The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2022, 02:53 AM   #9871
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
every single market is simultaneously broken
I would dare say the markets are functioning perfectly efficiently and properly right now. Very orderly discounted cash flow adjustment.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 02:56 AM   #9872
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I would dare say the markets are functioning perfectly efficiently and properly right now. Very orderly discounted cash flow adjustment.
in what way? the bond market has crashed and yields are skyrocketing, commodities have crashed, oil and energy is crashing. the dollar is on an unbelievable rally (+25% in 1 year). there's no safe haven right now besides holding cash at 8% inflation and it feels like something will break soon. it would make sense if stocks and risk assets were crashing alone but all these together?
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 03:00 AM   #9873
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
in what way? the bond market has crashed and yields are skyrocketing, commodities have crashed, oil is crashing. the dollar is on an unbelievable rally. feels like something will break soon
That's the point? In my opinion, the last 2yrs need to be unwound, and for the fed to do that at this point, some stuff will probably need to break.
Old 24 September 2022, 03:02 AM   #9874
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
That's the point? In my opinion, the last 2yrs need to be unwound, and for the fed to do that at this point, some stuff will probably need to break.
i get it but i don't consider that efficient personally lol. the fact that they're breaking the system means the opposite to me. this is a year of records in terms of how everything is coming down together. i wonder how long the dollar can stay this strong without having serious implications
Old 24 September 2022, 03:13 AM   #9875
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i get it but i don't consider that efficient personally lol. the fact that they're breaking the system means the opposite to me. this is a year of records in terms of how everything is coming down together. i wonder how long the dollar can stay this strong without having serious implications
In an engineering context of efficiency, "efficient" means how to realize the desired outcome with as little input work as possible. The efficient market hypothesis states that the market reacts near instantaneously to new information - i.e. meeting it's new low or high in short order once news is out, in that everything is always priced in. New information yielding a new bottom in a short amount of time is maximum efficiency, also known as a crash.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 03:21 AM   #9876
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’m pretty close to start buying again.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 03:31 AM   #9877
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in what way? the bond market has crashed and yields are skyrocketing, commodities have crashed, oil and energy is crashing. the dollar is on an unbelievable rally (+25% in 1 year). there's no safe haven right now besides holding cash at 8% inflation and it feels like something will break soon. it would make sense if stocks and risk assets were crashing alone but all these together?
Yes, and with respect, in exactly the way you outlined. The only * I would add is the market mechanics seems to be holding up while fed sells MBS, no liquidity crunch issues, so as mykii points out, I think this is the intended unwind. Also don’t forget we are in a kind of 15 year super cycle with dollar weakened during all the QE. So while painful (unless you’re like Soros and Drunkenmiller holding lots of puts on SPY), yes the market is working as intended when the fed signals even higher for even longer.

FWIW, I see utility costs already dropping so fingers crossed the fed will still get their soft-ish landing in 2023 and stick it like a rockstar gymnast! I hope!

I really, really don’t think S&P 3200, fed funds rates at 4-5%, housing 20% lower than today is that bad of an outcome.
Old 24 September 2022, 03:34 AM   #9878
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, and with respect, in exactly the way you outlined. The only * I would add is the market mechanics seems to be holding up while fed sells MBS, no liquidity crunch issues, so as mykii points out, I think this is the intended unwind. Also don’t forget we are in a kind of 15 year super cycle with dollar weakened during all the QE. So while painful (unless you’re like Soros and Drunkenmiller holding lots of puts on SPY), yes the market is working as intended when the fed signals even higher for even longer.

FWIW, I see utility costs already dropping so fingers crossed the fed will still get their soft-ish landing in 2023 and stick it like a rockstar gymnast! I hope!

I really, really don’t think S&P 3200, fed funds rates at 4-5%, housing 20% lower than today is that bad of an outcome.
is the fed selling MBS currently? i know they're unwinding their balance sheet but i thought it was just from letting bonds expire

S&P at 3200 isn't bad, but that's assuming you invest in the S&P or things like apple/microsoft/google/etc. i'd imagine most retail investors are down much more than 30% (if s&p lands at 3200). i do think sometime by mid 2023 things will get better though, possibly q4/q1 2023 will be the worst or maybe we're already close to the worst
Old 24 September 2022, 03:45 AM   #9879
hkuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m pretty close to start buying again.
If you don't want to see red in your portfolio on your upcoming purchases, you can buy within my account
hkuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 03:51 AM   #9880
logo
"TRF" Member

Anyone moving US funds to foreign currency on the dollar strength? Looking at Canadian markets (TSX), they’ve taken a decent hit like the S&P, and US/CAD exchange is within range of the highest peaks it’s been in over the last 20 years. I’d imagine the dollar softens as stocks begin to rebound (whenever that happens), at which time in theory you make/save money on the currency exchange while also capturing some of the rebound gains from the TSX.

** to clarify, you'd have to ensure you are not buying a dual listed stock (e.g. SHOP) as these adjust daily for currency. I'm referring above to companies only listed on the TSX.
Old 24 September 2022, 04:57 AM   #9881
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
Indeed

If I was retired I'd be all over that.

Tax break to boot.
FYI while treasuries are state tax exempt you still have to pay federal taxes, that drops a 4% yield to net ~2.6% post tax for those in the highest tax bracket. You also lock in your book yield for a year or whatever maturity treasury you buy, if you need liquidity before maturity your price could be severely down depending on the movement of rates. There are many more moving pieces behind treasury bonds than just receiving 4%.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 06:15 AM   #9882
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
In an engineering context of efficiency, "efficient" means how to realize the desired outcome with as little input work as possible. The efficient market hypothesis states that the market reacts near instantaneously to new information - i.e. meeting it's new low or high in short order once news is out, in that everything is always priced in. New information yielding a new bottom in a short amount of time is maximum efficiency, also known as a crash.
The efficient market hypothesis is a failed theory. It doesn't account for behavioral economics/finance which imo are much more impactful factors in modern portfolio management. EMH assumes market participants act rationally, and quickly adjust to new information. Neither happens in practice.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 06:46 AM   #9883
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
The efficient market hypothesis is a failed theory. It doesn't account for behavioral economics/finance which imo are much more impactful factors in modern portfolio management. EMH assumes market participants act rationally, and quickly adjust to new information. Neither happens in practice.
I don’t disagree, not suggesting EMH is the driving force of the market. Just highlighting that efficiency as a mathematical metric is highest with massive swings.
Old 24 September 2022, 07:31 AM   #9884
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is the fed selling MBS currently? i know they're unwinding their balance sheet but i thought it was just from letting bonds expire

S&P at 3200 isn't bad, but that's assuming you invest in the S&P or things like apple/microsoft/google/etc. i'd imagine most retail investors are down much more than 30% (if s&p lands at 3200). i do think sometime by mid 2023 things will get better though, possibly q4/q1 2023 will be the worst or maybe we're already close to the worst
English is hard and I am also less than intelligent, which is why I only subscribe to the long daytona plan! You are correct. Not sell.

Quote:
Wait, are you saying I need to fire my room of monkey dart throwers? Looks like I'll be back in the market for some new advisers and private bankers now. Maybe if I had wookies instead of monkeys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
FYI while treasuries are state tax exempt you still have to pay federal taxes, that drops a 4% yield to net ~2.6% post tax for those in the highest tax bracket. You also lock in your book yield for a year or whatever maturity treasury you buy, if you need liquidity before maturity your price could be severely down depending on the movement of rates. There are many more moving pieces behind treasury bonds than just receiving 4%.
Tricky tricky that federal government! Give with one hand taketh with another! I do wonder through if like when companies need some code done in old legacy languages they call up some retired people to get the job done if some old bond traders are getting called off the bench again.

It kind of feels like (based on the number of PE deals, various debt syndications I've seen fall apart in front of me that two or three generations of analysts didn't know the cell in excel for interest rate to calculate DCC might be a number other than zero) and when they had to update that cell in August, the entire spreadsheet blew up on them and they didn't know what to do.
Old 24 September 2022, 07:54 AM   #9885
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tricky tricky that federal government! Give with one hand taketh with another! I do wonder through if like when companies need some code done in old legacy languages they call up some retired people to get the job done if some old bond traders are getting called off the bench again.

It kind of feels like (based on the number of PE deals, various debt syndications I've seen fall apart in front of me that two or three generations of analysts didn't know the cell in excel for interest rate to calculate DCC might be a number other than zero) and when they had to update that cell in August, the entire spreadsheet blew up on them and they didn't know what to do.
LOL

Thankfully I stopped worrying about the stuff in your second paragraph above more than a decade ago. As to the first paragraph? I played a few chess matches against a 60+y old guy at a bar tonight and he happened to be coding at work. In COBOL of all languages...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 10:18 AM   #9886
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Time to buy WoS stock?

This just in: Retailers of luxury goods, particularly in England's tourist hot spots, will be delighted that the chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng has reversed the post-Brexit legislation that ended VAT rebates for shoppers from overseas.

In his pro-growth financial statement today, the instant VAT rebates that visitors could claim on departure from airports were restored.

“The government will introduce a modern, digital, VAT-free shopping scheme with the aim of providing a boost to the high street and creating jobs in the retail and tourism sectors,” the Treasury says.

So yes, VAT back is... back.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 12:06 PM   #9887
thedak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
I'm aware.

So let me repeat myself.
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 07:51 AM   #9888
Wolf0fallstreets
"TRF" Member

Everyone is an expert these days. Truth is nobody is honest about their true wins and losses. Most folks on here don’t understand tax strategies are just as important as buy ins during down markets.
Wolf0fallstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 08:08 AM   #9889
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You think it’s happening now?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 09:49 PM   #9890
Jacqueline
"TRF" Member

If you have not found the information firm Hedgeye you are missing out. I am a paying subscriber and they cut through the BS. I got murdered in 2020/2021 and now I am not. Hedgeye.com predicting global recession and no real upside for a while, they use data not narratives.
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 10:00 PM   #9891
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One word answers, love em.

One syllable. Now those are simply the best.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 06:25 AM   #9892
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf0fallstreets View Post
Everyone is an expert these days. Truth is nobody is honest about their true wins and losses. Most folks on here don’t understand tax strategies are just as important as buy ins during down markets.
Tax alpha is how the super wealthy get even wealthier.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 12:35 PM   #9893
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
If you have not found the information firm Hedgeye you are missing out. I am a paying subscriber and they cut through the BS. I got murdered in 2020/2021 and now I am not. Hedgeye.com predicting global recession and no real upside for a while, they use data not narratives.
Please, no cheap shilling in here.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 01:15 PM   #9894
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tax alpha is how the super wealthy get even wealthier.
Lol, nice, first time I heard of the phrase 'tax alpha'. Love it. So true. All those lobbying dollars to preserve carried interest in the US also probably a good ROI.

In other news, forget stocks, holy moly on the USD. If you told me pound/dollar was going to be approaching parity, I would have spit my coffee all over you.
Old 26 September 2022, 09:41 PM   #9895
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lol, nice, first time I heard of the phrase 'tax alpha'. Love it. So true. All those lobbying dollars to preserve carried interest in the US also probably a good ROI.

In other news, forget stocks, holy moly on the USD. If you told me pound/dollar was going to be approaching parity, I would have spit my coffee all over you.
gbp trading got halted last night lol
Old 27 September 2022, 02:37 AM   #9896
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

to anyone who actually understands this unlike me, how bad is the situation in the uk (is it bad?) with the gbp or what does it mean if it continues?
Old 27 September 2022, 12:57 PM   #9897
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Tax alpha is how the super wealthy get even
wealthier.
Understanding tax code and their implications is certainly underrated.

Quote:
to anyone who actually understands this unlike me, how bad is the situation in the uk (is it bad?) with the gbp or what does it mean if it continues?
Not an expert on UK economy but from what I understand, the top tax rate was cut from 45% to 19%. If the UK is anything like the US, those in the top bracket pay a very high percentage of incoming revenue to the govt. If that's is suddenly cut by more than half, then it could be a problem. Couple this with govt subsidizing citizens on energy costs and you have a somewhat precarious position.

I believe the more pressing question for the UK will be the impact of scarce energy supplies this winter. It's going to be difficult for both citizens and industry alike.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 06:38 PM   #9898
MechMovement
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1) Top rate of income tax has been cut from 45% to 40%
Reason for this accordig to the government was the top rate of 45% was detracting from talented people from coming to this country and the trade off of reducing the top rate by 5% should result in more overall tax inflow.

2) Government is subsidising our energy bills, a £2500 cap has been introduced. Essentially paying private companies with public money to artificially lower end consumer bills.

3) VAT free shopping to return for tourists.

4) There seems to be some lack of undertanding between the trasury and the bank of england as the BOE are lagging behind the US in terms of hiking interest rates and the government has just gone ahead and borrowed XXbillions of £.

5) National insurance increase of 1.25% abolished

6) Property stamp duty changes

I believe largely this is a (mis)calculated gamble from the government. If it works... masterstroke however the market seems to be pricing and reacting in a way that the UK is going to default on it's debt.

There is a whole lot more to be said on the matter but essentially USD is moving/controlling markets here.

You can read more here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62920969
MechMovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 09:36 PM   #9899
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Not an expert on UK economy but from what I understand, the top tax rate was cut from 45% to 19%. If the UK is anything like the US, those in the top bracket pay a very high percentage of incoming revenue to the govt. If that's is suddenly cut by more than half, then it could be a problem. Couple this with govt subsidizing citizens on energy costs and you have a somewhat precarious position.

I believe the more pressing question for the UK will be the impact of scarce energy supplies this winter. It's going to be difficult for both citizens and industry alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechMovement View Post
1) Top rate of income tax has been cut from 45% to 40%
Reason for this accordig to the government was the top rate of 45% was detracting from talented people from coming to this country and the trade off of reducing the top rate by 5% should result in more overall tax inflow.

2) Government is subsidising our energy bills, a £2500 cap has been introduced. Essentially paying private companies with public money to artificially lower end consumer bills.

3) VAT free shopping to return for tourists.

4) There seems to be some lack of undertanding between the trasury and the bank of england as the BOE are lagging behind the US in terms of hiking interest rates and the government has just gone ahead and borrowed XXbillions of £.

5) National insurance increase of 1.25% abolished

6) Property stamp duty changes

I believe largely this is a (mis)calculated gamble from the government. If it works... masterstroke however the market seems to be pricing and reacting in a way that the UK is going to default on it's debt.

There is a whole lot more to be said on the matter but essentially USD is moving/controlling markets here.

You can read more here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62920969
thanks

i can't imagine subsidizing energy is gonna turn out great but also the situation there this winter looks like it'll be very painful. all those points overall seem like too much of a gamble for a country like that

hopefully the dollar starts to cool off a bit and we get some relief everywhere in the mean time
Old 28 September 2022, 11:08 AM   #9900
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Covered shorts today and went all cash. Not long yet, but this market is hugely oversold short term and is begging for a reason to bounce. It’ll be another bear market rally, ultimate bottom not near but this downward thrust can’t go on much longer. Every indicator I follow is flashing buy. Thoughts?
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote