The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 September 2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Hendrikus
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Advice on an AD trade-in please.....

Would really appreciate some wise wisdom.

I am going to pick up a new watch from my Rolex AD very soon (details of that incoming to follow!) but I am unsure about whether to trade-in a watch I never wear, or sell myself. I have not ever sold before, remarkably, but am now at the point where a watch that has no wrist time ever needs to be moved on.

So I have a 2008 Oyster Perpetual Date (Ref: 115210) which I bought new from AD for £2,495 back in the day. It was in fact my first ever Rolex purchase.

The AD are saying they will kindly give me what I paid for it back (by way of credit against the new watch), but I noted that Chrono 24 values my watch (in their 'watch collection' suite) at somewhere between £3,400 and £3,700. My AD say those prices are unrealistic, and I appreciate they will want to sell the watch at a profit - would you guys just take the £2,495 and avoid the hassle, or try and sell it elsewhere? Do I stand a realistic chance of making much more money if I sell myself? By the time one pays sales commission, etc etc?
Old 21 September 2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i would either make the trade, or give the watch to my wife or kids (when they are old enough).
Old 21 September 2018, 07:56 PM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrikus View Post
Would really appreciate some wise wisdom.

I am going to pick up a new watch from my Rolex AD very soon (details of that incoming to follow!) but I am unsure about whether to trade-in a watch I never wear, or sell myself. I have not ever sold before, remarkably, but am now at the point where a watch that has no wrist time ever needs to be moved on.

So I have a 2008 Oyster Perpetual Date (Ref: 115210) which I bought new from AD for £2,495 back in the day. It was in fact my first ever Rolex purchase.

The AD are saying they will kindly give me what I paid for it back (by way of credit against the new watch), but I noted that Chrono 24 values my watch (in their 'watch collection' suite) at somewhere between £3,400 and £3,700. My AD say those prices are unrealistic, and I appreciate they will want to sell the watch at a profit - would you guys just take the £2,495 and avoid the hassle, or try and sell it elsewhere? Do I stand a realistic chance of making much more money if I sell myself? By the time one pays sales commission, etc etc?
This question should probably be posted in the Rolex section, rather than in the Patek section.

However when you trade in a watch or sell one to a dealer (AD or pre-owned), you are trading convenience with a few extra bucks. You can ask yourself if the few hundred pounds is worth your time in posting the watch for sale somehwere (here or C24) and fielding questions and eventually making the transaction. The answer varies and only you can answer the question. You can probably call a few pre-owned watch stores and ask how much they are willing to take for your watch. Since they have lower overhead compared to ADs, they may offer you a little more.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:51 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The potential for an issue in selling a watch can outweigh the upside of making a few extra dollars if you get a fair value on a trade. The cost of the Rolex you are purchasing is 62% of the retail so you have a real number to see how the seller is treading you on the sale. If they have not discounted the watch you want, ask for 15% off as a starting point. I doubt they will do it but it moves you to a 5-10% that is reasonable. With a decent discount on the watch you want the figure they will give you on your watch is more palatable. In the end, get the most for your watch that you can and pay the least for the watch you are getting and it is a happy day. I look at money sitting in a watch that I do not wear or feel special about as a wasted chance to possibly get a watch that would be fun. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Hendrikus
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Really appreciate the advice, all. And apologies for posting in the wrong thread (although I guess the issue and the advice remains the same - I will at some point soon try and trade in my Calatrava for a more expensive Patek, perhaps).
Old 21 September 2018, 09:24 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You can maybe make £500 if you sell privately, if it's worth your time and hassle.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 10:47 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You can maybe make £500 if you sell privately, if it's worth your time and hassle.
^^^ what he said. Of course selling privately will generally bring you more than selling it to a reseller (your AD, etc).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 03:39 AM   #8
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Sorry to break it to you.....

The Oyster Perpetual Date 115210 is not a hot reference...

You will have a hard time selling it yourself plus 34mm is not popular among men watch....

Do the trade.... Look at the bright side you got everything back for what you pay for.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 08:46 AM   #9
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Trading at an AD is never a good ‘idea’ monetarily - it’s just convenient.

I’ve done it many times — just for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:45 PM   #10
"TRF" Member

Imagine if you had a 5711 blue dial and the AD wanted to give you what you paid for as a trade-in....now that would be a classic blunder!
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote