while still selling the same tried and tested watch mechanisms? Is the “Dress Watch” image a stuffy sales killer?

The 5712G, for example, is a dress watch turned casual everyday wearer simply by replacing the exotic animal strap. By doing this they are moving more main stream and away from the CEO, old man image. I think they also pushed in this direction with the 5320G which nods at vintage but is very much a modern and less crusty take on a perpetual calendar without losing the PP style.

Dress Watch out = Smart Casual in? Same watch, wider and different market?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 08:28 PM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Is Patek trying to move into the casual market and away from the besuited dress watch image while still selling the same tried and tested watch mechanisms? Is the “Dress Watch” image a stuffy sales killer?

The 5712G, for example, is a dress watch turned casual everyday wearer simply by replacing the exotic animal strap. By doing this they are moving more main stream and away from the CEO, old man image. I think they also pushed in this direction with the 5320G which nods at vintage but is very much a modern and less crusty take on a perpetual calendar without losing the PP style.

Dress Watch out = Smart Casual in? Same watch, wider and different market?
I don’t think they have a 5712G in bracelet form yet? But I see what you mean. The truth is that steel/PM bracelet watches are more versatile. The Datejust is a good example of this dress watch/casual watch conundrum. One can wear a DJ for formal events and also wear it with jeans. The bracelet is also more robust for wear as compared to strap.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:08 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The world is moving more casual, esp with SM so prominent in all our lives, even old aristocratic watch houses, so there will be a move towards creating more informal options and pieces.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Partekular
"TRF" Member

HMHM - Sorry for misleading you, I meant switching from a crocodile/alligator strap which is very smart/formal to a plain leather strap not a to a bracelet. The deployant on the exotic/plain leather strap is fixed at the deployant with a tiny screw and while removal of the strap from the watch is a simple job, getting the deployant off requires nerve free hands and a surface designed to stop the little mite escaping to the floor. One can always go to an AD to do it but that makes switching from one colour leather to another a bit of a pain.
Old 30 June 2021, 09:21 PM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HMHM - Sorry for misleading you, I meant switching from a crocodile/alligator strap which is very smart/formal to a plain leather strap not a to a bracelet. The deployant on the exotic/plain leather strap is fixed at the deployant with a tiny screw and while removal of the strap from the watch is a simple job, getting the deployant off requires nerve free hands and a surface designed to stop the little mite escaping to the floor. One can always go to an AD to do it but that makes switching from one colour leather to another a bit of a pain.
No worries. I thought you meant switching from strap to bracelet for the casual look. But I think that dress watches are experiencing a demise and it is unlikely to return in the near future unless something drastically changes. A few pieces still stand out for me personally in the current Patek Collection, particularly to 5524G, 5212, and my personal favourite the 5172. The calf skin strap of the 5172 makes it suitable for both casual and formal if you ask me
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 09:57 PM   #6
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
Who can figure iut what the heck PP is doing?? The move toward sportier stules is refrrshing in my view so u start to think maybe thre yrend is in that direction. Then they throw a curve ball by cancelling the 5960 which was hailed as the best sport watch on the planet by several writers and one of my personal favs. The extreme shortage of steel sport watches in general has helped the dress watches as they are all that one can find to buy these days. Rolex datejust being the most glaring example of this. Tons of new DJnowners would be wearing subs if they colud find them at any reasonable price Not totally a bad thing. I have found a new appreciation of the more dress style PP as a result. I think that PP will always have plenty of fine choices in dress watches. The introduction if the more sporty models have created a new PP following particulary speaking from my point of view. If AQ and Nault were available i woukd have never bought my 5524g which I love wearing. Its one of my top 3 flavorite watches at present along with my WG YM and my James Cameron
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 11:51 AM   #7
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
y'all enjoy what you wear, regardless of the occasion...

many may think this Patek is too dressy for what Ed Sheeran is wearing...

I personally see a delightful champ with great taste and confidence, almost like when my horse gallops.

(picture taken from instagram, insaneluxurylife)

Sheeran patek.jpg
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 10:28 PM   #8
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Several of pp references can be "casualized" quite beautifully with the simple strap swap. For instance, the 5146g looks fantastic the 5172 blue nubuck strap with white stitching. The 5524 looks great with brown or blue, on and on. Lots of wonderful straps to choose from. In these days where aquanauts and nautilus models are scarce (to say the least), just start switching straps for a great new refresh.
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 10:52 PM   #9
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I know less than nothing about Pateks, but I think in general an extreme minority of people dress up anymore. Casual Friday has become casual M-F. There was an article recently about whether or nor restaurants should bring back dress codes, people went insane!!! People walking into church look like they've mistaken church for a baseball game.If you want to create a 15 page war, just see the comments in response to "can I wear my Sub with a tux?" The demand dictates what product is produced.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2021, 11:14 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Patek has many complications that aren’t strictly dress models. Also the Nautilus and Aquanaut are sports models.

Perhaps they produce more Calatrava, Gondolo and Ellipses in dressy mode leading people to categorize PP as primarily a dress watch maker.

I see PP as the King of Elegant Complication and the Shaman of Sonnerie…

https://www.patek.com/resources/img/...301_375@2x.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 01:57 AM   #11
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I see PP as the King of Elegant Complication and the Shaman of Sonnerie…

https://www.patek.com/resources/img/...301_375@2x.jpg

Quite so! And one doesn’t need a horse to go with them either! 😉
Old 3 July 2021, 03:39 AM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I know less than nothing about Pateks, but I think in general an extreme minority of people dress up anymore. Casual Friday has become casual M-F. There was an article recently about whether or nor restaurants should bring back dress codes, people went insane!!! People walking into church look like they've mistaken church for a baseball game.If you want to create a 15 page war, just see the comments in response to "can I wear my Sub with a tux?" The demand dictates what product is produced.
About time dress codes were enforced in restaurants and at certain events.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 08:37 AM   #13
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
Quote:
Quite so! And one doesn’t need a horse to go with them either! 😉
Oh, Partekular, pardner....HeeHaw is not just any horse :)
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 06:55 PM   #14
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Oh, Partekular, pardner....HeeHaw is not just any horse :)
LOL.. awaiting image of Patek on horseback…

😉
Old 11 July 2021, 01:06 AM   #15
CAWatchLove
Banned

Generally speaking the world is moving more casual. Watches, business casual etc....but what you consider “dressy” (calatrava, Annual calendars etc....) will always be Patek genre and DNA and there not going anywhere. If anything those watches will be worn & incoporated in casual wear.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 01:54 AM   #16
broca00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWatchLove View Post
Generally speaking the world is moving more casual. Watches, business casual etc....but what you consider “dressy” (calatrava, Annual calendars etc....) will always be Patek genre and DNA and there not going anywhere. If anything those watches will be worn & incoporated in casual wear.
Agree. “Dress watches” will be worn casually just like “sport watches” are worn in a formal environment.
broca00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:06 AM   #17
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5205G with t-shirt and shorts all the time.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 11:09 AM   #18
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I think its not just the "style" but the specification as well. I wonder why Patek/Lange cant release say a "sturdier" dress watch style. For example a SS or Tantalum metal watch on strap with say 50m WR/5ATM with complications. Something complicated and alittle dressy but can withstand the odd splash etc.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote