The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2018, 01:44 PM   #31
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Has a watch 'bubble' ever popped before in history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Three years ago the 116520 was not a hot watch at all. The blnr was the hottest rolex. I was buying my 116600 may 2015 and the dealer pulled a white daytona out from the safe and said it was mine if I wanted it (I had bought 1 prior watch, a blnr). I passed on it because they were going for 1k less on TRF!

I wish I had bought it and put it in the safe. Even worse the day the 116500 was announced, my patek AD who carries rolex offered me both white and black 116520s when I called. I passed

I had the exact same thoughts and experience with the 116520. Day after Basel/Daytona C announcement I was in my AD and they had black and white Daytona in the display. AD said I could buy either, had zero purchase history with them. I figured I could get one 2k cheaper on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:03 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vCoupe View Post
I had the exact same thoughts and experience with the 116520. Day after Basel/Daytona C announcement I was in my AD and they had black and white Daytona in the display. AD said I could buy either, had zero purchase history with them. I figured I could get one 2k cheaper on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your dealer isn’t in Missouri is it lol
Old 22 September 2018, 05:35 PM   #33
idontlike_bandwagons
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Don't get me wrong... I do like shiny objects.
I really like them too – okay I could only afford the model of the crown and maybe a 15202 (if this model would be in place of the 5711, I would understand the hype, because of it's history and also better finishing) at it's current state any time soon – but damn, I really like diversity (brand and type of watch) much more. Also I don't care that much about value or brand recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Demand for watches continues to fall. Rolex, PP and AP sport steel are the only signs of life. We may not even have a Basel Fair in a few years.
Demanding is still rising at the moment, you just don't notice it because social media and all higher end forums a fluted with particular models.
Most collectors only care for holding value and the desire of recognition or are just too weak not to follow the mass. There is a reason why PP, AP and Rolex are highly demanded... and no it's not because they offer the best finish or anything like that.

Also Baselworld is becoming unimportant, not because the demand is allegedly falling but rather it is totally uninteresting for consumers. It was never made for consumers and it missed it's transition to be one to stay relevant. Hayek didn't see a future in the concept and is more interested to involve consumers, that's why he decided to cancel.
idontlike_bandwagons is offline   Reply With Quote