The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 September 2018, 01:39 AM   #1
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
AP Royal Oak 5402ST A series question

I'm trying to research the original iteration of the Royal Oak, the 5402ST A series, with a view to hunting down a nice minty piece for the collection and noted a few different conflicting descriptions of the initial run and numbering systems.

Some resources have said that an initial run of 1,000 A series were issued (call this A1 here) with a subsequent run of another 1,000 A series (call this A2 here). Then a third run of 1000 of A series were produced.

I also read that this may infer that there are two models numbered A001...A999 on the case back. I.e. there is an A1 numbered A643 and an A2 numbered A643. Is this correct?

Or was the initial run of 1000 watches (A1) numbered A001 - A999 and the second run of 1000 watches (A2) numbered A1000 - A1999? And therefore there was no third run of 1,000 A series?

Also to my mind there is a german seller on Chrono24 selling a purported A series for EUR 39,000 which is clearly not an A series (not sure if I'm allowed to link to that here).

Thanks
James
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I am no expert but my understanding is that there was not three runs of the a series. The super collectible is the under 1000 numbers. Interestingly, a few years ago these were under 20k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote